Could the Jets End Up Settling for Geno Smith at QB?

Freemanm

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

They drafted him, gave him a ton of starts, survived a regime change and he played out the duration of his contract. He got a better chance than 90% of second round QB's. He just stunk.

Simple, isn't it?

SAR I

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

My argument is on point. You admit he is the worst option out there yet in a previous post say he is the best option out there. You even say it in the same sentence as outlined in bold above. Which is it? You're all over the place and have yet to comprehend that you just contradicted yourself. He is not better than any QB on the roster because we don't know what Hack can do and Petty is irrelevant. The indisputable facts are simply these:

1. Geno"friggin"Smith tore an ACL. An injury that takes at least a year to properly heal. He will not be ready for training camp and will not be 100% by the time the season starts.

2. Geno"friggin"Smith has a negative history with the Jets and has suspect leadership and character issue's. Not to mention a complete lack of maturity as evidenced by his actions on AND off the field.

3. Geno"friggin"Smith has never shown one iota of progress and is a liability in the locker room, on the sidelines and on the field. His behavior is exactly the type you don't want to have on a team that will be considerably younger when the season starts.

You have never acknowledged these facts about his character and inexplicably sweep them under the rug. You have done this time and time again when we have had these debates in these pages and in other threads. Too top it all off you still want to throw the 5 mil or so it will take of precious cap space to sign this injured little child to be the starting QB of the New York Jets. A guy who had the position LOCKED UP and threw it away because he was just plain stupid. So STFU about how this guy is the best option out there because you are clearly influenced by your misplaced admiration for a guy who has done nothing to earn it.

Petty is irrelevant to me. He has as much chance as starting as you OR Geno"friggin"Smith does.

Like I stated, the argument is long and nuanced

Just now, Jetdawgg said:

Like I stated, the argument is long and nuanced

Ample chances, failed each time.

The argument is short and basic. 

If the 5 of you MyHero's would just call it a day already it would make the world a better place.

SAR I

1 hour ago, Mike135 said:

SNY crew thinks Geno is the best bet.  Lucas went as far as saying Geno is twice as good as Glennon, but also that if he was Geno, he wouldn't come back to the Jets after the way he was treated here.

I agree, but am hoping Geno is the bigger man and decides to come back.

Funniest post I've read in ages.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

You'd rather have Fitz back.  The guy who is coming off such a disgusting performance that he's not even being mentioned (good or bad) by anyone, anywhere.

While Fitz at his worst is still better than Geno at his average, no my friend, I (for one) do NOT want Fitz back. Not At all.  Not At any price or term.

I want Petty and Hack back, and both competing to start.  And I want the Jets to draft another QB, this year, or next, as circumstances warrant.

I do not want recycled failures, castoffs of placeholder veteran JAG's.  And I certainly don't want, nor expect Macc to want, Geno "Out of the League by 2018" Smith.

He's not coming back.  

2 minutes ago, Warfish said:

While Fitz at his worst is still better than Geno at his average, no my friend, I (for one) do NOT want Fitz back. Not At all.  Not At any price or term.

I want Petty and Hack back, and both competing to start.  And I want the Jets to draft another QB, this year, or next, as circumstances warrant.

I do not want recycled failures, castoffs of placeholder veteran JAG's.  And I certainly don't want, nor expect Macc to want, Geno "Out of the League by 2018" Smith.

He's not coming back.  

This is reasonable enough but we know the Jets are not going into the season with Bryce Petty and his 3 games as the most experienced QB.  Can you name a team in the history of the league who has ever done that?

With that being the case who is left?  Who is worth bringing in here that has enjoyed even a modicum of success and played more than 12 quarters?  We know they can NOT sign Cutler under any circumstances and Barkley and McGloin are a waste of time. 

No one is saying sign Geno to a multi year contract.  I'm sure he'd be amenable to a 1 year prove it type deal.  That would allow us to at least have a QB with a decent amount of experience while not jeopardizing any long term outlook.  It's a win win.  If he is as terrible as you say then we get this Darnold character.  It's pretty obvious the Jets don't view Petty as anything more than a potential backup and they don't think Hack will be ready.

So who do they sign?

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Problem is, in a stadium that holds 82,500 people you're talking about 82,400 people quitting on the team. Can't happen. 

What I find hysterical is that the same people Jonesing Geno Smith to this degree are the ones who ran Mark Sanchez out of town and spit on Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Meanwhile, those two guys accomplished more than Geno Smith ever did.  4 playoff wins, an 11-5 season, 60 minutes from the Super Bowl twice, get rid of him. 10 wins on the heels of the John Idzik catastrophe and 31 touchdowns, get rid of him.  2 atrocious seasons followed by Twitter assassinations, dick pics, media boycotts, $600 ransoms, and delusions of grandeur, have to have him oh my God just have to have him. 

SAR I 

Mark was awesome.  Fitz is a POS.

11 minutes ago, Pac said:

This is reasonable enough but we know the Jets are not going into the season with Bryce Petty and his 3 games as the most experienced QB.  Can you name a team in the history of the league who has ever done that?

With that being the case who is left?  Who is worth bringing in here that has enjoyed even a modicum of success and played more than 12 quarters?  We know they can NOT sign Cutler under any circumstances and Barkley and McGloin are a waste of time. 

No one is saying sign Geno to a multi year contract.  I'm sure he'd be amenable to a 1 year prove it type deal.  That would allow us to at least have a QB with a decent amount of experience while not jeopardizing any long term outlook.  It's a win win.  If he is as terrible as you say then we get this Darnold character.  It's pretty obvious the Jets don't view Petty as anything more than a potential backup and they don't think Hack will be ready.

So who do they sign?

Exactly, a veteran quarterback with experience who also has some semblance of upside to come in and compete with Petty and Hackenberg. It's only bad in their minds because it's Geno. They're not going into the season with only the aforementioned two QB's so if they have to bring in another guy why not Smith? 

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

They drafted him, gave him a ton of starts, survived a regime change and he played out the duration of his contract. He got a better chance than 90% of second round QB's. He just stunk.

I didn't say it.  Ray Lucas did.  

I know guys here know more than an ex-NFL QB.  I was just relaying what he said for the fun of it.

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

To be clear, I don't want either quarterback to return.

But if only one of them is coming back, damn right I want it to be Ryan Fitzpatrick. He sucks, but he is significantly better than Geno Smith. 

As far as the pulse of the average Jets fan, I'm not sure if you are a season ticket holder but in my section there are over 1000 Jets fans and we start booing the guy from the opening gun and can't stop saying awful things about him. I've never seen Jets fans turn on a guy like this since Neil O'Donnell.

SAR I

Macc had a plan.  He would sign Fitz for a 3 year deal, 16mm guaranteed.  I believe it was like 8, 4, 4, with the expectation that he would start year 1 and then backup.  There were escalators for playing time above that.  It was a very fair contract.

Fitz held out and did not appear to practice or train.  He missed OTAs.  He basically made a 12mm one year bet on himself.  He may have lost that bet.  He played terrribly, partially because he regressed to the mean and the other teams watched the Fitz to Marshall Tape (and Decker got hurt), and partially because he did not practice or train as he should have.

So, I believed and continue to believe that Fitz would be a great bridge to a real QB and be the guy who steps up if Hack and Petty fail and ensure that the ball is snapped a couple of hundred times so they can Just End The Season and pick high in next year's draft.    But I think he has burned the bridge at the Jets, unfortunately.  He may be PNG in the entire NFL, like Revis may be.  Nice culture they are creating there.  

Geno Smith has 2 enormous problems:  

1) His injury creates another Fitz, and he will not be ready to practice and play with the new coach/players.  He is basically worthless in 2017.  All the real work gets done in the off season.

2)  Idzik and Bradway missed the psych evaluation of him.    People talk about him like he has a substance or violence problem.  He is actually very well behaved.  He is just an idiot.  He is too dumb to play professional QB, or at least start.  He is just an idiot who cannot lead, connect or get along with real people.   That is supposed to get picked up at the Combine.   He should spend some time in mental and physical rehab, sign to somebody's IR and work for the future.

I am with SAR I on Sanchez.  Yes, he was (and probably is) immature and not the brightest bulb either (a Tanny/Bradway problem).  I don't care how good the Defense, OL or RBs are.  Not any QB can take you to 2 consecutive AFCCG's.  He had something and he deserves respect and credit.  

Bring him home, throw him a parade, and let him work along side the 2 and likely 3 QBs.  You can go home again.

9 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

I wouldn't be angry if Mark was the vet. F it. But I'm not trading for him either

G-D no. Isn't he a FA.  

The Texans have set the standard for paying for salary cap relief.  That is the discussion they are having over SR.

On 3/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, Freemanm said:

I know there are a lot of Geno Smith haters here, but let's be honest. The jets are in rebuild mode and really aren't going to be good next year. The FA market for QBs has already been disappointing with Tyrod Taylor gone and the likelihood of signing Mike Glennon all but disappearing. Smith already knows the team and will come on the cheap, and has shown some flashes in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/could-jets-end-up-settling-for-a-return-of-geno-smith-at-quarterback/

Geno knows nothing about this OC's sysetem plus his knee isn't said to be ready until September. Geno trolls, time to go away

On 3/8/2017 at 10:59 PM, August said:

1. What does Geno do for us that Petty/Hack does not?

Nothing except better a quarterback than them?

2. Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

Because we need a veteran quarterback and he'll be cost efficient. Plus he has some upside.

3. By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

who cares

Geno blows. **** sake let him go already

6 minutes ago, August said:

Is this all you got?

It is all that is needed. If your kids life was on the line based on geno' s play you would ask for another option because all geno does is SH!T THE BED. 

i will Not Argue this anymore. 

5 hours ago, Stark said:

It is all that is needed. If your kids life was on the line based on geno' s play you would ask for another option because all geno does is SH!T THE BED. 

i will Not Argue this anymore. 

My kids life would be safe based on his last 6 or so games. 

9 hours ago, Pac said:

I reject this logic frankly.  The GM should do what is best for the Championship winning future of the Franchise.  This year, that is avoiding the pitfall of temporary fleeting minor glory (an extra win in what looks like a 4-5 win season), and stay the course on building and drafting QB's.  

Just because going without so-called experience (even if all that experience is is experience of mediocrity and failure) is uncommon, it does not make it wrong.

Wrong is doing the same foolish things we've always done, shove a worn-out veteran on the downside, or a failed younger "veteran" from wlsewhere, in to try and short-term plug the position.

9 hours ago, Pac said:

The implication being you believe Geno Smith has had success.  He hasn't.  Again, lets look at the single most common Geno Fan complaint about Fitz last offseason:  no one else is remotely interested in him.  Well, you simply cannot have it both ways.  The complete and utter lack of interest in Geno Smith, who is as some say cheap and available, shows what the league thinks of him.  And it isn't much.  I'm not being sarcastic when I say the odds are Geno is out of the NFL completely by 2018.

9 hours ago, Pac said:

No one is saying sign Geno to a multi year contract.  I'm sure he'd be amenable to a 1 year prove it type deal.

Ask yourself why that is.  Why would a guy who so clearly was not liked here, by the front office or the fans, want to sign a security-lacking 1 year deal for the very team his few fans say "mistreated" him, and for whom he is generally and widely considered a bust draft and failure?

9 hours ago, Pac said:

That would allow us to at least have a QB with a decent amount of experience while not jeopardizing any long term outlook.  It's a win win.

No, it's not.  Any snap Geno takes is a wasted snap for the future of this franchise, same way any snap Culter might take here would be a wasted snap for the future of this franchise.  

The only forward gain the Jets can make at QB in 2017 is to play the crap out of whatever young kids they think are best, Hackenberg, Petty (maybe), Watson/Trubisky if they like them, etc.  Playing Geno, in year 5 of his flagging NFL career, does what?  Most certainly nothing for us going forward.

I get it, Geno fans still truly believe it wasn't Geno.  it was every other thing, but no Geno.  And if only we give Geno a "fair chance" with "weapons", he'll be great and prove all his "haters" wrong.  smh

9 hours ago, Pac said:

If he is as terrible as you say then we get this Darnold character.

It's not about Terrible.  It's about building for a future.  

9 hours ago, Pac said:

So who do they sign?

If they're smart, no one.  They're not smart, and we have goodly cap space, so I expect we waste money on some veteran old man.

But be assured, it will not be Geno Smith.

On 3/9/2017 at 10:05 AM, JetFaninMI said:

He questioned the guys manhood in front of the whole team. That's maturity? That's leadership? This waS all about maturity.  Whats 600 bucks to Geno"friggin"Smith? IK was a fringe player and Geno was a 2nd round draft pick still on his rookie deal. So 600 bucks to IK is a big deal. This was about Geno"friggin"Smiths attitude. He basically told the guy there's nothing you can do about it. Well he did do something about it and if Geno had showed a even a little maturity and had an ounce of character sh*tz maybe never even see's the field. He had it all in his hand and blew it over 600 bucks. Just because his ego dictated that he was Geno"friggin"Smith and screw this guy. Well Geno found out and let the team down and the team is still feeling the repercussions of it.

Gene should be a lesson to others.  He could have gotten a big fat contract but gave it up for 400 bucks.  now he's going to have a tough time getting a decent contract. 

Archived