Macc's Roster Additions/A Brief Overview

varjet

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

McLendons been good but was he really necessary if Simon is all that people are saying he is.  Multi sources now have been touting this guy a lot but he is hardly playing.

JC you need more than 1 NT type on a roster. Simon was a rookie last yr so he was still an unknown and needed development. 

57 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

What about Dak Prescott? He's a young QB playing with a young elite running back and the best OL in the NFL.

Fair overview, for the most part on Maccagnan, Wilkerson is the one disagreement because everyone liked the signing at the time.

While I agree from the outside looking in everyone loved the Wilkerson signing but most of the fans and media didn't know about him not showing for meetings and his lack of leadership, knowing what we know now and we're assuming Macc knew when signing him I believe that we should've taken the best offer available and moved on from the guy.

29 minutes ago, C Mart said:

JC you need more than 1 NT type on a roster. Simon was a rookie last yr so he was still an unknown and needed development. 

The way bowles and rodgers have been handling the defense we don;t need a NT half the time.  Iam really starting to hate this 'we are going to play both with our clever hybrid system.

20 hours ago, rex-n-effect said:

I generally agree here.

I disagree about Devin Smith as a win now pick. At the time our receiver corp was awful and needed help. Even as it stands Decker and Marshall are older guys with injuries. We will need young guys to replace them. We are doing considerably better at developing WRs (perhaps the biggest post-Rex coaching positive) so maybe we get something out of him. Can't blame Macc for not forecasting that injury.

Macc deserves some slack on the Mo situation. I think he wanted to let Mo walk if a more reasonable deal could not go on the table but Richardson has really screwed that up. Richardson is mouthy in a bad way and with his criminal and drug problems is a real question mark for sustained play. I suspect Richardson is cut after this season and we hope for a comp pick. 

It's not development.  It's scouting.  At the end of the day, you have to pick up guys who have the ability to turn into quality WRs.  Stephen Hill and Clyde Gates were not those guys.  Anderson and Peake are.  I don't think any of the WRs that Geno was throwing to in 2013 are even on an NFL roster right now.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

Excellent point - not sure how old McClendon is, but you need depth and succession at every position you can find it at. Develop Simon until he's better than McClendon, then turn the job over to him. Meanwhile, bring in another young guy to develop for the future.

2 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

While I agree from the outside looking in everyone loved the Wilkerson signing but most of the fans and media didn't know about him not showing for meetings and his lack of leadership, knowing what we know now and we're assuming Macc knew when signing him I believe that we should've taken the best offer available and moved on from the guy.

Fair, but the alternative was signing a guy who endangered the life of a child and is one incident away from a major suspension.

I think the Jets took the lesser of two evils. 

mac sucks something awful just like his predecessor did.

those that cant see it are blinded by their green blood

people think because mac is new he is good-he is not -

we need a proven guy to run our team-I have no problem with a 4-5 year plan if the guy in charge of it has a proven track record of building a team and winning

Now because the jets suck something awful-this proven winner to run our team will cost woody lots of money but he has plenty of it so might as well spend it wisely this time

I would argue half of the fans could have put together a better team than our current gm-I am just a dumb fan and I knew Fitz was going to be the worst qb in the league and revis was not worth paying and neither was MO

The only move our gm made that impressed me was the bmarsh deal -other than that he has been garbage-his one maybe hit in the draft was a top pick that was a no brainer

every year our drafts we seem to get one player that is a legit player and two decent guys we try and hype up to be more than they are

8 minutes ago, kmnj said:

mac sucks something awful just like his predecessor did.

those that cant see it are blinded by their green blood

people think because mac is new he is good-he is not -

we need a proven guy to run our team-I have no problem with a 4-5 year plan if the guy in charge of it has a proven track record of building a team and winning

Now because the jets suck something awful-this proven winner to run our team will cost woody lots of money but he has plenty of it so might as well spend it wisely this time

I would argue half of the fans could have put together a better team than our current gm-I am just a dumb fan and I knew Fitz was going to be the worst qb in the league and revis was not worth paying and neither was MO

The only move our gm made that impressed me was the bmarsh deal -other than that he has been garbage-his one maybe hit in the draft was a top pick that was a no brainer

every year our drafts we seem to get one player that is a legit player and two decent guys we try and hype up to be more than they are

YOu are most definitely in the minority on that

1 hour ago, kmnj said:

Let me know as soon as one of those becomes available. 

Hack is a project. They knew that but seem convinced he will be good. Time will tell. They invested big time $$$ in Revis and Mo. Who knew they would stink up the field this year. He tried to infuse the LBs with youth and speed. Not really working out. Don't know why Bowles went to a 43 and stopped his devastating Blitz schemes of last year. Rookie WRs look good. Looking to the future I think Jets need O-Lineman, secondary and a RB next year. I believe at some point Mo will get his Mo-Jo back. Revis needs paycut and move to safety. That's the way I see it if I was the GM.

This Roster is such a mess, Macc inherited garbage. He's been putting sticking plasters over the holes for a while. To be honest the Big thing this year is the crop of young talented Receivers that mostly are UDFA's. That's his scouting team.

I actually like Mauldin, kid makes plays on very limited reps, with Bowles insistence of playing 4-3 all the time.

Bowles is so scared of getting fired, he's going to get fired, because he doesn't seem to realise the young players are the future. And without any real game reps, they won't develop. 

This season is gone, time to play the Kids and see what we have?

On 11/17/2016 at 10:45 PM, varjet said:

The right way is to build the OL, find a QB and not sign win now free agents.   Draft BPA and accrete draft picks.

I think that MacC may have veered from BPA in his drafts.

Agree, but the Jets have gotten themselves into a very bad position.  2014-15 was the time to tear the team down, and rebuild it from scratch.  In 14 they had 12 draft picks who have mostly gone to waste.  In 2015 they had 40 + million in cap space.  Honestly didn't get much return.

They ran the team as a "WIN NOW"  team with very little talent, and no QB.  when they should have been dismantling, and rebuilding.

Now they are going into the 3rd year of this regime's  reign,  still no QB, an aging underachieving, over paid roster, and over the cap.  This is the year that the roster is going to be dismantled, and start from scratch.  The third year of a regime is  when the owner, and fans expect to see some results.  Jets figure to be worst next year then they are now, instead of rounding into a contender.

Strongly suspect the Jets will be looking for a new HC-GM going into the 2018 season.  Wash-rinse-repeat   

On 11/17/2016 at 4:35 PM, varjet said:

Understanding that draft picks need 3 years to make a fair valuation, and the Jets roster did work last year for its purpose, this is my initial take on the draft picks/FAs that Macc procured.  Unfortunately, the ultimate valuation of some of these additions depended on potential other moves and how they were used by the coaching staff.  I think the overall grade here is meh.  Despite being Executive of the Year, Macc has a lot of work to do to get this team righted.

Draft (still Bradway staff scouting):

1-Williams.  Currently Jets best player.  Good pick, but it needed to be accompanied with the trade of SR or Mo or not signing Mo to balance the team.

2-Devin Smith.  This was a win now pick in reaction to not drafting Brandin Cooks and not signing Desean Jackson.  Unfortunately, Fitz cannot throw a ball he can catch.  I have questions whether he is ever successful in the NFL.  Passed up on Preston Smith, Eric Kendricks and Ronald Darby to pick him.

3-Mauldin.  I still think this was a solid 3rd round pick, and this year in particular he is being misused because they are trying to mis-run a 4-3.   But rather than trade down, they could have stood pat and drafted Eli Harold or Duke Johnson.

4-Petty.  Some think he will never be an NFL QB.  That would be bad.  The jury is still out here, but if really is not capable of being even a backup, this was a waste of a valuable pick.

5-Harrison-completely mis-scouted.  Did not have the work ethic, body or temperament to be in the NFL.

6-Simon-he could be good.  Can we play him?

FA/Roster

Skrine and Gilcrist-considering the Jets had to spend cap dollars and the secondary was a mess, I was ok with these.  They played well last year, and I think their decline this year is because of the coaching and Revis collapse.  If Gilcrist is cut in 2017 it is because he can be replaced much cheaper.

Revis-OK to add generally, but way too much money and contract term for someone who was expected to decline rapidly.  Will likely get cut next year for $6mm of deal money.

Carpenter-solid signing who is hopefully here a long time.

Fitz and Marshall-good value for trade compensation spent.   Fitz was supposed to be a temporary back up, and Marshall had a great year last year.

Draft (with Macc's scouting staff):

1-Darron Lee-he could be a good player, but was more of a win now/bonus piece and not building block.  If Paxton Lynch turns out to be good, Macc should lose his job.  This was a direct rejection of Paxton Lynch for a team without a QB.

2-Hack-Boom or bust, but his development should be a priority that is pushed.   Macc made a very expensive Hack for Lynch bet.

3-Jarvis Jenkins-an apparent solid 3rd round pick who was injured then mis-used.

4-Burris-solid 4th round pick.

5-Shell-this could be another dud, even for a 5th round pick.

7-Edwards-he was punting well.

7-Peake-good value pick.

FA/Roster

Sign Mo-with drafting Leo, and now knowing that he had an attitude problem before the contract was signed, this looks like a very skeptical move.  Should have let him sign elsewhere and taken the comp pick (like Broncos with Malik).

Sign Fitz-Jets were in a tough spot.  Easy to say now it was a bad idea, but they really were backed into a corner with only Geno, Petty and Hack.  The Broncos were willing to go with what they had.  Desperate move because the Jets were unprepared.

Jarvis Jenkins-perhaps Macc's worst move, but at least we saved the comp pick.

Clady-desperation signing for a fair price.  Tough to sign next year unless at another bargain/gamble price.

Forte for Ivory-better value, but Forte was expensive as a hold the fort guy.  He takes too many touches from Powell, but in the absence of draft picks in that position, no other choice.

Robinson-bummer.  I think we underestimated the effect his injury had on the team.

ASJ and the TEs generally-WTF?  Why 4+ players for a position we don't even use.  Roster mismanagement.

Young WRs-good prospects.  Keep developing.

McClendon-Snacks was the signing, not Mo, but McClendon is playing hard.  

Bruce Carter-he has been out almost all year with a calf injury.  Not a repeat.

Mostly right. What I'd add/correct:

- Maccagnan used his own scouts last year, not the prior staff. He cleaned house in mid-January of 2015. 

- Clady/Shell. Just a distinction, but we traded our 5th for Clady. The 5th we used on Shell is our 4th rounder next year. 

- Forgot to mention Cromartie. The idea that his $7M only affected the 2015 cap is a myth: unused money could be used next year, either directly by carrying it over, or indirectly by paying future money in the current year (thereby lowering others' future hits by that amount).

- It's not just those he added, but those he chose not to dump (e.g. Giacomini making this year's final roster, placing him on PUP for $5M. That's $5M less he'll have next year).

- The spending requirement is overstated. They needed to spend cash, but that doesn't necessarily mean sign all these expensive, new players. 

There's more (admittedly, you did say brief), but whatever. Spirit of your post is spot on: he sucks.

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

- Maccagnan used his own scouts last year, not the prior staff. He cleaned house in mid-January of 2015. 

- Clady/Shell. Just a distinction, but we traded our 5th for Clady. The 5th we used on Shell is our 4th rounder next year. 

- Forgot to mention Cromartie. The idea that his $7M only affected the 2015 cap is a myth: unused money could be used next year, either directly by carrying it over, or indirectly by paying future money in the current year (thereby lowering others' future hits by that amount).

- It's not just those he added, but those he chose not to dump (e.g. Giacomini making this year's final roster, placing him on PUP for $5M. That's $5M less he'll have next year).

- The spending requirement is overstated. They needed to spend cash, but that doesn't necessarily mean sign all these expensive, new players. 

There's more (admittedly, you did say brief), but whatever. Spirit of your post is spot on: he sucks.

Its pretty clear that Mac and Bowels are in win now mode, which is stupid as all hell, but we have no idea whose agenda it is to win now. I suspect Woody, and that Mac is doing what Woody wants.If that is the case, I would give Mac a slight pass for following orders, and for not fixing 7 years of worth of awful drafting and worse player development in 2 off-seasons. If on the other hand its Macs idea to compete now, and try to build towards the future at the same time, without a QB, then yeah, he sucks. I honestly don't know whose agenda it is, but gun to my head its Woody.

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

Agree, but the Jets have gotten themselves into a very bad position.  2014-15 was the time to tear the team down, and rebuild it from scratch.  In 14 they had 12 draft picks who have mostly gone to waste.  In 2015 they had 40 + million in cap space.  Honestly didn't get much return.

They ran the team as a "WIN NOW"  team with very little talent, and no QB.  when they should have been dismantling, and rebuilding.

Now they are going into the 3rd year of this regime's  reign,  still no QB, an aging underachieving, over paid roster, and over the cap.  This is the year that the roster is going to be dismantled, and start from scratch.  The third year of a regime is  when the owner, and fans expect to see some results.  Jets figure to be worst next year then they are now, instead of rounding into a contender.

Strongly suspect the Jets will be looking for a new HC-GM going into the 2018 season.  Wash-rinse-repeat   

Because fans wont accept a full rebuild. Been saying that for awhile now. 

17 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Its pretty clear that Mac and Bowels are in win now mode, which is stupid as all hell, but we have no idea whose agenda it is to win now. I suspect Woody, and that Mac is doing what Woody wants.If that is the case, I would give Mac a slight pass for following orders, and for not fixing 7 years of worth of awful drafting and worse player development in 2 off-seasons. If on the other hand its Macs idea to compete now, and try to build towards the future at the same time, without a QB, then yeah, he sucks. I honestly don't know whose agenda it is, but gun to my head its Woody.

All comes back to the fans inability to accept a full rebuild. Woody runs a business and he knows that the place will be empty if they tear everything apart. Now he should still do it, but the business sense is getting in the way

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don't think so. The spirit is he's been mostly good with some mistakes. Because for the most part, I agree with his post too. 

Biggest Macc mistakes

1. Drafting Hackenberg in the second round. Way too high.

2. Signing Jarvis Jenkins.

Everything else is basically hindsight, which is not fair to criticize.

Archived