Moneyball in the NFL - do we want this?

TuscanyTile2

Basically the Browns are the litmus test.  If they succeed then others will follow their approach.  Do we want money ball in the NFL?  To me it seems kinda soulless. But it's probably going to be the way of the future regardless.  But if you're looking for an excuse to root against the Browns , there it is!

imo it's tough to say. the nfl is too much of a team sport compared to baseball for sabermetrics to work well.  i do think some elements can be applied (and probaby are) with regard to the relative worth of drafting positions as much as drafting players.  by this i mean you don't draft an offensive guard with the first pick but maybe down at 25-32 and certainly in later rounds.

6 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Pats are the NFL money ball team- works for them. But... like the NBA you need stars at certain positions to succeed.

Pats could never succeed doing the things they do without Tom Brady at QB. He takes less money than the top QBs, but might be the best QB in the history of the game! His best games have come in some of the worst weather conditions. He elevates his game to incredible levels in big games & drives.

Even in his 2 losses to the Giants he got the Patriots the lead that their defense couldn't hold. You have to take everything the Pats do with a grain of salt because Brady is not only a leader, he's an additional head coach on the field who demands excellence from everyone and if you don't know what your role is, miss blocks, or drop passes, Brady relates that frustration to Belichick & your either cut or traded & someone takes your place.

Brady has the pelts so when you f*ck up, he'll call you out on the field or the sideline, we've all seen it. Brady does not accept mistakes. How many teams have that type of leader who's been in the same system with the same coach for going on 17 years?

The Pats situation is an anomaly in todays NFL, probably never to happen again once Brady & Belichick call it a day.

5 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Pats could never succeed doing the things they do without Tom Brady at QB. He takes less money than the top QBs, but might be the best QB in the history of the game! His best games have come in some of the worst weather conditions. He elevates his game to incredible levels in big games & drives.

Even in his 2 losses to the Giants he got the Patriots the lead that their defense couldn't hold. You have to take everything the Pats do with a grain of salt because Brady is not only a leader, he's an additional head coach on the field who demands excellence from everyone and if you don't know what your role is, miss blocks, or drop passes, Brady relates that frustration to Belichick & your either cut or traded & someone takes your place.

Brady has the pelts so when you f*ck up, he'll call you out on the field or the sideline, we've all seen it. Brady does not accept mistakes. How many teams have that type of leader who's been in the same system with the same coach for going on 17 years?

The Pats situation is an anomaly in todays NFL, probably never to happen again once Brady & Belichick call it a day.

Cough *deflated footballs* cough

52 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Pats are the NFL money ball team- works for them. But... like the NBA you need stars at certain positions to succeed.

Basically this. It also applies to the Steelers. Get rid of overpriced established guys and trust your process to identify cheap young guys, acquire specific role playing cheap veterans, rinse and repeat. 

10 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Basically this. It also applies to the Steelers. Get rid of overpriced established guys and trust your process to identify cheap young guys, acquire specific role playing cheap veterans, rinse and repeat. 

**** math.

Don't the Steelers have like five offensive players making over $10M?

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Basically the Browns are the litmus test.  If they succeed then others will follow their approach.  Do we want money ball in the NFL?  To me it seems kinda soulless. But it's probably going to be the way of the future regardless.  But if you're looking for an excuse to root against the Browns , there it is!

Its time. Look at the last few Qbs drafted in rounds 1-3.  What percentage have panned out?  Yet Brady and Wilson are top QB's in the league.

These GMs aren't as smart as we think.  Was listening to a report about how a guy will impress at the combine and move up the board.

yet on the field he was average. If we use a metric to analyze real on the field effort, it would have been clear that Brady was a top pick as was Russel Wilson.

Yet we continue to look for the 6-4 big arm guy. Hows that worked out?  

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Its time. Look at the last few Qbs drafted in rounds 1-3.  What percentage have panned out?  Yet Brady and Wilson are top QB's in the league.

These GMs aren't as smart as we think.  Was listening to a report about how a guy will impress at the combine and move up the board.

yet on the field he was average. If we use a metric to analyze real on the field effort, it would have been clear that Brady was a top pick as was Russel Wilson.

Yet we continue to look for the 6-4 big arm guy. Hows that worked out?  

Why?  

What exactly is moneyball in your statement?  Gathering multiple picks to increase your chances on hitting on productive NFL players -thats been done by successful teams (Dallas - JJ era, Pats and Baltimore) for years. 

Do you mean taking on salary in exchange for draft picks -again thats smart, the reason it hasnt been done is NFL teams are reluctant to alienate their fan base by "tanking".

Its not a question of GMs being smart or not, if there was a formula to finding successful players at any position, everyone would know and use the formula.  Drafting isnt like that which is why the more picks you have the more you appear successful since people remember the good picks you have and the busts dont hurt your team as much.  Its just math, not money ball

3 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Im not sure why Brady was pushed to 6th round...  BUT read about his performance as a senior. Especially in the Cotton Bowl.

Today he would be a 1st rounder based on his senior year alone.  

61% 2217 yards 16/6

No big deal.  Trubisky threw as many TDs in his senior year as Brady did his entire college career and he only threw one more INT his last year.

68% 3748 30/7

Brady's senior year was no big deal and his junior year was moderately lame. How about these numbers?

67.8% 2895 21/55  Look at those numbers!  That guy must be good.  But the scouts, and most of us, looked at his build and throwing motion and most knew he wouldn't succeed at QB.  

7 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

61% 2217 yards 16/6

No big deal.  Trubisky threw as many TDs in his senior year as Brady did his entire college career and he only threw one more INT his last year.

68% 3748 30/7

Brady's senior year was no big deal and his junior year was moderately lame. How about these numbers?

67.8% 2895 21/55  Look at those numbers!  That guy must be good.  But the scouts, and most of us, looked at his build and throwing motion and most knew he wouldn't succeed at QB.  

Plus the cheating and addiction to dicks knocked him down at least 3-4 rounds.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Pats could never succeed doing the things they do without Tom Brady at QB. He takes less money than the top QBs, but might be the best QB in the history of the game!

If you believe that, I've got some swamp land for sale.

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

22 minutes ago, peebag said:

Fact! Tom Brady has never been paid in any year as high a salary as Drew Brees.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

61% 2217 yards 16/6

68% 3748 30/7

His cotton bowl performance would  today warrant a strong look.  

39 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I haven't--worth reading?

I thought so.  I was familiar with a lot of the concepts, as you'd expect, but it does a nice job of explaining the ways in which humans, and even "experts" are terrible decision makers and how this thinking found it's way into economics -- interwoven with the narrative of the two psychologists who developed the theories.

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

His cotton bowl performance would  today warrant a strong look.  

Tom Brady never played in the Cotton Bowl.  I assume you meant the Orange Bowl.  It is fine to say that would have warranted a look, but acting like Tom Brady was somebody that the system missed out on because they didn't look at performance is ridiculous.  He performed basically the same as Henson and Griese.  System QB.

Brady went late because he was a part time starter without big numbers and physically he looked like a 12 year old with cement boots. Griese went in the 3rd and he put up similar numbers while going undefeated and winning Rose Bowl MVP and a national title. 

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

I thought so.  I was familiar with a lot of the concepts, as you'd expect, but it does a nice job of explaining the ways in which humans, and even "experts" are terrible decision makers and how this thinking found it's way into economics -- interwoven with the narrative of the two psychologists who developed the theories.

Nice--I'll have to give it a look. Thanks.

Archived