"Todd Bowles did not want Paxton Lynch"- Adam Schein on Sirius

Matt39

12 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And then there was a rumor right after the draft that said Jets had a low grade on Paxton.  I know that doesn't fit the "Fire Everyone" party going on right now, but I guess that's what happens when you're selective about what you want to hear.

That's fine, perfectly fine this is where these guys are paid and keep their jobs to be right.  Funny that they didn;t want to take a shot at a risky 1st round Qb but jumped with  both feet in on a guy even riskier one round later.

MacCagnan will be judged to a great extent on Lynch vs Hackenburg, like it or not.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I'm tired of hearing about ******* Paxton Lynch. The guy was drafted at the end of the first round. And yet Jets fans are treating this guy like the ******* maharajah.

If he was here, and struggling. All of you would be saying the same thing. "They wasted a first round pick on his shrub"

LOL if he was here and playing like a shrubbery you would be blasting anyone that said a bad word about him and defending 'the rebuild. '

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Just said it fwiw and had several sources confirm he was the guy hat persuaded he Jets not to go QB there. Great.

There is no confirmation just rumors.. It is Mac who makes that final decision. And he liked Hack. It's good if he listens to Bowles and respects his judgment esp on a fast linebacker. I mean the rumors were that Terry Bradway fought with the FO to draft Russell Wilson. Now don't you wish they had listened to him. And what happened to him: he got fired, anyways. The Jets have drafted more Qbs than just about anyone. Let's hope the two we drafted recently one of them ends up being a good Qb. Lynch played ok yesterday in mostly garbage time. Hack looked good in his first exhibition game bad in his second. 

27 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Basically Macc has boxed himself into a corner with the Petty/Hack picks.  If neither of them work out, considering the other QB's he COULD have selected, he needs to be gone.  It's not even a question.  You don't take both of those guys without the expectation that one would emerge as our starter. 

And Bowles, of course, would go with him. 

At this point, it's just a huge cluster wtf scenario.

27 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it is reasonable to think however Fitz is not an average QB and even the Jets know that. The Average QB salary is about 16 million per year. Fitz is being paid as a below average QB and he's losing to playoff teams. That's not all that surprising. 

As for "building toward something" that's also not verifiable. Wasnt too long ago the Jets thought they were building toward something with Sanchez and Geno. It might feel better to have a young guy getting experience but it's not proven to be a better path.  

Disagree on everything you've said in this post because it's wrong. This team announced him the starter in Jan and let him hold them hostage for an entire offseason.   They didnt know they were getting this, not one bit.  Which is scary as hell because it was so plainly obvious.  It's one thing for fans not to see it but its another for CS/FO not to get it. 

You're not building anything by getting 4 wins with a sh*tty journeyman QB.  That is 100% verifiable.  Which is the entire point...at least if you're playing the kids you're working toward them being a legitimate long term option or you know you have to keep looking and working toward that.  Starting Fitz keeps you from that which has been my contention since the day IK broke Geno's jaw but I digress.  Here we are, proper ****ed not getting a look at anyone and digging the stick deeper into the mud. 

After 12 years in the league, Fitz has proven anyone is a better path and Jets are morons for not seeing that.

23 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Almost the exact same thing as taking Calvin Pryor in the first round.

/////Projectile vomits on screen

Just now, Beerfish said:

LOL if he was here and playing like a shrubbery you would be blasting anyone that said a bad word about him and defending 'the rebuild. '

Because all of you wanted him and then would want to throw him out.

Mike Maccagnan has been the best GM the Jets have had in a long time and you guys want to throw him out of town over ******* Paxton Lynch, a QB who many teams could have taken, but passed on too.

Cleveland passed on him for gods sakes. CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's some truth to this. Bowles did not want Lynch, but neither did Maccagnan.

I remember after the draft, it was reported that the Jets viewed Goff & Hackenberg as the Top QBs in the draft. They tried to make a move for Goff, but once that didn't happen they quickly turned their attention to Hack.

The Jets never had any real interest in Lynch. They had a 3rd round grade on him, and there's no way he was lasting that long. He was never gonna be a Jet

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Back to the Rex Ryan years of the coach dictating how drafts go?  If that is the case don't fire Bowles fire macacagnan.  Most coaches should have very little input into drafting at all, I'd kick their asses out of the draft process if it was me.

Ryan drafted a QB in the first, and then another in the 2nd.   The both just didn't work.

2 minutes ago, King P said:

There's some truth to this. Bowles did not want Lynch, but neither did Maccagnan.

I remember after the draft, it was reported that the Jets viewed Goff & Hackenberg as the Top QBs in the draft. They tried to make a move for Goff, but once that didn't happen they quickly turned their attention to Hack.

The Jets never had any real interest in Lynch. They had a 3rd round grade on him, and there's no way he was lasting that long. He was never gonna be a Jet

BINGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 minutes ago, King P said:

Well that just makes me feel all tingly inside. Then again, Mac came from Houston. What did we really expect?

55 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Dak Prescott is 100x better than Ryan Fitzpatrick he has not turned the ball over once this season.

And he is an exception.  More often than not a quarterback needs to sit for at least a season to go on to be a consistent performer.  

7 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

not like they did, Rex has TWO losing seasons in his 7 years as HC.  One where they were biting the bullet in 2012 and couldn't really u[pgrade(then lost their best O and D players early in the season) and another year where he was sabotaged by his inept GM.  Other than that he hasn't had another losing season.  Bill Belichick through 7 seasons had 5 losing seasons.

Rex Ryan didn't do a good job coaching the Bills last year. Players were openly complaining about him and the BUFF press thinks he's FOS (which he is). He lost in four straight years with the Jets and was a major part of that. You could say he inherited good players in 2009 (and was lucky to get into the playoffs with just nine wins-they backed in) and also in 2010. But you have to give him credit for 4 playoff Ws which he will be living off of that the rest of his coaching career. I'd be surprised if he survives this season and predict he'll end up in the SEC in one of the lower programs (which will be his excuse for losing). 

2 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Ryan drafted a QB in the first, and then another in the 2nd.   The both just didn't work.

I never said Rex was anti QB at all, players that Rex had a big influence in picking, (his annual choice) sucked.  The Sanchez move was a good one, I never like Sanchez from day one but they did and the trade up was brilliant.  It would have been far better for that team under Rex to have a steady vet Qb than a rookie though.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

I never said Rex was anti QB at all, players that Rex had a big influence in picking, (his annual choice) sucked.  The Sanchez move was a good one, I never like Sanchez from day one but they did and the trade up was brilliant.  It would have been far better for that team under Rex to have a steady vet Qb than a rookie though.

Rex handled them poorly.   They drafted a kid with 16 career college starts, and make him a day 1 starter.   Then they draft a project in the 2nd, ruin their started at the end of the Snoopy Bowl, and throw him out there with nothing around him. 

The trade up was a steal, a 1 and a 2 and 3 scrubs for the #5.

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Rex Ryan didn't do a good job coaching the Bills last year. Players were openly complaining about him and the BUFF press thinks he's FOS (which he is). He lost in four straight years with the Jets and was a major part of that. You could say he inherited good players in 2009 (and was lucky to get into the playoffs with just nine wins-they backed in) and also in 2010. But you have to give him credit for 4 playoff Ws which he will be living off of that the rest of his coaching career. I'd be surprised if he survives this season and predict he'll end up in the SEC in one of the lower programs (which will be his excuse for losing). 

mostly one player, that overrated player is gone and is underachieving for another team.

rex is light years better than Bowles.  I get it people would prefer Bowles' low key approach but half the time  don't know if the man is asleep or not.

you think he'll be coaching at a lower rung SEC school?  what?:lol:

12 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Because all of you wanted him and then would want to throw him out.

Mike Maccagnan has been the best GM the Jets have had in a long time and you guys want to throw him out of town over ******* Paxton Lynch, a QB who many teams could have taken, but passed on too.

Cleveland passed on him for gods sakes. CLEVELAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cleveland, I take it you think we should emulate them..... I mean if Cleveland passes on a guy....... Name the following QB:

64.7% 769Yrds 7.54/attempt 73long  5td 0int 103.8rating

Yeah Cleveland passed on him too. He could bomb the rest of the season but right now cleveland looks pretty ******* stupid. Which is par for the course regarding cleveland. 

Also there is a huge difference between Fitz sucking and a rookie qb.

4 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

WTH are you talking about?

Is it really that hard to follow?  Goff has looked like dogsh*t, and Houston has never been able to develop a QB. They finally overspent for Brock Osweiller after playing the journeyman shuffle for years.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

You're not building anything by getting 4 wins with a sh*tty journeyman QB.  That is 100% verifiable.  Which is the entire point...at least if you're playing the kids you're working toward them being a legitimate long term option or you know you have to keep looking and working toward that.  Starting Fitz keeps you from that which has been my contention since the day IK broke Geno's jaw but I digress.  Here we are, proper ****ed not getting a look at anyone and digging the stick deeper into the mud. 

I don't find same cold comfort in losses knowing that the team "checked someone out"  they see Geno  in practice every day if he was good they'd play him. The money given to fitz sounds huge but it actually is small potatoes for a QB. they could bench him if there were a better option. 

If this is true, and that's a big if,

I could care less about the player, but more about how Maccagnan (again if this is true) bent over for Todd. The gm should listen to those around him but have final say no matter what.

1 minute ago, King P said:

I think he's referring to Hackenberg and how Bill O'Brien's love for Hack probably rubbed off on him

Well he was part of a front office that drafted a previous Hackenburg, that being Tom Savage, who is in the where are they now file. (3rd string on Houston still?)

Savage like Hack had problems in college that affected his development as he transferred around a lot.  also had a big arm, also was supposidley smart  guy, at least they drafted him in the 4th round.  They are almost exactly the same size as well.

17 minutes ago, King P said:

I would imagine that Maccagnan being around Bill O'Brien in Houston had a lot to do with it. If Bowles didn't want Lynch, there's no reason to think he'd want Hackenberg, either. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

mostly one player, that overrated player is gone and is underachieving for another team.

rex is light years better than Bowles.  I get it people would prefer Bowles' low key approach but half the time  don't know if the man is asleep or not.

you think he'll be coaching at a lower rung SEC school?  what?:lol:

No it wasn't just one player. Light years. He wasn't a few weeks ago. He almost got fired after that game. I give him credit though for getting his team together. I felt even before this season that they had enough talent to compete for a playoff spot. Player talent that is not coaching talent. As for Bowles he hasn't had six years yet to be bad. He won't get it like Rex did either but neither will Rex in Buff. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Always an excuse or an exception blah blah 

Joewilly, I know patience is hard to come by but give the kid an opportunity.  I am very happy that we finally decided to let a quarterback sit and learn rather than throw them to the wolves.  You prefer they had drafted Lynch, fine; I still would have wanted him to sit to start the season.  History shows that most of the top quarterbacks in the league needed at least a few games if a not an entire season on the sidelines.   Also if Petty had not gotten hurt, odds are he would pressuring Bowles to get the start soon so all is not lost in terms of quarterback talent on the team.  

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Lynch,Prescott,Brissett all 10x better than Fitz just saying.......

that my friend is not hard to do but to criticize Bowles for not wanting Lynch when he hasn't proven a damn thing in the league yet is stupid.  

2 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Joewilly, I know patience is hard to come by but give the kid an opportunity.  I am very happy that we finally decided to let a quarterback sit and learn rather than throw them to the wolves.  You prefer they had drafted Lynch, fine; I still would have wanted him to sit to start the season.  History shows that most of the top quarterbacks in the league needed at least a few games if a not an entire season on the sidelines.   Also if Petty had not gotten hurt, odds are he would pressuring Bowles to get the start soon so all is not lost in terms of quarterback talent on the team.  

The QB situation is nothing new here is my point.  Year after year its the same damn excuses. 

2 minutes ago, BallinPB said:

that my friend is not hard to do but to criticize Bowles for not wanting Lynch when he hasn't proven a damn thing in the league yet is stupid.  

He deserves all the criticism he's getting for the Jets drafting Lee at that spot when we needed a QB 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The QB situation is nothing new here is my point.  Year after year its the same damn excuses. 

Well I understand your frustration but Mac has been here for two years and have drafted two quarterbacks in that time that both show promise to me.  I am just pissed that Petty got hurt in a meaningless preseason game.  

Archived