Could the Jets End Up Settling for Geno Smith at QB?

Freemanm

16 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick won 4 games.  Fact.  The Dolphins game was the reason he didn't go 8-8 as most of the NFL pundits had us.  Think back:

Ryan had come in after Geno's injury and beat the Ravens and Browns.  He had the Dolphins game won with 1 minute left before special teams blew it. 

Let's say the ST's held on and we win that game.  The Jets would be 4-5 and on a 3 game Fitzpatrick winning streak.  So he would have started the Rams game.  He wins the Rams game going away.  Petty was miserable and the Rams only scored 9 points.  We'd be 5-5 with the soft part of our schedule coming up.

Fitz would have beaten the 49ers, and Fitz in fact beat the Bills.  That's 7 Fitz wins right there for a lousy team with no Decker, no Mangold, and no Clady.  And if the D didn't blow the Bengals game, that's 8 wins for Fitzpatrick, right where we were predicted to be.

Alternative?  Perhaps.  But that's what would have happened.  Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year.  It was our quitting lazy defense, injuries, a soft head coach, and a bad schedule.  So let's stop playing Blame The Quarterback already.  If Fitzpatrick comes back as our last alternative, you can now understand why.

SAR I

1. "The Dolphins game was the reason he didn't go 8-8 as most of the NFL pundits had us."

Alternative Facts

2. "Ryan had come in after Geno's injury and beat the Ravens and Browns.  He had the Dolphins game won with 1 minute left before special teams blew it. Let's say the ST's held on and we win that game.  The Jets would be 4-5 and on a 3 game Fitzpatrick winning streak.  So he would have started the Rams game.  He wins the Rams game going away.  Petty was miserable and the Rams only scored 9 points.  We'd be 5-5 with the soft part of our schedule coming up."

If my auntie was a man she'd be my uncle.

3. "Fitz would have beaten the 49ers, and Fitz in fact beat the Bills.  That's 7 Fitz wins right there for a lousy team with no Decker, no Mangold, and no Clady.  And if the D didn't blow the Bengals game, that's 8 wins for Fitzpatrick, right where we were predicted to be."

whoopty Doo the 12 million dollar quarterback "wins" us 7 games in your hypothetical world but in reality it's everyone else's fault but the 12 million dollar quarterback according to your logic.

4. "Alternative?  Perhaps.  But that's what would have happened.  Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year.  It was our quitting lazy defense, injuries, a soft head coach, and a bad schedule.  So let's stop playing Blame The Quarterback already.  If Fitzpatrick comes back as our last alternative, you can now understand why."

Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year? It was the defense? That is the definition of alternative facts. You credit Fitzpatrick for would be wins while absolving him of blame.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Jets want to draft a QB high seems more likely than Jets want to resign Geno Smith.

Jets want to go with Hackenberg seems more likely than Jets want to resign Geno Smith.

Honestly, looking at all the events in re: Geno Smith and the Jets, I am hard pressed to understand or fellow fans who think Geno coming back is something likely or logical.

Had Geno acted mature and just not done as well as hoped on the field, and if the Jets under Macc didn't seem to want to replace Geno at every opportunity, maybe it would make some odd sense.

But looking at whats happened, where are folsk finding "Macc likes Geno, wants him back" as a likely thing?

We know why the Geno narrative keeps rearing it's ugly head here and it has nothing to do with football.

SAR I

1 hour ago, August said:

1. "The Dolphins game was the reason he didn't go 8-8 as most of the NFL pundits had us."

Alternative Facts

2. "Ryan had come in after Geno's injury and beat the Ravens and Browns.  He had the Dolphins game won with 1 minute left before special teams blew it. Let's say the ST's held on and we win that game.  The Jets would be 4-5 and on a 3 game Fitzpatrick winning streak.  So he would have started the Rams game.  He wins the Rams game going away.  Petty was miserable and the Rams only scored 9 points.  We'd be 5-5 with the soft part of our schedule coming up."

If my auntie was a man she'd be my uncle.

3. "Fitz would have beaten the 49ers, and Fitz in fact beat the Bills.  That's 7 Fitz wins right there for a lousy team with no Decker, no Mangold, and no Clady.  And if the D didn't blow the Bengals game, that's 8 wins for Fitzpatrick, right where we were predicted to be."

whoopty Doo the 12 million dollar quarterback "wins" us 7 games in your hypothetical world but in reality it's everyone else's fault but the 12 million dollar quarterback according to your logic.

4. "Alternative?  Perhaps.  But that's what would have happened.  Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year.  It was our quitting lazy defense, injuries, a soft head coach, and a bad schedule.  So let's stop playing Blame The Quarterback already.  If Fitzpatrick comes back as our last alternative, you can now understand why."

Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year? It was the defense? That is the definition of alternative facts. You credit Fitzpatrick for would be wins while absolving him of blame.

If you use your imagination to pretend that Geno Smith could have won 10 games last year, well, I can use my eyes and ears to deduce that Ryan Fitzpatrick could have won 8.  Whether he won the games or not, Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016 was the same as Ryan Fitzpatrick 2017 but with no Decker, no Ivory, and a harder schedule.  Either way, Geno Smith couldn't win the job from him so what are we arguing exactly?

Geno is dead in New York.  He's moving on.  You should too.  Find another Jet that meets your criteria as a disrespected victim.  There are plenty to choose from.

SAR I

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Facepalm all you like, it's pretty damn obvious which of Geno's "traits" some of our posters think is the most important.  And it sure isn't his passing skill.

Haven't heard a single Kaepernick mention since he became the unkneeler.  Interesting.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Facepalm all you like, it's pretty damn obvious which of Geno's "traits" some of our posters think is the most important.  And it sure isn't his passing skill.

Do you really believe this?  I figured you were a bit more progressive.

Wasn't it shown that the one guy you thought was doing that wasn't even who you thought he was?

Who in the hell would be pushing Geno as part of some kind of half-assed NFL affirmative action agenda?  Many of the so called Geno "fans" also loathe other black dudes on the team.

Al Sharpton isn't posting here.  

36 minutes ago, Warfish said:

That is some dumb sh1t to insinuate. Nowhere did I ever post anything about race and Smith during that dialog. He is a low cost option and a NYJ 2nd round draft pick. Easily better than both of the NYJ current QB's on the roster.

Looks like things are playing out to where Smith can be a reality for the Jets. 

2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is some dumb sh1t to insinuate. Nowhere did I ever post anything about race and Smith during that dialog.

My friend, you and I go back a looooooong time.  Don't pretend you're not who you've always been.

He is a low cost option and a NYJ 2nd round draft pick.

Was.  Now he's a URFA with no one expressing any interest in him.

Easily better than both of the NYJ current QB's on the roster.

If Macc thought that, why didn't he resign him before he became an URFA?

Or out of the league entirely.  Guess we'll see who is closer to being right as time rolls on.

Fair chances and weapons, right?

11 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

That is some dumb sh1t to insinuate. Nowhere did I ever post anything about race and Smith during that dialog. He is a low cost option and a NYJ 2nd round draft pick. Easily better than both of the NYJ current QB's on the roster.

I was sorta hoping it was about race because if it isn't we've got some really demented Jets fans in our midst.

SAR I

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Nobody's saying geno is the next joe Namath here...

the Original question of could we settle for geno? I don't see why not on a 1 year deal. Hes been just as average as everybody else left on the market and wouldn't command a big deal, which is a positive for Macc. 

but answer this... what if he comes back and the West coast offense fits him perfectly? Geno's biggest on-field issues is his decision making when he's blitzed. (West coast offense eliminates that with quick routes designed for speed receivers to get to open spaces...we already have speed receivers across the depth chart) not arm strength or accuracy...

so geno sucks? Ok cool, it's a one year deal and we get a high draft pick next year too loaded with QB talent.

Not really far fetched as it seems...

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

If you use your imagination to pretend that Geno Smith could have won 10 games last year, well, I can use my eyes and ears to deduce that Ryan Fitzpatrick could have won 8.  Whether he won the games or not, Ryan Fitzpatrick 2016 was the same as Ryan Fitzpatrick 2017 but with no Decker, no Ivory, and a harder schedule.  Either way, Geno Smith couldn't win the job from him so what are we arguing exactly?

Geno is dead in New York.  He's moving on.  You should too.  Find another Jet that meets your criteria as a disrespected victim.  There are plenty to choose from.

SAR I

More alternative facts 

53 minutes ago, Warfish said:

My friend, you and I go back a looooooong time.  Don't pretend you're not who you've always been.

Was.  Now he's a URFA with no one expressing any interest in him.

If Macc thought that, why didn't he resign him before he became an URFA?

Or out of the league entirely.  Guess we'll see who is closer to being right as time rolls on.

No matter the distance of this relationship, the argument of Smith as the QB of the NYJ had extremely little to do with political experiences. I want the Jets to win. I want the Jets to get better than they are today and certainly better than last season.

As far as little interest, that is what makes him a low cost option for the NYJ. He is injured and only has been a aNYJ.

It is in the best interest to always test the market for both parties. That is good business sense.

Just like you were right with Futz. That was a real winner for ya.

I want the NYJ to win regardless of QB. This GM is learning on the job. He has over payed and extended contracts to the detriment of the Jets.  He is being more conservative now and that is a step in the right direction. 

PPlease explain to me where I ever stated race has anything to do with Smith being a NYJ QB again? 

30 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Nobody's saying geno is the next joe Namath here...

the Original question of could we settle for geno? I don't see why not on a 1 year deal. Hes been just as average as everybody else left on the market and wouldn't command a big deal, which is a positive for Macc. 

but answer this... what if he comes back and the West coast offense fits him perfectly? Geno's biggest on-field issues is his decision making when he's blitzed. (West coast offense eliminates that with quick routes designed for speed receivers to get to open spaces...we already have speed receivers across the depth chart) not arm strength or accuracy...

so geno sucks? Ok cool, it's a one year deal and we get a high draft pick next year too loaded with QB talent.

Not really far fetched as it seems...

Thank you. This is PRO FOOTBALL. A business.

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Looking more and more likely. Once again the Jets have let the big money guys go by the board - with my blessing - and are now down to a QB no one else seems to want...Geno Smith. I say throw him in the mix and may the best man win.

Well, given the Texans/Browns trade Cleveland might not be looking to draft a QB, leaving the possibility of Watson or Trubisky to be available at six (although unlikely).

1 hour ago, Jetdawgg said:

Thank you. This is PRO FOOTBALL. A business.

So you sign an injured guy with a bad track record who may or may not be ready to play and won't be able to take part in most of the off-season conditioning program. On top of that he won't be able to execute the new offense on the practice field and cost 5mil? That's good business? Really?

7 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you sign an injured guy with a bad track record who may or may not be ready to play and won't be able to take part in most of the off-season conditioning program. On top of that he won't be able to execute the new offense on the practice field and cost 5mil? That's good business? Really?

OK. How about going forward with Pathertic Petty who is also injured and cannot call pass protections, or Hack who can't hit an ocean? The Jets QB situation is abysmal. I did not do,any of the drafting of those QB's. 

Keep it real bro and don't take things out of context. 

15 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

OK. How about going forward with Pathertic Petty who is also injured and cannot call pass protections, or Hack who can't hit an ocean? The Jets QB situation is abysmal. I did not do,any of the drafting of those QB's. 

Keep it real bro and don't take things out of context. 

You need "to keep it real bro". You are the one who wants an injured malcontent. What did I take out of context? Maybe you need to wake the F(ck up and realize Geno"friggin"Smith is the worst option out there and stop the bullspit.

38 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

You need "to keep it real bro". You are the one who wants an injured malcontent. What did I take out of context? Maybe you need to wake the F(ck up and realize Geno"friggin"Smith is the worst option out there and stop the bullspit.

That may be true that he is the worst option out there. My argument is that he is better than what is on the roster now. If your gray matter was more than nano sized you would be able to comprehend my argument and the indisputable FACT that he is.

You won't even acknowledge that part of the complexities and nuances debated here. Just like you didn't acknowledge that Petty is injured. 

When you come after me, ensure that your argument is on point.

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Found this gem for ya brainiac....

http://turnonthejets.com/2017/03/new-york-jets-turn-familiar-face-qb/#more-36071

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

That may be true that he is the worst option out there. My argument is that he is better than what is on the roster now. If your gray matter was more than nano sized you would be able to comprehend my argument and the indisputable FACT that he is.

You won't even acknowledge that part of the complexities and nuances debated here. Just like you didn't acknowledge that Petty is injured. 

When you come after me, ensure that your argument is on point.

My argument is on point. You admit he is the worst option out there yet in a previous post say he is the best option out there. You even say it in the same sentence as outlined in bold above. Which is it? You're all over the place and have yet to comprehend that you just contradicted yourself. He is not better than any QB on the roster because we don't know what Hack can do and Petty is irrelevant. The indisputable facts are simply these:

1. Geno"friggin"Smith tore an ACL. An injury that takes at least a year to properly heal. He will not be ready for training camp and will not be 100% by the time the season starts.

2. Geno"friggin"Smith has a negative history with the Jets and has suspect leadership and character issue's. Not to mention a complete lack of maturity as evidenced by his actions on AND off the field.

3. Geno"friggin"Smith has never shown one iota of progress and is a liability in the locker room, on the sidelines and on the field. His behavior is exactly the type you don't want to have on a team that will be considerably younger when the season starts.

You have never acknowledged these facts about his character and inexplicably sweep them under the rug. You have done this time and time again when we have had these debates in these pages and in other threads. Too top it all off you still want to throw the 5 mil or so it will take of precious cap space to sign this injured little child to be the starting QB of the New York Jets. A guy who had the position LOCKED UP and threw it away because he was just plain stupid. So STFU about how this guy is the best option out there because you are clearly influenced by your misplaced admiration for a guy who has done nothing to earn it.

Petty is irrelevant to me. He has as much chance as starting as you OR Geno"friggin"Smith does.

SNY crew thinks Geno is the best bet.  Lucas went as far as saying Geno is twice as good as Glennon, but also that if he was Geno, he wouldn't come back to the Jets after the way he was treated here.

I agree, but am hoping Geno is the bigger man and decides to come back.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

SNY crew thinks Geno is the best bet.  Lucas went as far as saying Geno is twice as good as Glennon, but also that if he was Geno, he wouldn't come back to the Jets after the way he was treated here.

LOL 

The NFL is a business, the business of filling seats and putting eyeballs on television screens and nobody will tolerate Geno Smith. 

He is the most hated Jet in history. He won't take another snap for this team. 

SAR I

Wow, amazing how many of you profess never to watch the Jets should they resign Geno. Well the majority of you are full of it. If that's all it took, most of you would have become Patriots fans years ago.
Face it, we are Jets fans for better or worst, and for most of us, there has been far more worst then better. Yet, we are still here with the promise of a new season, even when we all know it's a false promise.
So please stop with the, " I'm done with this team if they resign Smith".
So here's my plan and reasons why we sign Geno if he can be ready by camp.
The first and foremost reason of course is dollars. Geno will know this will be his last shot at ever being a starting QB on the NFL level. There fore he will be amenable to signing a cap friendly deal for two years. If he stinks up the joint next season he will become a perennial backup or be out of the pro game at the end of his contract.
The second reason this makes good sense is his knowledge of the personal. He knows most of the young receivers as he was the one throwing to them, while Fitz was throwing love passes to his buddies Decker and Marshall. For the first time in his short career he will finally become the seasoned veteran and undisputed leader of this team. We all know Geno has the physical talent to play at this level, after all his time in the league he should have the mental aspect as well, one would hope,anyway.
Make no mistake either, I am not advocating giving him anything. He will have to clearly beat out Petty and Hack and earn the job,best player plays.
I would then draft Deshon Watson with the first pick after trading down. Hopefully for a extra second this year or next, but no less then a third this year.
Watson then sits and learns, call it his red shirt year. Of the three quality QB's I personally think this young man has what it takes to step up and become a franchise player. It would be my hope that by the 2020 season he would become our long awaiting starting QB of the future.
As far as Petty and Hack, this coming season the best of the two becomes the backup. The third man out continues to learn and improve and develop,in hopes of returning a third or fourth draft pick in two years
As far as sucking for Sam, if you have been a Jets fan long enough, you know that's not going to happen. One of two things would occur ,that prevented it. Either we would win one more game or tie with another team but have some other small advantage that gave the pick to the other team. The other for sure would be, we get the number one pick, but the kid decides to stay in school so as not have to go to the Jets.
I know you don't like it or think it would never happen, that just proves you have not been a
Jets fan long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LOL 

The NFL is a business, the business of filling seats and putting eyeballs on television screens and nobody will tolerate Geno Smith. 

SAR I

Hey, we're rebuilding.  We could also rebuild the fanbase a bit too.  The Geno haters can go.  They won't be missed.

5 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LOL 

SAR I

SAR I if you have been a Jets fan your entire life you know that everything and anything that you thought would never happen happens here. 

31 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

A chance at a starting job>>hurt feelings

35 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

but also that if he was Geno, he wouldn't come back to the Jets after the way he was treated here.

They drafted him, gave him a ton of starts, survived a regime change and he played out the duration of his contract. He got a better chance than 90% of second round QB's. He just stunk.

29 minutes ago, SAR I said:

LOL 

SAR I

There were a handful more hated Jets on the team last year.

Stop pretending that you and 3 other guys on this board speak for the majority of Jet fans.  Your judgment on this topic is clouded with such bizarre hatred it can't be taken seriously. 

You'd rather have Fitz back.  The guy who is coming off such a disgusting performance that he's not even being mentioned (good or bad) by anyone, anywhere.

22 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Hey, we're rebuilding.  We could also rebuild the fanbase a bit too.  The Geno haters can go.  They won't be missed.

Problem is, in a stadium that holds 82,500 people you're talking about 82,400 people quitting on the team. Can't happen. 

What I find hysterical is that the same people Jonesing Geno Smith to this degree are the ones who ran Mark Sanchez out of town and spit on Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Meanwhile, those two guys accomplished more than Geno Smith ever did.  4 playoff wins, an 11-5 season, 60 minutes from the Super Bowl twice, get rid of him. 10 wins on the heels of the John Idzik catastrophe and 31 touchdowns, get rid of him.  2 atrocious seasons followed by Twitter assassinations, dick pics, media boycotts, $600 ransoms, and delusions of grandeur, have to have him oh my God just have to have him. 

SAR I 

6 minutes ago, Pac said:There were a handful more hated Jets on the team last year.

Stop pretending that you and 3 other guys on this board speak for the majority of Jet fans.  Your judgment on this topic is clouded with such bizarre hatred it can't be taken seriously. 

You'd rather have Fitz back.  The guy who is coming off such a disgusting performance that he's not even being mentioned (good or bad) by anyone, anywhere.

To be clear, I don't want either quarterback to return.

But if only one of them is coming back, damn right I want it to be Ryan Fitzpatrick. He sucks, but he is significantly better than Geno Smith. 

As far as the pulse of the average Jets fan, I'm not sure if you are a season ticket holder but in my section there are over 1000 Jets fans and we start booing the guy from the opening gun and can't stop saying awful things about him. I've never seen Jets fans turn on a guy like this since Neil O'Donnell.

SAR I

Archived