Could the Jets End Up Settling for Geno Smith at QB?

Freemanm

25 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

And I'm nowhere near a fan of geno...but please enlighten me on the opportunities he's gotten with a decent group of weapons?

Fair chance and weaponz.  Fair chance and weaponz.  Fair chance and weaponz.  Etc.

Keeping the dream alive.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

...with chants of " bring back Sanchez, bring back Sanchez." 

I think this would be fantastic.  We should throw him a parade.

I always found Mark good natured and amusing.  He lacks common sense but is not a bad guy.   He could be a good veteran presence.

27 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

so it's geno's fault that he threw a pass that went for extra YAC?

And I'm nowhere near a fan of geno...but please enlighten me on the opportunities he's gotten with a decent group of weapons?

Because anything he does that's positive there's always a caveat to it. 

10 hours ago, Pac said:

the whole torn ACL thing might be a part of that, no?

ACL's don't heal after being repaired anymore?  Hell, Romo is more machine now than man.  

Yes, I am sure this is why losers like Hoyer and his ilk are being signed and Geno isn't even on the radar. 

the sad thing is despite this being one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time your hero Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't been mentioned by anyone, anywhere, in about a month.

Not my hero, my football heros are Al Toon, Wayne Chrebet, Nick Mangold & Joe Klecko.

He was a QB who was better than the QB you advocate for in every way, despite his absolute sh*t second year.  His time here is still better than Geno's time here.

Fair chances and weaponz!  You have a dream.  Keep it alive!

6 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

If they had any sort of faith in Geno he would have gotten the job back from Fitz when he was healthy or they could have let Fitz walk last offseason and go with Geno. What people fail to realize is how much of a headache this guy is on and off the field. 

Because according to Bowles if the QB was playing well and the team was winning he would stick with the QB. And that was what he did. It was the right decision. It isn't about any "faith" or lack thereof. Again, they did not want any negative backlash by the fans and media had they let Fitzpatrick walk. They were more worried about that than avoiding playing Smith due to lack of "faith". But it's pretty interesting how two people can look at the same thing and interpret it differently due to an agenda. 

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

Geno is probably the best option bewteen him, Petty and HAck BUT I think we should just let that ship sale on.  His time here just didn't work out and we need to look forward not backwards.

Mac is going to try something to save his job.  Petty/Hack are going to end his career 

1 minute ago, prime21 said:

True but with a full rebuild he will probably given more time especially with the Woody being away from the team.

You guys act like Woody is traveling to Mars.  He is involved with the jets operations and clearly still is

Woody wouldn't  know what a good QB is if one fell out of his ass.  Hence the past 16 years

16 minutes ago, thadude said:

You guys act like Woody is traveling to Mars.  He is involved with the jets operations and clearly still is

Woody wouldn't  know what a good QB is if one fell out of his ass.  Hence the past 16 years

Sometime Woody acts like he is on Mars.  lol.   

Yes he will still be involved but clearly alot of time will be devoted elsewhere.  Not being hands on and having his brother babysit makes me feel like Macc will have a longer leash for this rebuild.   

41 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Again, I'm nowhere near advocating for geno or a diehard fan of him...

Though he definitely deserved a broken jaw for what he did..but was he really the immature one? IK could have easily went to Bowles and discussed the situation and got it handled. And Over $600? Practice team players are getting paid at least $75k no doubt, so IK had to be making a good check. Geno got punched for being a straight up idiot not for immaturity.

but that's neither here or there...I'm talking on field opportunities.

Think about this...if geno was playing exactly as bad as Fitz so far this season do you think he would've still been named the starter through the ravens game? Noooo way, so I don't blame geno for having throwing a tantrum on the sideline.

He questioned the guys manhood in front of the whole team. That's maturity? That's leadership? This waS all about maturity.  Whats 600 bucks to Geno"friggin"Smith? IK was a fringe player and Geno was a 2nd round draft pick still on his rookie deal. So 600 bucks to IK is a big deal. This was about Geno"friggin"Smiths attitude. He basically told the guy there's nothing you can do about it. Well he did do something about it and if Geno had showed a even a little maturity and had an ounce of character sh*tz maybe never even see's the field. He had it all in his hand and blew it over 600 bucks. Just because his ego dictated that he was Geno"friggin"Smith and screw this guy. Well Geno found out and let the team down and the team is still feeling the repercussions of it.

27 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

As a rookie as well. But nobody seems to remember that

If the goal is 0-16 and Darnold we should be signing nobody - but that's not the goal

Mac still thinks he can save his job

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Geno has been given every opportunity in the world, he has all the physical talent in the world, but he is a complete dickhead, and not good at football.

Boom.

We drafted back-to-back quarterback prospects who couldn't see the field because of people like Geno Smith.  It's time for them to get their shot.  Second round pick?  Hackenberg better get significant playing time this season.

As for Geno's demeanor, spot on.  If Ryan Fitzpatrick is the King Of Career Longevity then Geno Smith is the King Of Career Suicide.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Sometime Woody acts like he is on Mars.  lol.   

Yes he will still be involved but clearly alot of time will be devoted elsewhere.  Not being hands on and having his brother babysit makes me feel like Macc will have a longer leash for this rebuild.   

The empty seats at MetLife are coming and they could even be there by our first home game 

Mac is dead man walking

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

...with chants of " bring back Sanchez, bring back Sanchez." 

I'm not paying my season ticket bill until Geno Smith is cut.

I made that clear to the Jets ticket office as well. 

I don't want a $40 food and beverage credit.  I want Geno Smith gone.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

BN-LA756_NYJETS_J_20151101193308.jpg

November 1, 2015.  The 4-2 Jets are at Oakland.  Ryan Fitzpatrick gets hurt 3 minutes into the game.  Geno Smith finally gets his shot, finally gets his starting job back.  Finally has weapons, the best weapons the Jets have had in their history as they are about to go on a 6-3 run and set a team record of 31 touchdowns while we watch Chris Ivory near the top of NFL rushers and Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker establish themselves as one of the best receiving tandems in the NFL.

And Geno sh*ts the bed, costing us our 11th win and a playoff berth.

Enlightened now?

SAR I

1 hour ago, August said:

By playing someone else who was playing well at the time, and then chasing said player because he was coming off a good season, and they were scared of the backlash had they let him walk is an indictment on him, or how the organization feel about him? Even though this regime named him the starter in '15 and then went back to him after Fitz blew his millionth chance?

News Flash:  Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to get us to 8 wins last year.  He was by no means a bum, certainly not a lesser alternative to Geno Smith.

Fitzpatrick, warts and all, played well enough to get us 8 wins last season.  He had the Bengals and Dolphins games won before the D and ST's blew them.  He'd have won the pathetic Rams game, and the 49ers game would have been in the bag going away.   The guy was benched just as the soft part of the schedule was arriving.  Take the KC game out of it, Fitzpatrick played the same last year as he did the year before if he didn't have Decker and had a harder schedule. 

If the Jets look back, it's not going to be to Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.  It will be to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

43 minutes ago, thadude said:

And what exactly does an ambassador to a friendly country like Great Britain do besides drink tea and play croquet anyway?  Are we at war with the British? 

Woody isn't stepping away.  Skype is an effective management tool.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Won't you just forfeit your PSL?  They would have to sign him to cut him.  He is a free agent.  

3 minutes ago, SAR I said:

BN-LA756_NYJETS_J_20151101193308.jpg

November 1, 2005.  The 4-2 Jets are at Oakland.  Ryan Fitzpatrick gets hurt 3 minutes into the game.  Geno Smith finally gets his shot, finally gets his starting job back.  Finally has weapons, the best weapons the Jets have had in their history as they are about to go on a 6-3 run and set a team record of 31 touchdowns while we watch Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker establish themselves as one of the best receiving tandems in the NFL.

And Geno sh*ts the bed, costing us our 11th win and a playoff berth.

Enlightened now?

SAR I

2015.  In 2005 Geno Smith was in the 8th grade. Brooks Bollinger beat the Raiders in 2005.  Cost us Reggie Bush!  Hahahaha

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

$40 food beverage credit? Is that even a dog, a popcorn and a draft? 

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Won't you just forfeit your PSL?  They would have to sign him to cut him.  He is a free agent. 

I want him signed, used as a tackling dummy, then cut.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

$40 food beverage credit? Is that even a dog, a popcorn and a draft? 

It's $40 per seat, so for me that would cover food, drink, Mrs. Fields at halftime, and Rita's at the end of the third quarter for the fam.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

News Flash:  Ryan Fitzpatrick played well enough to get us to 8 wins last year.  He was by no means a bum, certainly not a lesser alternative to Geno Smith.

Fitzpatrick, warts and all, played well enough to get us 8 wins last season.  He had the Bengals and Dolphins games won before the D and ST's blew them.  He'd have won the pathetic Rams game, and the 49ers game would have been in the bag going away.   The guy was benched just as the soft part of the schedule was arriving.  Take the KC game out of it, Fitzpatrick played the same last year as he did the year before if he didn't have Decker and had a harder schedule. 

If the Jets look back, it's not going to be to Mark Sanchez or Geno Smith.  It will be to Ryan Fitzpatrick.

SAR I

Alternative Facts

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

I want him signed, used as a tackling dummy, then cut.

It's $40 per seat, so for me that would cover food, drink, Mrs. Fields at halftime, and Rita's at the end of the third quarter for the fam.

SAR I

That's solid. Baby Crushers first job was at Rita's. He ate so much custard  and ice he was shocked when he got a paycheck too. Haha

12 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I know there are a lot of Geno Smith haters here, but let's be honest. The jets are in rebuild mode and really aren't going to be good next year. The FA market for QBs has already been disappointing with Tyrod Taylor gone and the likelihood of signing Mike Glennon all but disappearing. Smith already knows the team and will come on the cheap, and has shown some flashes in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/could-jets-end-up-settling-for-a-return-of-geno-smith-at-quarterback/

Looking more and more likely. Once again the Jets have let the big money guys go by the board - with my blessing - and are now down to a QB no one else seems to want...Geno Smith. I say throw him in the mix and may the best man win.

10 minutes ago, August said:

Alternative Facts

Ryan Fitzpatrick won 4 games.  Fact.  The Dolphins game was the reason he didn't go 8-8 as most of the NFL pundits had us.  Think back:

Ryan had come in after Geno's injury and beat the Ravens and Browns.  He had the Dolphins game won with 1 minute left before special teams blew it. 

Let's say the ST's held on and we win that game.  The Jets would be 4-5 and on a 3 game Fitzpatrick winning streak.  So he would have started the Rams game.  He wins the Rams game going away.  Petty was miserable and the Rams only scored 9 points.  We'd be 5-5 with the soft part of our schedule coming up.

Fitz would have beaten the 49ers, and Fitz in fact beat the Bills.  That's 7 Fitz wins right there for a lousy team with no Decker, no Mangold, and no Clady.  And if the D didn't blow the Bengals game, that's 8 wins for Fitzpatrick, right where we were predicted to be.

Alternative?  Perhaps.  But that's what would have happened.  Fitzpatrick wasn't our problem last year.  It was our quitting lazy defense, injuries, a soft head coach, and a bad schedule.  So let's stop playing Blame The Quarterback already.  If Fitzpatrick comes back as our last alternative, you can now understand why.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

Looking more and more likely. Once again the Jets have let the big money guys go by the board - with my blessing - and are now down to a QB no one else seems to want...Geno Smith. I say throw him in the mix and may the best man win.

What if the Jets love Mitch Trubisky and are intending to trade up to get him?

What if they think he is a Day 1 starter, and a can't-miss guy and that's the reason we aren't in the FA quarterback mix?

SAR I

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

What if the Jets love Mitch Trubisky and are intending to trade up to get him?

What if they think he is a Day 1 starter, and a can't-miss guy and that's the reason we aren't in the FA quarterback mix?

SAR I

Jets want to draft a QB high seems more likely than Jets want to resign Geno Smith.

Jets want to go with Hackenberg seems more likely than Jets want to resign Geno Smith.

Honestly, looking at all the events in re: Geno Smith and the Jets, I am hard pressed to understand or fellow fans who think Geno coming back is something likely or logical.

Had Geno acted mature and just not done as well as hoped on the field, and if the Jets under Macc didn't seem to want to replace Geno at every opportunity, maybe it would make some odd sense.

But looking at whats happened, where are folsk finding "Macc likes Geno, wants him back" as a likely thing?

Archived