Props to Brandon Marshall

Clueless Owner

Ever since Brandon Marshall has gotten here, he seems like he's been a leader on and off the field.  He was super-productive last year.  He's the most outspoken Jet, and he showed some leadership in that Chiefs game, when he huddled everyone around him to try to keep everyone together (it was after the Jalin Marshall return fumble).  He's the most outspoken Jet by far.  Yes he drops some passes here and there, but what receiver doesn't once in a while, everyone is human.  He was a history of being a malcontent and having his Borderline Personality Disorder, but so far, he has seemed like a model professional.

But that Borderline Personality Order has me wondering.  He's stated that his wish is to play in the playoffs, as he hasn't in his career.  Being 1-4 with a less than 1 in 10 statistical chance of making the playoffs... while he has been courageous and admirable putting on a happy face in public... I do sort of wonder what is going on in his mind.  I commend him for the persona he has been putting on in public.. but I wonder if he might snap.  I don't say I worry about it because I have nothing to do with the team and don't know him personally.. but as an outsider, I just wonder what is going on.  As a human, I do hope the best for him.  The trade deadline is November 1st.  If the Jets, say, were to lose the next 2 games, would Macc try to move him in a trade to a contender?  Personally, I would want to do it for Brandon Marshall's sake, because I appreciate the way he has carried himself, and for the Jets, it might help them with cap space next year and maybe get some late pick.  A lot of decisions have to be made by Macc on a day-today basis.  What do you think?

Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.comBy Darryl Slater | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com 
Email the author | Follow on Twitter 
on October 12, 2016 at 5:09 PM, updated October 12, 2016 at 5:23 PM

FLORHAM PARK — The Jets might be 1-4. They might have just put wide receiver Eric Decker (shoulder) on season-ending injured reserve. But receiver Brandon Marshall isn't giving up hope for their season. 

Marshall had motivational gray T-shirts — with "DUE SEASON" printed on them — made for the entire team. Several players, including Marshall, wore the shirts in the locker room Wednesday. Other players had the shirts hanging in their lockers.

These T-shirts were everywhere in the Jets' locker room Wednesday, impossible to miss. Marshall initially hesitated to explain what the phrase "due season" means to him, but he eventually opened up. (The phrase also has been his Twitter name for several months.) 

"Every year, I pick a term for the year," Marshall said. "Last year was the year of Juugo. My dog passed away. His name was Juugo. Juugo is 15 in Japanese. My wife is part Japanese, and I'm 15, so that's how we came up with the name Juugo. And it was 2015. So that year was in honor of him. 

"This year, it's due season. Due season meaning it's time. You can never grow weary or grow weak of doing the right things. Because in time, you will reap a harvest. It's due season.

"So for this year, I'm just praying over my family, for there to be breakthroughs in my family, our marriage. So that's off-the-field things, like really believing that our family will be healthy and overcome some of the cycles that we've been in, generational curses.

"And on the football field, I've been in the league for 10 years and never made the playoffs. I haven't really had the success I wanted to have. And it's due season. It's due. I believe when you put in the work, you will reap a harvest.

Jets' 2016 game-by-game picks

Jets' 2016 game-by-game picks

Will the Jets make the playoffs?

"The game always pays respects in that regard. If you put in the work, it will always treat you good. I still believe that. Sitting at 1-4, I still believe it's due season. Absolutely believe there's still hope. So that's what that means. Due season, baby." 

(Marshall's comments about reaping a harvest were paraphrasing a Bible verse — Galatians 6:9.) 

This isn't the first time Marshall distributed motivational T-shirts to teammates. Two years ago, in his rocky final season with the Bears, he handed out "No Noise" shirts. The Bears went 5-11 that year — a fate Marshall hopes to avoid in 2016 with the Jets. 

After the Jets lost Sunday in Pittsburgh, Marshall held an exceedingly positive media session, during which he used the phrase "due season." Marshall exuded optimism again Monday. On Wednesday, Marshall tripled down on his assertion that the Jets' season isn't over, despite this slow start. 

After Wednesday's media session, Marshall took to Instagram and wrote this about "due season": 

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 7:10 PM, Clueless Owner said:

Ever since Brandon Marshall has gotten here, he seems like he's been a leader on and off the field.  He was super-productive last year.  He's the most outspoken Jet, and he showed some leadership in that Chiefs game, when he huddled everyone around him to try to keep everyone together (it was after the Jalin Marshall return fumble).  He's the most outspoken Jet by far.  Yes he drops some passes here and there, but what receiver doesn't once in a while, everyone is human.  He was a history of being a malcontent and having his Borderline Personality Disorder, but so far, he has seemed like a model professional.

But that Borderline Personality Order has me wondering.  He's stated that his wish is to play in the playoffs, as he hasn't in his career.  Being 1-4 with a less than 1 in 10 statistical chance of making the playoffs... while he has been courageous and admirable putting on a happy face in public... I do sort of wonder what is going on in his mind.  I commend him for the persona he has been putting on in public.. but I wonder if he might snap.  I don't say I worry about it because I have nothing to do with the team and don't know him personally.. but as an outsider, I just wonder what is going on.  As a human, I do hope the best for him.  The trade deadline is November 1st.  If the Jets, say, were to lose the next 2 games, would Macc try to move him in a trade to a contender?  Personally, I would want to do it for Brandon Marshall's sake, because I appreciate the way he has carried himself, and for the Jets, it might help them with cap space next year and maybe get some late pick.  A lot of decisions have to be made by Macc on a day-today basis.  What do you think?

That's very nice of you!

While I agree Marshall has been all the good things you say, I ask this question: Is it the Jets' "prime directive" to reward a good player or to win games?

I thought so.

Archived