Schefter: Jeremy Bates is Jets’ Most Underrated Off-Season Acquisition

JetNation

bates.jpg

By Glenn Naughton

While Jets fans continue to debate the credentials, or lack thereof, of the three quarterbacks currently on their roster in Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty, NFL Insider Adam Schefter offered an interesting take on Gang Green’s quarterback situation during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show.

In discussing the Jets’ dire situation under center, Schefter chimed in saying new quarterback coach Jeremy Bates “is a quarterback guru and I think that he can do a lot of good for Christian Hackenberg” and continued, saying Bates is “the underrated, least talked about jets off-season acquisition so far”

Bates last worked as a QB coach back in 2012 with the Bears, and has also held the same post with the Jets and Denver Broncos in 2005 and 2008 respectively.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
rkclzP_b7WE

Click here to read the full story...

I hope he is right. Although the answer is a bit of a hedge your bet kind of thing. He said Bates could do something with Hack, but he also says that the Jets will be the first team to take a QB in this draft.

So I guess Glenn's title here is a perfect recap of the article. Schefter likes Bates but doesn't have specific knowledge on what the Jets are thinking QB wise. But he believes in Bates ability to groom a QB.

Good news.

21 minutes ago, Maxman said:

I hope he is right. Although the answer is a bit of a hedge your bet kind of thing. He said Bates could do something with Hack, but he also says that the Jets will be the first team to take a QB in this draft.

So I guess Glenn's title here is a perfect recap of the article. Schefter likes Bates but doesn't have specific knowledge on what the Jets are thinking QB wise. But he believes in Bates ability to groom a QB.

Good news.

i am going on record that i predict the jets are taking trubisky, either at 6 or at 8 or 9 if they trade back.  i think he is a good fit for the west cost offense which the new OC is going to employ.  hack will be given his shot, but i think trubisky wins the job.  

3 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

i am going on record that i predict the jets are taking trubisky, either at 6 or at 8 or 9 if they trade back.  i think he is a good fit for the west cost offense which the new OC is going to employ.  hack will be given his shot, but i think trubisky wins the job.  

If this happens the logical move for the Jets would be to continue the Hack plan and let Trubisky sit and learn.   The Jets may want to do a Cousins in a later round too.  

Petty and McCown would be gone in 2018, and the Jets could have 2 decent QBs plus another youngster.  Hack could be moved in 2019 if he is good.

I think after so many years of having no QB maybe having 2 is not a bad thing.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

If this happens the logical move for the Jets would be to continue the Hack plan and let Trubisky sit and learn.   The Jets may want to do a Cousins in a later round too.  

Petty and McCown would be gone in 2018, and the Jets could have 2 decent QBs plus another youngster.  Hack could be moved in 2019 if he is good.

I think after so many years of having no QB maybe having 2 is not a bad thing.

i think trubisky would win the job outright in training camp.  and if they take him in the first round it would be with the intention to not redshirt him, but to have him learn on the job.

This article would be more credible if the coaches were allowed more time with the players . The question I would asked since I don't know is whether the coaches can be allowed to spend more time in the presence of the players just for study/class room work ?.

Calling you out Sperm Edwards . 

Just now, Jolot said:

This reminds me of when Rick Peterson was the Mets most important offseason acquisition. Don't count on it .

Hey, haven't seen you around for a while. Agreed!

Coaches are never the "most important offseason acquisition", and if they are - then you need a new GM, because it's always about getting good players.

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Hey, haven't seen you around for a while. Agreed!

Coaches are never the "most important offseason acquisition", and if they are - then you need a new GM, because it's always about getting good players.

for this team it might be, since it's been a while the jets have had any competent coaching on offense.  maybe this is the difference between being able to develop qbs and not.  guys like sanchez and geno never had a chance with rex ignoring the offense.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

for this team it might be, since it's been a while the jets have had any competent coaching on offense.  maybe this is the difference between being able to develop qbs and not.  guys like sanchez and geno never had a chance with rex ignoring the offense.

No. Having a good QB is the solution to "being able to develop a QB". 

The role of the coach in making a QB from a mound of clay is more myth than reality. Good QBs become good, because it's in their makeup. Good coaches just put good QBs in good situations. That doesn't "make" them good.

We can all hope that our coaches create good situations for all of our players. However, the notion that a coach is just going to "make" a player is bullcrap. Petty or Hack are either going to figure it out and be good, or they aren't. Regardless of coach.

The history of the QB position in this league has proven this out at an overwhelmingly higher rate, than the few fringe examples of "QBs being developed". 

1 minute ago, Integrity28 said:

The role of the coach in making a QB from a mound of clay is more myth than reality. Good QBs become good, because it's in their makeup. Good coaches just put good QBs in good situations. That doesn't "make" them good.

We can all hope that our coaches create good situations for all of our players. However, the notion that a coach is just going to "make" a player is bullcrap. Petty or Hack are either going to figure it out and be good, or they aren't. Regardless of coach.

The history of the QB position in this league has proven this out at an overwhelmingly higher rate, than the few fringe examples of "QBs being developed". 

if you put a guy like cousins on the jets with rex as the hc and crap coaches on offense, he does not develop as he did.  you'd need a stud qb to overcome the lack of coaching.  that's where i see the difference.  a guy like hackenberg needs real coaching, he was good with a good coach at penn state and sucked when they changed the coach.  

that said, i do believe they are going to take trubisky and that he will be the starting qb on opening day.

Just now, Augustiniak said:

if you put a guy like cousins on the jets with rex as the hc and crap coaches on offense, he does not develop as he did.  you'd need a stud qb to overcome the lack of coaching.  that's where i see the difference.  a guy like hackenberg needs real coaching, he was good with a good coach at penn state and sucked when they changed the coach.  

that said, i do believe they are going to take trubisky and that he will be the starting qb on opening day.

I just don't agree. Cousins looked like he got it from day one, and just got better with experience. EXPERIENCE + APTITUDE are the key factors in a QB working out.

Coaches help. And your examples fortify that point. I'm not saying they don't help. I'm saying that coaches don't determine whether a QB makes it or not. The player does.

Look at Philip Rivers, he's never had good coaching - apart from Whisenhunt as his OC, and he's a great QB. Whis just helped him by putting him in good situations. Coaches control situations, not outcomes. Players determine outcomes.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I just don't agree. Cousins looked like he got it from day one, and just got better with experience. EXPERIENCE + APTITUDE are the key factors in a QB working out.

Coaches help. And your examples fortify that point. I'm not saying they don't help. I'm saying that coaches don't determine whether a QB makes it or not. The player does.

Look at Philip Rivers, he's never had good coaching - apart from Whisenhunt as his OC, and he's a great QB. Whis just helped him by putting him in good situations. Coaches control situations, not outcomes. Players determine outcomes.

rivers is an elite talent.  they can overcome this.  i think it's the fringe guys who need the coaching, it can make or break their careers.  

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

rivers is an elite talent.  they can overcome this.  i think it's the fringe guys who need the coaching, it can make or break their careers.  

It can help their career but I don't see it as turning a fringe guy into a franchise QB. Either they have it from the start or they don't. They're the ones learning the offense and reading defenses and making the throws. Coaches can help fix a thing or two and put them in better situations. But ultimately it's up to the player. 

20 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Like I said, coaches create situations - situations make or break careers. 

Most people, when they talk about coaches "developing" a QB, have this fairy tale in mind - where crap gets polished into gold by a magical sorcerer of a coach. It's just hogwash. 

Coaching and leadership matters in every area of life. 

Yea greats like Tom Brady and Payton Manning have personal coaches to improve their game but somehow folks just think that it is just magic fairy dust that makes a player good.  

The causes and conditions that we put any individual around impacts whether or not they will thrive.

Indeed sometimes a good cause (a seed) falls on inhospitable ground or is placed almost trees that choke its growth.  Then there is some seeds that fall on fertile ground and can thrive.  It is up to the organization to make sure that the players they draft are put in fertile ground where they have a chance not a guarantee to thrive  

The fact that the Jets have hired someone to work who knows what they are doing is a welcome sign and break from the past. 

25 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

Coaching and leadership matters in every area of life. 

Yea greats like Tom Brady and Payton Manning have personal coaches to improve their game but somehow folks just think that it is just magic fairy dust that makes a player good.  

The causes and conditions that we put any individual around impacts whether or not they will thrive.

Indeed sometimes a good cause (a seed) falls on inhospitable ground or is placed almost trees that choke its growth.  Then there is some seeds that fall on fertile ground and can thrive.  It is up to the organization to make sure that the players they draft are put in fertile ground where they have a chance not a guarantee to thrive  

The fact that the Jets have hired someone to work who knows what they are doing is a welcome sign and break from the past. 

I have a feeling Tom Brady used something else, but feeling and proving are 2 different things .

34 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Like I said, coaches create situations - situations make or break careers. 

Most people, when they talk about coaches "developing" a QB, have this fairy tale in mind - where crap gets polished into gold by a magical sorcerer of a coach. It's just hogwash. 

it's isn't hogwash when the jets can't develop anyone since ken o'brien.  at some point coaching does matter.

2 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

okay by me.  i'm not going to use this as an excuse to bash mac for the hack pick.  if a qb better than the one you have is available in the draft you take him.  since hack hasn't yet played a down it's possible that he could still be the best option going forward.  the thing too is a good qb prospect is valuable. if trubitsky has first round value this year, he's going to have similar value in later years. and, of course he will be that much more valuable if he actually plays.

3 minutes ago, rangerous said:

okay by me.  i'm not going to use this as an excuse to bash mac for the hack pick.  if a qb better than the one you have is available in the draft you take him.  since hack hasn't yet played a down it's possible that he could still be the best option going forward.  the thing too is a good qb prospect is valuable. if trubitsky has first round value this year, he's going to have similar value in later years. and, of course he will be that much more valuable if he actually plays.

i don't bash the hack pick.  he may pan out.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

This article would be more credible if the coaches were allowed more time with the players . The question I would asked since I don't know is whether the coaches can be allowed to spend more time in the presence of the players just for study/class room work ?.

Calling you out Sperm Edwards . 

1. I'm happy to respond, but if you don't use the @ before my username, you'll have to just hope I see your request.

2. You're calling me out for what? I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

2 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

This, 100%.

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. I'm happy to respond, but if you don't use the @ before my username, you'll have to just hope I see your request.

2. You're calling me out for what? I honestly don't know what you're talking about.

Once the OTAs begin, can the coaches have access to the players off the field at their leisure ? I know on the field workouts are limited, but what about meetings with the coaches to discuss the playbook ect ect .

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

it's isn't hogwash when the jets can't develop anyone since ken o'brien.  at some point coaching does matter.

**** the jets, if what they do and fail at is your only context for observing the league as a whole, then you're going to fall short on seeing the big picture.

7 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

**** the jets, if what they do and fail at is your only context for observing the league as a whole, then you're going to fall short on seeing the big picture.

this makes no sense.  all i'm saying is that for some qbs coaching does matter.  the jets haven't emphasized offense since parcells arrived 20 years ago and it's no coincidence that they haven't developed 1 qb unless you consider pennington.  herm/rex/bowles/tanny/idzik/mccags have failed at doing the most important thing in the nfl, develop qbs.  then you look around the nfl and you see some teams with offensive minded hcs and real qb coaches, and it is reasonable to conclude that it's not just the player's own given talent that determines success.  it's system, it's drafting players around him.  there's been a big void on this team in this regard.  1 offensive player drafted in the first round in nearly 10 years.  

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

this makes no sense.  all i'm saying is that for some qbs coaching does matter.  the jets haven't emphasized offense since parcells arrived 20 years ago and it's no coincidence that they haven't developed 1 qb unless you consider pennington.  herm/rex/bowles/tanny/idzik/mccags have failed at doing the most important thing in the nfl, develop qbs.  then you look around the nfl and you see some teams with offensive minded hcs and real qb coaches, and it is reasonable to conclude that it's not just the player's own given talent that determines success.  it's system, it's drafting players around him.  there's been a big void on this team in this regard.  1 offensive player drafted in the first round in nearly 10 years.  

It makes perfect sense, Jet fan. Perfect sense.

Archived