COACH dep. : " Ranking the NFL's best potential head-coaching vacancies " ~ ~ ~

kelly

When the Los Angeles Rams fired Jeff Fisher on Monday afternoon, it lit the pilot light under the hot stove of coaching changes around the NFL. Fisher was the first and to this point the only head coach to be relieved of his duties this season, a list that will surely grow once the season ends. There's no fun in speculating on future firings, but the coaching cycle is an inescapable reality of football.

Let's think about this in a different way. Instead of speculating on the coaches who are likely to be unemployed soon, let's focus on the jobs and the opportunities that might be available shortly.

I'm not suggesting that these coaches are going to be leaving or deserve to lose their jobs, but I am analyzing all of the potential head-coaching openings that have been the subject of public scrutiny at different points during this season. Let's sort through them from least enticing to most promising, independent of their chances of becoming available. And that begins with an organization that should be very familiar with the hiring process by now ...

~ ~ 

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

8. New York Jets

Years of bad drafts have left the Jets relying heavily on veteran free agents and trade acquisitions, and while that strategy worked during a surprisingly impressive 2015, Gang Green has fallen on its face this season. Unless Todd Bowles impresses over the final few weeks of the season, it seems like he'll be done after two years in New York, one of which was a 10-6 campaign with Ryan Fitzpatrick at quarterback. Given the quick hooks for Bowles and, before his time, general manager John Idzik, this wouldn't be an appealing job.

After Idzik cleaned up the Jets' cap during his time at the helm, general manager Mike Maccagnan went on a spending spree during the 2015 and 2016 offseasons. Many of those moves look like mistakes, and the Jets already have $165.1 million committed to the cap next season before even thinking about what they might do at quarterback, where they'll owe Fitzpatrick $5 million regardless of whether he stays on the roster.

The Jets can clear out cap space by releasing veterans, but there aren't any replacements behind those vets on the roster. Releasing Darrelle Revis, Ryan Clady, Nick Mangold, Breno Giacomini and David Harris would create more than $39 million in cap room, but the Jets would need to rebuild most of their offensive line and find a starting-caliber cornerback in a market where even decent corners are approaching $10 million per season.

Since drafting Mangold and D'Brickashaw Ferguson in the first round of the 2006 draft, the Jets have used just one pick in the first two rounds on an offensive lineman, taking departed guard Vladimir Ducasse in the second round of the 2010 draft. Their line is a mess and likely requires a level of rebuild comparable to what the Raiders or Lions have done, but that's going to take time, and it's not clear the new guy can count on much of that once he joins the Jets organization.

rest of above article : 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/18280597/ranking-nfl-best-potential-coaching-jobs-2016

8th seems pretty bad, but 5 of the teams rated ahead of the Jets are the Packers (Rodgers), Colts (Luck), Chargers (Rivers), Jags (Bortles) and Bengals (Dalton). Each have a franchise QB, or something resembling a franchise QB. 

The other 2 teams ahead of us, the Bills and Bears have a ton of cap space to work with this coming offseason. 

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

It's either or IMO. Either get a new owner can properly handle a sports team in this market, or get out of this market

Remember when you were vomiting this exact same BS and the site administrator had to threaten to ban you for starting incessantly belligerent threads that denigrated the board and entire fan base? Good times.

4 hours ago, section314 said:

Exactly. Until Woody sells the team, or steps aside ala Hess when he hired Parcells, we will never get anyone really good here.

Why, he's never had a quick hook before.  Its IF he fired Bowles after two seasons.  

There isnt anyone staying away from a NY job because of woody

I don't agree... We kept Rex for 6 years and most everyone before him at least 3 or 4. Bowles has not proved he can coach, so why keep him. Let Macc pick the coach this time and have him report to him, this way we can see whether he's the correct GM for the job. I'm not really for giving Bowles one more year, but I can see a case for it as well, but he would have a short leash if he didn't prove he's learned anything from these past 2 years.

55 minutes ago, 68JET11 said:

but I can see a case for it as well, but he would have a short leash if he didn't prove he's learned anything from these past 2 years.

Exactly. We need to see that Bowles (if we keep him) can learn and progress as a head coach, and not do the myriad of stupid things he's done twice. The poor fans in the Bills chat room are saying that they hope Rex can learn from his mistakes if they keep him. We know that's never gonna happen with Rex, but hopefully it can with Bowles.

21 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Remember when you were vomiting this exact same BS and the site administrator had to threaten to ban you for starting incessantly belligerent threads that denigrated the board and entire fan base? Good times.

What is the difference between me saying what I am saying and the Mike Glennon, Boo Ryan Fitzpatrick threads? THey are incessant, can get beliigerant.

when the schedule came out I thought the final 3 weeks had potential to be super epic

there is a very real possibility it becomes super tragic

you can see a playoff hungry miami team coming in here in slushy slop on a cold night and beating the jets followed by the usual nightmare in ratsboro and then we get sexy rexy in the toilet bowl at home in front of 78 people, mostly rex's family 

I don't think any coach would hold it against woody for letting bowles go if it gets to those levels

On 12/15/2016 at 6:47 PM, Jet Nut said:

Why, he's never had a quick hook before.  Its IF he fired Bowles after two seasons.  

There isnt anyone staying away from a NY job because of woody

He fired Mangini after 3 years, 2 of which were winning seasons. Je should have fired moron Rex after 3, but kept his ass here for 6, Woody is an awful owner. 

On 15 December 2016 at 7:18 PM, UnitedWhofans said:

Why come to a place that will give you no time to do anything?

My issue, you have to show signs of growth has an Head Coach, regardless of how poor your roster is. Bowles if any thing is worse, and learnt nothing. It's not all about,  "It's only fair"3rd year BS. 

The guys already a dead duck HC. What happens if he does not make the play off's in 2017, it's a total rebuild we aren't making the playoffs.

So why waste everyone's time in 2017 "To be fair" Since just like Rex with Idzik, he's a gonner.

24 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

He fired Mangini after 3 years, 2 of which were winning seasons. Je should have fired moron Rex after 3, but kept his ass here for 6, Woody is an awful owner. 

3 years is not a quick hook.

Hes not a awful owner.  He's an owner of a team with a fanbase that just likes to whine.  He spends, he gets players, he doesn't limit what his GM can do, he built an expensive stadium even splitting the costs and built one of if not the top training facilities for another fortune.

But he's awful. 

4 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

3 years is not a quick hook.

Hes not a awful owner.  He's an owner of a team with a fanbase that just likes to whine.  He spends, he gets players, he doesn't limit what his GM can do, he built an expensive stadium even splitting the costs and built one of if not the top training facilities for another fortune.

But he's awful. 

He is awful, absolutely awful owner. Everything he does are for the wrong motivations. 

11 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Maybe, or maybe I just have a brain and have been paying attention to everything the asshat has done for the past 16 years?

No evidence of that.

And again, you have no f'n clue what his motivation is.  Your conclusion is whatever works with what you think about the guy.  Don't act like you have any idea. 

Archived