Brandon Shell ready to compete for Jets' right tackle spot

Gas2No99

Brandon Shell ready to compete for Jets' right tackle spot

22698136-mmmain.jpeg

NORTH CALDWELL -- Brandon Shell sat. Brandon Shell watched. Brandon Shell learned. 

The first 14 weeks of last season, the Jets' fifth-round pick was a backup offensive lineman. He'd occasionally work himself in on goal line packages, but that was it. So, he spent his time soaking up everything he could from those in front of him. 

Then, when injuries forced him into the starting lineup the final three weeks of the season, he made it look like he should have been there all along. 

"That's when I realized I could play with these guys," Shell told NJ Advance Media on Monday at teammate David Harris' charity golf event

It's hard to find many positives from the Jets' horrifically dismal 2016 season. They entered with sky-high expectations, only to finish 5-11. But Shell's play those final three weeks gave fans and coaches a glimmer of hope for the future.

Against the Dolphins, Patriots and Bills, Shell didn't allow a single sack. He finished with a PFF grade of 79.9. While it wasn't for an entire season, the grade was higher than the Chiefs' Eric Fisher (76.7), Falcons' Jake Matthews (74.3), Broncos' Russell Okung (73.5) and Saints' Andrus Peat (69.8). 

"He played great the end of last year," center Wesley Johnson said. "We were all proud of him. He took his licks early on in and camp and in the preseason games. It was his turn to go in, and he stepped up. He played really well." 

Harris: Jets will 'surprise' people in 2017

Shell will compete this summer with Brent Qvale for the starting right tackle spot, per ESPN, and will rotate during camp. While the Jets did unconventionally rotate right tackles most of last year -- Ben Ijalana and Qvale would switch in-and-out during games --  in all likelihood, coach Todd Bowles will want an every-down starter for Week 1. 

Shell hopes he gets the nod. This time for more than three games. 

"I'm just coming in and competing," he said. "I'll let [offensive line] Coach [Steve] Marshall pick whoever will win the starting job. I just want to compete and give it all I've got to win the job."

Shell was one of several current and former Jets at Harris' eighth-annual golf event, which benefits the Give The Kids Hope Foundation and North Jersey Underprivileged Children.

Just now, Joe Jets fan said:

I am curious why would @Powpow neg rep a post about a young lineman talking about trying to work hard and be a starter?  What about that can you possible not like?

Just have some free time and putting it to use

1 hour ago, Joe Jets fan said:

I am curious why would @Powpow neg rep a post about a young lineman talking about trying to work hard and be a starter?  What about that can you possible not like?

Who said anything negative about Shell? You are making assumptions. 

If the second year guys can step up macs draft from 2016 could be a cornerstone draft for this team

Lee- starting LB

Hack- starting qb (unknown if he will be good though)

jenkins- starting olb

burris- starting corner

shell- starting RT

peake- wr4 maybe better

edwards- punter (needs to improve)

32 minutes ago, Barkus said:

If the second year guys can step up macs draft from 2016 could be a cornerstone draft for this team

Lee- starting LB

Hack- starting qb (unknown if he will be good though)

jenkins- starting olb

burris- starting corner

shell- starting RT

peake- wr4 maybe better

edwards- punter (needs to improve)

Even if Hack doesnt make it, to get 4 starters in Lee, Shell, Jenkins and one of Robby/Peake/Burris that is an excellent draft.

For some reason the people on the board think every OLB we pick needs to be Von Miller or they arent successful.  We didnt pass on reggie white in this past draft to take Marcus Maye, the board fell how it did and Mac took the players he thought had the best chance to be good Pro with a plan to build the rest of the team sot that if Hack makes it or we pay Kirk Cousins, or we pick Sam Darnold there will be a young nucleus in place to support that QB.

Do I want an elite edge rusher on the Jets absolutely,  but there simply arent many of them available outside the top 3 of every draft and reaching for one when there are potentially better players around isnt how you build a successful team.

56 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Even if Hack doesnt make it, to get 4 starters in Lee, Shell, Jenkins and one of Robby/Peake/Burris that is an excellent draft.

For some reason the people on the board think every OLB we pick needs to be Von Miller or they arent successful.  We didnt pass on reggie white in this past draft to take Marcus Maye, the board fell how it did and Mac took the players he thought had the best chance to be good Pro with a plan to build the rest of the team sot that if Hack makes it or we pay Kirk Cousins, or we pick Sam Darnold there will be a young nucleus in place to support that QB.

Do I want an elite edge rusher on the Jets absolutely,  but there simply arent many of them available outside the top 3 of every draft and reaching for one when there are potentially better players around isnt how you build a successful team.

Yup. While the Hack/Maye picks MAY define Macc's tenure, I would be more than happy if guys like Lee/Shell/Jenkins/burris/Anderson/Adams/Leggett etc.. turn out to be very good players. 

19 hours ago, BCJet said:

How you build a successful team? Name one "successful" team in NFL history that was built by taking a safety with the 6th overall pick, and then went back to safety yet again with the 39th pick in the same draft.

Since we don't know how any of these players will look 2 years from now, it's a bit premature to definitively say which players are better than which, no?

The idea that, if we don't draft an "elite edge rusher" prospect inside the top 3 picks, then we were smarter for taking a pair of safeties, is unlikely to prove true over time.  

Never mind that most of the sack leaders are found outside the top 3 draft picks. 3 of the top 4-5 sack leaders from 2016 were available to us in the 2015 draft, including the league leader.

31 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Good thing we are paying Ijalana a huge sum of money to sit on the bench.

He'll get on the field as a swing tackle and in jumbo packages IMO, and provides valuable depth as an experienced player at both tackle spots and can step in if Beachum doesn't return to 2015 form.

10 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Aaron Wilson (@AaronWilson_NFL)

5/16/17, 4:34 PM

Texans sign veteran tackle Breno Giacomini chron.com/sports/texans/… via @HoustonChron

Meh

7 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I mean this isn't entirely accurate since I'm pretty sure Wake ran passed him when there was that communication issue that led to Petty getting crushed (on a completed 20 yard back shoulder throw).

The entire O-line allowed pressure on that play and Wes Johnson stepped up afterward and said that was on him.  The ball was snapped an nobody on the O-line moved.  Johnson botched the snap count.

Just now, AFJF said:

The entire O-line allowed pressure on that play and Wes Johnson stepped up afterward and said that was on him.  The ball was snapped an nobody on the O-line moved.  

Oh I know that it's not his fault but it's weird how the stat is that he never gives up pressure when a sack came right in over him, I just find o-line metrics funny sometimes.  I'm also mind boggled over the every analyst calling Ijalana and Beachum the presumed starters for the Jets when anyone with eyes saw a future tackle of the Jets play exceptionally against good defenses last year.

14 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Oh I know that it's not his fault but it's weird how the stat is that he never gives up pressure when a sack came right in over him, I just find o-line metrics funny sometimes.  I'm also mind boggled over the every analyst calling Ijalana and Beachum the presumed starters for the Jets when anyone with eyes saw a future tackle of the Jets play exceptionally against good defenses last year.

I think they take things like that in to account.  IF the C snaps the ball and nobody else on the O-line moves,then both DE's get to the QB, it's not realistic to say the OT was at fault.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think they take things like that in to account.  IF the C snaps the ball and nobody else on the O-line moves,then both DE's get to the QB, it's not realistic to say the OT was at fault.

QB throws perfect spiral to wide open WR...he drops it....its an incomplete pass on QB.

21 hours ago, AFJF said:

He'll get on the field as a swing tackle and in jumbo packages IMO, and provides valuable depth as an experienced player at both tackle spots and can step in if Beachum doesn't return to 2015 form.

4.5 million cap hit this year and a 6 million cap hit next year for a 'swing tackle' and depth  player is nothing to be proud of.  I will only look good if beachum totally bombs.  Ijalan is not very good.

44 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

4.5 million cap hit this year and a 6 million cap hit next year for a 'swing tackle' and depth  player is nothing to be proud of.  I will only look good if beachum totally bombs.  Ijalan is not very good.

If he doesn't play/isn't worth it, they cut him with a $1.2 mil cap hit and a $4.75 savings.

If there's no Ijalana, and they don't pay for a quality back-up and Hack or Petty get killed, Mac will be ripped for refusing to pay for quality depth, which was of course ordered by Woody who is too cheap to pay back-ups.

This team is going nowhere in 2017 and will have over $70 million in cap space next season.  I'm not worried about a guy making $4.5 million who can be cut with little to no salary cap implications next season.

Archived