Who is your top choice at 6?

Lil Woody

Who is your top choice at 6?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. I listed the 10 most discussed potential options for the Jets at 6. Given your pick of any of them, with no trade down options on the table....who do you take at 6?

• OJ Howard, TE, Alabama
    • Jamal Adams, SS, LSU
    • Marshon Lattimore, CB, OSU
    • Malik Hooker, FS, OSU
    • Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU
    • Derek Barnett, OLB, Tennessee
    • Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
    • Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
    • Mitch Trubisky, QB, UNC
    • Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

31 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Dude it's crazy how this dominant this team would be with me as GM since like 2012. I mean wowzas. 

Pretty much.  The only miss I’d have in recent memory is Quinton Coples.  While I liked Melvin Ingram, I liked Coples better.  Before that you’d have to back to Derrick Harvey over Gholston even though both busted, I went all homer on that one. 

I still feel shame to this day for both. 

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
56 minutes ago, JiF said:

Pretty much.  The only miss I’d have in recent memory is Quinton Coples.  While I liked Melvin Ingram, I liked Coples better.  Before that you’d have to back to Derrick Harvey over Gholston even though both busted, I went all homer on that one. 

I was all about Melvin Ingram on edge rushers however I'm also on record taking DeCastro if the Jets weren't so dumb not making me their GM.

I Screwed up on Warmack though. He still might have something and develop late but....nobody's perfect. sigh

55 minutes ago, JiF said:

I was on the Harvey bandwagon too!

Mingo's too.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

You gave the Adams pick an A- 

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

And? 

Edit: I’d like to see a link.  Curious what I wrote 

Here's the Deal. Giving the Jets a high grade after they pick a player is just normal for any non self loathing fan. 

I do it all the time. You talk about who you'd like etc. they make the pick, you say something like I'd have taken so and so but....and then you try to look at all the positives and hope for the best. That's natural...until about year 2- 3 and you're like ok **** this, this guy sucks.

Doesnt mean that's who JiF would have taken, just normal as a fan to try and get into the pick.  

On 4/28/2017 at 8:02 AM, JiF said:

I gave it an A-.  The - because it's a S.  The A because I think they got one of the safest/cleanest prospect in the draft. 

On 4/28/2017 at 8:17 AM, JiF said:

I think this take is misguided.  Adams is much more than a SS.  He can definitely cover.  Adams is one of those born to play Football types with a father who was in the league so he's got the pedigree.

High School All-American 5 star recruit top 10 in his high school class, All SEC, 2nd team All-American team captain - he was destined to be a top 10 pick.  

I understand the frustration but Adams is legit. 

On 4/28/2017 at 8:54 AM, JiF said:

I do think he can cover.  Some have called him the best CB in the draft as well as S.   He showed he could do it all in college; cover, play zone, man up at LOS, blitz, play the run, play single high.  He's got speed, that's not an issue.  I think he's much more than a SS.  He's very versatile. 

Like I said, to me it's Leo all over again.  

On 4/28/2017 at 9:18 AM, JiF said:

I'm pretty confident.  I think the other cool thing to remember is that the draft isnt over.  Not every player that scores point, rushes the passer and covers people were taken in the 1st round. 

On 4/28/2017 at 9:23 AM, JiF said:

My overall faith that they get the 2nd round right is very low...but still, its possible.  haha

@JiF

@JiF

Well, I wasn’t wrong as proof of how many different positions he took snaps at and he is clearly a good player (just not #6 worthy).  Where I was wrong, is that he can cover which had a lot to do with that 2nd 40 time he posted at his pro day.  He clearly doesn’t have that speed.  

And I think this was also me coming to grips with passing on Watson.  Like @HessStation said, you kind of convince yourself it as a fan.  I bet most of my post draft grades are pretty favorable sans 2016 which I’m pretty sure I even tried to rationalize Hack at one point.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Well, I wasn’t wrong as proof of how many different positions he took snaps at and he is clearly a good player (just not #6 worthy).  Where I was wrong, is that he can cover which had a lot to do with that 2nd 40 time he posted at his pro day.  He clearly doesn’t have that speed.  

And I think this was also me coming to grips with passing on Watson.  Like @HessStation said, you kind of convince yourself it as a fan.  I bet most of my post draft grades are pretty favorable sans 2016 which I’m pretty sure I even tried to rationalize Hack at one point.  

I think we all tried to rationalize Hack at some point or another. I know I sure did. To hell and back. “Franklin screwed him up”, “look at his pro offense results” blah blah blah. 

7 minutes ago, Freemanm said:

I'm not really into college football. What happened to Josh Allen? Why did he fall so far in mock drafts? I thought the Jets were high on this kid. Did he get arrested or something? Is this a good thing that he fell so far?

His accuracy has scared some off.. 56 completion %. 57 last yr. he looks like another hackenberg, why Mac prob does love him ha

47 minutes ago, JiF said:

44 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I think we all tried to rationalize Hack at some point or another. I know I sure did. To hell and back. “Franklin screwed him up”, “look at his pro offense results” blah blah blah. 

Without a doubt. Once they're picked all you want to do is believe they'll be great until you see for sure that there not. I think I tried to hold on with Sanchez all the way to Year 4, even when I knew deep down, this wasn't looking good. I tried the same thing with Kyle Wilson, "some players just take longer to develop" I'd say lol. etc etc. Justin Miller was another. 

Just now, HessStation said:

Without a doubt. Once they're picked all you want to do is believe they'll be great until you see for sure that there not. I think I tried to hold on with Sanchez all the way to Year 4, even when I knew deep down, this wasn't looking good. I tried the same thing with Kyle Wilson, "some players just take longer to develop" I'd say lol. etc etc. I mean and even Hackenberg, I still want to sorta see him play before I completely slam the door shut, even though you know the odds ain't looking too good, like at all.

Win4evers gif. breakdowns last year had me CONVINCED Bryce Petty knew where to go with the ball at all times and he was progressing mentally...was a big supporter until the first game he started this year. Mark I had hope in the most..lol foolishly.. I hung on until 2012. So yeah about 4 years for me too. Kyle Wilson I knew was garbage from the start..but I thought maybe Revis and Cro could of coached him up. That was super naive of me.

7 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Win4evers gif. breakdowns last year had me CONVINCED Bryce Petty knew where to go with the ball at all times and he was progressing mentally...was a big supporter until the first game he started this year. Mark I had hope in the most..lol foolishly.. I hung on until 2012. So yeah about 4 years for me too. Kyle Wilson I knew was garbage from the start..but I thought maybe Revis and Cro could of coached him up. That was super naive of me.

Another example, tbh, Mayfield and Jackson scare the living sh*t out of me as the #6 overall pick, but so help me god I'll spend the next 4 years trying to look at every possible positive if the Jets drafted either of them. Not to mention I'm sorta wanting them to take the risk...which is weird, but that's pretty much where I'm at with this team.

4 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Another example, tbh, Mayfield and Jackson scare the living sh*t out of me as the #6 overall pick, but so help me god I'll spend the next 4 years trying to look at every possible positive if the Jets drafted either of them. Not to mention I'm sorta wanting them to take the risk...which is weird, but that's pretty much where I'm at with this team.

We haven’t taken the risk on a 1st round prospect since 09’. I’m dead set on doing it in 2018. It’s beyond time. I’m scared too...but Mark Sanchez college resume vs Mayfield’s college resume..makes me feel a whole lot better.

17 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

We haven’t taken the risk on a 1st round prospect since 09’. I’m dead set on doing it in 2018. It’s beyond time. I’m scared too...but Mark Sanchez college resume vs Mayfield’s college resume..makes me feel a whole lot better.

Why this year and not last or next year?

2 minutes ago, legler82 said:

Why this year and not last or next year?

Tbh with you I was not inspired by the QB class last year. I’m not scared to admit I thought Watson who is a spread QB wouldnt be that great on a pro level. Mitch played 11 games and I wasn’t willing to go Mahomes in the first. Next year? I really don’t see anyone fantastic coming out. I have been amped for this class since last year because I feel like there are 2 or 3 franchise QB’s in this class. I could be wrong. I was wrong with Watson. But this class is the ideal class to take one in the first round in my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

Tbh with you I was not inspired by the QB class last year. I’m not scared to admit I thought Watson who is a spread QB wouldnt be that great on a pro level. Mitch played 11 games and I wasn’t willing to go Mahomes in the first. Next year? I really don’t see anyone fantastic coming out. I have been amped for this class since last year because I feel like there are 2 or 3 franchise QB’s in this class. I could be wrong. I was wrong with Watson. But this class is the ideal class to take one in the first round in my opinion.

I think the mindset of having to come away with a (i.e. "any") QB early in this year's draft is what led us to drafting Geno in 2013 and Hack in 2016.  The toxic byproduct of that was us then passing on Bridgewater/Carr/Garoppolo in 2014 and Watson/Mahomes this year.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

His accuracy has scared some off.. 56 completion %. 57 last yr. he looks like another hackenberg, why Mac prob does love him ha

Thanks. He sounds like another Hackenberg. Does he often throw the ball at receivers' feet? Can he hit the ocean?

Ok so looking back at this shame on this whole place, seriously shame, shame, shame, shame, shame!  The same masses that want the Jets to draft Mayfield are the same morons that made OJ Howard the top voted player on this poll!  Why because most here just remember the last thing they see on a college field, and last year it was Howard going off in the NC game, but he is a ******* TE!  Seriously you morons voted for a ******* TE at 6 overall think about that, no seriously THINK ABOUT THAT!  Shame.

1 hour ago, HessStation said:

Yeah 1 year to late unfortunately, last year was the year to roll the dice at QB at 6 this year not so much.

Well Stidham will probably be better then all the 2018 QB’s.

3 hours ago, legler82 said:

I think the mindset of having to come away with a (i.e. "any") QB early in this year's draft is what led us to drafting Geno in 2013 and Hack in 2016.  The toxic byproduct of that was us then passing on Bridgewater/Carr/Garoppolo in 2014 and Watson/Mahomes this year.

That's a really good point. But, would you agree that this class is a lot better than Geno's class was (EJ Manuel, Mike Glennon, Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib, etc.) ? I mean, I just can't imagine it turning out anywhere near as badly. 

I feel like this year is a MUCH better year to have that (admittedly questionable) mentality. 

So a bunch of people wanted the cheapest positions to fill via free agency: safety, TE, and RB. It is as imprudent today as it was then. This was precisely my point in the middle of this thread back in April, that the reason they are stupid picks is because those that don't draft these positions so highly can still fill them quite adequately well after #6 overall or via FA outright. 

Meanwhile we needed a FQB and a consistently disruptive pass rusher, and the only way to do that adequately via FA is praying for the rare event of one being available - and his desiring to come to the NYJ above all others - via FA. How many younger players capable of 15-sack seasons (or capable of it for more than one final season in their primes) hit free agency? Very, very few. You typically have to find them in the draft. The best LTs you usually get in FA are ones wrapping up their careers, or you overpay massively for the likes of Okung or cross fingers a player like Beachum can again become a top 30 tackle (which he isn't). 

The calculus I used was and is based on historical trends:

• in FA (and later in the draft) it's far easier to find, and far easier to fit $-wise, the following positions: SS, FS, RB, TE, G, C, RT, ILB, non-pass-rushing OLB.
  • in FA and later in the draft, it's much harder to find, for even double the above positions' cost, the positions of: FQB, elite edge rusher, top-level LT, shutdown CB, or premiere-level WRs.

If no one in the latter group is available with our top pick, then trade up to get one or trade down to accumulate assets, and don't get caught up in BAP ratings made by people not charged with the task completing entire rosters. Otherwise you box yourself into decisions like assessing Darron Lee being more valuable at #20 than a later 1st round pick plus another 2nd or 3rd rounder (or even a trade like a 2nd rounder that year plus a 1st round pick a year later).

To do otherwise is taking the low-percentage approach to team success, which prays for the likes of Hackenberg, Petty, Fitz, McCown, etc. to become FQBs, and OLBs with 4.8 speed like Mauldin to become consistent QB-disrupters while we stock up on another king-sized DE with our top pick when we already had 3 of them still under rookie contracts.

Archived