Revis can actually be cut with almost no cap hit, article

Barkus

6 minutes ago, Barkus said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/will_jets_cut_darrelle_revis_after_2016_heres_why.html

if jets cut Revis there is 6million cap hit BUT there is offset language. So if Revis signs elsewhere that money would be subtracted off the cap hit. Good article, jets will have options with mevis, not as dire as we thought.

I mentioned this in a thread a week ago and got ridiculed for "defending the contract".

Kek.

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I mentioned this in a thread a week ago and got ridiculed for "defending the contract".

Kek.

Missed that but it is a well structured contract. Obviously overpaid in first 2yrs but will not wreck the cap. I think macc did similar thing for mo. 

This is only meaningful if someone else wants Revis for well over $6M for 2017. Otherwise we'll see the same thing we saw with Faneca: he'll sign elsewhere for the veteran minimum and will still collect almost all of the guaranteed amount from the Jets. 

Why would anyone pay him over $1M if the Jets are on the hook for so much? It's the same money to Revis whether someone else offers him $1M or $6M. This offset language only matters if Revis would still command a good amount more than $6M per year, which is pretty unlikely. 

Even if Revis would command $7M next year, which he won't, what would likely happen is he signs for the vet minimum ($1M) for 2017 and then gets a guaranteed bonus for the other $6M in 2018 (on top of any 2018 salary, which could be fluff or not). Then he'd collect $7M from his new team and $5M from the Jets. Or something like that.

I hope it happens, of course, but really don't expect much of an offset to actually occur. Veteran minimum salary ($1M) at most. 

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This is only meaningful if someone else wants Revis for well over $6M for 2017. Otherwise we'll see the same thing we saw with Faneca: he'll sign elsewhere for the veteran minimum and will still collect almost all of the guaranteed amount from the Jets. 

Why would anyone pay him over $1M if the Jets are on the hook for so much? It's the same money to Revis whether someone else offers him $1M or $6M. This offset language only matters if Revis would still command a good amount more than $6M per year, which is pretty unlikely. 

Even if Revis would command $7M next year, which he won't, what would likely happen is he signs for the vet minimum ($1M) for 2017 and then gets a guaranteed bonus for the other $6M in 2018 (on top of any 2018 salary, which could be fluff or not). Then he'd collect $7M from his new team and $5M from the Jets. Or something like that.

I hope it happens, of course, but really don't expect much of an offset to actually occur. Veteran minimum salary ($1M) at most. 

I doubt the league would allow these sorts of shenanigans....at least I hope not.  Hasn't this sort of thing been tried and disallowed before?

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Missed that but it is a well structured contract. Obviously overpaid in first 2yrs but will not wreck the cap. I think macc did similar thing for mo. 

He did.  Won't stop most people from screaming their heads off but most people don't even bother to look past the years and total numbers of a contract.

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/11/will_jets_cut_darrelle_revis_after_2016_heres_why.html

if jets cut Revis there is 6million cap hit BUT there is offset language. So if Revis signs elsewhere that money would be subtracted off the cap hit. Good article, jets will have options with mevis, not as dire as we thought.

There are going to be a ton of options this offseason to make dramatic improvements.

It usually never is as dire in Jets land as we think..

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Revis isn't going anywhere for a veteran minimum salary. Y'all are bananas for thinking that.  He could have done the whole "less for more wins" thing with NE and he passed on it.  He knows he'd never see the second year of that deal you proposed and he'll retire before taking an offer like that.  I also don't think there's an organization stupid enough to give him a deal like that considering how much guaranteed money they'd have to throw in.  Honestly, his retirement would be best case scenario for our CAP.

The overlooked part of this is the jets can basically say "take a paycut or get cut".  If he says no pay cut? Cut him, let another team snag him at his price and not worry about it.  It's a great contract with this language in it.  I know it goes against the "Screw Macc" rhetoric some have enjoyed spewing over the last few weeks but whatevs.

Which is why fans need to chill out, I hate to use this term again but the Jets really are in a "competitive rebuild" mode. Macc came in with a lot of money he HAD to spend and handed out a lot of short term deals to keep ownership happy while rebuilding the talent through the draft.  I have my concerns about Bowles who really seems to have taken a step back this year but I think in reality this was always a 3-4 year rebuild.  With that being said, the team still looks like garbage this year and theres no excuse for the lazy uninspired play from the guys that are here.

1 hour ago, LIJetsFan said:

I doubt the league would allow these sorts of shenanigans....at least I hope not.  Hasn't this sort of thing been tried and disallowed before?

Even if they didn't, it would take a special kind of stupid to offer a deal like that to Revis.  Especially with how he's played this year.

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

It's blindingly obvious Revis isn't a quality corner now.... so if any of this talk about moving him to safety is real, why not do it now and find out if he can play the position?

Personally I think he'd be great at this and if he wants to prove his continuing value, he'll go all out to make it work. 

While I'm at it, I think Pryor should be moved to linebacker. With the D-line doing a great job stopping the run (first in the NFL last I looked) we need cover LBs that can tackle and he'd be great at that. 

2 hours ago, Barkus said:

You realize Revis wouldn't get $6 mil per on the open market right?

51 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

All it takes is one greater fool.

Revis would definitely get signed but even with the nutty FA market and the cap increasing by 5% I don't see how any GM is dumb enough to give him $6 mil per.  $3-4 mil maybe and yes that helps but still

Just move him to FS and cut Gilchrist who himself is also an awful contract

7 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

You all know the Jets paid Ryan Fitztragic 12 million per year right?  So yes someone will give Revis 6+ million on the open market trust me.

Fitz was coming off a career season.  Revis is arguably the worst cover corner in the NFL this year everyone has picked on him

1 hour ago, GoingToMyGraveGreen said:

It's blindingly obvious Revis isn't a quality corner now.... so if any of this talk about moving him to safety is real, why not do it now and find out if he can play the position?

Personally I think he'd be great at this and if he wants to prove his continuing value, he'll go all out to make it work. 

While I'm at it, I think Pryor should be moved to linebacker. With the D-line doing a great job stopping the run (first in the NFL last I looked) we need cover LBs that can tackle and he'd be great at that. 

Pryor can't really cover either and he is an average tackler, he likes to throw a shoulder and does not consistently wrap up. 

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

All the better for the jets then, I'd keep him for 6million I think. He is still somewhat serviceable at that price.

I think he's hurt plus he's no longer a corner.  He needs to move to safety that extended the careers of Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson

1 minute ago, Barkus said:

Pryor can't really cover either and he is an average tackler, he likes to throw a shoulder and does not consistently wrap up. 

Moving Revis to FS would help Pryor because he can play in the box which is his strength while Revis falls back in zone

2 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Right. It is not like he has had hints of a declien. He is hideous.

4 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

I think he's hurt plus he's no longer a corner.  He needs to move to safety that extended the careers of Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson

I did read his wrist was still bothering him and affecting his ability to jam at the line. When he actually played football and was not lazy/pussified he was a very solid tackler. If he committed himself he would be a very good safety I think.

7 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Moving Revis to FS would help Pryor because he can play in the box which is his strength while Revis falls back in zone

Pryor has no strength.  His "in-the-box" play is still below average in my opinion.

His coverage needs no comment.

Pryor should be stocking shelves.

20 minutes ago, Barkus said:

All the better for the jets then, I'd keep him for 6million I think. He is still somewhat serviceable at that price.

Keeping him for $6m would require that he agrees to a massive pay cut. He's due a $13m salary next year, plus a $2m roster bonus. Good luck asking him to renegotiate so we pay him $9m less. ;-) 

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Revis isn't playing football for a total of $7 million when he can sit home and make $6 million. Despite the offset language, I think he'll command more than the vet minimum, given the awfulness across the league at CB. He can probably command more money if he agrees to move to FS, although I'm not certain the transition will be as feasible as some think it'll be.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I highly doubt that Macc would be that foolish.  I would have to assume the offset language is based on the annual contract average versus the first year salary.  

How much did Cromartie get when he was done?  Revis will demand plenty, IMO.  

Now we're concerned with the cap.

Would've been nice before wasting 12mil on sh*tz.  Or giving top player money to an average-to-good Wilkerson.

I'd much rather pay Revis 14mil (or whatever he's due next year) than have re-signed either Mo or that pu$$y-armed QB.

2 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Now we're concerned with the cap.

Would've been nice before wasting 12mil on sh*tz.  Or giving top player money to an average-to-good Wilkerson.

I'd much rather pay Revis 14mil (or whatever he's due next year) than have re-signed either Mo or that pu$$y-armed QB.

Funny how the whiners attack Geno and Revis but are ok with throwing good money away on a rag armed bum QB. 

Revis is the best CB on the roster. 

4 hours ago, Barkus said:

I believe most of Jets FA contracts have outs after 2 yrs. I think that applies to Skrine & Gilchrist too? 

5 hours ago, LIJetsFan said:

Nope. Totally legal. What they disallowed were poison pills, like having bonuses based on starting 4 games in the state of Minnesota triggering a $30M bonus, thereby preventing the Vikings from signing a player. We did something similar with Curtis Martin.

If another team wants to sign Revis to the following contract:

2 years, $18M with $6M guaranteed

2017: $1M salary (guaranteed). No signing/roster bonus.

2018: $5M bonus (guaranteed) + $12M salary (not guaranteed).

What leg would the Jets possibly have to stand on in objection, other than whining about circumstances they created themselves?

4 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Revis isn't going anywhere for a veteran minimum salary. Y'all are bananas for thinking that.  He could have done the whole "less for more wins" thing with NE and he passed on it.  He knows he'd never see the second year of that deal you proposed and he'll retire before taking an offer like that.  I also don't think there's an organization stupid enough to give him a deal like that considering how much guaranteed money they'd have to throw in.  Honestly, his retirement would be best case scenario for our CAP.

The overlooked part of this is the jets can basically say "take a paycut or get cut".  If he says no pay cut? Cut him, let another team snag him at his price and not worry about it.  It's a great contract with this language in it.  I know it goes against the "Screw Macc" rhetoric some have enjoyed spewing over the last few weeks but whatevs.

Don't think so linearly. Revis wouldn't be giving up a penny, wouldn't actually be making the veteran minimum, and would net more money when the dust settles.

See above example. That would be $6M of new money for 2017 from his new team and $5M (the balance of the offset) from the Jets. That's $11M for the 2017 season, and he's a FA in 2018 free to sign anywhere (or the new team keeps him at another $12M or whatever). He makes more money this way than if he signed somewhere else for 1 yr $8M (if he could even secure such a deal after the season he's having).

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

He did.  Won't stop most people from screaming their heads off but most people don't even bother to look past the years and total numbers of a contract.

and what happens if Revis signs 3 years 30 mil deal in the off season which pays him 1mil salary the first year and 29 in the next 2 years? Jets end up picking up the 5mil next year. Same for Mo, Mo. 

Archived