Report: Fitzpatrick Prepared to Accept One-Year Deal From Jets

JetNation

8 hours ago, Ghost said:

LOL @ everyone not in favor of this deal. 

1. Fitz, without a doubt, gives us the best chance to win football games. 

2. It's a 1-year deal. Will not hurt us in the future financially. 

3. Geno sucks dick. 

Of course it will affect us in the future since we do not have 12 mil in cap space lying around. We will need to take that money from next years cap one way or another. An extra 4 mil will not kill us, but it will hurt. 

The other problem is a precedent setting cave in. Everyone will know that if you wait us out we will give in to your demands.

No we cannot give 12 mil for one year. Split the difference and offer 8mil plus 2 mil for starting 14 games plus 2 mil for playoffs. That's a fair compromise. Has to come with a dummy year 2. 

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, j4jets said:

Again, you're more focused on the annual breakdown rather than the entire contract. 3 years deal with $6mil salary each year plus $6 mil signing bonus. The signing bonus, in theory, is for the entire contract, that's why it's allocated over all the years. His cap charge for each year in this case would be $8 mil.

Which backup makes $8mil a year?

None. This 3 year 24 mil contract would make him the 23rd highest paid QB which is right in line with his value. I'd rate him around 20th but with no upside. 

9 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Camp battle 

May the best QB win 

I'm rooting for Geno if he gives us the best chance to win 

In Todd Bowles we trust

Yes.  We are paying Fitz 12 million to battle it out in camp and let Geno start.  If the  Jets thought for one nanosecond Geno was a semi adequate starter they would already wished Fitz a happy retirement.  

Geno starting to undermine Fitz camp strategy by playing well in camp.

Another solid performance in Mini Camp and Fitz will take the deal.

Load Fitz deal with incentives if he wins the starting job in yr. 2 &3 along with performance and playoff bonus $

Maybe if he hits on all the incentives he can bring the value up to 3 yr/ $48m

3 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Geno starting to undermine Fitz camp strategy by playing well in camp.

Another solid performance in Mini Camp and Fitz will take the deal.

Load Fitz deal with incentives if he wins the starting job in yr. 2 &3 along with performance and playoff bonus $

Maybe if he hits on all the incentives he can bring the value up to 3 yr/ $48m

One has nothing to do with the other. Geno has played well in camp before and it's never materialized. Bowles and Mac know that they don't want Geno as their QB and have said as much over and over again. The only thing stopping this deal is money. This has zero to do with Geno.

17 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes.  We are paying Fitz 12 million to battle it out in camp and let Geno start.  If the  Jets thought for one nanosecond Geno was a semi adequate starter they would already wished Fitz a happy retirement.  

You cant really assume what the Jets are thinking about Geno until Fitz signs on the dotted line to a particular price. This thread is about what Fitz is allegedly prepared to sign, not what the Jets actually offered. If the Jets were really that concerned then why did they even run the risk of letting Fitzpatrick walk in free agency which would have made Geno the starter anyway? If they truly didnt think that Geno was even a semi-adequate starter, Fitz would have been resigned on or before March 15th. 

Instead, Fitzpatrick is telling whomever what he's prepared to sign while the jets are telling Fitzpatrick what he's been offered. All this while Geno is taking snaps with the 1's. 

7 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

The jets have no choice.. Why would they offer him 12 mil guaranteed for next yr and only 6 next two ? That'd retarded.. They are willing to pay him 12 to start next yr but only if he takes backup $ the next two ? lol..  This 1 yr deal should have been agreed on a long time ago.. Fitz isn't good enough to earn a long term deal. But he should get the chance to prove it on the field that last yr wasn't a fluke.. If he improves on last yr maybe he gets a 1 yr deal for 15 mil from the jets in 17

Because the Jets actually offered him a 3 year 24mm deal ($8mm per) - that happened to be front loaded.  

Pay more upfront than what he's worth but have control of him the next two years at a fair price. 

paying him $12mm for 1 year would be a terrible move for the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Because the Jets actually offered him a 3 year 24mm deal ($8mm per) - that happened to be front loaded.  

Pay more upfront than what he's worth but have control of him the next two years at a fair price. 

paying him $12mm for 1 year would be a terrible move for the Jets. 

This masked freak gets it!!

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

You cant really assume what the Jets are thinking about Geno until Fitz signs on the dotted line to a particular price. This thread is about what Fitz is allegedly prepared to sign, not what the Jets actually offered. If the Jets were really that concerned then why did they even run the risk of letting Fitzpatrick walk in free agency which would have made Geno the starter? If they truly didnt think that Geno was even a semi-adequate starter, Fitz would have been signed on March 15th. 

Instead, Fitzpatrick is telling whomever what he's prepared to sign while the jets are telling Fitzpatrick what he's been offered. All this while Geno is taking snaps with the 1's. 

That just makes no sense at all.  If the Jets felt that Geno was even a "semi adequate starter" then there would be no offer to Fitzpatrick at all let alone a slowly escalating one.

The fact that they are even in a protracted pirouette with Ryan Fitzpatrick here is the beginning, the middle and the end of the story for how they really feel about Geno Smith.

BTW I think I am on record as saying that in my opinion the Jets are going to have a down year no matter which of the two is the starter so they are better served to save 12 million, to hold their noses and go with Geno.  It is better for the team in the long run even though Geno is terrible.  Maybe we end up with the super-high draft pick dividend out of such a strategy.  Maybe the "extra" 12 million or so helps us to sign Wilkerson some way some how.

12 minutes ago, EM31 said:

That just makes no sense at all.  If the Jets felt that Geno was even a "semi adequate starter" then there would be no offer to Fitzpatrick at all let alone a slowly escalating one.

The fact that they are even in a protracted pirouette with Ryan Fitzpatrick here is the beginning, the middle and the end of the story for how they really feel about Geno Smith.

BTW I think I am on record as saying that in my opinion the Jets are going to have a down year no matter which of the two is the starter so they are better served to save 12 million, to hold their noses and go with Geno.  It is better for the team in the long run even though Geno is terrible.  Maybe we end up with the super-high draft pick dividend out of such a strategy.  Maybe the "extra" 12 million or so helps us to sign Wilkerson some way some how.

This makes no sense at all. Why continue with hardball negotiations that has gotten you nowhere when you truly feel that you have no quarterback and your only option is a guy you didnt franchise, didnt immediately resign, allowed to test the FA market, and then after that still havent signed him? 

All these "The Jets dont feel like Geno is even semi-adequate" hypotheticals falls flat on its face the moment you see how the Jets have approached negotiations with a guy they "truly need"....allegedly. 

This is Ryan Fitzpatrick ladies and gentleman. Lets stop the nonsense. They're looking to resign Fitzpatrick because it will simply provide them with a better QB situation in its entirety. If they dont and they move forward with Geno Smith and he gets hurt this season is over, because they know that the "lack of semi-adequate" starters are actually their current back up QB's. 

No way in the world you want to put Bryce Petty into a game right now. 

22 minutes ago, EM31 said:

I am no capologist but if saving the $12 million would allow us to lock up Wilkerson, I'd roll with Geno this year...

36 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

One has nothing to do with the other. Geno has played well in camp before and it's never materialized. Bowles and Mac know that they don't want Geno as their QB and have said as much over and over again. The only thing stopping this deal is money. This has zero to do with Geno.

The Jets prefer Fitzpatrick, but only at a specific number. 

I'll wait here while you find numerous quotes from Bowles and Maccagnan saying they don't want Geno as their starter. Saying they want Fitz isn't the same thing. I think they're prepared to go with Geno, which is why this negotiation made its way into the press. The Jets understand the PR issues going back to Smith, and they want the fans to know they made a fair offer to Fitzpatrick should he turn it down. 

Just now, slats said:

I'll wait here while you find numerous quotes from Bowles and Maccagnan saying they don't want Geno as their starter. Saying they want Fitz isn't the same thing. I think they're prepared to go with Geno, which is why this negotiation made its way into the press. The Jets understand the PR issues going back to Smith, and they want the fans to know they made a fair offer to Fitzpatrick should he turn it down. 

You and I both know they aren't going to out and out say they don't want Geno. Actions speak louder than words.

5 minutes ago, slats said:

He'll probably ask you if the drugs you use are street or prescription. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

And this is the answer. The way Maccagnan has handled Fitzpatrick suggests he doesn't think that much of Fitzpatrick. Well why offer him anything then? Because if he loses with Geno his job is in serious jeopardy unless Hackenberg (or Petty, I suppose) shows something promising very shortly thereafter, and possibly this season. If Hackenberg doesn't start a game until next year and has a rough first season, after going with Geno for the full prior season, he's gone.

I give him credit for seeing what happened to Idzik (all his other mishaps would have been forgiven - and perhaps even rationalized - if Geno panned out). If he plans for 2-3 seasons from now he'd better have an 8 year guaranteed contract or be a lifelong Jets fan, because otherwise he won't be the GM who gets to reap the benefit of prior investments.

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

I hope you like your crow. It will be bountiful.

Wont be the first time I tasted it. Put some mayo on two slices of bread and some Ketchup....does the trick. 

You however, need to understand that crow is only eaten afterwards. And so far the actions taken are in my favor...not yours. 

According to PFT today via Manish the Jets won't agree to a 1-12 contract. Not sure about what Gary Myers said in terms of the cap hit: giving him a Revis-Patriots kind of a contract and cut him in year 2. That seems to be the latest although the source as we all know is unreliable.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

And this is the answer. The way Maccagnan has handled Fitzpatrick suggests he doesn't think that much of Fitzpatrick. Well why offer him anything then? Because if he loses with Geno his job is in serious jeopardy unless Hackenberg (or Petty, I suppose) shows something promising very shortly thereafter, and possibly this season. If Hackenberg doesn't start a game until next year and has a rough first season, after going with Geno for the full prior season, he's gone.

I give him credit for seeing what happened to Idzik (all his other mishaps would have been forgiven - and perhaps even rationalized - if Geno panned out). If he plans for 2-3 seasons from now he'd better have an 8 year guaranteed contract or be a lifelong Jets fan, because otherwise he won't be the GM who gets to reap the benefit of prior investments.

Mac and Bowles job is in zero danger this year. I still maintain that it is really only Bowles that wants Fitz back and Mac is trying to do that under specific criteria. All these leaks point to the Jets not budging in negotiations and possibly even moving backward. 

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Man, you're on a f'ing role right now. 

People mention QB's that are not even semi-adequate and keep looking at Geno instead of Bryce and Hackenberg. Resigning Fitzpatrick isnt a stupid idea, it strengthens the position greatly. However, not signing Fitz to what he wants...to the point where they were willing to have him sit through Free Agency this entire offseason shows exactly what the Jets think of Fitz and the risk they're willing to take in order to get him at the price "they want". 

Signing Fitz secures the position. If Geno gets injured, either on the field or in the locker room that front office will not want a guy like Bryce Petty, that they prefer hiding on the practice squad, suddenly as the starter of this team. 

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You and I both know they aren't going to out and out say they don't want Geno. Actions speak louder than words.

Yes they do. And so far their actions say they want Fitz back, but they only want him back at their price. It makes no sense for them to do a one year deal, both financially and strategically. His value to the team is to be a mentor to the young QBs for the next couple of years. Fitz can teach Hack and Petty how to be professionals. How to prepare for games.

Geno can only show them how to be a cafone. 

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

If Hackenberg doesn't start a game until next year and has a rough first season, after going with Geno for the full prior season, he's gone.

I honestly don't agree with this.  This is the closest we've had to a professionally run front office since the Parcells era.  I don't think Woody, or the fans for that matter, are going to throw Macc under the bus that quickly.  You are spot on he needs to find a QB and he reached a fair amount for Hackenberg but if he continues to rebuild the roster and create a nucleus of talent and a winning culture, I think most will be patient...

The reporting on this sh*t is just ridiculous.  He wont take a 3 year deal but he'll sign a 1 year deal?  That makes zero sense.

And I really really hope that this is true so that we do this all over again next season.  It's so much fun!!!

If Mac does this and won't compromise on his offer and Fitz leaves he's obviously confident in his job. I mean Idzik too was making decisions based on the future. Woody seems to be behind this. If Fitz departs and the team crashes in 2016 there will be a lot of unhappy campers in Jetsland including the players and most of the fans. If Geno is lights out then you can all say I told you so. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Mac and Bowles job is in zero danger this year. I still maintain that it is really only Bowles that wants Fitz back and Mac is trying to do that under specific criteria. All these leaks point to the Jets not budging in negotiations and possibly even moving backward. 

Fitzpatrick is the safe play, especially if they suspect the team might regress from their 10-6 record last year no matter who's under center. If they win 7 or 8 games with Fitz, it'll be the tough schedule, etc. Same record with Geno, and the pitchforks and torches come out. 

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

The reporting on this sh*t is just ridiculous.  He wont take a 3 year deal but he'll sign a 1 year deal?  That makes zero sense.

And I really really hope that this is true so that we do this all over again next season.  It's so much fun!!!

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Not ridiculous.  This is what happens when you have a GM who actually knows how to negotiate 

Archived