Jets?Bears suitors for Glennon?

Scott Dierking

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

It will be interesting to see what they do in FA and the draft. It looks like 2017 and 2018 FA and the draft will be what most fans will be looking forward to. 

Maybe they feel confident with Anderson,D,Smith,J. Marshall and Peake. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glennon is quoted as looking for a stable coaching staff, he's not going to get that in New York unless they extend Bowles. Pick your poison.

Hate him all you want but Glennon is probably going to get 15 in year one given his comparative youth.

Do you give him a contract that is voidable after one year but climbs in year two if you decide to keep him ?

Bowles knows he's as good as gone at the end of the season if  Hack or Petty starts... there will be a strong push to sign someone still breathing that has appeared in a few games.

What the Jets are in the middle of doing is a clear signal that this team will not be spending big free agent money on any QB .  I would like to see us sign a player like McCown  to be a calming influence in the QB room.

6 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

What the Jets are in the middle of doing is a clear signal that this team will not be spending big free agent money on any QB .  I would like to see us sign a player like McCown  to be a calming influence in the QB room.

Signing McCown accomplishes nothing it will be like signing Fitzpatrick we need to go with a rookie either Petty,Hackenberg or the QB we draft. 

This is how a rebuild is done not with other teams garbage QB's. 

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I doubt Glennon will want to sign here, and I don't think the Jets FO wants him either, not after these moves. If Decker is released when and if he passes a physical, definitely not. I was all in for Glennon, but the youth movement is in place. Hopefully we get this rebuild right.

The youth movement is in place for sure, but that doesnt mean that the Jets wouldnt consider Glennon because of that. Glennon is 27 years old and is a free agent coming off a a rookie contract. 

With that said though, it would be hard to consider that Glennon would want to sign to a team doing a complete strip down especially when he came from a team (when starting) that was in a complete stripdown state. 

If the Jags move on from Blake Bortles Glennon better be all over that. 

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

The youth movement is in place for sure, but that doesnt mean that the Jets wouldnt consider Glennon because of that. Glennon is 27 years old and is a free agent coming off a a rookie contract. 

With that said though, it would be hard to consider that Glennon would want to sign to a team doing a complete strip down especially when he came from a team (when starting) that was in a complete stripdown state. 

Hate to say it, but if the Jets are doing what they're doing so that they can grab a QB next season, Glennon makes no sense.  He could start for this 2 or 3 win team and win enought games to take them out of "top QB" range.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Hate to say it, but if the Jets are doing what they're doing so that they can grab a QB next season, Glennon makes no sense.  He could start for this 2 or 3 win team and win enought games to take them out of "top QB" range.

I agree. I also dont think that its a selling point to come to to a division with Tom Brady, especially after that SB performance. 

My life sucks. 

3 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

Agreed, as you know I am all in for Glennon but I don't think he would want to come here with the state we are in.  Jags would be perfect. You never know though.

2 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Agreed, as you know I am all in for Glennon but I don't think he would want to come here with the state we are in.  Jags would be perfect. You never know though.

Thats true. But atleast I'll be able to watch some Glennon games again if he signs elsewhere. Consolation I guess lol. 

25 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

I agree. I also dont think that its a selling point to come to to a division with Tom Brady, especially after that SB performance. 

My life sucks. 

Only way he comes here is if the Jets think he can beTHE guy and contend with him within two seasons, not if they plan on replacing him with Darnold next season.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

Only way he comes here is if the Jets think he can beTHE guy and contend with him within two seasons, not if they plan on replacing him with Darnold next season.

True, though we need to be looking past Darnold and more towards Baker Mayfield. 

Just sayin' lol. 

3 hours ago, section314 said:

For what it's worth, one of Glennon's better games as a starter was in Pittsburgh. They saw him first hand. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. 

No one is better at talent evaluation than the Steelers and they want Glennon 

2 hours ago, thadude said:

No one is better at talent evaluation than the Steelers and they want Glennon 

Report: Steelers interested in free agent QB Mike Glennon as potential backup

The Pittsburgh Steelers are putting feelers out for a potential backup QB for the 2017 season.

6 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

If the Jets sign Glennon, he will be our best QB since Farve

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Glennon would be by far the best!!

And to all those who say TB got Wilson because Glennon was sooooo bad here is an article from when Wilson was drafted quoting Greg Cosell.......

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/11/29/5155128/greg-cosell-buccaneers-dont-need-to-draft-a-quarterback

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have won three straight games, something very few people would have predicted after an abysmal 0-8 start. There are many reasons for the difference: an unleashed Gerald McCoy, weak opponents, a resurgent running game thanks to a change in scheme. Ask Greg Cosell, though, and you get one answer: it's all about the quarterback.

"Mike Glennon's the difference," Cosell told the Mac Attack on WFNZ 610AM in Charlotte. "Because Mike Glennon has shown to be a quarterback that I think they can build around. I think they have their quarterback. They don't need to draft one in my opinion unless things change dramatically, and I don't think they will. This kid has a really good feel for throwing the ball from the pocket."

I don't agree with that -- not yet, at least. The quarterback is so important in the NFL that you need to do everything you can to get the best possible player at that position -- within some reasonable limits, of course. Mike Glennon has shown many positive traits and has really improved his level of play over the past two weeks after struggling against Miami. If he can keep that up (and further drive the Bucs' draft position down), then it's entirely possible that the Bucs can't upgrade on Mike Glennon -- either this offseason or, ideally, over the next 15 years.

For now, I'm not prepared to take that step yet. Greg Cosell certainly knows more about NFL quarterback play than me, so it may be wiser to pay more attention to him than to me, though. I do agree with Cosell on one thing: Glennon's showing shades of Matt Ryan, the quarterback he's been compared to most often besides Joe Flacco. The latter comparison doesn't make much sense given Glennon's just above-average arm.

"He was coached at North Carolina State by the same offensive coaching staff that coached Matt Ryan at Boston College. And that staff felt that he was Matt Ryan. They couldn't understand why he wasn't talked about that way. And the more I watch Mike Glennon I think there's definite similarities to Matt Ryan and I think that he actually has a naturally stronger arm."

If the Bucs have Matt Ryan in Mike Glennon they should be pretty happy. Matt Ryan coming out of college wasn't perfect and he wasn't a true top 10 quarterback until two years ago, but he's taken strides, cleaned up some of his mechanics, increased his arm strength and improved his reactions to pressure. He turned himself from an above average quarterback into close to an elite one.

Mike Glennon may be able to do the same thing one day, but he does have some things to work on before he can get to that level. He needs to learn to throw away the ball rather than taking sacks, and he has a bit of a tendency to feel phantom pressure and scramble when it isn't needed. Part of that is just the fact that the interior offensive line has struggled in recent weeks.

One thing I'd love to see him correct that he probably won't is his delivery: he has a bit of a looping, long throwing motion which can cause him to be late and a bit off on his throws and lead to a few more sacks than is strictly necessary. Quarterbacks don't tend to change their mechanics much, though, as it's a very hard thing to alter after spending your entire life throwing one way -- but it's not impossible, either.

Those flaws aren't minor, but Glennon's a rookie who could easily improve and has improved over the past few weeks. If he continues to do that, the Bucs won't be looking for a quarterback this season, and the team may have found a way to solve it's ever-present quarterback issues. It's still early and things may change, but there's reason to be hopeful.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Key is Glennon has improved since he was a rookie and I think that we should get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

And to all those who say TB got Wilson because Glennon was sooooo bad here is an article from when Wilson was drafted quoting Greg Cosell.......

http://www.bucsnation.com/2013/11/29/5155128/greg-cosell-buccaneers-dont-need-to-draft-a-quarterback

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have won three straight games, something very few people would have predicted after an abysmal 0-8 start. There are many reasons for the difference: an unleashed Gerald McCoy, weak opponents, a resurgent running game thanks to a change in scheme. Ask Greg Cosell, though, and you get one answer: it's all about the quarterback.

"Mike Glennon's the difference," Cosell told the Mac Attack on WFNZ 610AM in Charlotte. "Because Mike Glennon has shown to be a quarterback that I think they can build around. I think they have their quarterback. They don't need to draft one in my opinion unless things change dramatically, and I don't think they will. This kid has a really good feel for throwing the ball from the pocket."

I don't agree with that -- not yet, at least. The quarterback is so important in the NFL that you need to do everything you can to get the best possible player at that position -- within some reasonable limits, of course. Mike Glennon has shown many positive traits and has really improved his level of play over the past two weeks after struggling against Miami. If he can keep that up (and further drive the Bucs' draft position down), then it's entirely possible that the Bucs can't upgrade on Mike Glennon -- either this offseason or, ideally, over the next 15 years.

For now, I'm not prepared to take that step yet. Greg Cosell certainly knows more about NFL quarterback play than me, so it may be wiser to pay more attention to him than to me, though. I do agree with Cosell on one thing: Glennon's showing shades of Matt Ryan, the quarterback he's been compared to most often besides Joe Flacco. The latter comparison doesn't make much sense given Glennon's just above-average arm.

"He was coached at North Carolina State by the same offensive coaching staff that coached Matt Ryan at Boston College. And that staff felt that he was Matt Ryan. They couldn't understand why he wasn't talked about that way. And the more I watch Mike Glennon I think there's definite similarities to Matt Ryan and I think that he actually has a naturally stronger arm."

If the Bucs have Matt Ryan in Mike Glennon they should be pretty happy. Matt Ryan coming out of college wasn't perfect and he wasn't a true top 10 quarterback until two years ago, but he's taken strides, cleaned up some of his mechanics, increased his arm strength and improved his reactions to pressure. He turned himself from an above average quarterback into close to an elite one.

Mike Glennon may be able to do the same thing one day, but he does have some things to work on before he can get to that level. He needs to learn to throw away the ball rather than taking sacks, and he has a bit of a tendency to feel phantom pressure and scramble when it isn't needed. Part of that is just the fact that the interior offensive line has struggled in recent weeks.

One thing I'd love to see him correct that he probably won't is his delivery: he has a bit of a looping, long throwing motion which can cause him to be late and a bit off on his throws and lead to a few more sacks than is strictly necessary. Quarterbacks don't tend to change their mechanics much, though, as it's a very hard thing to alter after spending your entire life throwing one way -- but it's not impossible, either.

Those flaws aren't minor, but Glennon's a rookie who could easily improve and has improved over the past few weeks. If he continues to do that, the Bucs won't be looking for a quarterback this season, and the team may have found a way to solve it's ever-present quarterback issues. It's still early and things may change, but there's reason to be hopeful.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Key is Glennon has improved since he was a rookie and I think that we should get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No team has hit on talent evaluation over the years more than the steelers and they want Glennon in case Ben makes good on his retirement threat

9 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

At what cost ? No Thanks, bring in an old vet (McCown) for moral support and go with the kids   .

18 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Jets certainly seem to be doing their homework on the QBs this year.   They seem to be formally meeting with most of them at the combine.  Perhaps they will go that route instead of pricey FA.

Pretty sure that's the normal practice at the combine / scouting

18 hours ago, Dinamite said:

Jets certainly seem to be doing their homework on the QBs this year.   They seem to be formally meeting with most of them at the combine.  Perhaps they will go that route instead of pricey FA.

I wont be surprised or angry when they choose Watson with the 6th pick. 

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

And here I thought this entire fan base minus a few want to "Suck For Sam" .  You folks are confusing .

I still think Matt Barkley is an option, if Bears don't resign him, based on his USC/Morton/Bates time together...A good bridge guy (or backup) until Hack and/or Petty take over

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

I still think Matt Barkley is an option, if Bears don't resign him, based on his USC/Morton/Bates time together...A good bridge guy (or backup) until Hack and/or Petty take over

Its getting more and more obvious that neither Petty or Hack are considered to be the guy here at QB. 

Macc will draft Watson at 6 if he's there. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Its getting more and more obvious that neither Petty or Hack are considered to be the guy here at QB. 

Macc will draft Watson at 6 if he's there. 

How so?

How do we know anything what the Jets braintrust are thinking right now..None of us, including the media, know what Morton/Bates/CS/FO beliefs are regarding the only two QBs currently signed. Even if they were to sign Glennon, I'd guess his contract will be structured like Osweiler and other Mcc contracts, which contain an out after two yrs.

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

How so?

How do we know anything what the Jets braintrust are thinking right now..None of us, including the media, know what Morton/Bates/CS/FO beliefs are regarding the only two QBs currently signed. Even if they were to sign Glennon, I'd guess his contract will be structured like Osweiler and other Mcc contracts, which contain an out after two yrs.

The Jets are in no position financially to waste money on a high priced free agent QB we have way too many other glaring needs especially when none are really "franchise QB material"  I think  if we are in full rebuild mode why not do it with a rookie QB. 

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Jets are in no position financially to waste money on a high priced free agent QB we have way too many other glaring needs especially when none are really "franchise QB material"  I think  if we are in full rebuild mode why not do it with a rookie QB. 

That doesn't answer how you said "Its getting more and more obvious that neither Petty or Hack are considered to be the guy here at QB." 

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

That doesn't answer how you said "Its getting more and more obvious that neither Petty or Hack are considered to be the guy here at QB." 

Petty faltered in 2016 blew the opportunities he had. 

Hackenberg wasnt even trusted enough to see the field in a dismal season. 

If a sure thing QB is available like Watson at 6 the position is immediately upgraded. 

Draft Analyst (@DraftAnalyst1)

3/4/17, 3:05 PM

The story garnering the headlines this morning at the combine is the behavior of Reuben Foster as he waited for an MRI on Friday. As with everything else in life, there are two sides to every story.

While this in no way justifies Foster’s behavior, I’m told there has been a lot of disorganization and inefficiency with player visits to the hospital for MRIs, something that has been a problem for years.

Take into the account the experience of Boise State linebacker Tanner Vallejo, who awoke on Friday morning at 3:45 a.m. for combine medical checks. Throughout the afternoon, his schedule was filled with interviews and team meetings. That evening around 7 p.m., Vallejo was informed an MRI was requested on his injured wrist, which necessitated a trip to the hospital.

So he went, and he waited and waited and waited.

Vallejo eventually arrived back in his room at 3 a.m. in the morning -- almost 24 hours later!! And while Foster’s behavior cannot be excused, having players wait in hospitals for six or seven hours for simple procedures is also unwarranted.

I doubt Foster’s anger at waiting in a medical office, something most of us have experienced, will negatively affect his draft stock.

The bench press numbers have not been anything to brag about this year, and several sources have confided in me that they believe the bench they are using is narrower than usual, which has led to lower numbers than expected.

Players are having problems getting leverage on the bench, and many have come off the bench with sore shoulders.

While people applauded Samaje Perine for completing 30 reps, the running back had been consistently pushing up 35 reps in training and expected to replicate that number at the combine but had problems with the bench. Utah guard Isaac Asiata hoped to complete 40 reps and expected at least 38 but finished with 35. He also had problems with the bench.

Pac-12 receivers Chad Hansen of Cal and Darreus Rogers of USC are players who also had issues with the bench.

Sources close to the situation tell me the New York Jets plan to make a big push for quarterback Mike Glennon once free agency begins on March 9. With that being said, the vast majority of people in Indianapolis believe Glennon will be wearing a Chicago Bears uniform in 2017.

Expect the speedier receivers such as DeSean JacksonRobert Woods and Kenny Stills to receive huge contract offers once free agency begins.

I’m told Jackson will receive a contract that will pay him close to $12 million annually.

The belief right now is Jackson will end up with the Tampa Bay Bucs, as the combination of weather, a big-armed passer in James Winston and no state tax will make it tough for any other team to match.

draftanalyst.com/combine-report… pic.twitter.com/5eBbRY9whi

Archived