Realistic expectations for next (this) season

MetsJets1962

2 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Clearly emoji38.png

Yeah, know it's prob been done to death but a few things jumping out after the pre season games. Looking for some optimism from you Vets emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, there are two camps:

Camp 1: Ryan Fitzpatrick is a capable steward and with a strong team performance, this is a playoff team.

Camp 2: Ryan Fitzpatrick is horrendous and it's impossible to make the playoffs unless he gets hurt and Geno finally gets a fair shake.

There I have saved you from going back and reading every thread made between Summer 2015 and today. Welcome to JN.

Camp 1: Ryan Fitzpatrick is a capable steward and with a strong team performance, this is a playoff team.

Camp 2: Ryan Fitzpatrick is horrendous and it's impossible to make the playoffs unless he gets hurt and Geno finally gets a fair shake.

There I have saved you from going back and reading every thread made between Summer 2015 and today. Welcome to JN.

Ha, cheers for the synopsis

Petty looking better than smith though (extremely small sample size)

Fitz doesn't look very good so far. I mean, he never really ever did, but he looks worse than usual. Our secondary and O Line and Tight Ends are also suspect. But the wide receiving corp, d line, running game, and linebackers are going to be exciting to watch as is the idea of this new young QB talent. I expect a lot of fun moments, and as usual, a ton of heartbreak. Fitz is going to lay an egg on us again.

1 minute ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Ha, cheers for the synopsis emoji38.png

Petty looking better than smith though (extremely small sample size)

Anyone not yet proven to suck is a better option than Geno imho.

2 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lol ... So which camp are you in -1962 ... So I can decide if I can be your friend ... Or if I need to hate you and punch you in the jaw when I travel "across the pond" ?!?

Just now, ljr said:

Lol ... So which camp are you in -1962 ... So I can decide if I can be your friend ... Or if I need to hate you and punch you in the jaw when I travel "across the pond" ?!?

kinky i'll take the punch

Fitz doesn't look very good so far. I mean, he never really ever did, but he looks worse than usual. Our secondary and O Line and Tight Ends are also suspect. But the wide receiving corp, d line, running game, and linebackers are going to be exciting to watch as is the idea of this new young QB talent. I expect a lot of fun moments, and as usual, a ton of heartbreak. Fitz is going to lay an egg on us again.

Yeah, I'm really excited by a lot of the younger guys.

6 minutes ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I'm not sold on Fitz. I mean he had a big year but can't see him repeat it. He sh*t the bed on us when it mattered most.

No one is sold. But all we can do is make the best choice given our options. And it's clearly him.

1 minute ago, MetsJets1962 said:

I'm not sold on Fitz. I mean he had a big year but can't see him repeat it. He sh*t the bed on us when it mattered most.

Oh-ohhhh!!!!

true ... How did he do the 5 weeks before that when we needed it 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th most?

who do you think we should have at QB week 1 , 2016 that would be an improvement right now?

5 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Sorry for the inconvenience, probably easier to ignore it then eh?

Welcome to the board '62.... I too am an original Mets/Jets fan from their inception.

As you have probably noticed, things can get salty around here when it comes to new threads.

Some friendly advice from a guy who had to learn the social order of the board since I arrived in '14

New Threads have to be specific and "FRESH"....

1) Something you took away from a game regarding a player/coach or general performance of a unit (ex. LB, ST, OL; try and avoid QB for now)

2) Breaking News on a player or team ( Player cut who might be a good pickup for Jets, PED violation of a rival team or Patriots caught cheating AGAIN!)

3) Know your Forums... If it's a colege player or Draft related, go post in the Draft forum, Mets news in Mets forum etc.

4) Don't take any crap hurled at you personally... its like a FRAT house in here, everybody busts balls! Don't let it make you gun shy!

5) A CAPS ONLY POST IS CAUSE FOR A VASECTOMY.... avoid at all costs

6) Pictures and GIF's always make for a good laugh. ex.... "You are an Idiot"!

Image result for you are an idiot

We can debate about Fitz-Geno till the cows come home and, yes, our future success will depend on QB play.

BUT, I believe the only way we become a playoff team is if the defense becomes dominant. I mean top-3-dominant, not top-10-hey-they're-pretty-good-dominant.

Pretty please, with sugar on top, rush the f---ing passer!! 

"It was the best of times; it was the worst of times"

The best: Fitz's arm looks more lively that the 2015 version.  Perhaps it was the broken leg weak lower body thing.  WR depth is much better.

The worst: Fitz missed OTA's signing at the last minute and his accuracy sux, lots of rust to shake off.  Get it done Fitz.  No thumper to use and abuse in the run game.     

Bottem line: this will be a harder 10-6.   

Fitz has a lot to prove after holding out on the Jets until the last moment (or until Foles was released & his agent said, uh oh.). Anyone who follows NFL football that believes there's a huge difference in talent between Fitz & Foles hasn't been paying attention. Both are in that 23-32 range. 

The one thing that I'm positive about is Fitz really wanted to be back with the Jets, is very comfortable working with Chan & does have close friends on this team with guys like Decker & Mangold. He'll do everything in his power to succeed & he'll work hard, he'll hustle, he'll know what the game plan is & he'll know how to line everyone up. Will that be enough? Who knows. Our Oline might be his undoing. Our Oline has got to keep Fitz upright & healthy.

Here's my take & it's really not that complicated. 3 most important things that need to happen this year. 1st, we need to get more from our running backs on a consistent basis & they have to stay healthy. Even though Ivory rushed for 1000 yards, he was terribly inconsistent, looked like he was dinged up since that 1st series in Gillette & never fully recovered. We lost EVERY game that Bilal Powell wasn't available for. The threat at RB with Forte, Powell & eventually Robinson will tell the tale for our offense. Fitz has never been able to just throw to win, we have to have balance to open up the passing game.

Two, we have got to get to the QB! Bowles is gonna have to be somewhat of a gambler & he has shown that side of himself last year. Jets were WAY BETTER turning the ball over on defense last year. Pats do this every year, teams move in between the 20s on them, but they hold them to FGs or turn them over enough to win the game.

Three, special teams need to be better. Instead of losing three games directly from STs mistakes, we need to win 3 games with special teams plays, i.e. Punt returns, kick off returns, FGs, field position, fumble recoveries. With this schedule if we're on the losing end in special teams play it will be the tipping point to a losing season. That arrow has to point up for a chance at the playoffs. 

9 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Those 31 TDs will probably be etched on his headstone, but he still couldn't connect on 60% of his passes and averaged an interception per game against the easiest schedule in the league. But apparently the Jets are sold for one year, $12M. 

Thru two weeks of the preseason, the Jets are last in the league in rushing yardage. Hopefully there's a dramatic turnaround there if/when Forte and Robinson become healthy. Jets are relying on youngsters at LB to improve their old and slow unit from last year. Probably gonna be some bumps along the way. This team needs a solid running game and solid defense to be competitive. Like to see some positive signs against the jints this week. 

Common answer... all depends on the QB.  Good thing here is we'll be able to tell early on whether or not Fitz can raise his game to hang with good/great teams.  

My guess is he can't, but sure hope I'm wrong.

If he can, and we get out of the first 6 games 3-3 or better?...  We're a playoff team.

If Fitz can't play well enough, we get to see Petty or Geno.  The worry here is Bowles does what he did last year and keeps playing Fitz when it's obvious he can't beat good teams.  

Say we start 2-4 or 1-5 and Bowles keeps playing Fitz.  The schedule gets much easier after that and we'll certainly start racking up more wins.  We'll end up middle of the pack, missing the playoffs, average draft pick, no clue about our young QBs, some fans thinking Fitz is a gritty-good QB, Fitz wanting another substantial payday, and no F-in clue what to do at QB next season.  Sound familiar?

So my main concern if we're not .500 after 6 games, or at least 3-4 after 7 games at the absolute minimum... is that we don't waste even more time on Fitz.

I do feel that losing Ivory hurts our running game and takes away that power dimension. Our running attack is different than it was last year now with Forte. Actually Ivory was a good receiver too. On defense the major minus is losing Snacks. But this happens to all teams every year. I think ten wins is a reasonable expectation and hopefully this year it means the playoffs. 

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I do feel that losing Ivory hurts our running game and takes away that power dimension. Our running attack is different than it was last year now with Forte. Actually Ivory was a good receiver too. On defense the major minus is losing Snacks. But this happens to all teams every year. I think ten wins is a reasonable expectation and hopefully this year it means the playoffs. 

Ivory sucks as a receiver, but when it comes to yards after contact in the running game, he's one of the best in the league. 

8 minutes ago, slats said:

Ivory sucks as a receiver, but when it comes to yards after contact in the running game, he's one of the best in the league. 

12 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think we can all realistically expect the jejune brigade to not subject us to daily illiads about Geno Smith, finally. Other than that, everything else is cream cheese. 

I believe Khiry can be that guy.... he's a punishing runner(less than Ivory, but can still give some hurt)

He's a 1 cut runner but also has some wiggle in the next level which could get him extra yards.

I think he will play well for us.

Image result for khiry robinson

He looks tough!

14 minutes ago, slats said:

Not true. Ivory had 30 catches for 217 in 2015 his best receiving year. I don't remember him sucking at all. But as a receiver you can't compare him to Forte who had 44 catches in 2015 but in 2014 an unreal over 100 receptions. They are just different kinds of runners. 

5 hours ago, Shadetree said:

We can debate about Fitz-Geno till the cows come home and, yes, our future success will depend on QB play.

BUT, I believe the only way we become a playoff team is if the defense becomes dominant. I mean top-3-dominant, not top-10-hey-they're-pretty-good-dominant.

Pretty please, with sugar on top, rush the f---ing passer!! 

Pretty much in sync ... Would just qualify this with these thoughts ... So far the preseason & TC Special Teams have made a ballpark bottom 5 to top 5 team transformation ... If that plays out for the whole season ... And injury bug stays away from major guys whole season we can get in the dance on that alone  ... But only way to make noise once we're there is if D becomes top-3 dominant!

11 hours ago, MetsJets1962 said:

Sorry for the inconvenience, probably easier to ignore it then eh?

No reason to say sorry, just ignore that other post.

We are a message board, talking about the Jets is what we do.

My expectations for this year are increasing. I have been concerned about the upside with Fitz but I think they have improved in enough other areas and they can definitely get to the next level. How far can they go in that level (playoffs)? That is up to Fitz, he is going to need a top defense at some point. If he can then the sky is the limit.

Archived