Mike Mayock: Jets Should Not Draft a QB at #6

JustInFudge

Well, I respectfully disagree, Mike.

http://www.ganggreennation.com/2017/2/28/14760752/mike-mayock-jets-should-not-draft-a-qb-with-the-sixth-pick

NFL Draft analyst Mike Mayock did a conference call yesterday. Among the questions he got was whether the Jets should pick a quarterback with the sixth selection. He did not hold back when giving his opinion.

Q. What are your thoughts on what the Jets should do at No. 6 as you look at their many needs? Would you in any way put quarterback in there as a possibility for them?

MIKE MAYOCK: I don't do team needs until after free agency because it's, frankly, a waste of time. But the quarterback thing for the Jets is really frustrating. I mean, they took Hackenberg last year. Geno's not working out. Petty's still on the roster.

So they've expended some pretty high draft picks on a bunch of quarterbacks that have paid no fruit. So if you're asking me whether the Jets at No. 6 should take a quarterback, I would emphatically tell you no. As a matter of fact, I don't have a Top 10 grade on any quarterback in this draft. So I would not be in that conversation.

If you're talking about what the Jets should do at six based on what they've done with their offensive line, they just released or didn't re-sign three of their starting offensive linemen. That's a real need for them, obviously. At No. 6, is there a guy worthy of that? Probably not. I think you're going to end up, just because of value, unless they trade back -- I think you're going to look at a defensive back, corner or safety, or one of the edge guys. I think that's where they're going to end up being. Because if you're picking six, you've got to get a great football player. You've got to get five or six of the best players in the draft. So if you're the Jets, you're hoping a couple of those quarterbacks go early until a better positional player falls to you.

I think Mayock hits on the only valid reason for passing on a quarterback. That is if the Jets’ evaluation deems none of the quarterbacks to be good enough to take with the sixth pick.

The reality that the Jets have picked quarterback who have paid no fruit means they have to be looking for a quarterback. A team needs to keep looking until it finds a guy. That is easier said than done, though. It is the most pressing need, but there also has to be a quarterback who is good enough to take.

I think Mike Mayock is dead wrong, let me tell you something. The NY jets better not pass on Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. Both guys are 10 times than better Petty n Hack. To Petty defense I think he can be a serviceable backup in the league, but Hack I think has a problem n that is that he has never been accurate. Mike Mac know he reach for Hack thinking that if he was not broken he could had have a franchise. But I have a gut feeling that they realize at the end of last year season Hack is really broken n naturally inacurate. 

They are gonna get a chance at Mahomes, which is a 21 year old Jay Cutler who is willing to be coach, with the escape ability of Russell Wilson n the arm of Bret Favre. If I was the NY Jets GM I would take that at 6 and build my team around him.

Is this at all anything we don;t know already??? I mean, seriously. Mayock is saying the obvious, and he's supposed to be an expert. LMAO.  

No, there is no QB worth taking at 6. No, there is no O-lineman worth taking at 6. So they will take a edge rusher, a safety, a CB or a player that falls out of the top 5. WOW! Amazing analysis!

I can go ahead and give you 3 specific names that, pending a trade down, the Jets will target (if they are on the board). Hooker, S.Jones, L.Fournette. That's it. Now, I have S,Jones in there b/c I believe he is the best CB prospect in the draft, but you can pencil in top CB prospect if you think its someone like Lattimore. Barnett is a wild card, they may target him and he should be there, but I don;t see him improving his stock much and I think it may be a reach if guys like Fournette and/or Hooker and/or top CB are on the board.  

Mayock is also overstating the dire need for O-line. Granted RIGHT NOW there's multiple holes. But the Jets will most likely re-sign W.Johnson and a top tier FA LT. That leaves them with one hole at RT and they have Qvale and Shell to fill it- and that's before the draft. So while they cut Clady, Mangold and Breno- who was a waste of space anyway, they will fill in the holes they have created before the draft. 

2 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Mayock stating the obvious. If teams weren't so desperate for quarterbacks, we might not even see a quarterback taken in the top 20.

I think the Browns go Kizer at 12.  He is the best of a bad bunch and played in a pro style offense which is becoming hard to find in college

Plus Notre Dame starting QB is a big deal in the Midwest 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

Vince Young factor

Win a BCS nobody expected and all of a sudden your a top 5 pick 

yea but hes way better. went to back to back bcs title games against sabans defense. played lights out both time, and everyone expected it this year. dude has been money every big game and some people think he could be a next cam yet mabe hes a first rounder?

1 hour ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

yea but hes way better. went to back to back bcs title games against sabans defense. played lights out both time, and everyone expected it this year. dude has been money every big game and some people think he could be a next cam yet mabe hes a first rounder?

He's probably closer to mariota than cam

13 hours ago, thadude said:

Vince Young factor

Win a BCS nobody expected and all of a sudden your a top 5 pick 

Why did nobody expect it?  Because it was Bama?  The dude led his team to back to back title games.  I dont think them winning was a shock. 

It just so happens he played lights out vs. what people were considering "the best college D ever" - kid can flat out ball. 

11 hours ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

9 hours ago, cant wait said:

He's probably closer to mariota than cam

Him and Mariota are literally identical prospects and it's confusing why people are getting it twisted.  I think Mariota has an inch or 2 on him but I think Watson is the more dynamic player with a little more pizzazz, who clearly has the big time stage ability that Mariota seems to lack. 

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Him and Mariota are literally identical prospects and it's confusing why people are getting it twisted.  I think Mariota has an inch or 2 on him but I think Watson is the more dynamic player with a little more pizzazz, who clearly has the big time stage ability that Mariota seems to lack. 

It's hard to compare apples to apples, mariota was often throwing to completely uncovered receivers at oregon whereas watson had to grind out wins in a tougher conference 

On 2/28/2017 at 9:59 PM, Lgm ny jets said:

I think Mike Mayock is dead wrong, let me tell you something. The NY jets better not pass on Deshaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes. Both guys are 10 times than better Petty n Hack. To Petty defense I think he can be a serviceable backup in the league, but Hack I think has a problem n that is that he has never been accurate. Mike Mac know he reach for Hack thinking that if he was not broken he could had have a franchise. But I have a gut feeling that they realize at the end of last year season Hack is really broken n naturally inacurate. 

They are gonna get a chance at Mahomes, which is a 21 year old Jay Cutler who is willing to be coach, with the escape ability of Russell Wilson n the arm of Bret Favre. If I was the NY Jets GM I would take that at 6 and build my team around him.

was mahomes raised a jets fan? I know you posted his dad was on the mets 

On 3/1/2017 at 0:14 AM, King P said:

The only QB I'd feel comfortable taking at 6 is Kizer.

How can you feel comfortable with Kizer at 6? He was bench 2 times last year when his team needed him the most, it just sounds like a Geno Smith all over again. Kizer has the size, the arm but does he has it upstairs. I would be scare to death to draft Kizer 

1 hour ago, cant wait said:

It's hard to compare apples to apples, mariota was often throwing to completely uncovered receivers at oregon whereas watson had to grind out wins in a tougher conference 

100%.  I've watched Watson carve up the best D's in the country.  Teams that are putting a ton of players into the NFL.  

Mariota played nobodies.  

Nate Davis disagrees with Mike Mayock:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2017/03/01/nfl-mock-draft-2017-first-round-myles-garrett-deshaun-watson-leonard-fournette/98535734/

6. New York Jets — Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson: They could certainly go the "best player on the board" route and capably fill needs at corner, running back or maybe linebacker. But the Jets' offseason moves indicate they're ready to tear down this roster. Yet two years into their tenure, coach Todd Bowles and GM Mike Mike Maccagnan might be best served to get a quarterback (and natural leader like Watson) to build around now — neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg seems to have won the franchise's trust — rather than hope a quality passer falls to them in 2018 or 2019. And if Watson were to be pressed into service, his athleticism would be a needed asset behind an offensive line suddenly in tatters.

1 hour ago, Lgm ny jets said:

How can you feel comfortable with Kizer at 6? He was bench 2 times last year when his team needed him the most, it just sounds like a Geno Smith all over again. Kizer has the size, the arm but does he has it upstairs. I would be scare to death to draft Kizer 

Brian Kelly is a terrible coach. Kizer is a far better prospect than Geno ever dreamed of being. John Lynch said that Kizer "blew the doors" off the interview with the 49ers. With the right coaching staff, he has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs in the class. 

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Brian Kelly is a terrible coach. Kizer is a far better prospect than Geno ever dreamed of being. John Lynch said that Kizer "blew the doors" off the interview with the 49ers. With the right coaching staff, he has the highest ceiling of any of the QBs in the class. 

No witness is more credible than a GM before the draft. 

40 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Then I hope the 49ers draft him and leave Watson and Patrick Mahomes for the NY Jets. When I watch Kizer I don't get the feel that he is a real QB that can carve up a defense with his arm. And he often tucks it n run instead of scrambling to throw. Not that I think he will be a bad QB, but I rather have a QB that I know can put a team on his shoulders throwing the football.

41 minutes ago, JiF said:

Nate Davis disagrees with Mike Mayock:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/draft/2017/03/01/nfl-mock-draft-2017-first-round-myles-garrett-deshaun-watson-leonard-fournette/98535734/

6. New York Jets — Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson: They could certainly go the "best player on the board" route and capably fill needs at corner, running back or maybe linebacker. But the Jets' offseason moves indicate they're ready to tear down this roster. Yet two years into their tenure, coach Todd Bowles and GM Mike Mike Maccagnan might be best served to get a quarterback (and natural leader like Watson) to build around now — neither Bryce Petty nor Christian Hackenberg seems to have won the franchise's trust — rather than hope a quality passer falls to them in 2018 or 2019. And if Watson were to be pressed into service, his athleticism would be a needed asset behind an offensive line suddenly in tatters.

If the Jets are sitting at 6, and thinking of taking a RB without doing something drastic in FA, or Trade at the QB position, you have to just say F-It grab a QB (Everyone knows who I prefer), if it's RB, or QB I'm taking a QB every time, the Jets have to trust their scouting of these QB's, and draft the one they have the best grade on (hopefully they see what I see lol), RB can't be the pick at 6 it just can't be.

2 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If the Jets are sitting at 6, and thinking of taking a RB without doing something drastic in FA, or Trade at the QB position, you have to just say F-It grab a QB (Everyone knows who I prefer), if it's RB, or QB I'm taking a QB every time, the Jets have to trust their scouting of these QB's, and draft the one they have the best grade on (hopefully they see what I see lol), RB can't be the pick at 6 it just can't be.

The idea of not taking a QB at #6 is maddening. Nothing else matters.  Nothing. 

We've seen what having the "best corner in the league" does for a team.  Nothing.  

RB?  OMG.  I think I'd blow my brains out. 

Just now, JiF said:

The idea of not taking a QB at #6 is maddening. Nothing else matters.  Nothing. 

We've seen what having the "best corner in the league" does for a team.  Nothing.  

RB?  OMG.  I think I'd blow my brains out. 

Listen if 3, or 4 QB's go before the Jets pick then yes lets grab the talent that fell who shouldn't have no brainer, but if your sitting at 6, and say 1, or no QB's are drafted, and an elite talent didn't mistakenly drop like Leo then you have to be eyeing the QB's, I am all for sucking for Darnold, but you just can't do anything to guarantee you will pick first next year, so you have to take the QB at 6 if he is there for you, and no other elite prospect is there, or at the very least trade back.

Archived