Why The New York Jets Don’t Need To Sign Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jetscode1

In Todd Bowles; first season as head coach last season, the New York Jets nearly found their way into the playoffs for the first time since 2010 when they made the AFC Championship game. Heading into 2016, however, the Jets are in a questionable situation at the quarterback position. Last year the Jets started Ryan Fitzpatrick, who despite being 33 years old, had his best year as a pro throwing for almost 4,000 yards and a career high 31 touchdowns. The New York Jets finally had a quarterback they could rely on — at least for one season.
Fitzpatrick is currently a free agent and a deal between the two parties seems less and less likely with each passing day. The Jets have reportedly offered him a contract of $24 million over three years, but Fitzpatrick seems to be looking to make closer to the ballpark of $15 million a year. The idea of the Jets passing up on the best quarterback they’ve had in years seems insane, but when it comes to the financial aspect of the game, it might be the right move. 
Fitzpatrick isn’t necessarily asking for a ridiculous amount of money. $15 million a year is pretty fair for a player that had a season like he did last year. To compare, Brock Osweiler signed a contract with the Texans that will pay him $18 million annually, and a player like Sam Bradford is still making more than what Fitzpatrick is asking for. With that being said, those guys are still young. 
Age is the ultimate career killer in pro football. Quarterbacks tend to have longer lifespans in the league than players at many of the other positions, but it still harder for older players to keep up with the pace of the game. Could 2015 have been Fitzpatrick’s peak? Will his play go downhill from here? It’s hard to say, but the Jets aren’t willing to take such a big risk, and that’s understandable.
Additionally, Fitzpatrick’s season last year may not have been as magical as people make it out to be. Fitzpatrick had the second worst accuracy of any quarterback in the league last year, above only rookie Jameis Winston. 
Cian Fahey of Football Outsiders did a study on Fitzpatrick’s season, looking past the basic stats, and using a more reliable system to better understand the Jets’ ideology. His study showed that much of Fitzpatrick’s success came from his receivers making big plays, and not necessarily him making good throws. Additionally, while Fitzpatrick only threw 15 interceptions, he had the second most “interceptable” passes, totaling 30. 
There is no doubt that Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall has raved about Fitzpatrick’s leadership and play throughout the offseason, becoming one of the biggest proponents for his re-signing. Their combination was a huge reason the Jets almost made the playoffs, and who knows what another year together could bring. 
But again, football is a business, and the Jets have to look at it from every aspect. It’s unlikely that Ryan Fitzpatrick could produce a Super Bowl-winning season, and the Jets are seemingly more apt to go with younger players and help them grow than pay a lot of money to Fitzpatrick to maybe make the playoffs. 
The Jets also have a few young quarterbacks to work with. Geno Smith has been a disappointment for the last few years, starting with the Jets in 2013 and 2014, and throwing 25 touchdowns and 35 interceptions in that span. There is a chance that he could improve his game, but he’s still not really a reliable starter in the long term. 
In the 2nd Round of the NFL Draft this year, the Jets drafted Christian Hackenberg out of Penn State. A lot of critics thought the pick was a bit of a reach due to his lack of pocket presence and inaccuracy displayed throughout his college career, and fans weren’t necessarily overjoyed with the selection. Nevertheless, it’s clear that the Jets have faith in him, and the selection may have been an indication of them moving on from Fitzpatrick in favor of bringing in younger blood. 
Finally, Bryce Petty is a name that a lot of people have already forgotten. Petty was selected in the 4th Round of the NFL Draft last year. Petty had a great career at Baylor, and a lot of people praised the Jets for the selection when they made it, even citing that Petty had a chance to see playing time last season, but that didn’t happen.
Nevertheless, the quarterback competition brewing in New York could be very entertaining. The most likely starter would be Geno Smith, who has years of experience under his belt, and supposedly the faith of New York management. It would not be surprising at all if Hackenberg or Petty see playing time once Smith starts consistently making poor decisions, but only time will tell. 
All in all, Ryan Fitzpatrick is a good quarterback, but the Jets have chosen to look toward the future and rely on their young players to step up and carry the load in 2016 and beyond.

Another good read.  This guy gets it.

He gets it except for the the 'supposidly has the faith of the new york management ' bit.  For the 1st time in years the jets had good wb play last year most of the year and overachieved to the tune of a 10 win season.  If they want to move on from fitz fine and dandy but they then have a totally unpoven guy in petty who is still looking so so.  A totally screwed up over drafted 2nd round development qb and that leaves probably the worst starter in the whole league in geno.  Geno starts?  6 wins tops.

I can't say that I agree with this premise . I would have no problem with Fitzpatrick coming back, just not at his desired price tag and not with a guaranteed starting gig .  Fitzpatrick had the right to be named the starting QB if he was on the team heading into the 2016 OTAs .That honor should no longer exist but should now be earned in fair competition in training camp and pre season if he is signed . 

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I can't say that I agree with this premise . I would have no problem with Fitzpatrick coming back, just not at his desired price tag and not with a guaranteed starting gig .  Fitzpatrick had the right to be named the starting QB if he was on the team heading into the 2016 OTAs .That honor should no longer exist but should now be earned in fair competition in training camp and pre season if he is signed . 

Here's an idea.  If Fitz is so confident in himself, accept a one year deal that pays a guaranteed 5mil.  And if he earns the starting gig in camp, it'll pay an additional 7mil.

Win-win for all involved.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Here's an idea.  If Fitz is so confident in himself, accept a one year deal that pays a guaranteed 5mil.  And if he earns the starting gig in camp, it'll pay an additional 7mil.

No agent who ever wants another client will bring that contract to his client .  If Fitz fired his agent and took that offer, he's in the concussion protocol without a doubt.

Just now, Tinstar said:

No agent who ever wants another client will bring that contract to his client .  If Fitz fired his agent and took that offer, he's in the concussion protocol without a doubt.

Ha, perhaps a bit of wishful thinking on my part.

I still like the idea from a month ago, a deal with salary escalators and de-escalators

he gets paid more or less in line with how/if he plays

he $12 million in the first year and same overall guarantees of the existing three-year offer should be acceptable to both sides. The 2017 and 2018 salaries could be increased from $6 million each to $9 million for a base value of $30 million over three years. $4 million of the $9 million could be in roster bonuses due on the third day of the league year (mid-March 2017 and 2018) to force the Jets to make a quick decision on whether Fitzpatrick would remain a part of the team.

The deal maximum could be $45 million over the three years where $3 million is available in NLTBE incentives and an additional $3 million in salary escalators annually. The first $2 million of the incentives could be based on Fitzpatrick's individual performance with the remaining $1 million contingent on the Fitzpatrick reaching a specified playtime threshold during regular season, like 75 percent, and the Jets' playoff performance. Any incentives earned would be added to the following year's base salary.

A $3 million salary de-escalator could be included in 2017 and 2018 to bring the salaries in those years back to the $6 million level in the current offer if Fitzpatrick didn't play at least 50 percent of the Jets' offensive plays or performed poorly -- such as ranking 25th or lower in passing yards, passer rating and touchdown passes simultaneously -- in the prior season.

A salary de-escalator isn't a foreign concept to Fitzpatrick. His 2011 contract extension with the Buffalo Bills had de-escalators in the 2016 and 2017 contract years based on his playtime in the previous contract years. The inclusion of a mechanism allowing Fitzpatrick to void the remainder of the contract after a Pro Bowl selection on the original ballot also seems appropriate, considering his compensation is at the low end for starting quarterbacks on veteran contracts.

27 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

I just wish the Jets would make a decision so we can all get on the same page instead of being anti-Fitz and anti-Geno.

why do we have to be anti- anything ? Why can't we just be pro-Jet ?

2 hours ago, Mike135 said:

How about 1yr@9m+1m incentive for EACH playoff APPEARANCE.  

5 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

Well that's better than 12mil.  But I don't like it because @9mil, you're basically handing Fitz the starting gig.  And I obviously think Geno is the better QB.

To be clear.  If I'm a captain of a pickup Thanksgiving Day football game and Fitz n Geno are the QB options...  I'm choosing Geno.  That's w/o money being a factor.  Especially if happens to be windy that Thanksgiving.

7 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I like it.  Let's round this off, though.  $10M plus 1M each playoff appearance.  Being a realist, Jets would be a Wild Card.  So that would be $13M with wins, and then $2M for the Super Bowl.  $15M total.  What do you think?

Well everything that has happened would say otherwise but so be it I will let it ride

The most likely starter would be Geno Smith, who has years of experience under his belt, and supposedly the faith of New York management. 

41 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Don't know ask the Geno bashers.

The Fitz bashers are just as bad .  I want what's best for my Jets, and that could be Geno Smith if he develops. I know there's no future with Fitzpatrick  at his age, but I am willing to admit that he could be a decent present at a decent price. Why do we have to hate on one player to like the other ?

Personally I'm burned out with the Fitz holdout. He's not that good however smart and well respected among the players. Chemistry is an important part of winning in the NFL and Fitz had it. Geno is younger physically stronger but the big question is can he lead the team. Jets have a tough schedule this year especially the first 6 games. I'm comfortable with Bowles, Mac and Chan. They know better than we do if Geno can get it done. I think they would have raised a red flag by now and either signed Fitz or got Hoyer/ Foles or some other QB if they had reservations about Geno. So here we go into another season with a QB drama. Don't understand why they haven't got a franchise QB since 1969. And that's how long I've been a Jets fan.

Now this is why the Jets have to move on immediately from Fitz.  Before I suppose it didn't matter much if you don't think being at OTAs is important  (though I do).  But now the already thin list of available vets is gonna get thinner.

Screw Fitz.  Get some other vet in here.  We've already lost the chance to have the new guy learn during OTAs.  We need him to have all of camp to get up to speed.

4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

I just wish the Jets would make a decision so we can all get on the same page instead of being anti-Fitz and anti-Geno.

Im ok with either Fitz back behind center, or seeing what Geno can do.

Personally, I think Geno can progress this season out there, will it be enough is the question.

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

He gets it except for the the 'supposidly has the faith of the new york management ' bit.  For the 1st time in years the jets had good wb play last year most of the year and overachieved to the tune of a 10 win season.  If they want to move on from fitz fine and dandy but they then have a totally unpoven guy in petty who is still looking so so.  A totally screwed up over drafted 2nd round development qb and that leaves probably the worst starter in the whole league in geno.  Geno starts?  6 wins tops.

We might win 6 tops period, our schedule is brutal. I see no reason Geno will not be at least equal to what Fitz would provide.

2012 BUF 16 83.3 306 505 60.6 3400 212.5 6.7 24 16 8 6
2013 TEN 11 82.0 217 350 62.0 2454 223.1 7.0 14 12 9 2
2014 HOU 12 95.3 197 312 63.1 2483 206.9 8.0 17 8 5 1
2015 NYJ 16 88.0 335 562 59.6 3905 244.1 6.9 31 15 5 2

How was our play at QB 2012-2014?

12 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Quick question. How has Geno performed when he's had two capable NFL starters and atleast a wk of practice with them (post benching 2014)? Was he truly the worst in that time frame? 

Archived