can someone explain the DW and Howsare keeping?

k-met57

neither guy got any burn in preseason. is this procedural so these guys get replaced sometime this week? maybe it has to do with salaries being guaranteed?

i am all for the best players staying, but again these guys barely saw the field in the preseason right? did i miss seeing them?

12 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Howsare is a good STer and the only FB on the roster; my guess is we wanted to keep a FB and the savings from cutting Bohanon instead of Howsare were too good to pass up.

Williams ...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Agreed , had t paid attention to Howsare's position  ... Somebody will play that position ... He Must have not been any drop off from Tommy B

19 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Howdare has value as STer and FB given how infrequently they use one.

Williams is probably a first-cut candidate once they sign a player or two in the coming days.

Agreed, although he could be dropped next wk when Sheldon gets back. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Agreed, although he could be dropped next wk when Sheldon gets back. 

Yup....they're definitely among the few bottom of the roster guys who could be gone at a moment's notice.

1 hour ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Also Thomas, Martin LB, and Stanford.

Who are these guys?

You'd know if you watched the PS games.  All three flashed.  Stanford is a vet (4 years) who played very, very well on D and specials; only way he wasn't making the team was if they only wanted 4ILBs.  Thomas also played very very well on the DL, made plays all over the place.  Odds are he is cut when Sheldon needs a roster spot - but keeping him on the 53 week 1 makes it harder for other teams to sign him (and less likely he would want to go elsewhere).  Martin was OK, and won the 4th OLB job by default, and by having a great week 4.

1 hour ago, David Harris said:

If you are on the opening day roster you were salary for the year is guaranteed. Maybe Tommy Bo will be signed after week one for specific games where we want a FB but we didn't want to pay his higher than a new rookie salary.

That's only true for vets.  Don't think Bohannon had enough service time to qualify.

2 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That's only true for vets.  Don't think Bohannon had enough service time to qualify.

I could be wrong but I thought anyone with 2 or more years in the NFL achieved that status. Like I said, I could be wrong. Either way, Tommy shouldn't be making any penny above the min. 

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

I could be wrong but I thought anyone with 2 or more years in the NFL achieved that status. Like I said, I could be wrong. Either way, Tommy shouldn't be making any penny above the min. 

You're wrong. It requires 4 or more years

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/31/refresher-on-the-vested-veteran-guarantee/

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

Howsare is cheaper than Bohanan. 

Williams is the ONLY SCAT back-type with HR-threat speed compared to the rest of current RBs - Forte, Powell, Robinson. 

The bold is spot on, a point many here are overlooking.

At FB, I seriously doubt Mac would make this move just to save a few pennies.  I think Howsare actually outplayed Bohanan and is a better ST player as well.  20/20 hindsight, we all should have seen this coming since Bohanan played every single quarter of preseason.  That is pretty unusual for one of the 53.  

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

If you are on the opening day roster you were salary for the year is guaranteed. Maybe Tommy Bo will be signed after week one for specific games where we want a FB but we didn't want to pay his higher than a new rookie salary.

This is only true if you are a vested vet and this is only true once in the vets career.  They have to elect to use it.  

The bold is spot on, a point many here are overlooking.

At FB, I seriously doubt Mac would make this move just to save a few pennies.  I think Howsare actually outplayed Bohanan and is a better ST player as well.  20/20 hindsight, we all should have seen this coming since Bohanan played every single quarter of preseason.  That is pretty unusual for one of the 53.  

I actually did see the Bohannon cut coming - I just didn't think they'd keep Howsare. Thought they'd just go without a FB

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Good special teamer, and natural ability. Maybe he will settle down and learn on the job. Could be a good story. 

New nickname; Houseware keeping.  

Lol yep good nickname 

plus the guy is like 255 in addition to blocking for rb he would be good QB bodyguard in passing down

11 hours ago, k-met57 said:

neither guy got any burn in preseason. is this procedural so these guys get replaced sometime this week? maybe it has to do with salaries being guaranteed?

i am all for the best players staying, but again these guys barely saw the field in the preseason right? did i miss seeing them?

Matt Forte who is on the wrong side of 30 and was injured all preseason is the lead RB.

Bilal Powell has a history with this regime and while an awesome asset, was missing injured when the Jets needed him the most last year in Buffalo .

Khiry Robinson was injured all off season and his running style could lead to further injury and missed time .

Dominique Williams provides the same skill set as Powell but is not as good a blocker yet . Experience should improve that area of his game .

Julian Howsare   plays 3 roles and is as effective a special teams performer as Bohannon while costing the team much less in cap value . 

Both these guys are indicative of what this coaching staff and front office are looking for in players .  If you perform, you will be rewarded regardless of how you came to be on the roster . I think Coach Bowles said it best last year .

"On this team, you earn playing time" .

That is all . 

Archived