The NY Jets staff hate Geno Smith

johnnyjet

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

If he plays and plays well it's a win win.I'm not assuming he's going to suck. But I anticipate the excuses that will be given by his fans if he plays poorly. I mean first let's see how Fitz does on Sunday. I assume you hope he plays well and we win. And you're not rooting for him to do poorly. 

You assume correct.   My biggest issue with Fitz is his inability to take advantage of our speed receivers like Anderson and stretch the field; no matter how he plays that part is unlikely to change. 

• Replies 576
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SAR I said:

What I mean by "under normal circumstances" is that once I decide that the quarterback I'm seeing isn't good I always and immediately cut-and-run to the next man up, the young QB we have on the roster.  Pennington after Testeverde got bad.  Clemens after Pennington got bad.  That sort of thing.

But in this circumstance I've seen enough of Geno and so the idea is to wait until Petty is ready and that's the guy we give the reins to, let's see what he's got.

Basically, I'm subscribing to the Skip Over Geno approach.  He's on the roster for emergencies and stepping away from Fitzpatrick would mean the season is over, no more need for an emergency quarterback, its more important that we validate Petty.

SAR I

Far enough

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2666621-geno-smith-is-ready-if-fitz-falters-im-way-too-talented-to-be-a-backup#

This is why the Jets and Jet fans 'hate' him. Shut up dude!

All talk no action. Stop telling us how good you are and show us. The sky is the limit?? Come on my man. Don't cry about not being the starter, go out and earn it. Or at the very least, just sit quiet in the wings and be ready when it's your time. No social media posts, no telling us how talented you are. 

Geno is like Rex without the initial success.

No Jet fans like you hate him because of some other agenda.  Here is the article and what he ACTUALLY said.   Now please let me know just what you take issue with?  

BUFFALO, N.Y. — He doesn't surf through the mass of humanity to greet anyone, nor is anyone waiting to greet him. There's no jersey exchange. No reminiscing. He's mired in postgame purgatory these days. Darting his eyes around New Era Field one final time, he decides that, nah, he's good and heads through the tunnel.

Geno Smith is the backup quarterback.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is the starter. And the starter—that bearded wonder making a cool $12 million—is the main attraction after this game, a 37-31 win over the Bills in Week 2. As Fitzpatrick explains his FitzMagic at a press conference moments after the game, Smith stands here in sudden, surreal obscurity.  

One punch KO'ed him into irrelevance.

Inside a crammed visitor's locker room, the 25-year-old knows where this conversation is headed.

"Eventually everybody will see," Smith begins. "Eventually everybody will see.

"You've got to roll with the punches."

Yes, one could say that.

It's one thing to lose your job based strictly on performance. Or an ankle injury. Or an arrest. In the summer of 2015, Smith lost his when a backup linebacker named IK Enemkpali cold-cocked him in the jaw. He was set to be the starter in Year 3, but instead he needed surgery, Fitzpatrick stepped in and the rest is history.

hi-res-b64b09e958368e579ca59af3942f5010_

Ezra Shaw/Getty Images
Career stats
Geno Smith W-L Cmp% Yds TD-Int
2013 (Jets) 8-8 55.8 3046 12-21
2014 (Jets) 3-10 59.7 2525 13-13
2015 (Jets) 0-0 64.3 265 2-1
2016 (Jets) 0-0 0 0 0-0
Ryan Fitzpatrick W-L Cmp% Yds TD-Int
2005 (Rams) 0-3 56.3 777 4-8
2006 (Rams) 0-0 0 0 0-0
2007 (Bengals) 0-0 0 0 0-0
2008 (Bengals) 4-7 59.4 1905 8-9
2009 (Bills) 4-4 55.9 1422 9-10
2010 (Bills) 4-9 57.8 3000 23-15
2011 (Bills) 6-10 62 3832 24-23
2012 (Bills) 6-10 60.6 3400 24-16
2013 (Titans) 3-6 62 2454 14-12
2014 (Texans) 6-6 63.1 2483 17-8
2015 (Jets) 10-6 59.6 3905 31-15
2016 (Jets) 1-2 55.8 751 3-7

pro-football-reference.com

The career journeyman enjoyed a career renaissance, with 3,905 yards and 31 touchdowns. Smith's last start was Dec. 28, 2014.

Then this past offseason, Fitz and the Jets engaged in a seven-month staring contest, Smith preparing as the No. 1 all along through OTA's and minicamp. But, voila, Fitzpatrick re-signed on July 27.

That punch heard 'round the sports world is still rocking Smith's world.  

But Geno Smith is here to tell you, emphatically, he's better for it.

Is he optimistic? Grateful? A Fitz ally? Yes, yes and absolutely yes. Smith speaks with Stuart Smalleytenderness. But he was also "pissed off" when the Jets re-signed Fitzpatrick and assures, "I'm still pissed off." When he runs sprints, lifts weights, studies film, he thinks about the Jets' decision.

Asked point blank if he should be the starter of this team, Smith is shy, then not so shy.

"I'm not going to go there right now," he says. "I believe in myself. I was the starting quarterback at one point. I don't see why I can't be."

Yet here he is. Waiting.

He won't relive The Punch, but the story that surfaced originally was that Smith owed Enemkpali $600 in travel costs after missing the linebacker's football camp due to the death of a brother's best friend. Three months later, Smith told Newsday he never owed Enemkpali a dime.

Either way, he was sucker-punched and refuses to lament what could've been.

"You could walk outside and get hit by a car," Smith says. "You never know what could happen with life. Life throws obstacles at you, and you just have to take them—and it really shows your character, what type of man you are. Are you going to lay down and cry? Or are you going to stand back up and keep fighting?"

Smith has been fighting, his way, ever since. After trying to learn several different types of offenses under Marty Mornhinweg—the coordinator in all-out experimentation with the 2013 39th overall pick—Smith found comfort in Chan Gailey's scheme. He fine-tuned mechanics with personal quarterback coach, Tom House.

hi-res-088a1639b5ef7aa9e6328b2ea85f421b_

Patrick McDermott/Getty Images

At West Virginia, Smith was an arcade-like juggernaut in completing 71.2 percent of his passes for 4,205 yards, 42 touchdowns and only six interceptions as a senior. Today, he admits the Mountaineers offense did not translate to the NFL. He needed to the learn why and howbehind plays.

So forget those 35 interceptions to 27 touchdowns his first three pro seasons. Forget the 72.3 passer rating.

Smith is beaming. He says "the sky's the limit" for his potential, describing himself as a pocket passer who can now decode coverages. When he rewatches those picks, he cringes at a green-as-grass quarterback "doing a lot of things blind."

"Now, I know where the guys are going to be," Smith says. "It's not like I'm dropping back and trying to figure out where they're going to be. I know where they're going to be and I can just react."

Just ask House, he adds. And House agrees.

One of the most influential men in football you've never heard of, the former MLB pitcher has worked with the best quarterbacks in the game at 3DQB in Southern California, from Carson Palmer and Andy Dalton to a quartet of Super Bowl champs in Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Eli Manning and Joe Flacco. For 2½ years, he has also worked with Smith. And he says the post-punch Smith is "night and day" different than the pre-punch version.

Not nearly as committed at first, "goofy" even, House soon saw the skills a franchise quarterback must possess.

These last two summers, something clicked.

"You don't want the kids to be passive," House says. "You want them to be angry or frustrated that they're going to be a back-up. But you can't let that emotion get in the way of your job. And your job is to prepare yourself. You have to make sure that your process gives you the best chance for a positive outcome.

"He's so much better across the board in all those things. Whenever his opportunity comes, he's going to be just fine."

It still blows Smith's mind that Michael Vick was once his back-up. He repeats that nobody is bigger than the game and that he must accept life as a back-up right now. Safety Calvin Pryor, one of Smith's closest friends on the team, insists such rhetoric is real.

hi-res-f05844f053320db8f4d7275a28d2b9d5_

Wesley Hitt/Getty Images

Smith, while "pissed off," didn't sulk.

"It was hard, it was hard," Pryor says. "You're going to go through some things. It's how you bounce back from it. I think he has handled it well. At times, he can get frustrated. But as a brother, you let him know 'God has a plan for you. It's going to work out whether it's here or another place.'

"It happened and all of a sudden—boom!—things took a left turn."

Teammates were truly starting to believe in Smith before the punch, Pryor says, and then again this past summer. Still, he has no clue who Smith is as a quarterback now. Nor does Pryor have a clue where Smith's career goes from here. He only insists this is a quarterback who's "locked in."

Adds receiver Quincy Enunwa, "I think anybody would be frustrated. But I think the way he showed it is great. He comes in and he's still that positive guy."

Every time Smith starts daydreaming about starting again, about the fate of a franchise resting on his shoulders, he instantly retreats to the reality that he must stay patient.

He thinks back to his childhood. To the story of his birth, when the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he couldn't breathe. To the fact that his dad was behind bars when he was a kid, only recently turning his life around. And to the woman who raised him most, his grandmother Mosetta Bratton. She was stern. Tough. She refused to let Smith feel like a victim.

Bratton died on Aug. 7, 2012 at the age of 61 and her lessons stuck.

"Never pitying yourself," Smith says. "I'm never that guy. I live a wonderful life. I'm in the NFL. Think about it. We're in the NFL. Not many people get this opportunity, so I'm not going to take it for granted.

"You can't look at things for what they are right now because life goes on. Five or 10 years from now, I could be a Super Bowl-winning quarterback and no one will remember this. Maybe they'll say this is what elevated me. But I have to use this time right here as a benefit."

Which all explains Smith's actions those raw hours after Enemkpalislugged him.

He could've pressed charges, could've sent Enemkpali to jail.

Instead, the two actually talked it out. Enemkpali apologized, and Smith accepted that apology. Smith wanted to become a story of inspiration, not bristling vindication. He refused to be a victim.

"I think he did something in the moment he didn't really want to do," Smith says. "People don't know me and him had a really good relationship. I wouldn't have been invited to the camp if not. I want to use that situation as my story to tell the little kids back home that this happened to me and I didn't let it stop me.

"That situation is not going to define me. It never has and never will. I'm too good of a player to let something like that stop me from playing in this league."

Of course, his own employer is skeptical. Not only have the Jets turned to Fitz twice, they've drafted quarterbacks in the fourth round (Bryce Petty) and second round (Christian Hackenberg) since taking Smith. Every personnel decision made by a changing front office suggests the Jets don't believe in Smith.

Smith cites his 4.5 in the 40-yard dash, his accuracy and his last 10 starts. He'll be a free agent next spring and—looking around the NFL—Smith has no doubt he'll start again. The way the 6'3", 218-pounder sees it, only half of the teams in the NFL have franchise quarterbacks. That leaves 16 options.

"It's going to come," he says. "I'm way too talented."

hi-res-3d731d62ba36f86facf73dc1e88c882c_

Rich Barnes/Getty Images

Says House, "He got delayed, not denied. When he gets his opportunity, he'll run with it."

In the meantime, the Jets will ride the right arm of Fitzpatrick as long as it lasts. Against Buffalo, his rapport with Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker was downright poetry in motion. He sliced 'n' diced the secondary on back-shoulder throws, threaded of a needle over the middle, you name it.

And then this past week, he was absolutely dreadful, with six interceptions in a 24-3 loss at Kansas City. One telegraphed wounded duck after another, Fitzpatrick earned Pro Football Focus' worst grade ever for a quarterback.

The 100-plus career starts made him the easy choice into this 2016 season, but how long does Fitzpatrick remain that choice for ToddBowles? Smith must be on the Jets head coach's mind. The quarterback's road back must be on his mind.

Smith doesn't knock Fitz after his near-perfect Bills game. He calls him "a great leader," a veteran who understands the game.

"But I've been a starter," Smith says. "I've been playing. I hate to continue to throw that around. It's not like I'm throwing my weight around. But I just believe that I can do a lot of things in this league. I've done it."

Five minutes later, Fitzpatrick appears.

The two chat and Smith packs up his things. He leaves the locker room without a sprain, a bruise, a scratch. Only a surgically repaired jaw that assures you one thing this night.

Geno Smith is a backup now, but he might not be a backup for long.

Tyler Dunne covers the NFL for Bleacher Report. Follow him on Twitter at@TyDunne.

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Some of Genos behaviour is not great for a 'starting QB' most of it is way overblown.  No one would care about that stuff if he was a better QB.

Well if you read the article the entire point is, that after a year and more of watching and learning, he may very well BE a better quarterback but unfortunately he probably won't get to show it as a NY Jet.   

Just now, JetBlue said:

Well if you read the article the entire point is, that after a year and more of watching and learning, he may very well BE a better quarterback but unfortunately he probably won't get to show it as a NY Jet.   

He had a chance all summer and then went and completed 53% of his passes in the preseason and didn't look like he had improved at all. The coaching staff and management had as good a look at 4th year Geno Smith as they wanted to get, and the went out and brought Fitz back. That should tell you all you need to know.

"I believe in myself. I was the starting quarterback at one point. I don't see why I can't be."  And he says the post-punch Smith is "night and day" different than the pre-punch version.

200w.gif

SAR I

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He had a chance all summer and then went and completed 53% of his passes in the preseason and didn't look like he had improved at all. The coaching staff and management had as good a look at 4th year Geno Smith as they wanted to get, and the went out and brought Fitz back. That should tell you all you need to know.

You are not serious are you?  Just what did Fitz do in preseason to warrant being handed the job?  Nothing! That was the point; the moment Fitz signed the job was HIS.  Not his to lose, but HIS PERIOD.  There was NOTHING Smith could have done that would have made any difference and you know it. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

You are not serious are you?  Just what did Fitz do in preseason to warrant be handed the job?  Nothing! That was the point; the moment Fitz signed the job was HIS.  Not his to lose but HIS PERIOD.  

Fitz was handed the job based on 2015. If Geno had been worth starting in 2016, Fitz doesn't come back. This isn't difficult to understand.

3 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

His game last year showed me all I needed to see.  He was the same old Geno.

Throws a nice ball.

Makes some good throws.

Runs a few times for positive yardage.

Looks decent.

All of a sudden makes mindbogglingly awful decisions talking awful sacks. Poor ball security etc.  He also did the same thing this preseason.  Looked very good to start, looked like he was getting it, then lapses back into poor play.

He's had a lot of chances, more than many QB's get. The Jets owe him nothing at all.

Just now, JetBlue said:

You are not serious are you?  Just what did Fitz do in preseason to warrant be handed the job?  Nothing! That was the point; the moment Fitz signed the job was HIS.  Not his to lose but HIS PERIOD.  

Geno couldve looked like 2015 Cam Newton mixed with 2007 Tom Brady and Fitzpatrick would still be the starting QB. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Fitz was handed the job based on 2015. If Geno had been worth starting in 2016, Fitz doesn't come back. This isn't difficult to understand.

Whatever.  Bottom line is in 4 months he will be gone and you guys can find some one else hate. 

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

His game last year showed me all I needed to see.  He was the same old Geno.

Throws a nice ball.

Makes some good throws.

Runs a few times for positive yardage.

Looks decent.

All of a sudden makes mindbogglingly awful decisions talking awful sacks. Poor ball security etc.  He also did the same thing this preseason.  Looked very good to start, looked like he was getting it, then lapses back into poor play.

He's had a lot of chances, more than many QB's get. The Jets owe him nothing at all.

No they don't and in 4 months or so he will be gone.   It is my opinion the story of his career has not yet been written and he may yet surprise a lot of people.  

Lol, his last game? You mean when he came in the game cold with no prep?  So what were you saying when you saw Fitz play lousy against Cinn. and then totally stink up the joint against KC?  He can have bad games after a full preseason and training camp but Geno is not allowed to be rusty coming off the bench?  

You guys are amazing. 

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

They brought back the previous years starting QB who threw 31 TD's and helped the team win 10 games. Geno hasn't done enough to risk the messing up the goodwill from the 2015 season. 

Just now, JetBlue said:

Geno **** the naysayers.  Don't let their opinion be your reality. 

There would a lot less naysayers if he would shut it and play ball... or not set himself and the team up to get bashed on social media and play ball... or not post pics of his dick and play ball.... or pay IK his money and play ball.... eh, forget it. He's got to be capable of playing good football.

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

"I believe in myself. I was the starting quarterback at one point. I don't see why I can't be."  And he says the post-punch Smith is "night and day" different than the pre-punch version.

200w.gif

8 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There would a lot less naysayers if he would shut it and play ball... or not set himself and the team up to get bashed on social media and play ball... or not post pics of his dick and play ball.... or pay IK his money and play ball.... eh, forget it. He's got to be capable of playing good football.

No you would find something else to bitch about.   How can he "play ball" when he is the back up??   The guy said he didn't owe IK any money but you don't believe him.  He could have had the guy arrested but took the high road instead but he gets nothing but sh*t from guys like you.  The fact that IK actually apologized also means nothing apparently.   A lot of young guys post dick pics; it is stupid but these are the time we live in.  I mean freaking Brett Farve did it and I guess that was okay.    He has done nothing to get the amount of ridicule and venom he gets from this place and it really makes me sick.  Just admit you hate the guy and move on.  The good news is that in a few months he will be gone and you can find a new whipping boy to focus on. 

21 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No they don't and in 4 months or so he will be gone.   It is my opinion the story of his career has not yet been written and he may yet surprise a lot of people.  

Lol, his last game? You mean when he came in the game cold with no prep?  So what were you saying when you saw Fitz play lousy against Cinn. and then totally stink up the joint against KC?  He can have bad games after a full preseason and training camp but Geno is not allowed to be rusty coming off the bench?  

You guys are amazing. 

You know, because tossing 2 TD's with a third being dropped by Marshall, completing 9 passes in a row before the 10th being dropped by Kerley, putting up a damn near 90 passer rating, averaging 17 yards per rush, completing 65% of his 42 pass attempts is just complete crap these days. 

It's indeed amazing. 

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

No you would find something else to bitch about.   How can he "play ball" when he is the back up??   The guy said he didn't owe IK any money but you don't believe him.  He could have had the guy arrested but took the high road instead but he gets nothing but sh*t from guys like you.  The fact that IK actually apologized also means nothing apparently.   A lot of young guys post dick pics; it is stupid but these are the time we live in.  I mean freaking Brett Farve did it and I guess that was okay.    He has done nothing to get the amount of ridicule and venom he gets from this place and it really makes me sick.  Just admit you hate the guy and move on.  The good news is that in a few months he will be gone and you can find a new whipping boy to focus on. 

He could earn the starting job if he could perform and be a leader on the field. Then maybe if he got the starting job, he could put up some good performances and get all the love from the fans.

I don't care whether he actually owed money or not - franchise quarterbacks don't get their teeth knocked out by a backup linebacker and if they did, I'm sure somebody might have his back.

Brett Favre was a household joke during those times, whether it was his retiring/unretiring, his crying, or his dick pics. Fortunately for him.. being a legendary, Superbowl winning, Hall of Famer overshadows those things. Geno has all of the drama and is a hall of shamer (hahahaha).

That isn't good news, it's great news. He has no place here, his career as a Jet was over after the punch. If he could accept his role as a backup he might be useful for another team.

17 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Lets use some facts and compare some performances. Geno Smith's performance was so terrible when he played the Raiders, lets see how his stats matches up against Fitz average for last year. 

Geno lone game last year 265 yards, 2/1 TD/INT ratio, 65% completion rate, 88 quarterback rating. 

Fitz average for the season. 244 yards, 2/1 TD/INT ratio, 60% completion rate, 88 quarterback rating. 

Nevermind the fact that Geno had no chemistry, no preseason, just came back from injury and hadn't played an NFL game for 11 months prior in order to hand in that performance. Im lost here JetBlue, maybe you understand it. 

Just now, Villain The Foe said:

If you discredit Geno's performance against the raiders he'd probably be flipping burgers at whatever fast food restaurant you guys have already said he'd be working in. 

I'm not making any swooping conclusions based on 3 quarters of football.

I don't think people are arguing that Geno is the long term answer, but he should have a shot over Ryan Fitzpatrick at this point.  

My main argument is, we know we're not going anywhere at all with Ryan Fitzpatrick.  We'll beat bad teams, lose to good teams, and spend the offseason wondering "What if" like ghosts of Bills fans past.  

Geno could fall flat on his face for all we know.  He could be better for all we know.  Either scenario is better than being middle of the pack.  I rather find out if Geno can play with a better group than see the same old show with Fitzpatrick.  I couldn't care less about either of them off the field, but I do care about the Jets going forward.  

I also don't get how a player gets punched out by some guy with recorded issues with anger in the past, and people celebrate it.  Even from the media story, Geno missed it for a funeral, and it's $600.  These guys spend more at a strip club in 10 mins, yet IK decided to punch out the QB and people are rejoicing?  People didn't defend him?  IK was released the next day I believe.  What do you want?  Revis and Marshall egg drive up to Buffalo and egg his house?  

Everyone loves how Marshall/Decker stepped up for Fitz, but people forget that Marshall was ga-ga over Geno in the offseason last year before he got injured? I think there was a story last year about Geno working out with Antonio Brown, OBJ, or some other top recievers, and half the comments dealt with making fun of Geno, saying they were practicing catching off-target throws.  

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

EXACTLY.

Time to move on.  Besides, Bryce Petty is really good looking and I like my New York Jets quarterbacks to be aspirational, handsome, and a good role model for my kids.

SAR I

Archived