JETS; underacheiving Def, overpaid QB, overrated offense.

Paradis

Is the phase of the game we're doing anything RIGHT in? Special Teams maybe? 

Macc & Bowles have a major issue that goes beyond Xs and Os in my opinion. We've seen teams get more from less. This team can't play 4 quarters of football, and fail to execute on both sides of the ball. They're the anti-thesis to the SEA -- a team Carroll has playing to the whistle. The entire culture there is competition and execution. He's rotated through overhyped DCs and continue to play consistent football.

How do we not pin this on the brass? 

The D is getting strafed weekly. Revis has tightened things up for now. It is clearly the S play of Pryor and the isolation play of Harris. That WR screen should be under control by now.  Those picks have also made for short playing fields at times.

The offensive skill talent is still pretty good -- better than we've had in years anyway.

The QB is a below average journeyman who won't be here next year. But yeah, he sucks and has been flat out killing the team. The offensive line has been bad too. Zero push or holes in the running game.

We're strong on the defensive line but still lack an edge rusher and the coverage has been flat out attrocious.

So yeah, we have some good WRs and a good D-line. Other than that, lots of issues.

Mac get some blame as well.  He drafted this year as if we needed that one last piece of the puzzle on D and had a great QB so that we could take a flyer on a super long shot QB in the 2nd.  We draft a guy in Lee who should be one of two ilbs in a the good old 3-4 and suddenly we are playing a 4-3 most of the time it seems, also all of this 4-3 play means mauldin is a lost cause. 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Mac get some blame as well.  He drafted this year as if we needed that one last piece of the puzzle on D and had a great QB so that we could take a flyer on a super long shot QB in the 2nd.  We draft a guy in Lee who should be one of two ilbs in a the good old 3-4 and suddenly we are playing a 4-3 most of the time it seems, also all of this 4-3 play means mauldin is a lost cause. 

It's hard to tell if his plan really sucks, or if he doesn't have a plan at all.

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Is the phase of the game we're doing anything RIGHT in? Special Teams maybe? 

Macc & Bowles have a major issue that goes beyond Xs and Os in my opinion. We've seen teams get more from less. This team can't play 4 quarters of football, and fail to execute on both sides of the ball. They're the anti-thesis to the SEA -- a team Carroll has playing to the whistle. The entire culture there is competition and execution. He's rotated through overhyped DCs and continue to play consistent football.

How do we not pin this on the brass? 

All those failed draft picks from the Idzik era have been a problem.

Last year was a ton of fun, up until week 17. Fact of the matter is, our future is no better than it was back in 2009; any position that matters we're either old or not good, with no young talent waiting on the bench to take over.  Again, none of that matters, because we've been waiting for a QB for decades and in today's NFL, until you find that, the only thing you'll ever have is a good season here or there, with no sustained success.  I mean f*ck, even Blaine Gabbert is playing better than anyone our franchise has...

2 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Last year was a ton of fun, up until week 17. Fact of the matter is, our future is no better than it was back in 2009; any position that matters we're either old or not good, with no young talent waiting on the bench to take over.  Again, none of that matters, because we've been waiting for a QB for decades and in today's NFL, until you find that, the only thing you'll ever have is a good season here or there, with no sustained success.  I mean f*ck, even Blaine Gabbert is playing better than anyone our franchise has...

Fun playing a weak schedule and beating up on crummy teams 

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

True, but at least he didnt compound it by spending like a moron in FA. Maccagnan's draft picks look just as bad.

It's too early to judge Mac's picks. But he did spend on free agents. They looked ok last year, but not so far this year. This team needs at least 1 more draft.

1 minute ago, Ken Shroy said:

It's too early to judge Mac's picks. But he did spend on free agents. They looked ok last year, but not so far this year. This team needs at least 1 more draft.

I dont think it's ever too early, especially for guys who cant get on the field. Devin Smith, Mauldin, Petty all dont play. Jarvis Harrison was already cut.

This team has no identity right now, they have enough talent on both sides to be in the middle of the pack but let's be honest last year's team was the same. The cream puff schedule was the only reason this team was anywhere close to the playoffs and was never a serious contender

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think it's ever too early, especially for guys who cant get on the field. Devin Smith, Mauldin, Petty all dont play. Jarvis Harrison was already cut.

And Hackenberg is one of the worst draft picks in Jets history. Looking forward to Lynch turning into Roethlisberger 2.0.

5 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

And Hackenberg is one of the worst draft picks in Jets history. Looking forward to Lynch turning into Roethlisberger 2.0.

Hack being picked any selection earlier than the 6th round, is laughably bad. It's a good thing our savior is a 4th round goob who is currently unable to throw a football.  

Sidenote: anyone see the commercials for Birth of a Nation? A movie based in the mid 1800s using Black Lives Matter as a marketing ploy? That should be solid for current American race relations. 

4 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Have you seen the jets other second round picks from the last 10 years? Or do you just like bitching about Hackenberg

1 minute ago, cant wait said:

Have you seen the jets other second round picks from the last 10 years? Or do you just like bitching about Hackenberg

I think it's the fact that Lynch was on the board when we chose an inside linebacker.  Lee is going to be very good, but again, have zero impact on the future of our franchise. It's 2016, you draft a QB, not an inside linebacker in the first round. If there's even an inkling that the QB can be a franchise guy, you pull the trigger. Normally I'd give the GM the benefit of the doubt that he sees nothing in Lynch, but his selection of Hack in the second round shows me that he doesn't deserve that benefit. Like even a little. 

None of this is Idzik's fault.  The roster was very lacking but Macc used all the cap space and two drafts to overcome that.  On paper, this is a very strong roster, too to bottom.  No question.  

Problem is that the schedule is brutal so when BMarshall runs the wrong route or cuts off the wrong foot, or when Williams has a busted coverage, or Pryor is in coverage anywhere,good teams take advantage.  When you play crappy teams, they either can't take advantage of these flaws or the Jets still win which helps mask everything.

Even the most optimistic fan knew starting out 1-5 was possible.  I hope Woody is patient, we won't be a legit SB contender until we either has a franchise QB or perfect EVERYTHING else.

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I think it's the fact that Lynch was on the board when we chose an inside linebacker.  Lee is going to be very good, but again, have zero impact on the future of our franchise. It's 2016, you draft a QB, not an inside linebacker in the first round. If there's even an inkling that the QB can be a franchise guy, you pull the trigger. Normally I'd give the GM the benefit of the doubt that he sees nothing in Lynch, but his selection of Hack in the second round shows me that he doesn't deserve that benefit. Like even a little. 

I think it's more the fact that they needed to add a starter with their first pick and didn't think lynch was going to be ready to play. If you're going to draft a guy with the intention of sitting him a year it's a lot less risky to do it with a 2nd

4 minutes ago, cant wait said:

I think it's more the fact that they needed to add a starter with their first pick and didn't think lynch was going to be ready to play. If you're going to draft a guy with the intention of sitting him a year it's a lot less risky to do it with a 2nd

If that's their thinking, then they're f*cking morons and deserve to be booted.  You never pass on a possible franchise QB, ever. There's literally no reason to ever do so. If they believed that Lynch could have been one, but passed because he wasn't a plug-n-play guy, then I hope they lose their jobs and their toilets get clogged and their house smells like sh*t, but because they lost their jobs, they have to live in a house that smells like sh*t. And even when they clean it, it just smells like sh*t, with a hint of lemon. 

3 minutes ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

If that's their thinking, then they're f*cking morons and deserve to be booted.  You never pass on a possible franchise QB, ever. There's literally no reason to ever do so. If they believed that Lynch could have been one, but passed because he wasn't a plug-n-play guy, then I hope they lose their jobs and their toilets get clogged and their house smells like sh*t, but because they lost their jobs, they have to live in a house that smells like sh*t. And even when they clean it, it just smells like sh*t, with a hint of lemon. 

Well obviously yeah, but you'd have to think that if they thought he needed a year on the bench that they must have had doubts that he could be a franchise guy. A better prospect than hack for sure but definitely still a risk. The team can't afford to whiff on a first rounder especially a QB, you really have to be all-in on your guy if that's your pick. Spending a 2 on hack isn't going to keep this team from taking a QB they like next year or even making a trade for a vet

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Kacey Rodgers SUCKS 

Image result for jets defensive coordinator

I really honestly believe this is our biggest problem we have on our defensive side of the ball. We have so much talent on the defense and when we make adjustments to fix up the weak spots they always seem to be the wrong adjustments. This guy is a friend of Bowles but it is time for Bowles to cut him loose or like Marshall said about Fitz he is going to sink with him.

1 minute ago, bealeb319 said:

I really honestly believe this is our biggest problem we have on our defensive side of the ball. We have so much talent on the defense and when we make adjustments to fix up the weak spots they always seem to be the wrong adjustments. This guy is a friend of Bowles but it is time for Bowles to cut him loose or like Marshall said about Fitz he is going to sink with him.

The defense isnt that talented. There's only so much interior linemen can do.

2 minutes ago, cant wait said:

Well obviously yeah, but you'd have to think that if they thought he needed a year on the bench that they must have had doubts that he could be a franchise guy. A better prospect than hack for sure but definitely still a risk. The team can't afford to whiff on a first rounder especially a QB, you really have to be all-in on your guy if that's your pick. Spending a 2 on hack isn't going to keep this team from taking a QB they like next year or even making a trade for a vet

You have to be all-in with the 20th pick, but at 54 or wherever Hack was selected, it's okay to have him as a fourth-stringer behind a cast of nobodies? Gotcha

Archived