Can Petty win the #2 job tonight?

Augustiniak

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to think that his spot is safe.  If he makes the team that would indicate to me that our CS/FO think there is a future here for him.  As for your question, I think he is playing more for the number 2 spot but I dont think we can call it based on this game.  I do hope he tears it up tonight(well I always hope the Jets tear it up).

Petty needs to go out there and shred them. Make the decision easy for the coaches.

If he can't capitalize on this moment, then part of me wonders if he's got the makeup of a big stage QB in the first place... last thing we need are two QBs on the roster that can't handle the stage. Yes, the other is Geno. Hack is an unknown commodity.

This coaching staff and front office have done such a good job of not leaking anything we have no clue what they really think about Geno or Petty.  Normally you get a good feel for the fate of players over time but I personally have zero clue as to whether they are happy with geno and he is a solid #2, whether they are looking to trade him, if they are thinking of cutting him, how much do they like petty, do they think of him as a prospect or suspect?

Am I missing something? Has it always been scripted that the starting QB & THE BACKUP both sit in the 4th & final preseason game? You'd think you'd want to give your #2 at least a quarter of work?

Judging by what I saw from Geno so far he could use a bit more practice. This is how look at this, Fitz has to play really well for us to make the playoffs. The TEAM I think would play harder for a likable guy like Petty. So in my mind that moves them to equals. With Geno being an URFA next year, lets face it, he's outta here & if he had to play he might win one more MEANINGLESS game than Bryce. Genos been like cloud over this team, just too much negativity surrounds this sulking dolt. Trade him or cut him & let the sun shine in.

Geno made 2 bad throws against the Redskins (one of them an interception), other than that he hasn't played poorly this pre-season. Without the benefit of the coach's film it's impossible to say whether some of his check-down throws should've been downfield throws. Geno's the #2 moving forward regardless of what Bryce does tonight. 

3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Am I missing something? Has it always been scripted that the starting QB & THE BACKUP both sit in the 4th & final preseason game? You'd think you'd want to give your #2 at least a quarter of work?

Judging by what I saw from Geno so far he could use a bit more practice. This is how look at this, Fitz has to play really well for us to make the playoffs. The TEAM I think would play harder for a likable guy like Petty. So in my mind that moves them to equals. With Geno being an URFA next year, lets face it, he's outta here & if he had to play he might win one more MEANINGLESS game than Bryce. Genos been like cloud over this team, just too much negativity surrounds this sulking dolt. Trade him or cut him & let the sun shine in.

If Geno resigns, the odd man out next year is Fitzpatrick. 

6 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

I'd bet this won't happen.  Fitz could be gone if he has a disaster season but outside of a very radical occurrence this year Geno will not be back.  (As in fitz gets hurt and geno miraculously take us to the playoffs)

6 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

There ain't NO WAY on gods green earth that Geno Smith would resign with the NY Jets next year! Why would anyone that has the chance to go somewhere else actually CHOOSE to stay in a City that he knows 90% of the fan base DESPISES HIM. Geno Smith is counting the days, just like Jet fans are counting his.

Just now, Beerfish said:

I'd bet this won't happen.  Fitz could be gone if he has a disaster season but outside of a very radical occurrence this year Geno will not be back.  (As in fitz gets hurt and geno miraculously take us to the playoffs)

After 2016 it's time for them to "promote" QB's. The Jets are still looking for their long-term answer at QB. So Geno's next up. This "regime" has to find out exactly what they have, within THIS system before parting with Smith. If Smith fails, the Jets draft another QB, and Petty and Hack get "promoted". That's what's happening here.

3 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

After 2016 it's time for them to "promote" QB's. The Jets are still looking for their long-term answer at QB. So Geno's next up. This "regime" has to find out exactly what they have, within THIS system before parting with Smith. If Smith fails, the Jets draft another QB, and Petty and Hack get "promoted". That's what's happening here.

I just don't see any scenario that has Geno in a NY Jet uniform next year. Of course now Fitz will get hurt & Geno comes in & gets us to a Super Bowl. 

Just now, Jetster said:

I just don't see any scenario that has Geno in a NY Jet uniform next year. Of course now Fitz will get hurt & Geno comes in & gets us to a Super Bowl. 

I understand where your coming from...and I don't fault you. My gut says that Todd and Mac are bringing Smith along as if they drafted him ahead of Petty. They're giving him 2 years to develop and then resign him on a one year deal as the 2017 starter. Smith is going to come cheap in 2017. If he fails, he goes. They draft another QB, and then hand the reigns to Petty who at that time will have had 3 years to develop. If Petty fails in 2018 the cycle continues.

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

He can't really win it based on tonight's performance, but he certainly can lose it.  A poor performance against future FedEx drivers would not be a good look. 

he can definitely lose it.  but maybe the coaching staff wants one more good showing before they promote him.  it's not as if they've named geno the #2.  that's what's confusing.

at this point, the only reason geno would remain the #2 is b/c he's played in real games.  besides this it's unclear if he has any other advantage.  they are both in year 2 of this system.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

he can definitely lose it.  but maybe the coaching staff wants one more good showing before they promote him.  it's not as if they've named geno the #2.  that's what's confusing.

at this point, the only reason geno would remain the #2 is b/c he's played in real games.  besides this it's unclear if he has any other advantage.  they are both in year 2 of this system.

I think Geno has sewn up the # 2 job UNLESS he gets traded.  Petty and Hackenberg merely need the max # of reps they can get tonight, making the decision to sit Geno a smart one.  But if they keep him on the roster they're not making Geno the # 3 guy.  That would be beyond stupid.  If they view him as a # 3, trade him away to Minnesota or Dallas for a conditional 7th rounder (which can reduce to nothing), because it's over for him as a Jet.

All Petty can do on the positive end tonight is give the front office and coaching staff a little more incentive to move Geno. 

21 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Fitz' contract automatically voids in the off season. Only way he comes back is if the Jets resign him, again. Sure they're hoping one of the kids is ready by then. 

I think Geno has sewn up the # 2 job UNLESS he gets traded.  Petty and Hackenberg merely need the max # of reps they can get tonight, making the decision to sit Geno a smart one. 

All Petty can do on the positive end tonight is give the front office and coaching staff a little more incentive to move Geno. 

i don't think the jets can trade geno.  he's in the last year of his contract so the other team is giving up a pick, perhaps conditional, for a few months of backup duty.  there are other ways teams like minny and dallas can get backup qbs.  the question is, do mccags and bowles think petty and geno are close enough that they are willing to trade geno for something rather than get nothing when the season is over?

Just now, Augustiniak said:

i don't think the jets can trade geno.  he's in the last year of his contract so the other team is giving up a pick, perhaps conditional, for a few months of backup duty.  there are other ways teams like minny and dallas can get backup qbs.  the question is, do mccags and bowles think petty and geno are close enough that they are willing to trade geno for something rather than get nothing when the season is over?

Well the hope would be that they can get a 2018 compensatory pick for Geno when he signs elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I think Geno has sewn up the # 2 job UNLESS he gets traded.  Petty and Hackenberg merely need the max # of reps they can get tonight, making the decision to sit Geno a smart one. 

How does Petty give the front office incentive to move Geno if he has a good game against a bunch of defenders who are 3rd stringers, and soon to be cut players? 

Well the hope would be that they can get a 2018 compensatory pick for Geno when he signs elsewhere. 

if he doesn't play this year, wherever he signs will be for minimal money, and he'd be competing for a backup job somewhere.  he'd basically be where sanchez is now, on the fringe of employability.    

25 minutes ago, Jetster said:

There ain't NO WAY on gods green earth that Geno Smith would resign with the NY Jets next year! Why would anyone that has the chance to go somewhere else actually CHOOSE to stay in a City that he knows 90% of the fan base DESPISES HIM. Geno Smith is counting the days, just like Jet fans are counting his.

Geno's body of work in the NFL SEVERELY limits his ability to CHOOSE anything.  He will get a shot at the chance to win a backup job somewhere.  Maybe.  Otherwise the next stop for Geno is Tim Tebow'land waiting to get a desperation phone call from some team or other only after their starting or backup QB goes down.  Or maybe only when multiple QBs go down.

I think there are multiple ways to look at the game tonight. If Petty goes out and plays well, he either takes hold of the #2 spot (meaning Geno is traded or released) OR forces the team to hold onto 4 QB's. If Petty plays poorly, either the team cuts him and tries to sneak him on the PS or keeps the 4 QB's. Another scenario is that if Petty or Hack get injured, the team can then IR that QB and hold on to 3 through out the season. 

My feeling is the FO wants to see what Petty can do but also make sure he isn't injured. Can you imagine if they traded away Geno and then Petty got hurt? That would leave Hack backing up Fitz which they obviously would not want to happen. 

The good thing about this FO is that none of us have a clue into what they are thinking. Saturday will be extremely interesting to see what happens. 

Just now, EM31 said:

Geno's body of work in the NFL SEVERELY limits his ability to CHOOSE anything.  He will get a shot at the chance to win a backup job somewhere.  Maybe.  Otherwise the next stop for Geno is Tim Tebow'land waiting to get a desperation phone call from some team or other only after their starting or backup QB goes down.  Or maybe only when multiple QBs go down.

multiple qbs have gone down.  no word if geno has been pursued.

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Petty needs to go out there and shred them. Make the decision easy for the coaches.

If he can't capitalize on this moment, then part of me wonders if he's got the makeup of a big stage QB in the first place... last thing we need are two QBs on the roster that can't handle the stage. Yes, the other is Geno. Hack is an unknown commodity.

Agree.  Yet from what little I have seen from Hack this pre-season I think he looks like he certainly can handle the big stage.  Dude seemed amazingly comfortable out there.  Of course he very well may stink and amount to nothing but he certainly seems to have the mental make up to relax out there. For better or worse of course.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Fitz' contract automatically voids in the off season. Only way he comes back is if the Jets resign him, again. Sure they're hoping one of the kids is ready by then. 

Fitz is year to year.  I agree that needing him beyond this year would be evidence that the kids have not developed as we hope.

26 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

If Geno was next man up in the eyes of this team Fitz would not be here right now.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

multiple qbs have gone down.  no word if geno has been pursued.

Understood.  My issue was with the notion that Geno is somehow in a position to choose his next gig.  I think his choices will be very thin.

3 minutes ago, thatboyjack said:

How does Petty give the front office incentive to move Geno if he has a good game against a bunch of defenders who are 3rd stringers, and soon to be cut players? 

By not having a terrible game against a bunch of defenders who are 3rd stringers and soon to be cut.  He can't HELP his stock but he can hurt it. 

Just now, EM31 said:

I agree.  He WAS the next man up.  That developmental pipeline ship has sailed

after fitz won the lockerroom last season after geno lost it, there was no way they weren't bringing him back.  especially after they drafted hack.  they wanted fitz here to mentor the kids and play another year.  geno, milliner and maybe amaro are the 3 leftovers from prior regimes who they haven't been able to either coach up or expunge yet.  

I gotta be honest. As much as I would love Petty to go out there and dominate proving that he should be the #2 QB, that Geno should be cut, I think no matter what Petty does, the Jets are going to end up sticking with Geno as the #2 guy. Otherwise, I think they would have played him. Looking more and more like Jets end up keeping 4 QBs. 

It will be interesting though, if R.Anderson has another good game, he will pretty force the Jets to decide on either keeping 7 WRs or cutting Ross- the only veteran backup (IMO- Peake and J.Marshall are locks). I hope he does, the Jets really need some good luck with cultivating young receiving talent and if Peake, Marshall and Anderson end up developing into legit starters this would be a total coup for Macc (a 7th rounder and two UDFAs).   

Archived