Todd Bowles says no loss in confidence in Fitz

AFJF

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They'll compete. Play their hearts out. Ball just bounces the wrong way sometimes. The other guys get paid, too.

That's the one I've always hated from Bowles..."the other guys get paid too"....seriously?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

They'll compete. Play their hearts out. Ball just bounces the wrong way sometimes. The other guys get paid, too.

Between his blind loyalism to sh*t QBs and horrendous clock/situation management, Bowles is quickly becoming an awe shucks away from being Rex 2.0

44 minutes ago, win4ever said:

This blind faith in Fitz is mind-boggling to me.  At some point, they have to realize that he's just not that good, right?  

You can see he is trying too hard. He is making passes like he is trying to recapture last season. He simply is NOT letting the game come to him and the play calling still sucks a$$. On his last pass attempt (a pick by Sherman) Brandon Marshall was a yard past Sherman and the ball should have been thrown over the top, but Fitz (under no pressure) lets fly with a 'back shoulder' fastball that Sherman easily picks off because he is trailing. You can NEVER complete a back shoulder pass with the DB trailing. NEVER, but it is because he is trying too hard, he is making the wrong throws. He needs to STOP THINKING and just play. 

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Between his blind loyalism to sh*t QBs and horrendous clock/situation management, Bowles is quickly becoming an awe shucks away from being Rex 2.0

Not for anything but I think there comes a time where Woody has to hire a guy with previous Head Coaching experience. I'd settle for the Wisconsin coach for gods sakes.

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Not for anything but I think there comes a time where Woody has to hire a guy with previous Head Coaching experience. I'd settle for the Wisconsin coach for gods sakes.

One of the few common denominators that I can see, is defensive coaches not drafting offensive talent with their first rounder and putting to much priority on their defensive unit and "game-manager" QBs. When's the last time that the offense was the focal point of any discussion of our head-coach?  Our last few coaches agree that finding a QB is paramount, just make sure to do so in the later rounds so that our first can be used on a defensive lineman...

2 hours ago, shevys said:

They're not mutually exclusive, you know. Crappy inconsistent QB play can exist with crappy defense. Both have massively contributed to our losses this season. 

Agreed, but there is no reason to complain about our quarterback as he's a known, he's a given, we know that his ups/downs are the best we can do at that position this season.

But the defense?  Very different story.  They are an absolute disappointment, it's like they aren't even trying.  And the leaders?  Harris?  Revis?  Wilkerson?  They're punching the clock, no emotion, no leadership.

It's cool to be upset by both our QB play and our defense of course.  But only on D can you scratch your head and say "really?"

SAR I

2 hours ago, win4ever said:

This blind faith in Fitz is mind-boggling to me.  At some point, they have to realize that he's just not that good, right?  

I think we have some smart people in our front office and if you read between the lines it's pretty obvious what's going on.  Geno is that bad, Petty isn't ready, and Fitzpatrick is our only option.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm late to this thread because I just didn't feel like posting during or after that game, but this is not really an accurate way of retelling the story.

If you want to blame Jets for his bad stat of an interception, that goes both ways in that it was a Seattle player that let a sure pick 6 go right through both hands. Intellectually dishonest to say one shoulda-woulda-coulda play shouldn't count against him but another one should count in his favor.

He stinks. The downturn in his play is more along the lines of: the 2016 Seahawks aren't the 2015 Jaguars, the 2016 Chiefs aren't the 2015 Titans, and the 2016 Bengals aren't the injury-riddled 2015 Redskins.

I agree completely that he stinks against a quality defense.  Everyone knows this.  It's the byline on his career.  When we play a scrub, Fitzpatrick gets the job done just barely.  When we play an elite, it's lights-out.  We just played 3 playoff teams in 4 weeks, the #1, #2, and #3 defenses in the NFL last season.  We were Vegas underdogs in all 4 games.  We won 1 of them, predictably, against the scrub team.

Regarding Sunday, everyone is just swooning over the first interception as if that was the turning point of the game and it wasn't.  No matter how they got the ball, Seattle started a drive on their own 39 yard line in the 4th quarter and the Jets defense needed to assert themselves and come up with a big stop.  And instead, they allowed a hobbled Russell Wilson and a terrible OL to to 61 yards in under 2 minutes in 4 plays.  4 plays!  That's what cost us the game.

SAR I

49 minutes ago, phill1c said:

"Look up the definition of the word "mediocre"."

1 TD and NINE (9) INTs is NOT mediocre, it's PUTRID.

Stop with the 9 INT's already.  The KC game was an outlier, a once in a lifetime unmitigated disaster.  Look at the other games:

Bengals:  1 TD 1 INT - the INT comes on the last play of the game, Jets are down a score, 40 seconds left, desperation throw gets picked

Bills:  1 TD 0 INT - AFC Offensive Player Of The Week

Seattle:  1 TD 3 INT - 1 INT is off the hands of a WR who should have caught it, 1 INT is in garbage time trying to make something happen

Ignore the KC train wreck, Ryan Fitzpatrick has thrown 1 legit interception, picked off by an All Pro CB who read Chan Gailey's playcall perfectly and cut in front of Brandon Marshall.

This is why Ryan Fitzpatrick's job isn't in jeopardy.  He is playing well enough for us to win if our D generates some turnovers and our RB can do something.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Agreed, but there is no reason to complain about our quarterback as he's a known, he's a given, we know that his ups/downs are the best we can do at that position this season.

But the defense?  Very different story.  They are an absolute disappointment, it's like they aren't even trying.  And the leaders?  Harris?  Revis?  Wilkerson?  They're punching the clock, no emotion, no leadership.

It's cool to be upset by both our QB play and our defense of course.  But only on D can you scratch your head and say "really?"

SAR I

The Jets are 23rd in scoring, primarily because of Fitzpatrick's bad play.

We lose games because we can't score in the red zone. 

Fitzpatrick throws 9 interceptions. 

Totally the D's fault.

7 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

The Jets are 23rd in scoring, primarily because of Fitzpatrick's bad play.

We lose games because we can't score in the red zone. 

Fitzpatrick throws 9 interceptions. 

Totally the D's fault.

Bengals:  Fitzpatrick guides the Jets to a 4th quarter lead against a superior team.  With only 2 minutes to go, the defense gives up the lead on a poor drive and surrender the winning score. 

Bills:  Fitzpatrick has a career day, Jets pull off the road upset on national TV, our quarterback is AFC Offensive Player Of The Week.

Seahawks:  Fitzpatrick plays well for 3 quarters despite brutal field position, a secondary that gives up yardage in spades, and a RB who has disappeared.  His INT shouldn't be a killer, it's in Seattle territory, but no, the secondary allows a gimpy Russell Wilson to go 61 yards in 4 plays to seal the game.

If the D holds on against the Bengals, no one says a word about Fitzpatrick.  When we spanked the Bills, no one said a word about Fitzpatrick.  If the D does its job against a terrible Seattle OL we win a close game and no one says a word about Fitzpatrick.  You are focusing on the wrong guy and you are using dumb stats to defend a weak position, no different than your "but Miami!" position regarding Geno Smith.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Ex-Rex said:

You can see he is trying too hard. He is making passes like he is trying to recapture last season. He simply is NOT letting the game come to him and the play calling still sucks a$$. On his last pass attempt (a pick by Sherman) Brandon Marshall was a yard past Sherman and the ball should have been thrown over the top, but Fitz (under no pressure) lets fly with a 'back shoulder' fastball that Sherman easily picks off because he is trailing. You can NEVER complete a back shoulder pass with the DB trailing. NEVER, but it is because he is trying too hard, he is making the wrong throws. He needs to STOP THINKING and just play. 

I'm breaking down the film right now, Marshall is gone on that play.  He's wide open for a TD over the top, safety wasn't even near him, and Fitz decides to throw a low line drive right at Sherman.  

Fitz isn't a flow QB either, I think he's a system QB.  Any spread system can over-come bad defenses, because it's all about exploiting bad matchups for the defense.  It's mostly why spread systems first started to originate at smaller colleges, because it was a way for them to isolate matchups, because they couldn't go 11 vs. 11.  And it's also why some teams will absolute destroy lesser competition, and you look at their tape and go "How the heck does someone stop them?" and then you watch them against a top defense and they can't move the ball.  Against, good defenses, the QB has to make good progressions and have an arm that can make all the throws.  Fitz doesn't have that.  He can get up to the line and see where the matchups are in his favor, and lock into them.  Against bad defenses, our players will win those match-ups.  Against good defenses, our players won't win them all the time, so you have to adjust, and he can't do that.  The Seahawks played in the intermediate part of the field, if we wanted to take shots deep, we could have, but Fitz can't do it consistently.  

42 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I think we have some smart people in our front office and if you read between the lines it's pretty obvious what's going on.  Geno is that bad, Petty isn't ready, and Fitzpatrick is our only option.

SAR I

I find the lack of faith in Geno interesting because it doesn't make much sense for them to have this much faith in Fitz.  Heck, his old team Texans moved on from Fitz to noted malcontent Mallet when they got a shot.  From practice reports and pre-season games, I haven't found Fitz to stand out head and shoulders above Geno, so I just don't get it.  

How sad is it that the majority of commentary is about a guy who thrown more INTs than entire NFL divisions in the last TWO games and his backup, who apparently has annoyed the staff so much that he can't get a single snap?

meanwhile, the offense looks like utter SH!!!T

3 minutes ago, win4ever said:

I find the lack of faith in Geno interesting because it doesn't make much sense for them to have this much faith in Fitz.  Heck, his old team Texans moved on from Fitz to noted malcontent Mallet when they got a shot.  From practice reports and pre-season games, I haven't found Fitz to stand out head and shoulders above Geno, so I just don't get it.  

Myhero's don't like it when we play the penis card, the Twitter card, the suckerpunch card, the $600 card, the media boycott card, the Bleacher Report card, but these things matter in the NFL.  Especially the quarterback, especially with two young QB's on the roster, especially with the Rex Ryan Circus out of town, especially with a new GM and HC in charge.

I don't think it's a lack of faith in his ability as much as it's their lack of faith in his integrity.  In a rebuilding year, having a professional quarterback who acts like a responsible adult and leads by example in behavior and preparation is important, simple as that.

SAR I

54 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Bengals:  Fitzpatrick guides the Jets to a 4th quarter lead against a superior team.  With only 2 minutes to go, the defense gives up the lead on a poor drive and surrender the winning score. 

Bills:  Fitzpatrick has a career day, Jets pull off the road upset on national TV, our quarterback is AFC Offensive Player Of The Week.

Seahawks:  Fitzpatrick plays well for 3 quarters despite brutal field position, a secondary that gives up yardage in spades, and a RB who has disappeared.  His INT shouldn't be a killer, it's in Seattle territory, but no, the secondary allows a gimpy Russell Wilson to go 61 yards in 4 plays to seal the game.

If the D holds on against the Bengals, no one says a word about Fitzpatrick.  When we spanked the Bills, no one said a word about Fitzpatrick.  If the D does its job against a terrible Seattle OL we win a close game and no one says a word about Fitzpatrick.  You are focusing on the wrong guy and you are using dumb stats to defend a weak position, no different than your "but Miami!" position regarding Geno Smith.

SAR I

Sure, we should totally not focus on the guy who is playing historically bad. 

One of the worst offensive teams in the league? No problem.

The guy who has led the offense to only 13 points in 2 weeks? Who cares.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that the defense has underachieved. This defense should be one of the better ones in the league. But to say that Fitz doesn't deserve the lions share of blame is silly.

If Fitzpatrick was playing up to his usual mediocre standard, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, he's the worst starter in the NFL.

41 minutes ago, Kevin L said:

Sure, we should totally not focus on the guy who is playing historically bad. 

One of the worst offensive teams in the league? No problem.

The guy who has led the offense to only 13 points in 2 weeks? Who cares.

Look, I'll be the first to admit that the defense has underachieved. This defense should be one of the better ones in the league. But to say that Fitz doesn't deserve the lions share of blame is silly.

If Fitzpatrick was playing up to his usual mediocre standard, we wouldn't be having this conversation. Instead, he's the worst starter in the NFL.

The quarterback is bad, the defense is worse.  The focus of the conversation can be anywhere you'd like it to be but the only area of the team that can markedly improve is the defense as they are significantly under-performing.  Ryan Fitzpatrick is who we thought he would be, especially against elite teams.  His performance yesterday would have been sufficient to defeat the Browns, Titans, or Dolphins, but not Super Bowl candidates.  Anyone who thought the QB's on this roster were capable of that need their heads examined.

The inevitable 7-9 season assumed a 1-5 type open.  You shouldn't be surprised.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Why are people entertaining this post with serious responses? 

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

I agree completely that he stinks against a quality defense.  Everyone knows this.  It's the byline on his career.  When we play a scrub, Fitzpatrick gets the job done just barely.  When we play an elite, it's lights-out.  We just played 3 playoff teams in 4 weeks, the #1, #2, and #3 defenses in the NFL last season.  We were Vegas underdogs in all 4 games.  We won 1 of them, predictably, against the scrub team.

Regarding Sunday, everyone is just swooning over the first interception as if that was the turning point of the game and it wasn't.  No matter how they got the ball, Seattle started a drive on their own 39 yard line in the 4th quarter and the Jets defense needed to assert themselves and come up with a big stop.  And instead, they allowed a hobbled Russell Wilson and a terrible OL to to 61 yards in under 2 minutes in 4 plays.  4 plays!  That's what cost us the game.

SAR I

I don't think 1 interception cost the team the game at all; that would render Bowles blameless for everything other than pulling Fitzpatrick off the field, as well as absolve both coordinators and all players. It's ridiculous. 

However sometimes one must get past the defensive rankings of the other teams. Sometimes one does look at it, as they just pressure the QB all day long and nobody's open (or more correctly, nobody's open by the time pressure engulfs the QB or flushes him to his left and the only open receiver is going down the right sideline). This isn't what happened. There were plenty of opportunities and he was both too gun shy and (as always) too blind. It took all season last year plus all offseason this year for so many Jets fans to finally start to see that the man locks in on one downfield target and abandons looking to another one even if he's covered and the OL is providing him with a clean, comfy pocket. 

The number of fumbles and interceptions, plus passes thrown right into coverage in general (whether picked off or merely incomplete), particularly with the resources at his disposal, is staggering. And for all the scoffing at it all last year, we're all witnessing the reason why a "stat" like dropped interceptions is not something to be ignored. It's because it's indicative of the types of passes he's throwing; it's no credit to the QB that a defender lets a sure interception pass right through his hands.

It isn't merely that he doesn't have an elite arm, or even a good arm. It's that he's a f*cking moron once the ball is snapped. But then, we're the Jets and we attract such QBs to the point one has to wonder if our past/present FO and CS thinks stupid QBs are required to get to the superbowl. 

9 hours ago, win4ever said:

So speculate, what do you think the reason is then?

20 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So speculate, what do you think the reason is then?

it's b/c of what fitz did last year. bowles said so, fitz has 'earned it'.  they're going to use fitz until they're out of the playoffs, their answer to get to the playoffs does not include geno.  when they ultimately decide they're in full rebuild it will be with their draft picks.  mccags clearly believes he will be here for a while, given he's drafted 2 qbs who need more time to develop than perhaps typical college qbs.  

I love when people want the HC or GM to come out and say "I don't have a lot of confidence in my QB".

It was like when Idzik gave that PC after the NE game in 2014 and people wanted him to basically say "Geno sucks, my HC sucks and is going to get fired after the season is over"

These guys aren't going to say those things when they have to work with the players everyday. We don't totally know what their thought process is.

I'm sure the Jets will make a move at QB if the season spirals out of control. And by spiral out of control I don't mean starting 1-3. I get it, Fitz isn't very good. But he's not just going to throw in another QB yet. They are going to see if they can fix this first.

37 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think 1 interception cost the team the game at all; that would render Bowles blameless for everything other than pulling Fitzpatrick off the field, as well as absolve both coordinators and all players. It's ridiculous. 

However sometimes one must get past the defensive rankings of the other teams. Sometimes one does look at it, as they just pressure the QB all day long and nobody's open (or more correctly, nobody's open by the time pressure engulfs the QB or flushes him to his left and the only open receiver is going down the right sideline). This isn't what happened. There were plenty of opportunities and he was both too gun shy and (as always) too blind. It took all season last year plus all offseason this year for so many Jets fans to finally start to see that the man locks in on one downfield target and abandons looking to another one even if he's covered and the OL is providing him with a clean, comfy pocket. 

The number of fumbles and interceptions, plus passes thrown right into coverage in general (whether picked off or merely incomplete), particularly with the resources at his disposal, is staggering. And for all the scoffing at it all last year, we're all witnessing the reason why a "stat" like dropped interceptions is not something to be ignored. It's because it's indicative of the types of passes he's throwing; it's no credit to the QB that a defender lets a sure interception pass right through his hands.

It isn't merely that he doesn't have an elite arm, or even a good arm. It's that he's a f*cking moron once the ball is snapped. But then, we're the Jets and we attract such QBs to the point one has to wonder if our past/present FO and CS thinks stupid QBs are required to get to the superbowl. 

Good post, agree with it, but unfortunately this is what happens when you let Rex Ryan fester for 3 worthless years and let John Idzik destroy the roster for 2 worthless years while banking on a guy who fell from the first round like a rock to be your savior.

I am no Ryan Fitzpatrick fan but he's the best we have this season and whining about it and pointing the finger at it accomplishes nothing.  Ryan Fitzpatrick could play at the Bills level all year and lose every game to elite competition, it's who he is.  He's turning 34 next month and is a lousy journeyman.

The defense is our problem.  Fitzpatrick, foibles and all, could game manage enough to win games if the D would get him some field position, get some turnovers, do something other than letting WR's blow past them for 30 yards each touch.

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Good post, agree with it, but unfortunately this is what happens when you let Rex Ryan fester for 3 worthless years and let John Idzik destroy the roster for 2 worthless years while banking on a guy who fell from the first round like a rock to be your savior.

I am no Ryan Fitzpatrick fan but he's the best we have this season and whining about it and pointing the finger at it accomplishes nothing.  Ryan Fitzpatrick could play at the Bills level all year and lose every game to elite competition, it's who he is.  He's turning 34 next month and is a lousy journeyman.

The defense is our problem.  Fitzpatrick, foibles and all, could game manage enough to win games if the D would get him some field position, get some turnovers, do something other than letting WR's blow past them for 30 yards each touch.

SAR I

they're all problems, the difference is the expectation.  we all expected the defense to be good, but assumed fitz would be up and down as he's been his whole career.

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Because if you take the KC disaster out of the mix as the outlier, Ryan Fitzpatrick is playing as we would have expected.

SAR I

There is no outlier, he's been bad in 3 of the 4 games he's played this season. 

20 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Guess what -- Hackenberg fell from the first round like a rock and he was picked to be our savior by this GM and HC. 

Also it's a guess that he's the best we have this season when he's all we've seen. If/when Petty comes in and doesn't commit multiple turnovers every time we play a tough matchup, then it seems Fitzpatrick was not the best chance to win. It's just that he's the only one this coaching staff or FO would put onto the field.

35 minutes ago, August said:

There is no outlier, he's been bad in 3 of the 4 games he's played this season. 

I beg to differ.  KC was a disaster, no need to discuss, worst performance by a Jets QB since Geno Smith circa 2014.

Cincinnati, Buffalo, Seattle, I saw the same guy but vastly different opponent talent levels.

Buffalo:  Lousy secondary, he crushed it.
Bengals:  Average secondary, he had a lead deep in the 4th quarter.
Seahawks:  Elite secondary, he played well through the 3rd quarter.

Look at those games this year, look at his games last year, he's always 20 for 36 with 250 yards with 1 TD and 1 INT, the difference is we don't play with a lead, elite teams are simply better offensively and defensively, and so we take big risks in the 4th quarter when trailing and he throws an additional INT or two in garbage time.

Fitzpatrick is the same guy as last year who got us to 10 wins.  The difference is we are playing better teams who can stop our RB and blow apart our D.  We knew Fitzpatrick wasn't going to turn into Joe Montana and we knew we had the hardest schedule in the NFL.  Why you are surprised that we are 1-3 I have no idea.

SAR I

Archived