Robbie Anderson - Starting potential down the line or should we look at the draft?

Lil Woody

NE drafted Malcolm Mitchell WR same year we drafted Robbie Anderson........ 
hi-res-66eadecf8f3e3033dbea0046dbfb0ad8_crop_north.jpg?1473286867&w=630&h=420
dolphins_jets_football.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

Good point though they drafted him We found Robbie as a udfa their stats are similar though I believe Mitchell saw more time on the field

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Robbie is a fantastic find, he's just to slightly built to be a #1.

He's the burner Devin Smith was drafted to be. Love a trade down and draft OJ Howard.

AJ green was just frail coming out of college. He's still pretty thin. 

I'm not ready to proclaim the kid a #1 wr, but I'm not ready to rule it out yet either. I'm excited to see his development heading into next year.

23 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

AJ green was just frail coming out of college. He's still pretty thin. 

I'm not ready to proclaim the kid a #1 wr, but I'm not ready to rule it out yet either. I'm excited to see his development heading into next year.

I'm not writing him off either.  I'd love to see him exceed all expectations, but this is a message board and we mainly sit around creating projections about players/teams/coaching etc... I'm just curious what people value him as? If he can refine his routes, bulk up, retain his speed, and get immersed into the minutia of the position, his speed alone could make him a special player.....Galloway perhaps?  But I can only go on what I see, he doesn't look like anything more than a role player to me at this point in time.

18 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Robbie Anderson is 6'3" 200 lbs Antonio Brown is 5'10" 184 lbs Would anyone call Brown a #1 receiver ? Anderson has some rowing up to do as a receiver, but I look at that kid and I see Marvin Harrison.

Big shoes to fill there. Lets see what he does before we make those kinds of comparisons. You know a thread like this will pop up mid season with the title ANDERSON SUCKS and Mac is an idiot for drafting him. I am optimistic about his future but am willing to give him a break and not expect him to lead the league in receptions with an unproven QB under center.

20 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Agreed except that in no way is Enunwa a #1.  He's basically a younger, stronger, more durable Decker.

If we were to draft Williams, think he'd become our #1 in a matter of weeks.  Not saying he'd be our best WR that quickly, but he'd play the #1 role.

I don't know, I was rather surprised by Enunwa's sudden break away speed that he has demonstrated from time to time and his game DID step up in '16. 

Example - 69 yard break away TD.  Tell me that is NOT a #1WR play. He's shown flashes of that break away burst.

I would NOT have said this after his rookie & sophomore "stone hands" season, but he has shown every quality - mentally & physically, including blocking, to be a #1 WR. 

If you think Anquan Boldin is not a #1WR when he was in his prime, then you don't think Quincy Enunwa can be a #1 WR because, to me, he can develop to be Anquan Boldin reincarnate. 

20 hours ago, KRL said:

Anderson has a lot to prove but I believe you are underestimating him.  The QB play last year
was beyond brutal, there were countless times Anderson destroyed the CB that was guarding him
and Fitzpatrick underthrew or missed him.  He could've had at least six long TD's if Fitzpatrick
didn't stink.  He has to improve his body/strength (because he looks like a pencil) but even
at his weight last year he was impressive in the way he fought & "high pointed" throws.  If
he continues to improve he could be what Stephen Hill should've been 

I agree wholeheartedly. He was consistently getting by his defender, but he's a one-trick pony at this point of his young career. I like the kid and am rooting for him, but I see him as a Speed demon Slot #3 WR - a TALLER Dedric Ward AT BEST. Opposing defenses will add a safety to cover and take away the deep route and Anderson is now rendered ineffective. He has to develop his route running. He is always easily over-powered by aggressive CBs and acquiesces to them on jump balls leading to INTs. He MUST develop more core strength as we see how easily he can get knocked and cough up the ball. I don't trust him to hold onto the ball on a hook or slant route if the DB is able to make solid contact He's good, but he' not a #1 -THUS UDFA -  and as others stated, he's a GREAT COMPLIMENTARY WR in an arsenal of a balanced passing attack. 

18 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Robbie Anderson is 6'3" 200 lbs Antonio Brown is 5'10" 184 lbs Would anyone call Brown a #1 receiver ? Anderson has some growing up to do as a receiver, but I look at that kid and I see Marvin Harrison.

That's a VERY bold statement. Harrison wasn't the biggest WR, but he was savvy and tough. Anderson has NOT demonstrated he can hold onto the ball after a good pop. He MUST gain weight or he's just another deep route 1 dimensional guy. 

4 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Enunwa will probably never be a solid 1 or 2 type receiver he is simply too valuable with blocking. 

:blink: So? You're telling me a COMPETENT coaching staff would rather restrict a young ascending player from taking the #1 or #2 WR spot because HE BLOCKS TOO WELL so let him sit at #4 on the depth chart!?!?!!??!!?  

Great BLOCKING is what got Anquan Boldin on the field as a rookie and he NATURALLY ASCENDED, like Enunwa may, to be a #1WR.

I think most of the Jets roster is crap.  Robbie is one of the very few I am excited about.  I think his ceiling is much higher than many of you. 

If there was a draft do-over, I believe Robbie Anderson would be the 5th or 6th WR drafted, probably a 3rd round pick....

anderson looks like he has some talent and so does peake.  do either player scare the defenses like a brandon marshall? doubtful.  both of these guys need to find their stride.  hopefully the jet qb, probably hack, will learn how to throw to these guys.  a wr corp of decker, enunwa, smith, anderson and peake is not that bad. if you can't have a true no. 1 receiver to scare defenses then 4 good guys is the next best thing.

My bad my point is Mitchell is better. 

Maybe. Their stats were pretty similar...one had Brady other had Fitzpatrick and petty...guess time will tell. There have been some young pat recievers in recent history who looked pretty decent then fell off a cliff their second year.

:blink: So? You're telling me a COMPETENT coaching staff would rather restrict a young ascending player from taking the #1 or #2 WR spot because HE BLOCKS TOO WELL so let him sit at #4 on the depth chart!?!?!!??!!?  

Great BLOCKING is what got Anquan Boldin on the field as a rookie and he NATURALLY ASCENDED, like Enunwa may, to be a #1WR.

What I'm saying is that a good coaching staff plays to a players strength. Enunwa is not going to be the elite down the feild receiver that fights for 50-50 balls he is going to be the guy who blocks so your number one and two guys can make plays or so you can establish the run game and occasionally surprises you with a big play down the field but more often he is blocking and catching the ball for short gains which of course is still an important job.

Enunwa is not going to be the elite down the feild receiver that fights for 50-50 balls

Really? 

Enunwa Jump Ball TD vs. Pats for the Lead in 4th Qtr.

or

Enunwa makes an 8 yard curl route into 69 yard TD vs. Balt.

Enunwa has shown he can be a force in a game, thus a #1WR: Enunwa highlights vs. Pats

he is going to be the guy who blocks so your number one and two guys can make plays or so you can establish the run game and occasionally surprises you with a big play down the field but more often he is blocking and catching the ball for short gains which of course is still an important job.

Look at the links above and you see, as did I in every home game the last 3 years he's played, that Enunwa CAN POSSIBLY develop into a #1WR if he continues to progress and improve his game at the rate he has shown so far. He was deceptive speed and can break away from LBs, slower DBs, and safties. Enunwa at 6'2" can out muscle DBs for jump balls  due to his strength and height. If you simply see him as a blocker to open up other guys who "can make plays," you haven't been watching him closely enough. Mac should extend Enunwa soon because at this rate, he's going to BLOW UP in '17 if a QB can get him the ball. 

Robbie showed some shades of greatness last year. Great speed, good concentration, good route runner, good hands although he dropped a few. Being a rookie I would give him a pass on the drops. And the fact that our QB couldn't always get the ball to him. I would say he will be an impact player this year. We got some good young strong arms to get the ball deep this year. Should change the chemistry of the opposing defense with a deep ball threat and someone who can air it out from time to time.

I think the sky is the limit for Anderson.  He is crazy fast and makes some tough catches.  He needs to get stronger and get rid of the concentration drops.  That does not in any way alter my draft philosophy.  You always need more and Anderson has not shown enough that he should be handed a job anyway.  Competition every year, every position.  

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Your right Carl Mitchell helped his team win a Super Bowl and Anderson well you know. 

That's not the argument at hand. Mitchell had a nice game in the Super Bowl, sure. Not sure what that has to do with him being a better receiver than Anderson. Reality is if Anderson is a Patriots player he probably has just as good of a game. 

9 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think the sky is the limit for Anderson.  He is crazy fast and makes some tough catches.  He needs to get stronger and get rid of the concentration drops.  That does not in any way alter my draft philosophy.  You always need more and Anderson has not shown enough that he should be handed a job anyway.  Competition every year, every position.  

2 things i like most about him

1.  DB respect his 4.3 speed and are giving him 7 yard buffer at LOS a lot which is always good for 3-4 yard quick pass if you need

2.  Typically WR take 3 years to develop and he made huge leap in year 1

19 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

That's not the argument at hand. Mitchell had a nice game in the Super Bowl, sure. Not sure what that has to do with him being a better receiver than Anderson. Reality is if Anderson is a Patriots player he probably has just as good of a game. 

I have high hopes for Robbie Anderson hopefully he turns out to be a good one. 

On 3/18/2017 at 9:44 PM, jdeacon said:

I think the #1 wr in today's nfl is a little overblown. Give me a team of 4 good wr's over a team with a #1, 1 solid and the other 2 are inconsistent. Its all about matchups and Anderson is a vital piece in building a cohesive offense that can take advantage of defensive packages that present themselves on the field. Kid looks like he is a steal as a udfa.

This.

Do the Pats have a #1?   Nope, they have 4 #3's who get open.

I'm not a scout, or a football genius, but Robby has a knack for getting behind people.   Fitz had a knack for throwing in front of those people, so their skill sets did not match up.

On 2017-03-18 at 6:28 PM, Matt39 said:

He can't catch and he's like 160lbs. Other than that, I'm excited.

When has anyone said Enunwa is 160 lbs?

My comment is directly stated to the first part of this guy's comment, that Robbie Anderson can't catch the ball.

This was the same complaint about Enunwa, the reason he was suppose to be released after one season.  Now, Enunwa gets showered with praises, probably by the same people who wished for his release.

Archived