Could the Jets End Up Settling for Geno Smith at QB?

Freemanm

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

What does Geno do for us that Petty/Hack does not?

Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

If you can answer that, maybe you'll answer your own OP.

By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

1. What does Geno do for us that Petty/Hack does not?

Nothing except better a quarterback than them?

2. Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

Because we need a veteran quarterback and he'll be cost efficient. Plus he has some upside.

3. By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

who cares

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Pac said:

Actually I said if you think he's not a better option than Barkley or McGloin you're nuts. 

And yes.  I'm saying that as of this moment, with the way the QB landscape looks, Geno Cyril Smith is the best option.  He's not a RB so that ACL isn't that huge of a factor.  The team has the benefit of knowing exactly how he's progressing with his rehab.

Geno has shown more potential and upside than Barkley and McGloin. 

2 hours ago, August said:

1. What does Geno do for us that Petty/Hack does not?

Nothing except better a quarterback than them?

2. Why would Macc choose someone elses guy (Geno) over his own two guys (Petty/Hack)?

Because we need a veteran quarterback and he'll be cost efficient. Plus he has some upside.

3. By the way, does it say something to you that in one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time.......there isn't a hint of a peep of interest anywhere int he NFL for Geno Smith?

who cares

Geno > Petty/Hack

So?  Even Tim friggin Tebow is

If you are an NFL GM who inherits a guy who is coming off of back-to-back "worst starting QB in the NFL" awards, and the best you can do after THREE off-seasons is to bring that same guy back, you have failed.

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

This.

What many on JN don't understand is that its easy to sell season ticket holders the Hackenberg / Petty narrative as we're anxious to see if one of these kids has some ability.

Romo?  Cutler?  We don't want another guy with Favre's arm and Pennington's durability, we've seen that with Esiason, Reich, Testaverde, Favre, Vick, and all the other has-been geezers we've trotted out over the years.  No thanks.

Geno?  Might as well put Fitzpatrick and Sanchez up there.  We don't want to go backwards with guys who already had their 2+ seasons to make a dent and couldn't.

So if we can't get a blue-chip free agent, no settling, give us Christian and Bryce, let's learn something.

SAR I

This post is a goddamn insult to Mark Brunell. 

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

ACL?  No.  He's damaged goods.  Self-inflicted.

The reason that neither Ryan Fitzpatrick or Geno Smith has been mentioned is because the talk is about starting quarterbacks, not known backups.  The shocker about Geno is that he's still young, he should be talked up.  And yet, silence.

SAR I

my feelings exactly.  it's not the acl it all about his attitude and the way he was a cancer last season. let's hope sheldon and pryor aren't seen in the same light.

imho the jets are going to draft another qb and also sign some second teir guy like tj yates to bring into training camp.  maybe they won't draft the guy in the top two or three rounds but it's easy to see one in rounds 4-7.  i guess there's a chance they trade sheldon for a guy like mccarron but the overall goal is to get hack in there.

geno?  it's best for him to go elsewhere like tampa or miami.  he and tannenhill can discuss how their attitudes are so great and can't understand why their team mates dislike them.

I would be ok with resigning Geno under normal circumstances but he's injured.  It would be another Fitzpatrick situation where Geno sits out all training camp and then by the time he's healed and ready to go the regular season would be about to begin.  Hackenberg and Petty who took all of the reps in camp will end up sitting down to let Geno play.  That doesn't work and the reason why it works even less than last year is at least Fitzpatrick knew the system.  This is a brand new system, Geno can't sit out all of training camp and them come in and run a west coast offense that he's never played in before.  

I was a Geno guy last year but it just doesn't make sense this time.  Not unless i don't know something and Geno will be ready to go by camp.

8 hours ago, Pac said:

the whole torn ACL thing might be a part of that, no?

the sad thing is despite this being one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time your hero Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't been mentioned by anyone, anywhere, in about a month.

No

7 hours ago, Pac said:

From the tone of your posts I assume you're an advocate of this "suck for sam" nonsense going around.

If so then why wouldn't you want the worst QB ever in Geno to be signed?  That all but guarantees an 0-16 season, right?

Geno is talented enough to eek out 2-3 more wins then Petty, and go 4-12 and keep us away from a real QB. What good does that do? 

Lets go 1-15, we can drink White Russians all game, every game, and then we'll get us a real QB named Sam next year, you in?

8 hours ago, Pac said:

Actually I said if you think he's not a better option than Barkley or McGloin you're nuts. 

And yes.  I'm saying that as of this moment, with the way the QB landscape looks, Geno Cyril Smith is the best option.  He's not a RB so that ACL isn't that huge of a factor.  The team has the benefit of knowing exactly how he's progressing with his rehab.

How exactly do they know that? Geno"friggin"Smith is a FA. He is not in the off-season program and couldn't take part in it if He was. The ACL isn't a huge factor? It takes about a year or so for you to recover from a torn ACL. So chances are Geno"friggin"Smith will not even be ready to play to start the season. Yet you think he is the best option. Lets give 5 mil a season to guy who probably won't be ready to play so you have to start Petty or Hack until he is. Oh and what if Hack or Petty play well? You think Geno"friggin"Smith is going to be a team player and sit on the sidelines and not stir the sh*t? Come on. The guy had his chance and blew it. He didn't lose his job because of injury he lost his job for being an a-hole. Questionable character and leadership are not the things you want in your QB when your rebuilding with young impressionable players. That's why Geno"friggin"Smith is not now the answer, has never been the answer and never will be the answer even in a stop gap situation.

9 hours ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Been saying it for a while..

geno has never got a fair shake with us, his best receiver before Todd Bowles era was Jeremy freakin kerley lol, then he gets hurt against the ravens (which he went 4-8 for 95 yards and TD)

Although he deservedly got his jaw broken, he was supposed to be the starter in 2015...NOBODY and I mean NOBODY thought fitz was going to have an all time career year..there's literally nothing anyone could say that would prove geno couldn't have had a similar year as fitz in 2015.

lets not forget, he went 8-8 as a rookie and everybody thought we were gonna be a clown show that year too..

I'd much rather pay geno a 1 year deal that he has earned based on his career than bring in a equally average backup veteran QB on max money who hasn't earned a dime

Smith has no one to blame but himself. He had the starter's gig all locked up on an NFL Team. What did he do? He threw it all away over a stupid bet. Granted no one knew sh*tz was gonna play like he did but Geno"friggin"Smith's immaturity and attitude cost him his job nothing else. Can a guy change? Sure. Smith has shown nothing to that effect. You want proof? Just search the 'net on him. Geno"friggin"Smith will probably get a back-up job somewhere but he is not the guy you want around young guys just coming into the league.

10 hours ago, Pac said:

the whole torn ACL thing might be a part of that, no?

the sad thing is despite this being one of the weakest FA QB classes in some time your hero Ryan Fitzpatrick hasn't been mentioned by anyone, anywhere, in about a month.

No... its the QBing thing

9 hours ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

Been saying it for a while..

geno has never got a fair shake with us, his best receiver before Todd Bowles era was Jeremy freakin kerley lol, then he gets hurt against the ravens (which he went 4-8 for 95 yards and TD)

Although he deservedly got his jaw broken, he was supposed to be the starter in 2015...NOBODY and I mean NOBODY thought fitz was going to have an all time career year..there's literally nothing anyone could say that would prove geno couldn't have had a similar year as fitz in 2015.

lets not forget, he went 8-8 as a rookie and everybody thought we were gonna be a clown show that year too..

I'd much rather pay geno a 1 year deal that he has earned based on his career than bring in a equally average backup veteran QB on max money who hasn't earned a dime

Geno went 4-8 for 95 yards of which one was a shallow cross that went for 75 yards on a busted play by the secondary.

Geno has been given every opportunity in the world, he has all the physical talent in the world, but he is a complete dickhead, and not good at football. Geno gets you 2-3 more wins above a Petty, its completely pointless, and counter productive. If we are going to suck, lets really suck and get a Darnold or Rosen out of it. Rather than suck and get a 6th pick from it again. Its time to stop the insanity. Stop signing guys like Geno, Fitzpatrick, stop trying to get guys like Hoyer or Mallet. If you can get Cousins, fine, if you love Glennon, fine, but stop the insanity with this BS of these proven awful sh*t show QB's.

10 hours ago, Freemanm said:

I know there are a lot of Geno Smith haters here, but let's be honest. The jets are in rebuild mode and really aren't going to be good next year. The FA market for QBs has already been disappointing with Tyrod Taylor gone and the likelihood of signing Mike Glennon all but disappearing. Smith already knows the team and will come on the cheap, and has shown some flashes in the past.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/03/08/could-jets-end-up-settling-for-a-return-of-geno-smith-at-quarterback/

If this was the case Todd Bowles would already declared him the starter. Why wait till he is signed?

4 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Geno went 4-8 for 95 yards of which one was a shallow cross that went for 75 yards on a busted play by the secondary.

Geno has been given every opportunity in the world, he has all the physical talent in the world, but he is a complete dickhead, and not good at football. Geno gets you 2-3 more wins above a Petty, its completely pointless, and counter productive. If we are going to suck, lets really suck and get a Darnold or Rosen out of it. Rather than suck and get a 6th pick from it again. Its time to stop the insanity. Stop signing guys like Geno, Fitzpatrick, stop trying to get guys like Hoyer or Mallet. If you can get Cousins, fine, if you love Glennon, fine, but stop the insanity with this BS of these proven awful sh*t show QB's.

so it's geno's fault that he threw a pass that went for extra YAC?

And I'm nowhere near a fan of geno...but please enlighten me on the opportunities he's gotten with a decent group of weapons?

As a long term and justifiably so Smith skeptic, it may surprise that I am more or less indifferent to the notion propounded by the OP.  There is some upside.  If he's back it would make it much easier to find something better to do with my Fall Sundays than watch the putrid Jets, as that is what they would be if he came back.  In a word, unwatchable.

3 minutes ago, Gee Andrezzi said:

so it's geno's fault that he threw a pass that went for extra YAC?

And I'm nowhere near a fan of geno...but please enlighten me on the opportunities he's gotten with a decent group of weapons?

Geno Smith fans are the most logical humans on Earth.

4 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

What in the last two years about the way Geno has been treated or utilized makes you think that this regime wants anything to do with him? I wouldn't watch a single game. 

By playing someone else who was playing well at the time, and then chasing said player because he was coming off a good season, and they were scared of the backlash had they let him walk is an indictment on him, or how the organization feel about him? Even though this regime named him the starter in '15 and then went back to him after Fitz blew his millionth chance?

18 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Smith has no one to blame but himself. He had the starter's gig all locked up on an NFL Team. What did he do? He threw it all away over a stupid bet. Granted no one knew sh*tz was gonna play like he did but Geno"friggin"Smith's immaturity and attitude cost him his job nothing else. Can a guy change? Sure. Smith has shown nothing to that effect. You want proof? Just search the 'net on him. Geno"friggin"Smith will probably get a back-up job somewhere but he is not the guy you want around young guys just coming into the league.

Again, I'm nowhere near advocating for geno or a diehard fan of him...

Though he definitely deserved a broken jaw for what he did..but was he really the immature one? IK could have easily went to Bowles and discussed the situation and got it handled. And Over $600? Practice team players are getting paid at least $75k no doubt, so IK had to be making a good check. Geno got punched for being a straight up idiot not for immaturity.

but that's neither here or there...I'm talking on field opportunities.

Think about this...if geno was playing exactly as bad as Fitz so far this season do you think he would've still been named the starter through the ravens game? Noooo way, so I don't blame geno for having throwing a tantrum on the sideline.

3 minutes ago, August said:

By playing someone else who was playing well at the time, and then chasing said player because he was coming off a good season, and they were scared of the backlash had they let him walk is an indictment on him, or how the organization feel about him? 

If they had any sort of faith in Geno he would have gotten the job back from Fitz when he was healthy or they could have let Fitz walk last offseason and go with Geno. What people fail to realize is how much of a headache this guy is on and off the field. 

9 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yes he did. 

As far as I remember, Bowles only said "we want fitz back, I hope we get a deal done asap"......

how does that translate to "he's the starter even though he's not here"???

bowles can say the same thing about geno now it doesn't mean he actually wants geno...that's called PC

Archived