Ryan Fitzpatrick: Jets are better than last year, and so am I

ARodJetsFan

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He didn't hold out. He was never under contract. 

How do you know the pay day he demanded? 

12 million for a starting QB is not a lot of money for one year. 

He's also the QB who broke records, made this team a legitimate threat for the playoffs last year, and made football on Sundays exciting again for the first time in years. 

Which records were broken again?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, cant wait said:

Brilliant analysis there too. What's next after the OL? Since you think 60% completions is such an unfair goal

You have no interest in discussing the strength and weaknesses of our offensive line and how that may or may not impact the effectiveness of the offense.  Your only interest is in sniffing Geno's taint and bashing the starting QB for this team at every turn.  We have had all been exposed to this act now for more than a year.  We get it. You are a one trick pony. 

Since you are dim witted and do not understand big words i will try to simplify it for you as much as I can.  Do try to follow the bouncing ball.  A statement was made that with this set of receivers that Ryan Fitzpatrick "should" be able to complete at least 60% of his passes.  I made no comment about whether 60% was a fair target or an unfair target.  My point, and my ONLY point was this.... are you paying attention now skippy?  My point was that QB completions are not simply a function of which QB is throwing the ball and which set of WRs are going to be catching them.  The play of the offensive line has a significant amount to say about that as well.

On the other hand you can stick to your  "Geno good, Fitzpatrick bad" mantra.  We get it.  Please don't let any conversations on here interfere with your desire to sniff Geno's jock.  Perhaps after he is cut or traded you will follow him to his next team like a few of the Tim Tebow crowd did after he left.  We can only cross our fingers and hope.

17 minutes ago, EM31 said:

You have no interest in discussing the strength and weaknesses of our offensive line and how that may or may not impact the effectiveness of the offense.  Your only interest is in sniffing Geno's taint and bashing the starting QB for this team at every turn.  We have had all been exposed to this act now for more than a year.  We get it. You are a one trick pony. 

Since you are dim witted and do not understand big words i will try to simplify it for you as much as I can.  Do try to follow the bouncing ball.  A statement was made that with this set of receivers that Ryan Fitzpatrick "should" be able to complete at least 60% of his passes.  I made no comment about whether 60% was a fair target or an unfair target.  My point, and my ONLY point was this.... are you paying attention now skippy?  My point was that QB completions are not simply a function of which QB is throwing the ball and which set of WRs are going to be catching them.  The play of the offensive line has a significant amount to say about that as well.

On the other hand you can stick to your  "Geno good, Fitzpatrick bad" mantra.  We get it.  Please don't let any conversations on here interfere with your desire to sniff Geno's jock.  Perhaps after he is cut or traded you will follow him to his next team like a few of the Tim Tebow crowd did after he left.  We can only cross our fingers and hope.

Where did I say anything remotely close to "geno good?" Or is your desperate flailing just your pathetic way of defending your pwecious widdle fitzyboy? :lol:

23 minutes ago, EM31 said:

But back to the point here, since 60% completions is sooooo unfair to ask from precious fitzy. Let's make sure we have our excuses ready to go.

#1: the OL

#2: ?

3 hours ago, jgb said:

If he was a plumber it's a lot of money. For a QB we paid bottom 12 starter money. In other words, we paid exactly for what he is.

and I am entitled to question the acumnen, skill and value of a guy who's been released by at least 4 teams, has blown a 5-0 start in Buffalo and shlt the bed multiple times. If we miss the playoffs..id argue we should have started Geno or Petty.

Fitz will never look good in preseason. Preseason is all straight up you know what I'm doing and I know what you're doing let's go man to man.

Preseason is all physical. Fitz cannot not win a one on one battle. He needs to set you up then out maneuver you. This is. I believe why they start slow. They're creating tendencies. Anyway it's been well proven that preseason means nothing.

Any panic caused by practice games is purely an emotional reaction.

and I am entitled to question the acumnen, skill and value of a guy who's been released by at least 4 teams, has blown a 5-0 start in Buffalo and shlt the bed multiple times. If we miss the playoffs..id argue we should have started Geno or Petty.

That's convenient to wait for the result 17 weeks from now to argue the action we must take today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, jgb said:

That's convenient to wait for the result 17 weeks for now to argue the action we must take now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

make no mistake..   im 100 percent aligned with MAC here. Fitz at 12M is a fair move (slightly more than I wanted to pay)   but when he opens his mouth like he is a winner... then I made my comment. He gives us the best chance to win but is a below average journeyman. 

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fitz will never look good in preseason. Preseason is all straight up you know what I'm doing and I know what you're doing let's go man to man.

Preseason is all physical. Fitz cannot not win a one on one battle. He needs to set you up then out maneuver you. This is. I believe why they start slow. They're creating tendencies. Anyway it's been well proven that preseason means nothing.

Any panic caused by practice games is purely an emotional reaction.

Agreed, not worried about the preseason at all

I could honestly give 2 sh*ts if Fitz is a better player or not.  Just make the ******* playoffs. 

You choked last year with a top 10 D, top 10 O and the easiest schedule in the history of the league.  

STFU and make the playoffs.  He could throw 10 TD's for all I care.  Just get in.

35 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Who ever said you weren't entitled? Just like I can point out your laughable double standard when protecting Geno but reading the worst possible interpretation into every thing Fitz says or does. Guy talks about being confident about going into the season and suddenly that's a bad thing. I guess you prefer the silent, sulky type.

17 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Would be great. However, I'm looking at Forte as 3rd option in pass game. That's why he is here. Not for his rushing. He was pretty weak as a runner statistically last season, especially on short yardage. However, as a receiver out of the backfield and even in the slot, he's still as good as it gets.

I think the Jets are gonna miss Ivory, and that the loss of Robinson as his potential bruising replacement is gonna hurt. Ivory excelled at yards after contact, and that's what you need behind a suspect OL. Hopefully having Forte gives Fitz a better option than running and not sliding, but they need a running game. Not gonna win with Fitz throwing 50 times a game, and I don't see his arm holding up if that's what's asked of him. 

With Fitz not being anything of a deep threat, the Jets become very easy to defend against if they can't get a running game going. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

I think the Jets are gonna miss Ivory, and that the loss of Robinson as his potential bruising replacement is gonna hurt. Ivory excelled at yards after contact, and that's what you need behind a suspect OL. Hopefully having Forte gives Fitz a better option than running and not sliding, but they need a running game. Not gonna win with Fitz throwing 50 times a game, and I don't see his arm holding up if that's what's asked of him. 

With Fitz not being anything of a deep threat, the Jets become very easy to defend against if they can't get a running game going. 

Of course they're going to miss game 1 Ivory, but slowly wearing down until he's out Ivory, they will not miss.

Powell's breakout the second half led to 5 straight wins. I think you're discounting the importance of screens, checkdowns, and blitz pickup.

Also you're, like I did, projecting Ivory at 100% throughout a game, much less the season, which he never is. 

2 minutes ago, slats said:

Am sorry about Robinson for those goal-line / short yardage situations as well.  Forte is going to need to show his above average RB running ability (in addition to the dump off receptions that we expect) for us to have a good go of it this year ... As of now I expect he will

5 minutes ago, slats said:

This is the absolute main concern this season.  Now we morph into a pass happy screen happy team I suppose.  

5 minutes ago, slats said:

In general, Fitz is pretty terrible if he doesnt have a running game to compliment him. He's just not god enough to carry a team with his arm.  At least not week in week out.

The Jets have to get the running game going.  They dont have the QB or the receivers to stretch the field.  Like you said, they can become very easy to defend without it. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

i think the offensive personnel this year is much more tailored to gailey's system.  he wants rbs who can catch.  the offense was more effective last year with powell.  now they have powell and forte.  they also have more wr talent.  the goal is not to pound ivory until he limps off the field.  the goal is to use 4 wrs and rbs, spread defenses out and create mismatches.   

3 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He didn't hold out. He was never under contract. 

How do you know the pay day he demanded? 

12 million for a starting QB is not a lot of money for one year. 

He's also the QB who broke records, made this team a legitimate threat for the playoffs last year, and made football on Sundays exciting again for the first time in years. 

He broke one record - singular. Not an NFL record, but a Jets team record originally set around the time the Jets became an NFL franchise. This speaks much more to the futility of Jets QBs than it does to the quality of Fitzpatrick. It's not like he did it by spreading the ball around, either, he did it by throwing the ball in the general direction of maybe the best WR tandem in the league, against the easiest schedule in the league. 

I thought $8M/year was too much, and that $12M is ridiculous. Which is why he was still a free agent on training camp eve. I don't care what other teams pay starting QBs, the league looked at Fitz and determined he wasn't one of those. 

And if he's not on the team next year, he costs $5M against next year's cap. I hope he gets a lot of mentoring in for that money. 

Another feel good confidence article.  I love the Marshall quote...about how smart they are.  Coming from a guy who basically lost the Jets a game last year by attempting a lateral when he was getting tackled.  So smart.

The Jets are a confident bunch.

Coming off a 10-6 season in 2015 with largely the same cast of characters back, the 2016 team believes it can be better than it was a year ago. We will begin to find out if that is correct when they open the season Sunday against the Bengals at MetLife Stadium.

“I think that we have more confidence going into the year this year than maybe we did last year,” quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick said. “I think maybe we expect more out of ourselves. That being said, we’ve got to go out there and do it. It’s hard to look ahead or look at the entire season and put some goals on it. I think it really just starts with Sunday and setting the tone and really trying to figure out what kind of football team we’re going to be this year.”

You would think the goal of this team would be to make the playoffs after the Jets finished one game short of the postseason last year. As an organization, the Jets are in a five-year playoff drought. It is the longest stretch without a playoff appearance for the Jets since the mid-’90s.

But owner Woody Johnson stopped short of delivering any playoff-or-else directivesWednesday. Speaking to reporters before practice, Johnson would not say the season would be a disappointment without a trip to the postseason.

“I’m not going to really look at it that way,” Johnson said. “We try to get into the playoffs every year. That’s our goal. In fact, to go further than that, you have to do it a game at a time. I’m not going to play the whole season out in advance.”

Modal Triggerwjj.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300&strip
Woody Johnson talks to reporters on Sept. 7.Photo: Bill Kostroun

Jets coach Todd Bowles said he knows what Johnson expects.

“Obviously he wants to win,” Bowles said. “Every owner does. Every general manager does. Every coach does. As far as conveying expectations, [there is] not much [discussion with Johnson]. We talk about a whole bunch of other things. He gives insight and we talk about the team in general. But we don’t talk about expectations that way. We know what the expectations are.”

And those are?

“To win,” Bowles said.

The Jets feel good about their chances in Year 2 under Bowles. A year ago, there were a lot of new faces from the coaching staff to the starting lineup. Now, they have had a year together.

“From a chemistry standpoint, we’re probably better than we were a year ago,” Bowles said.

Second-year defensive lineman Leonard Williams said the team draws off last year without dwelling on it.

“I think [our confidence is] very high,” Williams said. “We’re looking past last season, but we know what we had last season and we know what we have now. I think a lot of guys are pretty confident in what we can do. We’re ready to put it on the field.”

The biggest hurdle for the Jets may be their schedule, which was ranked as the second toughest in the NFL by Football Outsiders. Wide receiver Brandon Marshall said the Jets can’t worry about who they are facing.

“It’s on us. We control our own destiny,” Marshall said. “It’s a really talented team. Talent can only [take you so far]. The thing I’m excited about is how smart we are. If we play up to our potential, we will be in every single ballgame. That’s all you can ask for in this league.”

11 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Of course they're going to miss game 1 Ivory, but slowly wearing down until he's out Ivory, they will not miss.

Powell's breakout the second half led to 5 straight wins. I think you're discounting the importance of screens, checkdowns, and blitz pickup.

Also you're, like I did, projecting Ivory at 100% throughout a game, much less the season, which he never is. 

Listen, I wouldn't've resigned Ivory, either, but they needed to replace what he did for the offense, and Robinson was supposed to be that guy. Now he's gone, and they replaced him with some sort of scat back. They need that workhorse type back, IMHO. 

Not discounting Powell, I've long been a fan and was happy when they resigned him. He's an excellent jack of all trades guy. The screen game works best when you have a deep threat, though, and play action goes out the window if you don't have a running game. I'm hoping Forte is LaDainian Tomlinson here. I hope so, because he needs to be. 

25 minutes ago, slats said:

Yea, agreed. Forte isn't good at short yardage. Not sure how Bilal is. I had very high hopes for Khiry as the "closer", grinding out the clock in the 4th quarter of games, and pushing the pile on the goal lines.

7 minutes ago, JiF said:

“It’s on us. We control our own destiny,” Marshall said. “It’s a really talented team. Talent can only [take you so far]. The thing I’m excited about is how smart we are. If we play up to our potential, we will be in every single ballgame. That’s all you can ask for in this league.”

This.

However, controlling their own destiny seemed to be an afterthought last week 17.

6 minutes ago, slats said:

He broke one record - singular. Not an NFL record, but a Jets team record originally set around the time the Jets became an NFL franchise. This speaks much more to the futility of Jets QBs than it does to the quality of Fitzpatrick. It's not like he did it by spreading the ball around, either, he did it by throwing the ball in the general direction of maybe the best WR tandem in the league, against the easiest schedule in the league. 

I thought $8M/year was too much, and that $12M is ridiculous. Which is why he was still a free agent on training camp eve. I don't care what other teams pay starting QBs, the league looked at Fitz and determined he wasn't one of those. 

And if he's not on the team next year, he costs $5M against next year's cap. I hope he gets a lot of mentoring in for that money. 

Nevertheless he did break that one record which is not nothing.  Vinnie, Chad and Kenny all put together good years for the Jets and yet Ryan Fitzpatrick of all people broke that Jets record.  Even if he did so under a favorable set of circumstances (schedule and WR talent) and even if he did so in an era where passing records are falling league-wide due to the current way that rules are enforced.

Nevertheless i agree with you that $12M for this year was too much and that a better way forward for the franchise would have been to have Geno start this year even if that meant holding our collective noses and suffering a worse W/L record.  I truly believed and strill believe that this team might have been in the running for a top-3 pick next year with Geno at the helm.  I think we would have had an opportunity to get a look-see at Petty in the last few games.  Plus we would have $12M more in cap room and maybe that would have allowed us to pick up a player here or there.

4 minutes ago, slats said:

Listen, I wouldn't've resigned Ivory, either, but they needed to replace what he did for the offense, and Robinson was supposed to be that guy. Now he's gone, and they replaced him with some sort of scat back. They need that workhorse type back, IMHO. 

Not discounting Powell, I've long been a fan and was happy when they resigned him. He's an excellent jack of all trades guy. The screen game works best when you have a deep threat, though, and play action goes out the window if you don't have a running game. I'm hoping Forte is LaDainian Tomlinson here. I hope so, because he needs to be. 

last year the jets were 9-2 in games powell played, and 1-4 in games he didn't play.  while there were of course other factors at play, it is worth noting.  in fact, powell didn't play in either loss vs. buffalo.  he is more valuable than ivory in this offense.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

last year the jets were 9-2 in games powell played, and 1-4 in games he didn't play.  while there were of course other factors at play, it is worth noting.  in fact, powell didn't play in either loss vs. buffalo.  he is more valuable than ivory in this offense.  

So you're thinking, what? Maybe 13-3 if Powell stays healthy? 

37 minutes ago, slats said:

Marshall didn't break a record catching the ball from another QB.

He's the 23rd highest paid QB. Squabbling over a few million dollars is ridiculous in the grand scheme of things. There are other players on this team based on performance that are much more overpaid than him.

Bryce Petty is on record of saying that Fitz has been a valuable asset to his growth and development. Hack would be smart to latch on as well.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

I could honestly give 2 sh*ts if Fitz is a better player or not.  Just make the ******* playoffs. 

You choked last year with a top 10 D, top 10 O and the easiest schedule in the history of the league.  

STFU and make the playoffs.  He could throw 10 TD's for all I care.  Just get in.

^^ This.  He can make one completion all year as long as that is the one that puts us in the post season.  

5 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Matthew Stafford had 0 TD passed this preseason. 

And?

Cam Newton had 1 but completed only 55% of his passes. 

And?

Brady didn't hit 55%. 

And?

Matt Ryan didn't hit 50%. 

And?

Andrew Luck had 0 TD passes. 

And?

So did Cutler and Palmer. Neither completed over 55% of their passes either. 

And?

Everyone panic! 

Irrelevant. Fitz hasn't looked better than last year and thats all I said. 

3 hours ago, jgb said:

You make a key point I neglected. Even if we paid a premium on a one year deal, we got something for our money: flexibility to move on at the end of the season with no cap killing consequences. One year deals are almost always team-friendly. This is why players hate being franchised tagged. Sure they usually make more money in one year than they would make per year in a long term deal but security is everything to players of a sport where careers can end with one hit.

Not to nit pick, there is a 5 million dead money cap hit next year; it isn't cap killing, except we may have another tight year. I agree he is getting paid at about value. We have the flexibility to move on next year; hopefully we will be in a position to do so; I have nothing against Fitz, but he is what he is a smart QB with a slightly below-average arm that finds a way to win games. Would love him to stay as a backup (don't think that will happen unless he tanks this year), but more importantly, I would love for Petty (or Hack - not likely) to surpass him.

We can walk away next year, and I believe with that whole 2nd year option/poison pill, we still CAN get a compensatory pick if he signs elsewhere.

Archived