Kevin Greene

flgreen

Greene was one of my favorite non-Jets players when he was playing. The guy had limited physical skills, and was one of the best in the league.  He was all heart.  

I was really happy to see him added to the Jets' staff.  After last season it was clear the Jets needed that fire.  I know he had been on coaching staffs in the past, and then was out of the league for a few years.

Does anyone know why he's been unemployed for the last few years?

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

No idea.  But whatever the reason, people will try to make it out to be a huge problem and come up with a snarky nickname for him.

Just now, Lil Woody said:

No idea.  But whatever the reason, people will try to make it out to be a huge problem and come up with a snarky nickname for him.

I honestly wasn't digging for any trash on Greene.  It just seems that he is a perfect fit  for a team that showed zero fire last year.  With all the bad coaches in the NFL just wondering why he didn't have a job

I'm glad he's here

1 minute ago, flgreen said:

I honestly wasn't digging for any trash on Greene.  It just seems that he is a perfect fit  for a team that showed zero fire last year.  With all the bad coaches in the NFL just wondering why he didn't have a job

I'm glad he's here

It's a fair question.

Me too.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm glad he's here

My understanding was he left for family reasons.  He has a son of college age wanting to play football so he left coaching to train his son and be near his family.

1 minute ago, SickJetFan said:

My understanding was he left for family reasons.  He has a son of college age wanting to play football so he left coaching to train his son and be near his family.

Great answer.  I was hoping for something a bit more salty, but that works great. :)

35 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Greene was one of my favorite non-Jets players when he was playing. The guy had limited physical skills, and was one of the best in the league.  He was all heart.  

I was really happy to see him added to the Jets' staff.  After last season it was clear the Jets needed that fire.  I know he had been on coaching staffs in the past, and then was out of the league for a few years.

LImited physical skills?? Really? LOL.....

Greene retired in 1999 after registering 12 sacks (good for 7th in the NFL that year ).He finished his career as a five-time Pro Bowler and the NFL's third all-time sack leader with 160, behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White. He also finished as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks by a linebacker, ahead of players like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas....

1 minute ago, Kleckineau said:

Greene retired in 1999 after registering 12 sacks (good for 7th in the NFL that year ).He finished his career as a five-time Pro Bowler and the NFL's third all-time sack leader with 160, behind only Bruce Smith and Reggie White. He also finished as the NFL's all-time leader in sacks by a linebacker, ahead of players like Lawrence Taylor, Derrick Thomas....

Pretty sure I mentioned he was one of the best in the league.  Yes, he had limited physical tools.  He wasn't huge, he wasn't lighting quick, or fast.   He just brought 100% to every play

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Well his last name IS Greene. Which means, well you know...

Still bent out of shape from exposing your own issues a while back I see....just keep on working through your psychological problems.

tumblr_n865vdE7P91rdzuduo1_540.jpg.

9 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Pretty sure I mentioned he was one of the best in the league.  Yes, he had limited physical tools.  He wasn't huge, he wasn't lighting quick, or fast.   He just brought 100% to every play

Sorry. In the NFL you need more than just 100% effort on every play. That alone does not get you into the HOF. You need the desire, body and plenty of talent.

He was fast enough to accumulate 160 sacks.

Not huge? He was predominantly an OLB and played at almost 250lbs.

You left out high motor.

8 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Sorry. In the NFL you need more than just 100% effort on every play. That alone does not get you into the HOF. You need the desire, body and plenty of talent.

He was fast enough to accumulate 160 sacks.

Not huge? He was predominantly an OLB and played at almost 250lbs.

You left out high motor.

And intangibles....lots and lots of intangibles :)

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

I was hoping he would make another appearance on pros vs Joes. His was ine of the best episodes. Dude is an animal. 

31 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Thats like saying jerry rice had limited physical skills because he wasnt the biggest or the fastest.

Conversely, Brian Bosworth and Vernon Gholston were big, fast and had unlimited physical skills.....☺

All kidding aside. If Greene had played in NY he would be a football god.

31 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

Conversely, Brian Bosworth and Vernon Gholston were big, fast and had unlimited physical skills.....☺

All kidding aside. If Greene had played in NY he would be a football god.

Somehow I think the JETS could have figured out how to ruin him. ?

4 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

This.

3 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Somehow I think the JETS could have figured out how to ruin him. ?

Maybe ...I don't think he would have been a star who could survive in NY either way. When he was in Charlotte he was known as being kind to people when e was out uptown etc, actually his rep was that he was somewhat mean. In NY he would have been buried in the press for his behavior.

4 hours ago, sciond said:

Maybe ...I don't think he would have been a star who could survive in NY either way. When he was in Charlotte he was known as being kind to people when e was out uptown etc, actually his rep was that he was somewhat mean. In NY he would have been buried in the press for his behavior.

Now youre just making sh!t up.

Was he kind or mean make up your mind.

He would have been fine in NY he was born here and the press would have loved him.

11 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

well, he may not have been the most gifted linebacker but he played hard for each game.  the guy was positively psycho when he was out there.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

well, he may not have been the most gifted linebacker but he played hard for each game.  the guy was positively psycho when he was out there.

OK so pick your most gifted OLB is and compare his career vs Greene's

How on earth do you guys come up with this stuff?

44 minutes ago, Kleckineau said:

OK so pick your most gifted OLB is and compare his career vs Greene's

How on earth do you guys come up with this stuff?

don't get me wrong.  greene was a really good linebacker but he was not on the level of LT or derrick thomas.  he made it up with desire and hard work. and most gifted just means having god given physical ability.  there are tons of guys who could run faster or bench more or be better jumpers and so on.  greene was a great football player.

2 hours ago, Kleckineau said:

Now youre just making sh!t up.

Was he kind or mean make up your mind.

He would have been fine in NY he was born here and the press would have loved him.

I guess you know everything congratulations.....

Archived