Grade the Pick @6: Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech

Patrick Mahomes?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. If the Jets selected Texas Tech QB Patrick Mahomes with the 6th pick, I would give it a grade of.....

• A+
    • A
    • A-
    • B+
    • B
    • B-
    • C+
    • C
    • C-
    • D+
    • D
    • D-
    • F+
    • F
    • F-

1 minute ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not sure a player has ever broken my heart as hard as Watson.  He was my guy, I once said he's the type of guy you want your daughter to marry, he was my knight in shining armor and most importantly, he was my go-to I told you so on the interwebz example and he turns out to be a full blown freakazoid.

It's proof yet again that we fans simply do not know these guys the way we often think, or want to.  Same rule as for famous musicians and famous actors and famous politicians or business leaders.

Literally every word that came out about Watson's personality was positive, he was supposedly charitable, generous, kind, devotedly Christian, etc, etc, etc.  That was before the draft, and well after the draft when he was a Pro as well.

Exactly the kind of guy you WOULD want your daughter to marry.

But we clearly didn't know him.  And like most folks he clearly had secrets. 

Sadly, his secrets weren't being "a nerdy model railroader!", but instead being "a serial sexual predator!" :(

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not sure a player has ever broken my heart as hard as Watson.  He was my guy, I once said he's the type of guy you want your daughter to marry, he was my knight in shining armor and most importantly, he was my go-to I told you so on the interwebz example and he turns out to be a full blown freakazoid.

This is why I was so in love with Mahomes.  If you wanted to know who and what kind of guy he was all you had to do was look it was all there he lives his entire life around professional athletes.

17 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

eh, you were right about the player. 

If sexual predators were easy to spot, we wouldn't have so many victims every year. Sad but true. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Warfish said:

Best of luck finding a pre-draft post from him suggesting anything in re: Mahomes.  He was a non-entity on that question.

Regardless, let him laugh.  As has been noted several times since back then, I (and most draft evaluators) missed on Mahomes a little bit.  He was clearly worth his slot in the situation he went into, great O-Coach, stacked talent around him.  

But I remain unembarrassed by my views of the time (not just this one post).  Mahomes would have been considered a reach at that moment, and we'd just reached on Hack, who at that point was already looking busty, and there were less reachey options available at #6 (like my guy Watson, which now feels gross to say out loud, lol).  I'm not sad I preferred Watson in that draft, he'd have been (sexual assault aside) a better option for our worse roster/coaching.

But no question I missed on Mahomes (and on Allen too).  I miss as often as anyone on projections.  And I always tend to shy away from riskier picks at QB with our Jets.  We can't even make the less risky guys work out.  What would Mahomes or Allen look like here with us.  I shudder to think.

The thing is: if we draft Mahomes, he isn't the Mahomes who wins a Super Bowl.  Remember how pedestrian he looked in the 2nd Super Bowl when his starting tackles went down?  He would have looked REAL bad with the talent he would have been surrounded with.  

Nope, most of us were wrong on what he turned into.  Most of us were right in saying it would have been a terrible idea if the Jets drafted him!

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

The thing is: if we draft Mahomes, he isn't the Mahomes who wins a Super Bowl.  Remember how pedestrian he looked in the 2nd Super Bowl when his starting tackles went down?  He would have looked REAL bad with the talent he would have been surrounded with.  

Nope, most of us were wrong on what he turned into.  Most of us were right in saying it would have been a terrible idea if the Jets drafted him!

If the Jets drafted the best current QB in the NFL he would’ve looked “REAL bad” here? That’s some bleak, nihilistic sh*t right there. And people call me pessimistic…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

I think in this thread I said that he seemed like a great guy (something like that).  "Whoops!"

8 hours ago, jgb said:

If the Jets drafted the best current QB in the NFL he would’ve looked “REAL bad” here? That’s some bleak, nihilistic sh*t right there. And people call me pessimistic…

The best current QB in the league who looked no better than mediocre in the Super Bowl when he didn't have his starting LT or RT.  IMAGINE what he would have looked like without a starting LT, RT, C, RG, WR1, WR2 and a RB?

1 hour ago, CanadaSteve said:

The best current QB in the league who looked no better than mediocre in the Super Bowl when he didn't have his starting LT or RT.  IMAGINE what he would have looked like without a starting LT, RT, C, RG, WR1, WR2 and a RB?

Mediocre is an upgrade over this franchise’s QBs.

If that’s the worst we’ll ever see of Mahomes, I absolutely think he’d still have been a smashing success here.  He would have been vaulted to the # 2 spot of all-time Jets QBs by year 2 or 3 in the league. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, CanadaSteve said:

Sample size 

31 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Every time Bowles gets positive press, I recall that idiot smiling ear to ear about the draft exacta of Adams and Maye despite the Jets not having an offense at the time . Was all for Watson but should have been one of the qbs either way.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Bowles — a former safety himself — was determined to make safeties great again. Add that he refused to coach honey badger (who could’ve been had for peanuts) and you get the infamous safety-safety double tap.

• Upvote 1