Shefter: Cleveland considering Trubisky at #1 overall

TuscanyTile2

7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

LOL, no way they go Trubisky at #1.

I do hope they love the guy however as it enhances a chance we can traded down with them.

They HAVE to grab a QB. They've had their opportunities the last couple years and not grabbing one with that 2nd 1st round pick would be mind boggling. But it appears perhaps all three top qb's would be available to the Browns so I can't see them tossing the 2nd round pick away to move up to 6 with us. If they do anything with those extra picks, it will be to take Jimmy G off Patsies hands. Belicheat I believe would make a reasonable deal seeing how their picks are compromised this draft. I could see the Browns giving up  #12 and their 2nd rounder for Jimmy G.  In essence, Pats would be gaining a 1st rounder in the deal. He's more polished, ready to play and more of a sure thing. 

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Beerfish said:

LOL, no way they go Trubisky at #1.

I do hope they love the guy however as it enhances a chance we can traded down with them.

Problem is that they might want to move up ahead of us to take Trubisky if they think we have interest.

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

Notice how local media pushing jets draft QB narrative while fans and even NFL.com saying jets won't and should not...guess it creates a lot of clicks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799450/article/warning-to-browns-jets-dont-draft-quarterback-too-early

the NFL want the Jets and Browns to stay bad forever so they can continue to make the Patriots and the Steelers look good.

you know, teams that people actually like 

by the way here come the "Garrett has a maturity problem" stories, right on time 

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/04/12/cleveland-browns-myles-garrett-maturity-problem/

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

the NFL want the Jets and Browns to stay bad forever so they can continue to make the Patriots and the Steelers look good.

by the way here come the "Garrett has a maturity problem" stories, right on time 

https://nflspinzone.com/2017/04/12/cleveland-browns-myles-garrett-maturity-problem/

Hope he is so immature he falls to 6 ?

46 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Ok how do you explain the majority of jets fans that see this is not the year to grab another project QB and the need to fill all the other holes in roster?

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Notice how local media pushing jets draft QB narrative while fans and even NFL.com saying jets won't and should not...guess it creates a lot of clicks

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000799450/article/warning-to-browns-jets-dont-draft-quarterback-too-early

I don't see why drafting a QB early/round1 means they're admitting Hack was a mistake. Right now the team has unknowns. To me it says "hey this team needs a fn QB already" 

1 minute ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't see why drafting a QB early/round1 means they're admitting Hack was a mistake. Right now the team has unknowns. To me it says "hey this team needs a fn QB already" 

Hmmmm you ever hear of the term "opportunity cost"?

10 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

It doesn't. Dallas drafted Steve Walsh 1 year after taking Aikman 1st overall. 

20 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

Cleveland is probably going to want to get ahead of us, if they want both Garrett and Trubisky.

I'd crack up if they came up to #2 with SF, who is shopping their pick.

I'd crack up even more if we passed on Trubisky, don't trade back, and he ends up the best QB in class.

IMG_1084.GIF

This story is such garbage, someone trying to create buzz for their article.  Trubisky is the 2017 version

of Sanchez, he has too few starts and when he gets to the NFL his head is going to spin with the defenses

he'll see.  Why couldn't he beat out the "great" Marquise Williams for the starting spot at NC???

10 minutes ago, KRL said:

This story is such garbage, someone trying to create buzz for their article.  Trubisky is the 2017 version

of Sanchez, he has too few starts and when he gets to the NFL his head is going to spin with the defenses

he'll see.  Why couldn't he beat out the "great" Marquise Williams for the starting spot at NC???

i get the sanchez comparisons, but the one thing that mitchell has that mark didn't was natural accuracy.  i can see this guy running the west coast offense on the jets.

56 minutes ago, KRL said:

Why is it ok for a championship caliper team to draft a QB in the 1st round  and allow him to develop while sitting and learning but wrong when a team like the Jets who's desperate for a QB do the same thing . Hack wasn't ready so he's a bust because the Jets didn't put a QB the world knew wasn't ready on the field . The world know Trubisky has the tools, but isn't ready yet it's perfectly fine to allow a team who already has a franchise QB to draft and develop a potential franchise QB while we spin our heels because conventional wisdom says a QB drafted in the early part of the 1st round has to start or he gets the bust label .

For a while folks thought the earth was flat, you walk too far and you fall off . Then 1 day, someone took a walk and actually came back . 

13 hours ago, bitonti said:

I don't really agree with this.

I think the NFL clearly pushes and favors teams with marketable stars. If the Jets got some marketable stars, the NFL would gladly market an underdog cinderella story, but the Jets have been too busy taking Defensive Lineman and secondary with their draft picks for the last 10 years to have any real marketable stars. 

The Jets are the league joke because they are a terribly run team, and have been for 10 years now, its that simple. Run the team properly and they will do fine. There is no conspiracy against the Jets or Browns, its a conspiracy against unmarketable teams. The league is all about greed, they will pimp and market anything they can to make more money in anyway. If the Jets were marketable, the NFL would be happy to market them.

It's bewildering to me why Trubisky hasn't gotten more talk from the draftniks for the number 1 spot but GM's always say that the internet community tends to catch up with the real world the closer it gets to the draft.
Trubisky has everything...  Garrett could be as good as JJ Watt but it doesn't matter one bit without a QB.  That was proven with Houston's garbage records with JJ being the best defensive player this generation has every seen.
It's amazing too, because the only negative most people have on Trubisky is that he's only started 13 games. If you need more than 13 games to make an educated guess on someone, then something is wrong.  He has everything, the mobility, pocket awareness, arm. His mind is as good as it gets with the ability to run through reads and figure out where to move within the pocket.
I'll be begging for Trubisky to fall to us on draft day because you can't win in this league without a QB and hes' as good as any QB prospect I've watched over the last several years. And we can't keep watching the great ones go by because there's a limited amount of great ones who become available.  Mariota was the last great one (although that leg injury may change everything) and now I believe Trubisky is it.

Hi Mr Trubisky.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Just now, Snell41 said:

Hi Mr Trubisky.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Hilarious.

It's easier to sit there and say he's gonna suck because most of these QB's do.  I think Trubisky is going to be a damn good player. Because QB's are impossible to get and there's very few that end up being any good, I'm hoping like hell we end up with him.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Brady didn't beat out Henson.  What the hell does it matter what a college coach thinks?

Trubisky is nothing like Sanchez outside of not having a ton of starts.  You can't teach the ease with how he runs through reads and how comfortable he is with knowing where the defense is at and where the rush is coming from.  He also doesn't have that panic aspect to his game that Sanchez had.  Sanchez even managed to turn the ball over in college while Trubisky doesn't.  2 of his 4 regular season INT's happened in a freaking hurricane.

The good news about being a stinky team is that you get a high draft pick, but if that pick (in this case 6) is too high to pick a QB based on relative rankings, but those QBs will not be around for your second round pick, are you crazy to reach for a QB you think will be good?  I don't know.

I think there is a fundamental difference between MT, DW and PM.  Actually, they are three different stories completely.

MT's theoretical high second round/low first round grade is in large part due to his inexperience.  if you believe that a QB's are mostly born and MT was born a QB, you can take him anyway.  You are not getting him in the second round.

There are questions about whether DW is translatable to the NFL.  Same for PM.  There are questions about MT too, but they strike me as more the nitpicky type than the fundamental type.  But each QB will rely on a coaching staff being able to coach him and adapt to him.  

All sorts of good press nitpicking Myles Garrett now.  I can see the Browns going MT.  The fact that he is from Cleveland puts Browns management in very bad spot, particularly if he ends up in Buffalo, across the lake.

3 minutes ago, varjet said:

The good news about being a stinky team is that you get a high draft pick, but if that pick (in this case 6) is too high to pick a QB based on relative rankings, but those QBs will not be around for your second round pick, are you crazy to reach for a QB you think will be good?  I don't know.

The answer is no... To be honest, if you think a player is going to be good, (ESPECIALLY AT QB) then you do whatever it takes to get that player. Criticism from people just doesn't matter.  Only matters if you're good or not.

I love how people around here are acting like Garrett is a guarantee.  The guy has some things to be very worried about. My main issue with him and definitely adds to his bust factor is that he doesn't seem to love football.  Now, he's so talented that he could still go out there and half-ass it to 10 sacks a year but is that worth the number 1 pick?  QB is EVERYTHING in this league.  If you think a guy like Trubisky is going to be good (which I do after watching every game from each of the QB's) then you absolutely take him. And do whatever it takes to get him because there are going to be other drafts that go by where NO QB is good.

2 minutes ago, Komba said:

Brady didn't beat out Henson.  What the hell does it matter what a college coach thinks?

Trubisky is nothing like Sanchez outside of not having a ton of starts.  You can't teach the ease with how he runs through reads and how comfortable he is with knowing where the defense is at and where the rush is coming from.  He also doesn't have that panic aspect to his game that Sanchez had.  Sanchez even managed to turn the ball over in college while Trubisky doesn't.  2 of his 4 regular season INT's happened in a freaking hurricane.

Peyton Manning couldn't win the National championship at Tennessee, but  Tee Martin did with the same team. Tee Martin must be the HOF QB . Trubisky might be the worst draft pick the Jets ever made if they took him at 6 and get the GM and HC fired. Or he might not . He's good enough for certain teams to take a chance on because he possess the skill set that could make him something special . The Jets front office know much more than me about what Hackenberg is presently, so what they do is what they do. If I'm picking at 6, with Hackenberg on the roster, I'm taking Trubisky .

If Taking him gets me fired, then I'm fired, but at least i got fired trying to fill the most important position on the team I was hired to fix . .

4 minutes ago, Komba said:

The answer is no... To be honest, if you think a player is going to be good, (ESPECIALLY AT QB) then you do whatever it takes to get that player. Criticism from people just doesn't matter.  Only matters if you're good or not.

I love how people around here are acting like Garrett is a guarantee.  The guy has some things to be very worried about. My main issue with him and definitely adds to his bust factor is that he doesn't seem to love football.  Now, he's so talented that he could still go out there and half-ass it to 10 sacks a year but is that worth the number 1 pick?  QB is EVERYTHING in this league.  If you think a guy like Trubisky is going to be good (which I do after watching every game from each of the QB's) then you absolutely take him. And do whatever it takes to get him because there are going to be other drafts that go by where NO QB is good.

Think about this for a moment.

The Rams paid a kings ransom to draft Jared Goff and look at what he was when he was forced to play . The Jets have the opportunity to draft a QB with a better arm, better mobility and whose college offense called for him to do much more than Goff did at Cal, and fans are complaining . Last yr, half if not more of this fan base would have jumped for joy if the Jets had found a way to trade up for Goff .

32 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree with the marketable star opinion.  Not to mention if the Jets had a super star QB NFL would love to pump him up in the biggest market in the world.  

Absolutely. And despite the league basically putting out a memo about it every year, the Jets refuse to listen. They have essentially made interior Dlineman worthless because they allow teams to hold at will, they continuously change the rules to make the offense have every advantage as possible, and we keep hiring defensive minded coaches who ignore the memo. Then, we give the dinosaurs as much if not more power than their GM's, its no secret why we suck, we are an awful, horribly run organization that all starts at the top, with our idiot moron owner. 

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The Rams paid a kings ransom to draft Jared Goff and look at what he was when he was forced to play . The Jets have the opportunity to draft a QB with a better arm, better mobility and whose college offense called for him to do much more than Goff did at Cal, and fans are complaining . Last yr, half if not more of this fan base would have jumped for joy if the Jets had found a way to trade up for Goff .

Only those of us who can count higher than 13.

I will be extremely surprised if the Jets pick a QB at #6. I don't believe they will even pick a QB in this draft even though they have brought some in for a look. Too many holes in the team to fill. They signed McCown which leads me to think they have there 3 QB's for the 2017 season.

10 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Exactly...
Part of me thinks it's two things.  1. Some Jets fans are so scared of taking a QB high and failing that they'd actually rather not do it. And feel comfortable just complaining about the Jets constantly instead of taking the risk that they MUST take.  

Worst case is that they just compare any college QB without a ton of experience to Sanchez which is beyond crazy in my opinion.  Every person is different.  To make a generalization like that is lunacy.  It's like the idiots who didn't want to draft Rodgers because every other QB from Tedford sucked.

If you think Trubisky isn't going to be good, have an actual reason for that instead of just pointing to experience.  Experience clearly didn't matter in regards to Sanchez because the guy didn't get better as he got more experience in the pros.  Sanchez was bad for the reasons I've mentioned, along with the fact that most QB's just end up being being bad in the NFL.

So depending on which poster we listen to on here either Mitch Trubisky, Pat Mahommes or Deshaun Watson are our elite franchise QBs and the others are purer garbage.

To decide which guy I want to listen to I'd have to see who they liked or didn't like in previous drafts.

10 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So depending on which poster we listen to on here either Mitch Trubisky, Pat Mahommes or Deshaun Watson are our elite franchise QBs and the others are purer garbage.

To decide which guy I want to listen to I'd have to see who they liked or didn't like in previous drafts.

Past performance doesn't guarantee future returns 

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Well, I've been right the previous few drafts but I have been wrong. I never thought Carr would be as good as he is. Thought Mariota was a star (although the leg injury very well may change that)

Trubisky I would have drafted even above Mariota because I like his arm more. Athleticism, calmness, and progression through reads are all similar.

For those 3 guys you listed

Trubisky - Gonna be a top 10 QB.  Has everything. Quick release, pocket awareness, situational awareness. His superior quality is how quickly and easily he moves through his reads. I love that he doesn't need a perfect base to throw the ball. Didn't have great talent at all at UNC yet still made it work offensively. Hilarious at times to watch his guys drop ball after ball when he's leading them on a game winning drive.  And trust me, my natural inclination was to dislike Trubisky before I watched him over an over.

Watson - Not crazy about his accuracy and that's my issue.  His feet are fantastic. Extremely athletic and quick to his drop.  Moves through reads fine,  and is very aware of the pocket although not elite at it like Trubisky.  Also think Trubisky has a better football mind.  One quality about Watson that holds him up high in my mind is that he has an extreme will to win.

Mahomes - Dude has an unreal arm although an odd release.  I think what will hold him back is the pocket awareness. He takes too many sacks and holds onto it too long. He has some russell wilson and Ben in him in terms of wanting to extend plays, but I don't think he's athletic as Russell or as good as Ben at actually extending plays. He's a gunslinger.  I think he'll end up starting for a bit and looking decent occasionally, but won't be a long term starter in the league. If he is a long term starter, will never be an every year playoff QB.

Personally urge everyone to go to Draftbreakdown.com and just figure out for yourself. Scouting in itself is just about watching things and knowing what you're looking at.  Projecting it to the next level.

I will say Kizer is a wildcard.  He's so damn bright. Has the perfect head on his shoulders.  THose guys tend to figure out ways to get better and the guy has high end NFL talent. With ND, he just spent too much time thinking where someone like Trubisky just fluidly goes through everything.

1 hour ago, Komba said:

Exactly...
Part of me thinks it's two things.  1. Some Jets fans are so scared of taking a QB high and failing that they'd actually rather not do it. And feel comfortable just complaining about the Jets constantly instead of taking the risk that they MUST take.  

Worst case is that they just compare any college QB without a ton of experience to Sanchez which is beyond crazy in my opinion.  Every person is different.  To make a generalization like that is lunacy.  It's like the idiots who didn't want to draft Rodgers because every other QB from Tedford sucked.

If you think Trubisky isn't going to be good, have an actual reason for that instead of just pointing to experience.  Experience clearly didn't matter in regards to Sanchez because the guy didn't get better as he got more experience in the pros.  Sanchez was bad for the reasons I've mentioned, along with the fact that most QB's just end up being being bad in the NFL.

Mark Sanchez did exactly what he did at USC when he went to the Jets . He rode an all star cast to millions and success mostly because of the cast.  Mitchell Trubisky took over a North Carolina team who was in transition, and led a bunch of no names to a Bowl game and in the process, went from unknown to the top of the 2017 QB rankings  . Is he ready to compete for the starting position this year, probably not, but he proved he could learn and offense and execute it at a high level and he  proved he could take a bunch of guys and lead them.

That last drive in the bowl game didn't end the way you would want, but what that kid did in the situation he found himself in was what defines a Franchise QB . Yes, Thomas made the play that cause the heels to loose, but that drive to score the TD was special especially when you consider that his receivers drop TD after TD until they didn't ..

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Trubisky is the 2017 version of Sanchez, 

When's the last time any of us had real hope for this team? It was 2010 Mark Sanchez. 

The dude certainly had flaws and toward the end it spiraled out of control but the Sanchez era was friggin amazing compared to what's come since. 

the "endless rebuild" 

Archived