Ryan Fitzpatrick opens up about hardest year, how it made him consider retirement.

joewilly12

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick opens up to Daily News about 'hardest year' with Jets, how it made QB consider retirement

Ryan Fitzpatrick says he has no plans to retire from the NFL right now.

Ryan Fitzpatrick says he has no plans to retire from the NFL right now.

(ED MULHOLLAND/GETTY IMAGES)

Ryan Fitzpatrick gave it a couple of weeks after the Jets dreadful season, thought about whether he wanted to continue to play in the NFL, and decided he was not ready to give it up.

Now, at home in New Jersey, he waits for the phone to ring.

“I’m working out, excited for my next opportunity,” Fitzpatrick told the Daily News on Tuesday in his first comments since baggie day at the end of the season. “Once the draft happens, the picture will become much clearer.”

The pain from the Jets' disappointing 5-11 season was so bad that Fitz had to take a step back to assess if his heart was still into playing. That was understandable after last season’s Jets Mess that left the players and the organization drained. Fitz realized he was still all-in and wanted to give it his best shot to play his 13th season. He’s gone through the first two months of free agency without an offer, which doesn’t surprise him.

Fitzpatrick's two years with Jets about more than wins and losses

“Last year was the hardest year I’ve had,” Fitzpatrick said. “Last year was the most difficult year for me. Not physically, just kind of mentally and emotionally. I had to take a step back and think about it. Is this something I still want to do? Football is something so ingrained in me, something I love doing and definitely something I want to do. I still want to compete and I still think I can contribute whether I am in a starting role or whatever capacity.”

Fitz and the Jets suffered through a miserable season one year after they were 10-6 and nearly made the playoffs. He had a career-year in 2015, but it was ruined when he threw interceptions on the final three possessions of the Jets' final game of the season, a 22-17 loss in Buffalo, which eliminated them from a wild-card spot. Even so, Fitzpatrick was coming off his best season and was a free agent.

It didn’t do the Jets or Fitzpatrick any good that an agreement wasn’t reached on a one-year $12 million deal until the day the team reported to training camp. Fitzpatrick missed the entire offseason program. Was that the reason his play slipped? Was it the Jets' much harder schedule? Was it Eric Decker being lost for the season after just three games?

Whatever, Fitz first lost his job to Geno Smith and then to Bryce Petty and got it back each time because of injuries.

Here’s what the perfect schedule would look like for the Jets

The next wave of free agent signings will begin after teams assess what they’ve picked up in the April 27-29 draft. There is still a quarterback shortage and a need for a 34-year-old quarterback who can step in and play and is capable of recreating — with the right pieces around him — what he did with the Jets in 2015.

Tony Romo’s decision to retire opens up a spot on the quarterback carousel. Fitz is much better than Kellen Moore, the backup to Dak Prescott in Dallas, so perhaps the Cowboys could be an option. Bucs backup Mike Glennon is now the Bears starter, leaving Ryan Griffin (0 career passes) and Sean Renfree (7 career passes) as Jameis Winston’s backups in Tampa. Fitz would be an upgrade.

He clearly won’t find a job where he is the starter going into training camp, but he would be an improvement as the No. 2 for more than half the teams in the league. He would be a good mentor for Jared Goff with the Rams, the team that drafted Fitz in 2005. Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick are also still available, so there is competition.

There’s also no avoiding the numbers Fitzpatrick put on his 2016 resume: 3-8 record as the starter with 12 touchdowns, 17 interceptions and just 2,710 yards passing. One year earlier, he was 10-6 with a franchise-record 31 touchdowns with 15 interceptions. He threw for 3,905 yards and Decker and Brandon Marshall became the first pair of Jets receivers to each go over 1,000 yards in the same season since 1998 when Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet were able to do it.

Jets GM has 'no regrets' on bringing QB Ryan Fitzpatrick back

NOV. 27, 2016 FILE PHOTO

Ryan Fitzpatrick couldn’t duplicate his stellar 2015 season with the Jets.

(BILL KOSTROUN/AP)

Fitzpatrick has started for six different teams in his 12-year career. The Jets initially traded for him two years ago to back up Smith, but that plan changed when Smith got his jaw broken in a locker room fight one month before the season. Fitz stepped in and Smith never was given the opportunity to win back his job.

Even though he missed the entire offseason, Todd Bowles immediately put Fitz back in with the first team after he signed. The one-year deal was a solution that could have been reached months earlier. The Jets, however, were interested in signing him to a three-year deal, $24 million deal. The issue was after offering him $12 million in the first year, the Jets wanted to cut his salary to $6 million in each of the last two years, which is backup money.

The Jets did offer to guarantee $3 million of Fitz’s money in 2017, and by turning it down, he cost himself a bunch of money.

Regrets?

Jets players react to first day of offseason workouts 

“Not at all,” Fitzpatrick said.

The Jets' three-year offer went along with their plan to have Christian Hackenberg start this year, which now apparently has been put on hold with the signing of journeyman Josh McCown to a one-year, $6 million contract. McCown is expected to open the season as the Jets starter with Hackenberg taking over at some point.

Fitzpatrick has been busy enough at home working out and being with his kids that he didn’t sound stressed at all about his job situation. His wife Liza recently gave birth to their sixth child. After two boys, they’ve had four girls in a row.

“We can finally call ourselves the SixPatricks,” he said.

Mehta's Jets Mailbag: Why Gang Green cut Brandon Marshall

He has taken on an immense project: On Friday he will be in his 10-year-old son’s elementary school teaching a Rubik’s Cube class to 10 second- and third-graders.

Fitzpatrick is hoping to get another chance in the NFL. It’s got to be easier than teaching a Rubik’s Cube class to a bunch of kids.

Fixed

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

Why did you even start this thread? Im over fitz.

29 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Daily News posted the article and its Jets related..... last time I checked this is a Jets football message board. 

Joewilly12 is madly in love with Fitzpatrick and who are we to judge him for it?

It's 2017, Boys pee in girls bathrooms and girls pee in boys bathrooms. And men and women wear vagina hats. If Joewilly12 loves Fitzpatrick, it's his right.

Joewilly12 is madly in love with Fitzpatrick and who are we to judge him for it?
It's 2017, Boys pee in girls bathrooms and girls pee in boys bathrooms. And men and women wear vagina hats. If Joewilly12 loves Fitzpatrick, it's his right.

What's mcelroy up to? I never liked that guy

5 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

You are a lying fraud EVERYONE on this board knows I hate Ryan Fitzpatrick and despised him being on the NY Jets.

Whats wit you dude always making false accusations and telling lies you have serious mental issues and need to seek some help. 

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When thinking about the Fitzpatrick situation with the Jets, it becomes increasingly clear that Mike Maccagnan is one of those rare people that can be tricked into punching himself in the balls. 

You have a lot of great lines but every once in awhile you come up with a true gem and this is one of those times!!!:D

44 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

You are a lying fraud EVERYONE on this board knows I hate Ryan Fitzpatrick and despised him being on the NY Jets.

Whats wit you dude always making false accusations and telling lies you have serious mental issues and need to seek some help. 

Woh! Is that anyway to talk to a new friend? You told me earlier today your a Fitz lover, I'm just standing up for my new friend, and this is how you thank me?

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

What else can you expect? First he kissed sh*tzpatricks butt, then he lobbied for the return of Geno"friggin"Smith and then he changed his tune yet again and is now saying draft Deshaun Watson. Ride that bandwagon JoeWilly to the bitter end!

5 hours ago, shuler82 said:

with 19 less TDs and 1200 less yards.  But if we take away a few games in 2015 i'm sure we can get those averages to match up to 2016. 

My point is that the stupid KC debacle skews his stats and is an outlier.

SAR I

5 hours ago, Mike135 said:

And any of those options are better than (woosah) Mr. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Most ideal situation?...

Trade away our 1st and 2nd this year.  End up with 3 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in 2018.

Let the young guys develop this year and throw Hack to the wolves.  See if he comes out a QB or fails.

Come this time next year we either have a franchise QB or are in postion to draft any QB we want w/o mortgaging the future.  All while the young players on the team developed another year.

The perfect setup to rebuild.

Wasting seasons with a ... (woosah) ... Mr. Ryan Fitzpatrick, is the worst possible outcome imaginable.

I agree with your thesis, just saying [perhaps not to you but to others] be careful what you wish for.

Methinks 80% of JN is going to be begging for a .500 caliber quarterback next November and that's the guy many are excited to see leave, as if losing him is an improvement.  Does it move our future forward?  Yes, definitely.  But if the Jets are looking for a quarterback capable of 8-8 and with some breaks 10-6, Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been a better bridge quarterback than Josh McCown who is 2-20 in the last 3 seasons.  2-20.  That's not some aberration.  That's nothing, nothing, to be excited about.

SAR I

5 hours ago, rangerous said:

i'm glad someone brought this up.  some people were all saying geno would have fewer ints than fitz but when you do eliminate the kc game, fitz clearly was not the ont machine that geno was.  at this point it's all water under the bridge. i have my opinion as to what went wrong last season but the mods wouldn't like it.

Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland, Buffalo were Fitzpatrick wins.

Cincinnati and Miami were Fitzpatrick wins at the 2:00 warning before the D and ST blew them.

Rams and 49ers games would have been easy Fitzpatrick wins as they were for Petty.

That's 8-8.  With a sh*tty team that quit on its head coach, that played like it didn't care, that was one of the worst effort and worst attitude Jets teams in history.

They wanted him gone, so he is.  Josh McCown is 2-20 in his last 22 games over the last 3 years.  Think about that.  And they're applauding.

SAR I

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Fuuck Fitzloser, least favorite Jets player ever. Self serving, arrogant, phoney, douche nozzle. I HATE him. Set this franchise back at least 2 years.

...you describe Geno Smith but you forgot 2 extra years of setback.

SAR I

7 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Buffalo, Baltimore, Cleveland, Buffalo were Fitzpatrick wins.

Cincinnati and Miami were Fitzpatrick wins at the 2:00 warning before the D and ST blew them.

Rams and 49ers games would have been easy Fitzpatrick wins as they were for Petty.

That's 8-8.  With a sh*tty team that quit on its head coach, that played like it didn't care, that was one of the worst effort and worst attitude Jets teams in history.

They wanted him gone, so he is.  Josh McCown is 2-20 in his last 22 games over the last 3 years.  Think about that.  And they're applauding.

SAR I

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, Larz said:

And fitz isnt a jet anymore
Let it go dude

This concept of "let it go" is so convenient yet so completely wrong.

Mark Sanchez is not a Jet anymore.  "Let it go".  Yeah, because handing the franchise over to Geno Smith was such a great decision.

Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a Jet anymore.  "Let it go".  Yeah, because Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg need to be tutored by one of the few quarterback's in the NFL that's worse.

It would be nice if we could actually have fans own their mistakes and not "let it go". 

SAR I

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Wait a minute.  You're joking, yes?  The season hasn't been over long enough for you to pull this 180 crap.

SAR I

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

:lol: Thank you. the irony just made my evening. Bless you. :)

22 minutes ago, SAR I said:

I agree with your thesis, just saying [perhaps not to you but to others] be careful what you wish for.

Methinks 80% of JN is going to be begging for a .500 caliber quarterback next November and that's the guy many are excited to see leave, as if losing him is an improvement.  Does it move our future forward?  Yes, definitely.  But if the Jets are looking for a quarterback capable of 8-8 and with some breaks 10-6, Ryan Fitzpatrick would have been a better bridge quarterback than Josh McCown who is 2-20 in the last 3 seasons.  2-20.  That's not some aberration.  That's nothing, nothing, to be excited about.

SAR I

Right.  I definitely do not want 7 or 8 wins.  (From a veteran.  If Hack or Petty can do that, that'd be cool.)

Imo, forget about a bridge QB now.  Hack or Petty succeed or the combination of them and McCown get us a top 5 pick.

McCown's last 3 seasons, his teams have "earned" the 1st, 2nd and 1st picks.  Let's hope we don't mess up that trend.

11 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

In fairness, he had so few suitors for two reasons:

1. Most teams already had the position filled

2. Maccagnan had already offered him a contract with $12m in year 1, $15m guaranteed total, and incentives that could have brought up the 2nd/3rd years to $12m per as well. Nobody else was going to match (let alone outbid) that amount, and what's more it's a contract Fitz scoffed at since he was seeking far more.

If we'd offered him 1 yr $7m or less, someone else may have shown serious interest but that isn't known either.

Only a team WORSE than the JETS would be "bluffed" into this move. I stand on my statement. Our front office has no balls and actually put their team on the back of a journeyman who was shown the door by 5 teams. Please... there is no support for the JETS here.  Having Fitz scoff at us, threaten to retire and then after we cut him says he wont retire tells me I want to play poker with our GM.

13 hours ago, Mike135 said:

And any of those options are better than (woosah) Mr. Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Most ideal situation?...

Trade away our 1st and 2nd this year.  End up with 3 1st rounders and 2 2nd rounders in 2018.

Let the young guys develop this year and throw Hack to the wolves.  See if he comes out a QB or fails.

Come this time next year we either have a franchise QB or are in postion to draft any QB we want w/o mortgaging the future.  All while the young players on the team developed another year.

The perfect setup to rebuild.

Wasting seasons with a ... (woosah) ... Mr. Ryan Fitzpatrick, is the worst possible outcome imaginable.

Wow, I almost fell out of my chair on this one.

You, having a plan for the Jets, that DOESNT involve Geno?

Cats and dogs, living together, mass hysteria!!

This concept of "let it go" is so convenient yet so completely wrong.
Mark Sanchez is not a Jet anymore.  "Let it go".  Yeah, because handing the franchise over to Geno Smith was such a great decision.
Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a Jet anymore.  "Let it go".  Yeah, because Bryce Petty, and Christian Hackenberg need to be tutored by one of the few quarterback's in the NFL that's worse.
It would be nice if we could actually have fans own their mistakes and not "let it go". 
SAR I

This is a throw away season. All that matters is the pups get reps. The only reason to watch a jets game this year is if hack is starting. Supporting a franchise that is starting mccown is insane.

2 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Fitz can't retire as long as there are more young QBs to be injured. Fitz is a worse curse than the Madden cover. 

Fitz's only shot at even being in the NFL next year is some QB has a freak injury in TC or preseason.

Pathetic.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Only a team WORSE than the JETS would be "bluffed" into this move. I stand on my statement. Our front office has no balls and actually put their team on the back of a journeyman who was shown the door by 5 teams. Please... there is no support for the JETS here.  Having Fitz scoff at us, threaten to retire and then after we cut him says he wont retire tells me I want to play poker with our GM.

I never got the urgency with resigning Fitz last year.  Yes he's better than Geno but not by much.

Ditto for the Wilkerson extension.  Nice player but no interior DL player not named JJ Watt deserves a $100 million contract

8 more months

Archived