Ryan Fitzpatrick opens up about hardest year, how it made him consider retirement.

joewilly12

19 hours ago, flgreen said:

Rumors at the time were that Denver offered him right around 7-7.5.  Have no idea if it's true or not

I don't recall any leak that they offered him anything at all. My recollection was they never made him any offer.

The $7m they wanted to offer a new QB was the pay cut Kaepernick turned down.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Mike135 said:

Taking a second to think about it, leads me to believe that no matter what, 2017 will be better than 2016.  If only because Mr. Fitzpatrick is no longer here.

Thank you for that Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Couldn't agree more! I was also extremely disappointed when they decided to bring him back for the 2016 season because I knew he was a waste of 12 million dollars. (Which I think most of us thought) 

57 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Show me evidence of "division in the locker room".  Show me evidence besides the 10 second humble and honest admission that the FO gave up on him that he "threw management, coaches, and ownership under the bus".

Not your emotional creation.  Hard facts.  Where are the quotes from ex-teammates?  Where are his quotes assassinating Bowles, Maccagan, or Mr. Johnson?

SAR I

Part of the reason for the issue between Marshall and Richardson was Fitzpatrick related. Players protesting by not showing up to camp is an example of him dividing the locker room. And his own words is the hard evidence of him throwing everyone under the bus. Causing distractions, causing division plus terrible quarterback play is why the team is not bringing him back. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Oh, I see, the quarterback is the only position of merit on the playing field.  Especially his impact on defense, you know, the 25 minutes of each game he's actually not on the field.

We went 10-6 because the defense, running game, and passing game all clicked and we had the easiest schedule in the NFL.

We went 5-11 because the team hated its coaching staff, the Top 3 caliber defense decided to throw in the towel, and we had the toughest schedule in the NFL.

Put another way, Ryan Fitzpatrick played the exact same in 2016 as he did in 2015.  Same player.  What changed is everything else around him.  Either way, we weren't supposed to go 10-6 last year on the strength of a 37 year old journeyman quarterback on his 7th team in 12 years.  We were supposed to win it on defense.  Blame the right people.

SAR I

This post proves that you just troll a lot. You made some sense but then you went full troll again. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

Show me evidence of "division in the locker room".  Show me evidence besides the 10 second humble and honest admission that the FO gave up on him that he "threw management, coaches, and ownership under the bus".

Not your emotional creation.  Hard facts.  Where are the quotes from ex-teammates?  Where are his quotes assassinating Bowles, Maccagan, or Mr. Johnson?

SAR I

Evidence of division in the locker room? Um how about RIchardson and Marshall feuding basically all year.

The fact that any Jet fan could defend fitzpatrick is absolutely mind boggling to me.  This is a guy, who while he played "well:" in 2015, in the biggest moment of the season, completely fell flat on his face, throwing a completely unnecessary interception, taking the Jets out of the playoffs.  That same player, held out, admitted that he didnt work out in the offseason, came in rusty, and played HORRENDOUSLY - to the point that when his FO "lost faith in him" was the lowest ranked QB in the entire league, all while making $12 million.

Sports are one of the few jobs in the world where everyone's salary is public and when a player is making a lot and not pulling their weight, it causes problems.  When the player who is underperforming is also doing so because he refuses to see his limitations as a player, continually takes chances resulting in turnovers, and never takes responsibility for it, it causes BIG problems in the locker room.

The fact that you think Fitz is holding out to be a starter, shows just how little self awareness he has as a player and why no one has tried to sign him - people think a "bad attitude" means being a jerk, or going out all the time, that isnt Fitz.  In his case, his bad attitude is because he doesnt realize who he is as a player, and has never played within his talent - ie why he threw that horrendous pick that cost the whole team a playoff birth.

12 minutes ago, August said:

Part of the reason for the issue between Marshall and Richardson was Fitzpatrick related. Players protesting by not showing up to camp is an example of him dividing the locker room. And his own words is the hard evidence of him throwing everyone under the bus. Causing distractions, causing division plus terrible quarterback play is why the team is not bringing him back. 

Thanks for the anecdotes and the hyperbole.

When you have factual evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a force of major disruption, you let us know.  Until then, shhhhh.

SAR I

9 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Evidence of division in the locker room? Um how about RIchardson and Marshall feuding basically all year.

Wait, so the reason Sheldon Richardson took the season off was because of our journeyman quarterback.

And here I thought it was because he is a drug using pothead who makes great decisions like DUI at 143 MPH with a child and a weapon in his car.  And resisting arrest.  Great guy, I can see why Ryan Fizpatrick made him soooo upset.

Silly me.

SAR I

8 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Thanks for the anecdotes and the hyperbole.

When you have factual evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a force of major disruption, you let us know.  Until then, shhhhh.

SAR I

His own words are factual evidence. Deal with it. 

11 minutes ago, August said:

His own words are factual evidence. Deal with it. 

Just stop already.  Ryan Fitzpatrick's behavior has no correlation to the other one you want to talk about so much.  When you have factual evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a force of major disruption, you let us know.  Until then, shhhhh.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Just stop already.  Ryan Fitzpatrick's behavior has no correlation to the other one you want to talk about so much.  When you have factual evidence that Ryan Fitzpatrick was a force of major disruption, you let us know.  Until then, shhhhh.

SAR I

When the coaching staff doesn't believe in you and the ownership doesn't believe in you and the front office doesn't believe in you. Rather than owning up to the fact that his terrible play got him benched, he acted as if he got benched because they didn't believe in him. 

5 minutes ago, August said:

When the coaching staff doesn't believe in you and the ownership doesn't believe in you and the front office doesn't believe in you. Rather than owning up to the fact that his terrible play got him benched, he acted as if he got benched because they didn't believe in him. 

That's a fair interpretation from someone who didn't watch the press conference.

But those that did know what he meant.  The full transcript:

"The biggest thing in this game -- to last -- is to have belief in yourself, because when the owner stops believing in you and the GM stops believing in you and the coaches stop believing in you, sometimes all you have is yourself. That's kind of something I've dealt with before and something I'm dealing with now. I think it's not easy but my teammates believing in me is a big thing. I think their opinion of me is kind of what drives me and what matters so I know I still have that belief in the huddle and that is what matters to me. You know, it's not the easiest thing -- I'm human -- it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. But it's something I've dealt with and again, I'm just relying on my support system and believe in myself."

Look up the meaning of the term self-deprecation.

SAR I

12 minutes ago, SAR I said:

That's a fair interpretation from someone who didn't watch the press conference.

But those that did know what he meant.  The full transcript:

"The biggest thing in this game -- to last -- is to have belief in yourself, because when the owner stops believing in you and the GM stops believing in you and the coaches stop believing in you, sometimes all you have is yourself. That's kind of something I've dealt with before and something I'm dealing with now. I think it's not easy but my teammates believing in me is a big thing. I think their opinion of me is kind of what drives me and what matters so I know I still have that belief in the huddle and that is what matters to me. You know, it's not the easiest thing -- I'm human -- it's not the easiest thing in the world to deal with. But it's something I've dealt with and again, I'm just relying on my support system and believe in myself."

Look up the meaning of the term self-deprecation.

SAR I

So instead saying that I need to play better and I deserved to lose my job due to my poor play. He goes into a tirade about people not believing in him? And this type of behavior is inductive to a healthy locker room environment? 

2 hours ago, August said:

We wouldn't have went 10-6 without Fitzpatrick therefore we went 5-11 because of Fitzpatrick. Let's keep it consistent. 

yep, i guess fitz was responsible for shelly's 2.5 sacks or revis getting burned repeatedly, or skrine's pass interference calls, or marshall's dropped passes.  imo the fitz bashers need to keep it consistent and understand that fitz wasn't the only problem.  there were far bigger ones beyond fitz's control.

4 minutes ago, August said:

So instead saying that I need to play better and I deserved to lose my job due to my poor play. He goes into a tirade about people not believing in him? And this type of behavior is inductive to a healthy locker room environment? 

let's put this argument in terms that most can understand.  in 2016 marshall caught 59 passes and had a reception rate of 46%.  fitz completed 228 passes for a completion rate of 56%. in 2015 marshall's reception rate was 63%.  assuming marshall matched that rate in 2016 means he would've caught an additional 18 passes or so.  also assuming those passes were thrown by fitz and that would push fitz's completions up to 246 and his completion rate up to 61%.  I have no idea what that would've done to his qbr.  i realize this is imperfect because marshall also caught passes (and dropped them) from petty and geno but the point remains that marshall left at least 234 reception yards on the table because of his drops.

the bottom line is fitz was let down by the players around him.  understand that he is gone and it's time to move into the future but it's not fair to blame him solely for the jets record last season.

30 minutes ago, rangerous said:

yep, i guess fitz was responsible for shelly's 2.5 sacks or revis getting burned repeatedly, or skrine's pass interference calls, or marshall's dropped passes.  imo the fitz bashers need to keep it consistent and understand that fitz wasn't the only problem.  there were far bigger ones beyond fitz's control.

This post exemplifies the point I was making before. Good day sir. 

let's put this argument in terms that most can understand.  in 2016 marshall caught 59 passes and had a reception rate of 46%.  fitz completed 228 passes for a completion rate of 56%. in 2015 marshall's reception rate was 63%.  assuming marshall matched that rate in 2016 means he would've caught an additional 18 passes or so.  also assuming those passes were thrown by fitz and that would push fitz's completions up to 246 and his completion rate up to 61%.  I have no idea what that would've done to his qbr.  i realize this is imperfect because marshall also caught passes (and dropped them) from petty and geno but the point remains that marshall left at least 234 reception yards on the table because of his drops.
the bottom line is fitz was let down by the players around him.  understand that he is gone and it's time to move into the future but it's not fair to blame him solely for the jets record last season.

Dude Fitz was awful, beyond awful. I told you before the season it was stupid to sign him, and it clearly was.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

On April 19, 2017 at 3:48 PM, rangerous said:

Your right Fitz wasnt 100% to blame he was only maybe 60% to blame 

On April 19, 2017 at 3:33 PM, Dcat said:

I don't know if he was a source of disruption or not, but one thing I do know.  He sucks ass and never should have been brought back.  

Fitz's attitude and publicly throwing Bowles under the bus for getting benched after playing like crap was the diarrhea icing on the turd cake

I hate Bowles and am counting down the days til both he and Macagnan are fired next January but that nonsense is unacceptable from a bad player

Archived