Training camp thread 08/04/16

Maxman

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

100%

Good reason he went in the third round. I'd be shocked if he can actually succeed in coverage. He's fast and awkward to block, which is pretty much a great compliment to our DL's pass rush.

Mauldin isn't fast.  He's got a good motor and decent moves.  But he's not a good athlete.  He's actually pretty heavy footed.

22 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

100%

Good reason he went in the third round. I'd be shocked if he can actually succeed in coverage. He's fast and awkward to block, which is pretty much a great compliment to our DL's pass rush.

i guess as jet fans we can never enjoy what little success we have without waiting for the bottom to drop out and our successes turn into failures. ahh, the life of a jet fan

4 minutes ago, jetfan39 said:

i guess as jet fans we can never enjoy what little success we have without waiting for the bottom to drop out and our successes turn into failures. ahh, the life of a jet fan

Jets fans can accept reality from time to time believe it or not. I'd rather get overly optimistic about a quarterback

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Mauldin's a below-average athlete who racked up a whopping 4 sacks as a DPR. He certainly looks like he'll be a useful player, but anyone expecting him to turn into Justin Houston just because he's playing double the snaps this year is probably going to be disappointed.

Is it okay if we settle for someone more like Jerome Harrison?

2 hours ago, dbatesman said:

I get that, and I'm not trying to run him down. I'm just saying you can't divide sacks/snap and assume that number will extrapolate out when the denominator doubles.

You also can't look solely at sack totals to determine how well the guy plays the position. He's going to be asked to do more than just use the 1 pass rush move and motor he had as a rookie this year. I want to hope "most" fans are looking for him to become a complete OLB, not just some dude that gets you 15 sacks, but is a liability in every other aspect of his play when on the field. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, or James Harrison. 

James Harrison has 76.5 career sacks and a Defensive Player of the Year award and has made 4 All-Pro teams. If Mauldin has anything close to that career, I wouldn't say we'd be "settling" for it.

Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson provides update on injured leg

Jets' Muhammad Wilkerson provides update on injured leg

By Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

FLORHAM PARK — With cornerback Darrelle Revis having returned to practice Thursday, the Jets' defense is now only one piece away from being complete.

Granted, it is a very, very big piece. Both figuratively, and literally. 

Muhammad Wilkerson, New York's 6-4, 315-pound defensive end, is still on the physically unable to perform list as he recovers from a broken leg. According to the big man, he's getting closer and closer to a return. 

"I'm feeling pretty good," Wilkerson said. "The leg is getting better each and every day. I'll be ready for Week 1."

Throughout this offseason, Wilkerson has shared on social media the different milestones he's reached during his recovery. The first time he rode a bike againwalked in a boot, ran on an anti-gravity treadmill, ran on a normal treadmill and ran bootless. They've all been posted on Instagram.

The only thing left for Wilkerson to do is strap on the pads. Physically, he says, he's right where he needs to be. 

"The only thing I can't do is the limits you have on the PUP," Wilkerson said. "I can't hit shields and things like that."

The excitement for Wilkerson right now is about simply returning to the field. He's been a bystander during the Jets seven practices so far. Watching each defensive line drill, he's starting to realize the potential the collective unit has. 

And once he adds himself to a group that already includes Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Jarvis Jenkins? It could be deadly. 

"We can be great as long as we keep pushing each other," Wilkerson said. "These first couple days of camp I'm liking what I'm seeing. I can't wait to get out there with my brothers."

Connor Hughes may be reached at chughes@njadvancemedia.com.

38 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

James Harrison has 76.5 career sacks and a Defensive Player of the Year award and has made 4 All-Pro teams. If Mauldin has anything close to that career, I wouldn't say we'd be "settling" for it.

but, but.... James Harrison lacked ideal measurables, was unathletic and undrafted.... obviously, i'm being facetious but the high motor and right attitude can go a lot further in this league than some people recognize at times

last year could be Mauldin's best season in his career, or just the beginning... 

5 hours ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

Where is Lorenzo Mauldin?...this was supposed to be his break out year and I have not heard a single thing about him so far in camp?

Old news. He is soooo 2015. Lee and Jenkins are the new hotness. Get with the times.

3 hours ago, Dcat said:

you know that Don La Greca was one of those Sportsphone guys who would give the scores.

I did not.  In retrospect, I think I'm hearing the Movie Phone voice in my head because that was the same guy for years.  I know a few guys did Sportsphone and it makes sense some of them would end up on radio afterwards.  Howie Rose of the Mets is another.

I still remember this though.  976-1313.

Archived