Trade Down Possibility

KRL

WAS could be really hungry to move up because they just lost both of their starting WR's
(Jackson & Garcon) to free agency.  With Cousins still there they will need to get him
a big time WR, so they may be very interested in coming up to take Mike Williams or
Corey Davis on draft night

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, KRL said:

WAS could be really hungry to move up because they just lost both of their starting WR's
(Jackson & Garcon) to free agency.  With Cousins still there they will need to get him
a big time WR, so they may be very interested in coming up to take Mike Williams or
Corey Davis on draft night

It would take their whole draft to trade up from where they are to our ick and a 1st next year  .  Still Interested  ?

3 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

It would take their whole draft to trade up from where they are to our ick and a 1st next year  .  Still Interested  ?

Yes I'm still interested.  It seems like we are finally committed to a proper rebuild and we need one of those

"Herschel Walker" type trades to re-stock the picks we've given away in the past

1 minute ago, KRL said:

Yes I'm still interested.  It seems like we are finally committed to a proper rebuild and we need one of those

"Herschel Walker" type trades to re-stock the picks we've given away in the past

That's the Jets perspective, I was wondering if you were still interested from a Washington Perspective .

1 minute ago, ScarletKnight89 said:

I kinda want the Jets to take Mike Williams... I doubt they are going in that direction though.

If the Jets stay at 6, they're probably taking either Watson or Trubisky . If they trade down, I think the apple of their eye is going to be a LT, whoever they like the best . 

46 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

If the Jets stay at 6, they're probably taking either Watson or Trubisky . If they trade down, I think the apple of their eye is going to be a LT, whoever they like the best . 

I heard Trubisky is still a possibility for the bears. I like him, but he only started one season so that's a concern obviously. Watson I'd be fine with in round 2. Unfortunately, there really isn't a LT worthy of being drafted 6th overall. So trading down to take one does make sense.

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I'd be content with some picks now plus next year's 1st rounder.  Really... the more early picks we have in 2018, the better the chance of getting a potential franchise QB in next year's draft class.

If it was wash and we were getting only picks for this year it would be in the range of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd for our 1st.  And that would be a bit of a deal for Wash.  Teams don;t usually like to blow all of their top picks in the draft so we would most likely looking at a pick from nest year and some picks this year. 

35 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

If it was wash and we were getting only picks for this year it would be in the range of their 1st, 2nd and 3rd for our 1st.  And that would be a bit of a deal for Wash.  Teams don;t usually like to blow all of their top picks in the draft so we would most likely looking at a pick from nest year and some picks this year. 

Based on the good ol' "draft value" charts,  something I've always thought was moronic BTW, moving up to 6 from 17 should cost them 650 "points".  Their 2nd and 3rd rounders  (pick #17 in each round) add up to 595 points.  So relying on the dumb value charts (as many teams seem to do because the numbers come close to matching the chart on so many trades) it might cost them even more than their 2nd and 3rd.  ugh.

2 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Based on the good ol' "draft value" charts,  something I've always thought was moronic BTW, moving up to 6 from 17 should cost them 650 "points".  Their 2nd and 3rd rounders  (pick #17 in each round) add up to 595 points.  So relying on the dumb value charts (as many teams seem to do because the numbers come close to matching the chart on so many trades) it might cost them even more than their 2nd and 3rd.  ugh.

What do you have against the draft chart?  I don't know that any of them are particularly accurate, but every front office should have a value on  picks by round and be able to define what they consider a value to move up or down. How else can you do it?  Just decide that the first pick in the 2nd round is worth the same as the last?  

6 minutes ago, Dcat said:

Like it or not teams use them, if there is an exceptional player then things go out the window but teams use them as some kind of general base because most trades come pretty close to the established chart.  In the end a trade costs what you are willing to pay for a player but the charts are used.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

What do you have against the draft chart?  I don't know that any of them are particularly accurate, but every front office should have a value on  picks by round and be able to define what they consider a value to move up or down. How else can you do it?  Just decide that the first pick in the 2nd round is worth the same as the last?  

I don't have a viable alternative, but I've always wondered just how those values were created.  Were they created based on the data from past trades?  Or just some dude's arbitrary valuation?  Just curious and yes, I agree that there has to be some sort of valuation system, but how did they come up with  the idea, say for example, that moving up to #6 from #17, 11 spots in round 1, is worth more than the the other team's 2nd + 3rd rounders?  WHo set the numbers?  How were the values calculated when the chart was created (probably well before the days of free agency)?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696790-matt-millers-scouting-notebook-buzz-on-every-nfl-team-as-free-agency-begins?utm_campaign=tsiphone&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=twitter.com

New York Jets: Don't rule out a quarterback at pick No. 6. Word has it the team likes two of them and will go with the best-player-available approach again in Round 1.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

When was the last time the NY Jets traded down in the first? 

Parcell's did it and screwed it up.  Gave up perennial Pro Bowler - Orlando Pace for a Farrior and pocket full of scrubs.

2 minutes ago, dcJet said:

Parcell's did it and screwed it up.  Gave up perennial Pro Bowler - Orlando Pace for a Farrior and pocket full of scrubs.

No "draft chart" for that trade either.  I think he traded down to 6 or 8 and only got back 3rd, 4th and maybe a 7th extra picks.

12 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I don't have a viable alternative, but I've always wondered just how those values were created.  Were they created based on the data from past trades?  Or just some dude's arbitrary valuation?  Just curious and yes, I agree that there has to be some sort of valuation system, but how did they come up with  the idea, say for example, that moving up to #6 from #17, 11 spots in round 1, is worth more than the the other team's 2nd + 3rd rounders?  WHo set the numbers?  How were the values calculated when the chart was created (probably well before the days of free agency)?

I think that the value on the charts has changed over the years, in particular with the salary slotting.  The charts are not consistent.  I think somebody leaked a team's old one at one point, and others were made up by internet geeks based upon past trades and likelihood of success of certain picks.  I don't think many GMs blindly follow an internet draft chart.  They probably all have their own, but you aren't going to advertise yours and the value you place on a particular player you may be totally in love with  - say Brett Favre in the 2nd or Shell last year.  You are going to refer to whatever is public to get the best deal you can.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

There's probably 25-26 scenarios where a trade down in the first round is possible.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

With about 250 different scenarios within those 26 scenarios 

Technically, there are only 26 draft picks after #6 overall. Subtract the Patriots, and you get 25 slots. I didn't think my smartass quip needed to be expounded upon beyond that. :)

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Technically, there are only 26 draft picks after #6 overall. Subtract the Patriots, and you get 25 slots. I didn't think my smartass quip needed to be expounded upon beyond that. :)

But it did. It's probably more like 65,000 different scenarios. But then my head starts hurting.

And we cant forget this...

"2005 — Less fondly remembered was the tradedown a dozen years ago. The Jets sat at No. 26 after their 2004 playoff run and didn't like the neighborhood so much. Oakland was en route to moving on up to No. 23 for CB Fabian Washington. The Jets gave up their 1 and 7 for the Raiders' 2, which they used to pick K Mike Nugent, and two sixth-rounders, one of which they spent on RB Cedric Houston. Also included in the deal was veteran TE Doug Jolley, who stayed only for the '05 season."

Archived