Jets’ Jenkins set to Make Pro Debut?

JetNation

Jordan Jenkins JN

By Glenn Naughton

After missing each of the Jets’ first two regular season games due to a calf injury suffered late in training camp, it sounds like rookie linebacker Jordan Jenkins could be making his debut this Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs.

At this point, it’s not as much about Jordan’s injury as much as it is his conditioning according to head coach Todd Bowles.  When asked about Jenkins’ progress, Bowles replied “He’s progressing pretty good.  We just have to get him in shape”.  A Jets beat writer followed up with by asking if there was any impact from the injury at this point to which Bowles clarified, “Just getting him in shape”.

Jets fans could get their first regular season glimpse of Jenkins on Sunday.

Jets fans could get their first regular season glimpse of Jenkins on Sunday.

Outside of a sack from Lorenzo Mauldin in the season opener, the Jets haven’t seen many impact plays from their outside ‘backers which shouldn’t be much cause for concern after only two games.  The lack of plays could be attributed a lack of reps (45 for Mauldin, 30 for Catapano), and the Jets defense often being boom or bust.  Opposing offenses are either being shut down in short order, or scoring on quick-strike deep passes, putting together very few extended drives.

Jenkins, who was instantly plugged in and given a shot to win the starting job from the first day of off-season OTA’s seized the opportunity and never looked back.

Now the Jets and their fans are hoping the 6’ 3”, 247 lb University of Georgia product is looking forward to a week 3 pro debut.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
m4B7YHFpXTk

Click here to read the full story...

So my question is who is he taking reps from?  Jets are mostly playing a 4-3 now, so Harris is playing middle, Henderson/Lee have been playing one side while Mauldin has been playing the other.   I would think a rotation with Mauldin would be it except he already sharing reps with Catapano.  Does he take Catapano reps?

5 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

So my question is who is he taking reps from?  Jets are mostly playing a 4-3 now, so Harris is playing middle, Henderson/Lee have been playing one side while Mauldin has been playing the other.   I would think a rotation with Mauldin would be it except he already sharing reps with Catapano.  Does he take Catapano reps?

Catapano and Mauildin have been less than impressive. 

25 minutes ago, varjet said:

What is with the calf injuries to both Jenkins and Carpenter?  Can the trainer work on that?

Meh...injuries happen.  I was at camp when Jenkins got hurt but it happened on the far end of the field.  From where I was standing, I think somebody may have rolled up on him.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Meh...injuries happen.  I was at camp when Jenkins got hurt but it happened on the far end of the field.  From where I was standing, I think somebody may have rolled up on him.

Weird if he got rolled up on and it is his calf, usually a knee or an ankle with that type of injury.

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

Weird if he got rolled up on and it is his calf, usually a knee or an ankle with that type of injury.

Again, I could be wrong...it happened about 60 yards away and could've been somebody on the ground right next to him.  I guess my main point is that a couple of calf injuries doesn't worry me a whole lot.  If we start seeing a few more, then sure, take a look at what they're doing to get loose.

30 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Yes. They've been running a 4-2-5 mostly. With Jenkins back, that means the Jets can change the looks a lot more and vary their formations a bit. Catapano gets relegated to special teams and situational pass rushing, but he hasn't even been that solid with that either.  

47 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Yes. They've been running a 4-2-5 mostly. With Jenkins back, that means the Jets can change the looks a lot more and vary their formations a bit. Catapano gets relegated to special teams and situational pass rushing, but he hasn't even been that solid with that either.  

I was definitely hoping to see more from him with the chance he had the first two weeks.

19 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I was definitely hoping to see more from him with the chance he had the first two weeks.

In fairness to him, it's not like he's had much of a shot.  Averaging 15 snaps per game and not exclusively on passing downs to just get after the QB.

35 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Catapano has 11 pass rush snaps on pass plays...Mauldin has 37.

Actually might even be less than that...this is off the top of my head from looking at PFF snap counts the other day.

32 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I do like how this defense is getting more and more able to change personnel and scheme depending on what opposing O are doing.  This is what the best Defenses are doing now, and the Jets are getting well set up for it. 

i agree but Bowels needs to make the in game adjustments. Sometimes he doesn't seem to do that

Bowles & Rodgers need to get this defense straightened out so they stop giving up the huge plays. That's something you don't see the Patriots defense giving up. The Green TD, the TE for Cincy getting WIDE OPEN, Goodwin TD, Salas TD. 

Other the the 4th down stop, in 2 games the Jets defense doesn't have any splashy TO plays. It's amazing that we had 7 sacks in that 1st game & never knocked the ball out. Seems every time the Von Miller gets to the QB, their picking up fumbles.

lets hope that changes this Sunday & we get some bounces. 

15 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Bowles & Rodgers need to get this defense straightened out so they stop giving up the huge plays. That's something you don't see the Patriots defense giving up. The Green TD, the TE for Cincy getting WIDE OPEN, Goodwin TD, Salas TD. 

Other the the 4th down stop, in 2 games the Jets defense doesn't have any splashy TO plays. It's amazing that we had 7 sacks in that 1st game & never knocked the ball out. Seems every time the Von Miller gets to the QB, their picking up fumbles.

lets hope that changes this Sunday & we get some bounces. 

It certainly does seem like there's some confusion with our DB's...Considering Bowles is a DB guy you would expect that not to be the case.  But it's also part of the reason why I think they'll get it fixed.   Fix that and this defense can get scary.

I am excited to see Jenkins, hopefully, make his season and NFL debut against a potentially dangerous KC Run game if Jamaal Charles plays healthy. While Mauldin does have a sack in 2 games, you can see he still is a liability in coverage and effectively SETTING the edge - still runs past the play. 

I think Jenkins can provide more strength at the position and better coverage to compliment Bowle's blitz schemes. With Lee already showing his speed and its TFL ability our LB unit will only get faster and better.  

12 hours ago, jamesr said:

He got a sack on Dalton.

I did forget that! I stand corrected. I had high hopes for him this year. I just don't feel I've seen him pop up in plays or creating pressures. Its only been two games though and theres always one or two players by midseason I see their stats and am surprised how well they've actually been playing. 

22 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

and he didn't get a lot of snaps vs. buffalo.  

The gameplan against Buffalo was more about containing Tyrod Taylor. Having your outside rushers pin their ears back and go all-out for the QB will potentially open up running lanes for a mobile QB. Taylor is not a very good pocket QB (their two big play TDs occurred when he was on the move), so the Jets wanted to keep him in a place where he was least likely to excel.

Mauldin will see more time this week.

13 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

The gameplan against Buffalo was more about containing Tyrod Taylor. Having your outside rushers pin their ears back and go all-out for the QB will potentially open up running lanes for a mobile QB. Taylor is not a very good pocket QB (their two big play TDs occurred when he was on the move), so the Jets wanted to keep him in a place where he was least likely to excel.

Smith is quite effective as a running QB - not in the same style as Taylor, much more Fitz like to be honest - but like Fitz he can sustain drives if you give him that open field to run into.

6 hours ago, sourceworx said:

+1

I reviewed the NYJ-Buf game last night and that is DEAD ON accurate in regards to the OLBs vs. Tyrod Taylor. The Jets D kept him in the pocket and you saw he threw some DUCKS and missed wide-open guys. Yet, when he started to move the pocket and avoid the PassRush, you saw the threat he poses when made to improvise - TD to Salas, 10 years scramble for a 1st down, etc.

The ONE play that Catapano simply Rushed the QB, Taylor simply shifted to his right and saw a HUGE lane that he decided to take and ran it for a 1st down. Against KC I expect the OLBs to simply rush the QB more to flush the pocket since AlexSmith isn't as lethally mobile as Taylor is. 

Archived