Kiper vs McShay 2 round mock.....

Stark

For discussion. I will post the 1st selections up to and including the JETS selections since it is a long article. 

Jets picks:

6. New York Jets

Kiper: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina | Watch highlights

McShay: Jamal Adams, S, LSU | Watch highlights

39. New York Jets

Kiper: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston | Watch highlights

McShay: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU | Watch highlights

Round 1

cid:image001.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

1. Cleveland Browns

Kiper: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M | Watch highlights

No change at the top. Garrett is the best pass-rusher in a class full of them. He's a rare talent and a physical freak (4.64 40-yard dash and 41-inch vertical at 6-foot-4, 272 pounds), and he also produces on the field (32.5 sacks in three seasons).

McShay: Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M | Watch highlights

Yeah, there's no reason to overthink this, Cleveland. Take the clear-cut best player in this draft.

cid:image002.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

2. San Francisco 49ers

Kiper: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford | Watch highlights

I think San Francisco will wait on a quarterback (maybe Kirk Cousins in 2018?). Outside of the Browns, the 49ers have the worst talent on their roster from top to bottom, and picking Thomas would beef up their defense. He's a different player than the D-linemen the 49ers have taken in the first round the past two years (DeForest Buckner and Arik Armstead) and has double-digit sack potential.

McShay: Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford | Watch highlights

The 49ers don't necessarily need to force it and spend the No. 2 pick on a QB after picking up Brian Hoyer and Matt Barkley in free agency. What they need is more impact players, and Thomas is the total package off the edge, with size, quickness and power.

2017 NFL DRAFT

cid:image003.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

3. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State | Watch highlights

Safety is a clear need. I had gone with Jamal Adams here, but Hooker is more of a center fielder-type with deep range and great speed. He has some Ed Reed in him as a playmaker. In his first season as a starter, he had seven interceptions in 2016, including three pick-sixes.

McShay: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama | Watch highlights

Stick with the tape on Allen. He's still our No. 2 overall player, even after mediocre workouts. Allen's quickness and power help him constantly push the pocket as a pass-rusher, and he had 22.5 sacks in the past two seasons. The Bears could use a solidifying force along the interior.

cid:image004.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

4. Jacksonville Jaguars

Kiper: Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama | Watch highlights

The Jaguars are trying to be competitive, and I don't think they're giving up on Blake Bortles yet. And Todd's absolutely right about Allen, who would probably slot in at defensive tackle next to 2016 big-money signing Malik Jackson. Let Allen get after quarterbacks and disrupt running games.

McShay: Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU | Watch highlights

The Jaguars could easily go with LSU safety Jamal Adams here, but they've spent loads of draft capital and free-agent money on their defense in recent years and need more offensive playmakers. Enter Fournette, who would give Jacksonville instant stability at running back. He has a rare combination of size (240 pounds), speed (4.51 40) and power.

cid:image005.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

5. Tennessee Titans (from Rams)

Kiper: Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State | Watch highlights

The Titans would probably be thrilled at the chance to pick the draft's No. 1 corner. Lattimore is an athletic phenom who doesn't have a ton of experience. He ran a 4.36 40 and had a 38½-inch vertical at the combine, but he started just one season for the Buckeyes. This could be a spot where a team like Cleveland tries to trade up to take the top quarterback.

McShay: Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State | Watch highlights

I'll go with a different Buckeye defensive back. Tennessee added Johnathan Cyprien in free agency, but he's more of a run-stuffer. Hooker can provide the speed, range and elite ball skills the Titans need in the deep middle of the field. I also wouldn't completely rule out LB Haason Reddick with this pick. There's a growing sentiment that he'll be off the board by the time Tennessee picks again in Round 1 at No. 18 overall.

cid:image006.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

6. New York Jets

Kiper: Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina | Watch highlights

Another quarterback for the Jets, you ask? Well, why not? Trubisky is my No. 1 signal-caller, and they've already worked him out privately. Josh McCown is far from the long-term answer, and Christian Hackenberg, a second-round pick in 2016, couldn't get on the field last season. Trubisky has a high ceiling, but he has been a starter for only one year.

McShay: Jamal Adams, S, LSU | Watch highlights

There's a lot of buzz about QBs Deshaun Watson or Mitch Trubisky with this pick, and I see that Mel has hopped on that bandwagon. But it'd be really tough for the Jets to pass up Adams if he's still on the board here. A big hitter with excellent intangibles, Adams is one of the few players with an elite grade in this year's class.

Round 2

cid:image001.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

33. Cleveland Browns

Kiper: Joe Mixon, RB, Oklahoma | Watch highlights

The Browns still have several needs. They could keep an eye on the pass-rushers and cornerbacks here, in particular, but I'm going with the dynamic Mixon, who could sneak into the first round. He has off-field issues and won't be on the draft boards for every team, but he's a tremendous talent. He had 65 catches and nine receiving touchdowns the past two seasons.

McShay: DeShone Kizer, QB, Notre Dame | Watch highlights

Kizer is not a finished product, but this would be a long-term play for the Browns and coach Hue Jackson. Kizer has an enticing physical skill set, including elite arm strength; his mechanics still need some work, though.

cid:image002.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

34. San Francisco 49ers

Kiper: Obi Melifonwu, S, Connecticut | Watch highlights

Melifonwu might have been the biggest athletic freak at the combine, running a 4.40 40 and posting a ridiculous 44-inch vertical and 11-foot-9 broad jump. Both leaps ranked as the best of any prospect at the combine. Melifonwu has moved all the way up from the fourth-round grade I gave him during the season. He's a potential Day 1 pick now.

McShay: Obi Melifonwu, DB, Connecticut | Watch highlights

You took the words (and the pick) right out of my mouth, Kiper. I have Melifonwu as my No. 33 overall player, but he could go higher if a team falls in love with his athleticism.

cid:image004.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

35. Jacksonville Jaguars

Kiper: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi | Watch highlights

The 6-3, 234-pound Engram was the fastest tight end at the combine (4.42 40). With Julius Thomas now in Miami, Engram fills a void in the Jags' offense. Engram had had 65 catches for 925 yards and eight touchdowns in 2016.

McShay: Evan Engram, TE, Mississippi | Watch highlights

What I mentioned with the Jaguars' No. 4 overall pick holds true here, too: Finding more playmakers on offense has to be a priority in Jacksonville. Engram is a polished route-runner who has the speed and quickness to be a matchup problem in the NFL.

cid:image003.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

36. Chicago Bears

Kiper: Chidobe Awuzie, CB, Colorado | Watch highlights

Chicago brought in Prince Amukamara and Marcus Cooper in free agency, and I had them taking a safety in Round 1, but the Bears' secondary could still use a boost. Awuzie, my No. 5 corner, is another big defender (6-0, 202) with dynamite athleticism (4.43 40, 11-foot broad jump at the combine).

McShay: Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida | Watch highlights

Awuzie is one of my favorite under-the-radar players in this draft, but I like Wilson better for the Bears. Chicago had just eight INTs all last season (tied for 29th overall); Wilson has some of the best ball skills in this CB class.

cid:image030.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

37. Los Angeles Rams

Kiper: Garett Bolles, OT, Utah | Watch highlights

Bolles (6-5, 297) is a mauler who is probably better on the right side. He started only one season for the Utes after coming over from a junior college, and his 4.95 40 at the combine was second among offensive linemen. Los Angeles brought in Andrew Whitworth to play left tackle, and former second-round pick Robert Havenstein is holding down the right side. Bolles could move inside.

McShay: Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama | Watch highlights

Because of his size (6-foot, 197) and fluidity in coverage, Humphrey has one of the highest ceilings of any cornerback in this year's class, but he needs to improve his ball skills. He fits best in a press-heavy scheme.

cid:image007.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

38. Los Angeles Chargers

Kiper: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina | Watch highlights

Jones is one of the biggest risers from the postseason process. He was great at Senior Bowl practices, and he impressed at the combine (4.45 40, 36½-inch vertical, 11-foot-1 broad jump) at 6-2, 201. Jones led the FBS in catches last season with 158.

McShay: Zay Jones, WR, East Carolina | Watch highlights

Jones accelerates upfield in a hurry, and at the Senior Bowl he showed the ability to beat press coverage. He also impressed with his route-running, which was a question mark initially with Jones because East Carolina's offense runs a limited route tree.

cid:image006.png@01D2ADE7.3D1A4C70

39. New York Jets

Kiper: Tyus Bowser, OLB, Houston | Watch highlights

Bowser is the rare top-end pass-rusher in this class who probably has to stick in a 3-4 defense, but he's a great fit for the Jets. At 6-3, 247, just stick him outside and let him rush the passer. He had 8.5 sacks in eight games last season.

McShay: Tre'Davious White, CB, LSU | Watch highlights

White rarely looks panicked on tape, part of which can be traced back to having started 47 games at LSU. The Jets need a makeover in the secondary; selecting LSU teammates Jamal Adams and White with their first two picks would help accomplish that.

52 minutes ago, Stark said:

If I had to choose one of these guys drafts, I would have to take McShay, mostly because I think Trubisky is nothing special.

LSU stifled Lamar Jackson in the bowl game.  Might not be bad to add their 2 best players on D.  Though I'd like to see who they passed on RD2. 

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

LSU stifled Lamar Jackson in the bowl game.  Might not be bad to add their 2 best players on D.  Though I'd like to see who they passed on RD2. 

I posted the round 2 picks ahead of the jets 

9 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I prefer Kyper's draft because we need a QB.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Feel free to share your thoughts ...

No one disputes that.  I think people dispute drafting a guy with 13 career starts as the #6 overall pick, then throwing him onto a rebuilding team in a NJ/NY market.

i think i'd like to see the blend of both of the drafts with trubitsky  and white but only if trubitsky knocked their socks off in the private workout.  presumably they had a similar workout with hack so that should at least be the benchmark.  the easiest thing to do is stock the roster with good talent in the first 3 rounds and then start looking for a qb.  there will be guys available when the jets use their 2nd 3rd round pick. 

11 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I know people aren't crazy about taking a 1st round QB after taking a 2nd round QB last year. But you don't often get an opportunity to take the top QB in the draft class. Not sure we'll get this chance again next year.

You don;t think we'll have a top 5 pick next year?

19 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

I know people aren't crazy about taking a 1st round QB after taking a 2nd round QB last year. But you don't often get an opportunity to take the top QB in the draft class. Not sure we'll get this chance again next year.

In 2013 we got that chance (Buffalo's stupidity aside) and picked the consensus best QB in the draft. How did that work out? Picking the best QB in a weak class is like picking the hottest girl at an all you can eat buffet. 

18 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

In 2013 we got that chance (Buffalo's stupidity aside) and picked the consensus best QB in the draft. How did that work out? Picking the best QB in a weak class is like picking the hottest girl at an all you can eat buffet. 

It worked for the eagles, not so much for the Rams. 

1 hour ago, Brady's a catcher said:

You don;t think we'll have a top 5 pick next year?

I wouldn't bet on it. We always seem to win meaningless games at the end of the year. Not to mention that we still have a talented D-line and some good young wr's.

To have a top 5 pick, it's not enough to be bad. Need to be lucky too.

2 hours ago, RichardTodd27 said:

The problem with this is, the best QB in this class may be the 5th QB in 18

22 minutes ago, flgreen said:

The problem with this is, the best QB in this class may be the 5th QB in 18

How so as I completely disagree. If these guys were to stay in school as they all had an opportunity too. They would all be consider the top QBs for 18. Trubisky had the better year imo all the top QB prospects from this year and next year prospects. Had he went back and had as good or better season he would have been more of a sure thing rather then a question mark with limited game experience. 

With all that said I would love for us to trade Howard.

Archived