Why Geno Smith Never Asked Jets to Trade Him

NYPaperAirplanes

Kid is saying all the right things.  Has clearly matured on and off the field.  Shame we never got to see him play on a legitimate NFL team when he was actually ready to play.

I wouldnt be surprised if he lands somewhere and gets another shot.  Hell, there's a chance the Jets see him in action.  Fitz is old and gets nicked up quite a bit.  

He wont be resigned here though, so he's going to have to hope to get a chance on QB needy team or he's just going to be signed as a back up somewhere else. 

Just now, JiF said:

Kid is saying all the right things.  Has clearly matured on and off the field.  Shame we never got to see him play on a legitimate NFL team when he was actually ready to play.

I wouldnt be surprised if he lands somewhere and gets another shot.  Hell, there's a chance the Jets see him in action.  Fitz is old and gets nicked up quite a bit.  

He wont be resigned here though, so he's going to have to hope to get a chance on QB needy team or he's just going to be signed as a back up somewhere else. 

Indeed. He needs to go somewhere else. I mean, just look at what the fans and media is saying about him.

for months the story of this team was, when will Fitz return.  yet i can't help but get the uneasy feeling that he will get hurt and geno will come in and play at least decent.  and while i will certainly not root against a young jets qb playing well, he's less likable than petty or hack.  

Why Geno Smith never asked Jets to trade him, won't rule out return in 2017

Geno Smith, Todd Bowles
New York Jets quarterback Geno Smith (7) talks with head coach Todd Bowles at their NFL football training camp in Florham Park, N.J., Friday, July 31, 2015. (AP Photo/Adam Hunger)
Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Connor Hughes | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on August 10, 2016 at 7:00 AM, updated August 10, 2016 at 7:07 AM

FLORHAM PARK — It would have been the easy way out. The quickest way to put the last 12 months behind him.

Just one phone call and Geno Smith could be an ex-Jet. The locker room fight with IK Enemkpali, losing his starting job, the turnovers, the hate tweets, the reputation as a bust— All of it, behind him. One trade to any of the 31 other NFL teams and Smith could turn over a new leaf, presuming the Jets were willing to trade him, and part ways with a game-tested backup quarterback.  

But Smith requesting an early exit from New York has never been an option. He never even once considered it.

Why?

"Because I'm not afraid of anything," Smith told NJ Advance Media on Tuesday. "I know I can be out there and win games. I know I can be great. But right now, it's time for me to practice patience."

Last year was the first time Smith was a backup. He started all four years in high school and college, then 29 of 32 games during his first two NFL seasons. He began the 2015 offseason as the Jets' starter, but after Enemkpali's jaw-breaking punch, he dropped to No. 2 on the depth chart. He currently remains there behind Ryan Fitzpatrick. 

Smith has been playing the waiting game since he lost his starting job, hoping for a shot to show what he can do. See, what frustrates Smith the most isn't that he lost his starting position, nor the incident itself. It's the timing: Smith was demoted (and physically unable to play) right as he felt everything had clicked.

"I had just gotten to the level where I knew I could play consistent football," Smith said. "To not be able to go out there and show it? It's hard. You just need to keep believing that eventually, it's going to happen for you." 

The tape of Smith's first two NFL seasons looks more like 'Football Follies' than a highlight reel. All told, he has committed 42 turnovers in 31 career games, struggling to adapt to the NFL level. Coming from West Virginia, Smith needed to learn how to play quarterback, not just throw the football. 

Bart Scott says Geno can be Jets' 'hero

Bart Scott says Geno can be Jets' 'hero

Scott hasn't lost faith in Geno Smith

1 minute ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

Didn't know being curious of what he could do with this team is wrong.

Please don't come back to this thread. You came here to start sh!t and then you'll act like you were a victim of the mindless Geno fans.

lol, I'm sure the act of starting ANOTHER Geno thread had zero designs on activating the argument that has plagued this site for months. I'm sure your intentions were the purest of pure. 

My comment is, simply put, a fancy way of saying "everyone loves the backup QB" or "the grass is always greener".

The premise of this article is stupid. In order to demand a trade, you've got to have some juice. Jets are doing Geno a favor keeping him on the roster, and shielding him in a lot of ways while they continue to work with him. He's got no grounds for demanding a trade. The notion is foolish.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

lol, I'm sure the act of starting ANOTHER Geno thread had zero designs on activating the argument that has plagued this site for months. I'm sure your intentions were the purest of pure. 

My comment is, simply put, a fancy way of saying "everyone loves the backup QB" or "the grass is always greener".

The premise of this article is stupid. In order to demand a trade, you've got to have some juice. Jets are doing Geno a favor keeping him on the roster, and shielding him in a lot of ways while they continue to work with him. He's got no grounds for demanding a trade. The notion is foolish.

Dude, just go. You basically insulted anybody who wonders what Geno could do with this team.

Seriously, leave and take your arguments to some other thread.

Because:

1. Nobody would trade for him. (and the Jets are getting rid of a great, cheap backup)

2. With Fitz's injury history, he has a decent chance to start again

3. He already has a little bit of a 'Diva' reputation, so, why doesn't he whine to get out of dodge - that will work

4. If he plays nice this year and gets better, he can pick where he goes next year instead of going where ever the Jets can get a cup of soup for him

2 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

Dude, just go. You basically insulted anybody who wonders what Geno could do with this team.

I didn't insult anyone.

My posts are about the topic dude... would you like to discuss it, or not? The topic isn't "I want to see what Geno could do with this team", it is "Geno didn't demand a trade because..." So, you're getting responses to the topic. Maybe don't start threads if you don't actually know how to handle the divergent opinions that every new thread fosters.

Mods don't ban people for using age-old sayings. Good grief.

11 minutes ago, NYPaperAirplanes said:

lol. You don't know who you're arguing with.

May God have mercy on your soul.

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

lol. You don't know who you're arguing with.

May God have mercy on your soul.

It's not even an argument. He doesn't seem to know what his own thread is about... so it's my fault for posting about the article, I guess.

9 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I didn't insult anyone.

My posts are about the topic dude... would you like to discuss it, or not? The topic isn't "I want to see what Geno could do with this team", it is "Geno didn't demand a trade because..." So, you're getting responses to the topic. Maybe don't start threads if you don't actually know how to handle the divergent opinions that every new thread fosters.

Mods don't ban people for using age-old sayings. Good grief.

Your first comment came off as "Here we go again with these people". But if you can't see it, oh well fam.

3 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It's not even an argument. He doesn't seem to know what his own thread is about... so it's my fault for posting about the article, I guess.

Well...

...to be fair.

Your initial comment was a bit more snark than substance--not that I'm disagreeing with you--but I didn't really read the article, so perhaps there's something that I missed.

20 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Because:

1. Nobody would trade for him. (and the Jets are getting rid of a great, cheap backup)

2. With Fitz's injury history, he has a decent chance to start again

3. He already has a little bit of a 'Diva' reputation, so, why doesn't he whine to get out of dodge - that will work

4. If he plays nice this year and gets better, he can pick where he goes next year instead of going where ever the Jets can get a cup of soup for him

Basically. His best chance for a solid future is getting into the lineup here, and playing with the receivers who essentially set the team's receiving TD record last year. He's in a QB friendly system with a nice group of bid receivers. He wants in. 

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Basically. His best chance for a solid future is getting into the lineup here, and playing with the receivers who essentially set the team's receiving TD record last year. He's in a QB friendly system with a nice group of bid receivers. He wants in. 

he didn't ask to be traded b/c there's no clear guy who is the starter in 2017.  not many teams have that situation.  

Good article. Hopefully he sticks it out and shows the coaching staff that he belongs here as a starter. Jumping to another team wont guarantee you anything, especially with personnel. 

The Jets situation for what its worth is the most QB-friendly situation I think I've seen the past 20 years. The setback is unfortunate for him, but to be able to develop will help him long term be it with the Jets or elsewhere. 

There's no real reason to seek a trade at this point. Ryan Fitzpatrick isnt a franchise QB and it is possible that if something happens and Geno is called on to start that he could take the job just like Fitz did last season. Also, being able to learn for another year under Chan could really help out going into free agency next season in terms of development. No need for him to push himself into a situation that may "turn a new leaf" but not really provide him with the assistance needed to turn his career into a lengthy one. I hope he learns not to really care about the outside criticism though, and understand that becoming a solid QB will basically take care of everything else. 

There are a bunch of people who dont like Russell Wilson, saying that he comes off as "fake". He even had a situation in the locker room one time. At the end of the day though, Russell Wilson is protected by his organization because he's a top 5 QB in the league. In otherwords, as long as he maximizes his talent by working on his skill and it will take him far beyond today's criticism. If not, he'll be another JAG. 

The Jets basically should get an extra draft pick-Geno or Fitz will likely be signing somewhere else for 2017, for likely substantial money.   That should result in a decent draft pick.

By keeping Geno this year, a team that is built to compete today has a viable back up QB if Fitz gets hurt.  Don't know whether Petty or Hack can deliver that now.  The odds are that Geno gets some real time playing in 2016 because starting QBs do miss time for injury generally.  This will allow Geno to show the Jets and other teams what he can do.  Maybe that provides the Jets with an opportunity to pick one, although they will not really hold any cards for 2017 unless they franchise one.

I would play Petty as much as possible in preseason-maybe he can get "hurt" so he can go in IR.

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

Well...

...to be fair.

Your initial comment was a bit more snark than substance--not that I'm disagreeing with you--but I didn't really read the article, so perhaps there's something that I missed.

My snark contains more substance than an article about a backup QB who, by all available evidence sucks, and didn't demand a trade.

I don't get that Geno has to go anywhere after this year. He was thrown into the fire early in his career and looked bad. But if he continues to play lights out like the last TC report suggests and he's matured mentally on/off the field I don't see what the problem is. He backs up Fitz this year, and if there are no takers in FA or he chooses to stay here next year, he fights for the starting job with Petty, Hack, whoever. I just don't see how he"s irrevocably done as a Jet when his rookie contract runs out.

I don't get that Geno has to go anywhere after this year. He was thrown into the fire early in his career and looked bad. But if he continues to play lights out like the last TC report suggests and he's matured mentally on/off the field I don't see what the problem is. He backs up Fitz this year, and if there are no takers in FA or he chooses to stay here next year, he fights for the starting job with Petty, Hack, whoever. I just don't see how he"s irrevocably done as a Jet when his rookie contract runs out.

Unless he plays this year, and plays well, some team out there will pay him more than the Jets. And he may just want to have a change of scenery for himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Jets_Win said:

Simple, teams that spend two high draft picks and sign a player to a 12 mil contract at your posterior don't want you. If Geno makes it through the year the jets won't be offering him any contract. 

With that said Geno would also only want to sign with the jets if no other team offered him a contract, which is possible. 

Before anyone says petty not ready to be a back up, remember Bowles and Macc were ok with Petty being the back up last year when Geno was out with his jaw injury.   They could have very easily signed a cheap vet for a few weeks but they didn't.  Petty was the back up. 

He didn't ask for a trade because he already has 2 strikes against him in the prima donna department: (1) attempting to bail on the draft; (2) The Punch Heard Round the League. An acrimonious split from a trade demand will be interpreted as more evidence of Geno's poor attitude, as he has lost the benefit of the doubt. In addition, being traded for a 6th or 7th round pick will further damage his brand value. In total, playing good soldier is a good business decision. At least he is listening to his agents now (rather than blaming them and firing them).

10 hours ago, Jets_Win said:

Only way I see Geno salvaging his career with the Jets is if Fitz goes down and Geno comes in and leads the Jets to the playoffs. Without that opportunity, I don't see any shot of Jets offering him a contract. He'll probably be the starter in Cleveland next year after RG3's knee explodes.

I think Smith has a future somewhere. The NY fan base for the most part has given up on him although reports say he's doing well in practice, which means little. As previously stated unless he gets a shot this year in the regular season, lights it up and gets us into the playoffs he's pretty much done with the Jets. Mac and the Jets have made it clear in the last 2 draft seasons that they are not taking much stock in Geno by drafting QB's in the last to drafts. Action speak louder than words.

Archived