Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

Man, you're on a f'ing role right now. 

People mention QB's that are not even semi-adequate and keep looking at Geno instead of Bryce and Hackenberg. Resigning Fitzpatrick isnt a stupid idea, it strengthens the position greatly. However, not signing Fitz to what he wants...to the point where they were willing to have him sit through Free Agency this entire offseason shows exactly what the Jets think of Fitz and the risk they're willing to take in order to get him at the price "they want". 

Signing Fitz secures the position. If Geno gets injured, either on the field or in the locker room that front office will not want a guy like Bryce Petty, that they prefer hiding on the practice squad, suddenly as the starter of this team. 

Fitz is popular and Geno is unpopular. However they arrived at those status levels is irrelevant: that is how things are. 

He can lose with Fitz this year and be ok. The wasted cap hit will be shortly forgotten just like only a handful of us still bring up the huge waste on Cromartie. However he cannot lose with Geno unless he knows he has an ace in the hole with Hackenberg or Petty. Even if he believed in Geno - and there's no reason to think he does - he can't be stupid enough to bet his career on such a player after 3 unceremonious seasons, no matter what his physical gifts may be. Not unless he shows the world he made Fitz a more than fair offer, and got turned down. Even with that it's a risk, even if it's a more calculated one.

Sure, he'll look brilliant if starting Geno somehow works, but talk about your long shots (in particular with this schedule out of the gate). A GM position is hard to come by. He's been working his whole life to get where he is today. This is the top rung of where he wants to be; it's the peak of the mountain. The task before himself personally is to stay in this position. The best way of getting a 2nd GM contract is not betting and losing the first one on a turnover-prone jerk that the fan base mostly detests. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Fitz is popular and Geno is unpopular. However they arrived at those status levels is irrelevant: that is how things are. 

He can lose with Fitz this year and be ok. The wasted cap hit will be shortly forgotten just like only a handful of us still bring up the huge waste on Cromartie. However he cannot lose with Geno unless he knows he has an ace in the hole with Hackenberg or Petty. Even if he believed in Geno - and there's no reason to think he does - he can't be stupid enough to bet his career on such a player after 3 unceremonious seasons, no matter what his physical gifts may be. Not unless he shows the world he made Fitz a more than fair offer, and got turned down. Even with that it's a risk, even if it's a more calculated one.

Sure, he'll look brilliant if starting Geno somehow works, but talk about your long shots (in particular with this schedule out of the gate). A GM position is hard to come by. He's been working his whole life to get where he is today. This is the top rung of where he wants to be; it's the peak of the mountain. The task before himself personally is to stay in this position. The best way of getting a 2nd GM contract is not betting and losing the first one on a turnover-prone jerk that the fan base mostly detests. 

I think Mac follows both his own savvy and his CS.  My take is that Chan tells him he can win with Geno (with possible upside) but that Fitz (future backup/mentor) is $omewhat better.  What we are witnessing is Mac not overpaying and not underpaying.    

8 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I honestly don't agree with this.  This is the closest we've had to a professionally run front office since the Parcells era.  I don't think Woody, or the fans for that matter, are going to throw Macc under the bus that quickly.  You are spot on he needs to find a QB and he reached a fair amount for Hackenberg but if he continues to rebuild the roster and create a nucleus of talent and a winning culture, I think most will be patient...

You are judging based on hindsight poor team results. Idzik ran it "professionally" as well (well, until that embarrassing presser anyway lol). The reason he got fired was for poor results, and Maccagnan inherited a far more favorable situation (not the least of which was augmented by the miraculous, cheap availability of Brandon Marshall. Give him credit for pouncing on Marshall, but if he's not available there's nothing to pounce on). 

Culture shmulture. The fan base - every fan base - likes a winner. If he goes back to Geno and loses he is on the clock to find a QB fast. With all the professionalism and culture and whatever else, consider how this will play out if Hackenberg stinks out of the gate:

• 2013 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2014 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2015 Geno is knocked out, his veteran backup starts, and the Jets win 10 games. Surely the team must now see the light!
  • 2016 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2017 reach 2nd-round pick Hackenberg starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse

Sorry, but he's getting fired if he goes from 2015 to 2016 to 2017 like that. Again, I credit him for surely realizing this.

Just now, drdetroit said:

He's reporting that Mac knows what he's doing 

The reports are conflicting.  If that makes you feel better about the GM, that's great.  I dont see your angle but all good in the hood. 

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

The reports are conflicting.  If that makes you feel better about the GM, that's great.  I dont see your angle but all good in the hood. 

I disagree. I think Mac has done a terrible job in this negotiation. No team battles on a contract with their starting Qb like this. For over two months. And reportedly without budging off of their offer. They usually will overpay them a little rather than fight with them. You don't rebuild after a 10-6. You try to improve on it and make the playoffs. If he's willing to take a one year contract (and you don't think he is going to be your starter in the future) give it to him and then let him leave. The cap numbers can be worked out. Why insist that he takes a backup job in the future and sign a deal he doesn't like. The idea is that you're supposed to have a good relationship with your starting Qb.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I dont think anyone here thinks that Macc's/Bowles careers would suddenly be on the line with Geno as the QB this season. Furthermore, I dont think Macc got to where he was by playing it "safe", so why switch up now? 

I cant tell you whether Macc believes in Geno or not, but neither can you. We can only go by the actions of the team, and right now they're willing to move forward with Geno instead of allowing Fitz to bend him over the negotiation table. 

Macc should be confident in the coaching staff he has here along with the talent he signed. Its not all on the QB. We like to think of it that way, when it comes to franchise/elite QB's its usually that way, but for the most part that's not the way teams should be designed. 

Having big targets with a huge catch radius and crisp route running can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a defense that can keep scores in control can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a dynamic running attack can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a good offensive scheme from an OC can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. 

Sometimes playing it safe will put you in position to where you're looking at getting a 2nd GM contract. Sometimes taking a risk will put you in position to where you're looking at getting a 2nd GM contract.  The bottomline is that Macc's outlook should be to keep the one he currently has. The fact that he's going through all of this with Fitzpatrick proves that Macc knows that Fitzpatrick was more of a beneficiary of last seasons success and not really the reason. 

That could give him the confidence to give a guy who has more talent than Fitz a shot. 

On June 2, 2016 at 9:36 AM, johnnysd said:

Mac and Bowles job is in zero danger this year. I still maintain that it is really only Bowles that wants Fitz back and Mac is trying to do that under specific criteria. All these leaks point to the Jets not budging in negotiations and possibly even moving backward. 

I didn't say this year. I said if they don't re-sign the very available Ryan Fitzpatrick, then lose with Geno this year, then then lose again with a lousy-looking Hackenberg next year, then his job will be in serious jeopardy.

The thing you're not considering, because it isn't there today, is if it goes down like I just outlined there will be a huge fan and media backlash against him on a daily basis. Woody clearly gets influenced by such, so it won't just be the on-paper results. And unlike Idzik he won't even be able to say to Woody, "Hey you are the one who forced me to keep Rex for 2 years, and I inherited a sh*t roster and no cap room on top of that." Maccagnan will have no such easy (and frankly, valid) excuses.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I disagree. I think Mac has done a terrible job in this negotiation. No team battles on a contract with their starting Qb like this. They usually will overpay them a little rather than fight with them. You don't rebuild after a 10-6. You try to improve on it and make the playoffs. 

I never gave my take on the negotiation or Mac for that matter, I was just laughing at the ridiculous reporting on it all.  But in general, if you're asking, I'm very concerned about Mac.  I think he's done a terrible job of managing the cap, I think he's emphasized high priced FA veterans and has ultimately put the Jets in a very tough situation with an aging team, no QB, a ton of inhouse decisions and had 2 cross your fingers and hope for the best type of drafts. 

I dont think anyone here thinks that Macc's/Bowles careers would suddenly be on the line with Geno as the QB this season. Furthermore, I dont think Macc got to where he was by playing it "safe", so why switch up now? 

I cant tell you whether Macc believes in Geno or not, but neither can you. We can only go by the actions of the team, and right now they're willing to move forward with Geno instead of allowing Fitz to bend him over the negotiation table. 

Macc should be confident in the coaching staff he has here along with the talent he signed. Its not all on the QB. We like to think of it that way, when it comes to franchise/elite QB's its usually that way, but for the most part that's not the way teams should be designed. 

Having big targets with a huge catch radius and crisp route running can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a defense that can keep scores in control can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a dynamic running attack can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. Having a good offensive scheme from an OC can help QB's not named Fitzpatrick. 

Sometimes playing it safe will put you in position to where you're looking at getting a 2nd GM contract. Sometimes taking a risk will put you in position to where you're looking at getting a 2nd GM contract.  The bottomline is that Macc's outlook should be to keep the one he currently has. The fact that he's going through all of this with Fitzpatrick proves that Macc knows that Fitzpatrick was more of a beneficiary of last seasons success and not really the reason. 

That could give him the confidence to give a guy who has more talent than Fitz a shot. 

Again, read what I just posted to johnnysd. I didn't say his career would suddenly be on the line this season. Also I don't agree that he hasn't been playing things safe. Not playing it safe would be determining he doesn't have a known+good QB and not using up 2 years of Idzik frugality to put lipstick on a pig. That would be riskier. "Safe" is feeding the mob, which he did.

A one year deal makes too much sense to ignore given the current debate. Fitz has to believe in himself and it sounds like he's putting his money where his mouth is. Fitz gets a nice pay raise from last season and he gets to revisit his worth on the open market after this season. If the Jets are unwilling, then it sounds like the Jets are at fault here and not Fitz.

2 minutes ago, JiF said:

I never gave my take on the negotiation or Mac for that matter, I was just laughing at the ridiculous reporting on it all.  But in general, if you're asking, I'm very concerned about Mac.  I think he's done a terrible job of managing the cap, I think he's emphasized high priced FA veterans and has ultimately put the Jets in a very tough situation with an aging team, no QB, a ton of inhouse decisions and had 2 cross your fingers and hope for the best type of drafts. 

I think the Jets have a chance in 2016 to make the playoffs. And their best chance to win is with Fitz. Sure he's 33 and not the future but either maybe are any of those other guys on the roster. You go for it this year imo. That 12 mil for one year is not a big deal for the Jets. It does not give him any guaranteed money in the future which is usually the sticking point in negotiations. Teams don't want to commit money on a player who could regress. That's why they won't sign Mo. This deal doesn't have that. I think that Mac is just trying to cover his ass in case Hack and Petty are busts. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Again, read what I just posted to johnnysd. I didn't say his career would suddenly be on the line this season. Also I don't agree that he hasn't been playing things safe. Not playing it safe would be determining he doesn't have a known+good QB and not using up 2 years of Idzik frugality to put lipstick on a pig. That would be riskier. "Safe" is feeding the mob, which he did.

I read it. There must be alot of losing going on in order to get to that point. I believe that if he was able to get 10 wins out of Fitz, when no one else in the league for 10 seasons was able to do it, I think that he'll be alright. 

14 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I think Mac follows both his own savvy and his CS.  My take is that Chan tells him he can win with Geno (with possible upside) but that Fitz (future backup/mentor) is $omewhat better.  What we are witnessing is Mac not overpaying and not underpaying.    

I don't think they'd win with either one. Bringing back Fitz, and losing with him, is an easier PR battle to win even if it's ultimately a waste on paper. Name a Jets QB less popular than Geno Smith is today. You'd have to go back quite a while. If Maccagnan was a PR master who could play the media like a violin then maybe he could get away with that. He admits this is not his thing, and it's important for any successful people to know what they're great at, what they're good at, and what they kind of fake/BS their way through doing.

He's not going to be able to spin losing with Geno then losing with a bust in Hackenberg (should that happen).  So far he's gotten a little lucky. Really, what if instead of trading for Sanchez, Elway was willing to one-up Macc, Denver repeated going to the playoffs in 2016 (with Fitz starting), while the Jets regress to 6-10 with Geno Smith and a pair of late December multi-turnover games from Hackenberg? The fans and media would be laying daily turds on his head. 

13 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

You are judging based on hindsight poor team results. Idzik ran it "professionally" as well (well, until that embarrassing presser anyway lol). The reason he got fired was for poor results, and Maccagnan inherited a far more favorable situation (not the least of which was augmented by the miraculous, cheap availability of Brandon Marshall. Give him credit for pouncing on Marshall, but if he's not available there's nothing to pounce on). 

Culture shmulture. The fan base - every fan base - likes a winner. If he goes back to Geno and loses he is on the clock to find a QB fast. With all the professionalism and culture and whatever else, consider how this will play out if Hackenberg stinks out of the gate:

• 2013 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2014 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2015 Geno is knocked out, his veteran backup starts, and the Jets win 10 games. Surely the team must now see the light!
  • 2016 Geno starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse
  • 2017 reach 2nd-round pick Hackenberg starts and sucks and the Jets are .500 or worse

Sorry, but he's getting fired if he goes from 2015 to 2016 to 2017 like that. Again, I credit him for surely realizing this.

I don't think you can look at this in a vacuum.  If Macc doesn't sign Fitz, goes with Geno and nothing else changes with the roster, he will look awful if neither Petty or Hack evolve.  If, however, he goes with Geno and uses the cap space to work Mo into a long term deal I think people would be less inclined to pull out the pitch forks.

In my mind if Macc winds up adding any gtee money to years 2 and 3 to secure Fitz and that pushes any hope of a long term deal for Mo out the door, he will look worse...

I read it. There must be alot of losing going on in order to get to that point. I believe that if he was able to get 10 wins out of Fitz, when no one else in the league for 10 seasons was able to do it, I think that he'll be alright. 

I don't. Tannenbaum got sh*tcanned just 2 years removed from a far more successful season than the 2015 Jets just had. 

2 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I don't think you can look at this in a vacuum.  If Macc doesn't sign Fitz, goes with Geno and nothing else changes with the roster, he will look awful if neither Petty or Hack evolve.  If, however, he goes with Geno and uses the cap space to work Mo into a long term deal I think people would be less inclined to pull out the pitch forks.

In my mind if Macc winds up adding any gtee money to years 2 and 3 to secure Fitz and that pushes any hope of a long term deal for Mo out the door, he will look worse...

I don't. See my above post. 

Put aside any actual wisdom in of overpaying Fitzpatrick. If he doesn't sign Fitz, then whiffs with Geno, then whiffs with Hackenberg, his job is in serious jeopardy. 

Macc so far has proven to be a competent GM in both FA and the draft thus far. I think he has Woody's support unequivocally on this. Fitz is not a solution, he's a stopgap. Fitz is very likely not to play as well as last year. The value in Fitz like others said is to not have to throw Hack or Petty in as the immediate backup if Geno gets hurt. It's value added to the position as a whole. Per some recent report Geno is ranked 29th, Fitz is 26. Those rankings are probably just about right. So clearly we're not making a huge stink about the money with intents of improving drastically, we're making a stink about the money because it's about improving depth.

Woody is an odd guy, and Jets fans even odder, but no GM is getting fired because he didn't secure the services of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Let's be real here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac has had time to sign Mo even before this Fitz situation. They put the tag on him for almost 16 mil in 2016. There were rumors that Mac was trying to trade Mo during the draft and willing to give him up for under a 1st round draft pick. Mac has so far not been willing to give Mo a multi-year contract. So the Fitz situation has little to do with Mo. Because if things are they way they stand now with or without Fitz Mo is on the team for 16 mil in 2016. He can sign him to a multi-year deal if he wants to. And probably get some more cap space out of it for 2016. 

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Put aside any actual wisdom in of overpaying Fitzpatrick. If he doesn't sign Fitz, then whiffs with Geno, then whiffs with Hackenberg, his job is in serious jeopardy. 

I think if he whiffs with Geno and Fitzpatrick is even competent anywhere else then he will have serious questions to answer.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't. Tannenbaum got sh*tcanned just 2 years removed from a far more successful season than the 2015 Jets just had. 

Yet in hindsight Tannenbaum was never a good GM. You dont need to believe it when it comes to Macc, which is understandable. But what we both know is that Tanny would been terrible during the draft, Suh would have been a Jet and Fitz would have have had a 7 year deal worth 12 million per by now. 

sh*t like that (extending Sanchez because he hurt his feelings, not being able to capitalize on those successful seasons because he destroyed the cap to the point where we had to sacrifice another GM just to get it right) is why Tanny got canned. 

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

But that goes for any GM. If you're doing alot of whiffing then eventually you're going to get canned, unless you're Marvin Lewis of course! 

14 minutes ago, rillo said:

I would tend to think that's the case, but not because Mehta reported it. It's because they were never offering $12M for year one to begin with. The only reason they were paying $12M this year on a 3 yr deal is because it's part of his 2017 and 2018 compensation. In other words, it is NOT $12M for 2016. 

Fitzpatrick's "reluctant retreat" in this regard (as it's being leaked) would be no retreat at all. It's still 50% more than the Jets are offering.

If he takes $8M that can grow to $12M or more for certain team success, then that's more reasonable. $8M base, $12M if team makes playoffs, $16M if team makes/wins SB (hell I don't care if it's a $50M NLTBE incentive for a SB win). I still think the base is high, but then I conveniently don't have to fight a PR war like Maccagnan does.

9 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Macc so far has proven to be a competent GM in both FA and the draft thus far. I think he has Woody's support unequivocally on this. Fitz is not a solution, he's a stopgap. Fitz is very likely not to play as well as last year. The value in Fitz like others said is to not have to throw Hack or Petty in as the immediate backup if Geno gets hurt. It's value added to the position as a whole. Per some recent report Geno is ranked 29th, Fitz is 26. Those rankings are probably just about right. So clearly we're not making a huge stink about the money with intents of improving drastically, we're making a stink about the money because it's about improving depth.

Woody is an odd guy, and Jets fans even odder, but no GM is getting fired because he didn't secure the services of Ryan Fitzpatrick. Let's be real here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On balance I totally agree. To be fair, though, that "ranking" was just Prisco's personal ranking. I'm not going to pretend he's no longer an asshat because I don't totally disagree with him on one thing. More like the Broken Clock Theorem. 

5 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

But that goes for any GM. If you're doing alot of whiffing then eventually you're going to get canned, unless you're Marvin Lewis of course! 

I am not talking about a lot of whiffing. I am specifically talking about QB. Going with Geno and not having a successful season is hardly far-fetched. What he is then banking his career upon is Hackenberg the following season. 

At first glance it may look like event after event after event. In actuality it's mostly just Hackenberg panning out. He could survive that if he retains Fitz because he is publicly a far more acceptable stopgap. 

The problem with Fitz this year if he leaves is getting a chance to play somewhere else. He can get a contract for sure but most of the starting jobs in 2016 are accounted for. That could change. Some years there are more openings but younger Qbs have played well and won the jobs. The Fitz haters keep saying there is no demand for him so he has to take Mac's offer love it or leave it. This isn't the way you negotiate a contract esp with your starting Qb. You don't try to box him in a corner and say take it or leave it. It defeats the entire purpose of signing him in the first place which is to successfully lead your team. It also gives a message to his teammates. 

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I am not talking about a lot of whiffing. I am specifically talking about QB. Going with Geno and not having a successful season is hardly far-fetched. What he is then banking his career upon is Hackenberg the following season. 

At first glance it may look like event after event after event. In actuality it's mostly just Hackenberg panning out. He could survive that if he retains Fitz because he is publicly a far more acceptable stopgap. 

So you;'re basically saying don't go for it in 2016. We're not going to make playoffs anyways so why bother.

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Yet in hindsight Tannenbaum was never a good GM. You dont need to believe it when it comes to Macc, which is understandable. But what we both know is that Tanny would been terrible during the draft, Suh would have been a Jet and Fitz would have have had a 7 year deal worth 12 million per by now. 

sh*t like that (extending Sanchez because he hurt his feelings, not being able to capitalize on those successful seasons because he destroyed the cap to the point where we had to sacrifice another GM just to get it right) is why Tanny got canned. 

It is about perception not merit. If Sanchez panned out Tannenbaum would still be the GM no matter what else he did. He'd be seen as really smart for locking up Sanchez while it was still cheap to do so. In fact, that's what he thought he was doing. 

I doubt very much he'd have touched Suh if he was still with the Jets because he'd have his own self-inflicted cap issues. Or if he did, it merely would have been Suh instead of Revis.

In the end, he bet his career on the wrong QB and lost. Personally I would be surprised if Fitz is not back. If not, though, he's betting his career on Geno up against a tough schedule, then 2nd yr Hackenberg. People have lost GM jobs over far less risky bets.

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Going in with Fitzpatrick and not having a successful season isnt hardly far-fetched as well. Either way he'll have the opportunity to see Hackenberg because he'll be here. 

Personally I dont think that his job is attached to Hackenberg either. Hack is a 2nd round pick, not a high first. What I like about Macc is that he understands that there needs to be a balance. Not just a defensive minded team with all of the top guys on that side of the ball. Sure, failing with Geno isnt far-fetched, but failing with Geno while not providing him with anything on that side of the ball, purging the team and having a bottom 12 defense is pretty much a certainty, not just for Geno, but it would have been for Fitz and it would be for Hackenberg. 

Macc is providing talent. Doing that can produce results and build confidence, something that this team has not had since 2009/10. The problem then is that they werent hitting on draft picks for replenishment. 

Just now, Rangers9 said:

So you;'re basically saying don't go for it in 2016. We're not going to make playoffs anyways so why bother.

Go for what? I don't think Fitzpatrick makes us a playoff team, and certainly not a SB team that's going to win back-to-back-back playoff games against the AFC's best. Further, your idea of going for it in 2016 also makes things that much less likely for 2017 because he will be fully paid with 2017 cap dollars. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Fitz has made the playoffs as many times as Geno has.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It is about perception not merit. If Sanchez panned out Tannenbaum would still be the GM no matter what else he did. He'd be seen as really smart for locking up Sanchez while it was still cheap to do so. In fact, that's what he thought he was doing. 

I doubt very much he'd have touched Suh if he was still with the Jets because he'd have his own self-inflicted cap issues. Or if he did, it merely would have been Suh instead of Revis.

In the end, he bet his career on the wrong QB and lost. Personally I would be surprised if Fitz is not back. If not, though, he's betting his career on Geno up against a tough schedule, then 2nd yr Hackenberg. People have lost GM jobs over far less risky bets.

Its about results, not perception. Sanchez could have been a bust, but that didnt mean that just about every other first round and 2nd round, and 3rd round picks had to be busts too. His management skills were terrible along with his drafting skills. 

Archived