Was it a bad idea to not pick up Milliner's Option?

hokiejetfan92

First off, let me preface this with there is no way that Milliner has done anything at all to deserve it... However, if the fifth year options are guaranteed for injury only then isn't it kind of a no risk situation anyway? If Milliner has another injury prone/disappointing year they can cut him and if he does get hurt then I think the money he gets does not count against the cap (Could be wrong here).

But since it is a big year for him, he has sooo many reasons to come into camp in great shape and potentially have a great year. I feel like he has had moments when he played where he showed potential and reports are so far he is looking good. If this happens, the Jets may have to pay close to market value for him or franchise him if they want to keep him... Most likely we will lose him either way.

I guess my point is does it not seem like you should almost always use the fifth year option unless you know for a fact that the player has no future on this team? Which I guess maybe the case with Milliner.

47 minutes ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

First off, let me preface this with there is no way that Milliner has done anything at all to deserve it... However, if the fifth year options are guaranteed for injury only then isn't it kind of a no risk situation anyway? If Milliner has another injury prone/disappointing year they can cut him and if he does get hurt then I think the money he gets does not count against the cap (Could be wrong here).

But since it is a big year for him, he has sooo many reasons to come into camp in great shape and potentially have a great year. I feel like he has had moments when he played where he showed potential and reports are so far he is looking good. If this happens, the Jets may have to pay close to market value for him or franchise him if they want to keep him... Most likely we will lose him either way.

I guess my point is does it not seem like you should almost always use the fifth year option unless you know for a fact that the player has no future on this team? Which I guess maybe the case with Milliner.

If they pick up the option and he gets hurt, then his money is guaranteed next season and does count against the cap. And if I was a betting man, the likelihood of that happening is very high. Also, if you exercise that option it's likely for excess of 10 million dollars. He's not even worth half of that. Especially when you consider Revis makes over 15 next year and Skrine makes nearly 8. That'd be 33 million tied up in cornerback. Just not worth it to pay a 4th or 5th string option that much money.

And that doesn't even start to talk about if he's even talented enough to warrant it. His play to this point certainly hasn't been and this staff ran out two undrafted free agents ahead of him when Cro and Revis were dealing with injuries. That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. 

Milliner hasn't gotten his tail on the field since DECEMBER 2013!!!  He didn't deserve to have any option

picked up, he needs to show he's serious about the game and can stay on the field.  On top of that

his option would've been around 10+ million dollars, which he doesn't deserve

14 minutes ago, KRL said:

Milliner hasn't gotten his tail on the field since DECEMBER 2013!!!  He didn't deserve to have any option

picked up, he needs to show he's serious about the game and can stay on the field.  On top of that

his option would've been around 10+ million dollars, which he doesn't deserve

I don't even see him making it all the way thru training camp. Def not past game 2 at the most. He can't even be in any kind of sporting shape, let's be real about this. 

1 hour ago, hokiejetfan92 said:

It does count against the cap. What you're thinking of is that Woody would probably not have to pay it because he'd have insurance. I don't think anyone should count on Miliner to play again after this year.

Mac made the mistake of using the 8 week IR on him last year instead of Amaro. I hope he wouldn't make the mistake of thinking he'll be healthy again. Besides that we could get him to sign a multi year deal for less than his option if we did want to take a chance on him. If we offered him a 3 year 9 mil contract right now he'd probably jump at it...not that I would do that.

12 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Even if he lights it up this year, I still wouldn't sign him long term. Let him be somebody else's problem. Glass Man indeed. 

You know if he even plays in a record breaking 16 games he's want 16M per guaranteed.... Yeah, not interested. 

It was a good decision not to pick up the 5th year option for Dee, he is overpaid this year and may have been cut last year if not for the guaranteed money, amazing how the rookie scale is inching it's was back up there again

I hope he does have a good year but would not want to be the team who paid him a big contract, would be fine with a comp pick

How do you pick up an $11M guarantee for a player that hasn't been on the field in virtually 2.5 years?  Once a gain you do not give away jobs, you earn them.  If Milliner shows he has the ability to stay on the field this season and plays well, than you can consider giving him a reasonable contract for 2017.

Tired of hearing about all the greatness he showed at the end of 2013 - it was average play against bad football teams.

He still bites on a pro play fake like a H.S. player and sucks in general. 

Another abominated pick that can only be made worse by throwing any additional penny's at him.

That's before you even consider the brittleness factor.

NO. What planet are you from with this nonsense? Players make a name for themselves ON THE FIELD. Dee Milliner has done NOTHING on the field. Therefore, you have nothing to provide as evidence to say, yeah, I think we should hold on to this guy. He's a f*cking china doll for crying out loud. The day he gets cut is a GREAT for the NYJ. At least after he gets cut the Jets can reassign his roster spot to someone that is actually contributing.

3 hours ago, Larz said:

it would be so jetsie for him to have a great year and leave, but the odds are he will just get hurt

No, it would be Jetsie for him to have a somewhat average year, being totally overrated for the simple fact he played a full season for the first time ever (which would be a miracle in itself and highly unlikely) and then ending up in some ridiculous contract standoff to pay him like he's Revis. THAT is Jetsie. 

Archived