Question for the Board

Tinstar

59 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Revis every time.  He locked down the opponents best WR.  Reed played center field and his best work was after the reception.

Is interesting that some of those who cried over picking a S because hes a low value position, are now rating one higher than a HOF shut down corner

I think a lot of the issue here is that many Jets fans don't like Revis so they're not gonna pick him.

6 minutes ago, JiF said:

Don't be coy. You said I don't watch games or know what I'm taking about, which implies you do so you know more.

Anderson was the man 1 year.  Dirty Bird and all. Which means he was great and earned it more than guys who don't have nicknames. 

No, it didnt imply anything.  It meant, very clearly, that if you think Revis only played well for 1 1/2 seasons, then yes, you dont watch the games.  

Now youre comparing him to a one year wonder.  Another reason I wanted to know WTF you were talking about.  Revis is apparently down to one season in your mind.  H

As a football fan loved to watch Revis and Reed play when both were at the top of their game. From a team perspective though Reed would be the one to keep. The pay scale for safety and cornerback are quite different and the fact that Reed was able to impact the game and players around him along with the cap situation makes it a no brainer. Reed

1 minute ago, adb280z said:

I think a lot of the issue here is that many Jets fans don't like Revis so they're not gonna pick him.

Of course thats what it is.

I dont know whats worse, making shlt up about Revis lack of talent or good play or trying to convince us now that S magically became more important that CB.  The opposite of what was written after the draft

Just now, Jet Nut said:

1.  Never called anyone stupid.

2.  If someone want to say that I'm in love with a nickname and that Revis was good for only 1 1/2 years, thats clueless.

Ah yes, my mistake, the assertions of clueless, not watching football, and ridiculous are truly compliments of one's intelligence.

Once again, that is your personal opinion and you have provided nothing to support it.  As far as the 1 1/2 years, is that all the time he was "good"?  No.  But that is quite literally the only part of his career that generated any sort of "all time" discussion that you're trying to claim.  Let's recap, shall we?

2007 - good for a rookie
2008 - pretty good season on one of the league's worst past defenses.  not a single person was talking all time
2009 - an absolutely fantastic season that began the discussion
2010 - half of a great season, accompanied by the other half of him being a lazy fat ass who got himself hurt early while getting roasted in coverage
2011 - very good, but by then the discussion had moved to him being one of the best CBs in the league at that time, with the debates being him vs others in the league, as opposed to HOFers
2012 - missed almost the entire year
2013 - 2016 - became progressively worse as any and all discussions about "all time" status were never spoken, with the only times his name came up being his contracts and year on the Pats

At most you could lump in his 2011 season as great, but there was absolutely nothing "all time" about it.  Even then you're looking at 2 1/2 years as your justification for claiming his career to be the best.  Considering that he hasn't even retired yet and the opinions of others has already significantly soured on him, there's no reason to believe his reputation will suddenly start growing again the further we get away from the one part of a career that's ending relatively early for a guy of his supposed greatness.

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Of course thats what it is.

I dont know whats worse, making shlt up about Revis lack of talent or good play or trying to convince us now that S magically became more important that CB.  The opposite of what was written after the draft

So which is it, is Revis the better player as you were emphatically claiming earlier, or is it just a matter of the position each played?

QB is far more important than CB, does that mean any average starter at QB is a better football player than Revis?

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

Ah yes, my mistake, the assertions of clueless, not watching football, and ridiculous are truly compliments of one's intelligence.

Once again, that is your personal opinion and you have provided nothing to support it.  As far as the 1 1/2 years, is that all the time he was "good"?  No.  But that is quite literally the only part of his career that generated any sort of "all time" discussion that you're trying to claim.  Let's recap, shall we?

2007 - good for a rookie
2008 - pretty good season on one of the league's worst past defenses.  not a single person was talking all time
2009 - an absolutely fantastic season that began the discussion
2010 - half of a great season, accompanied by the other half of him being a lazy fat ass who got himself hurt early while getting roasted in coverage
2011 - very good, but by then the discussion had moved to him being one of the best CBs in the league at that time, with the debates being him vs others in the league, as opposed to HOFers
2012 - missed almost the entire year
2013 - 2016 - became progressively worse as any and all discussions about "all time" status were never spoken, with the only times his name came up being his contracts and year on the Pats

At most you could lump in his 2011 season as great, but there was absolutely nothing "all time" about it.  Even then you're looking at 2 1/2 years as your justification for claiming his career to be the best.  Considering that he hasn't even retired yet and the opinions of others has already significantly soured on him, there's no reason to believe his reputation will suddenly start growing again the further we get away from the one part of a career that's ending relatively early for a guy of his supposed greatness.

2010 wasnt half a season.  And love the commentary that he was hurt because he was lazy and toasted.  On the one catch Moss ever made over Revis.  Sure.

the 2013-2016 is more of the same.  He was considered one of the leagues top corners right until the end when it all went to shlt.  Im sorry people have a problem with his negotiation issues and for that reason want to shlt on him.

Revis was much more dominant for a shorter period of time . Reed was the more consistent player over his career. Each were impact players but IMO it comes down to the team they are on and the schemes they played.

If my team had a very good to great pass rush I'd take Revis over Reed everyday and twice on Sunday. If not I'd say Reed would have a much bigger impact.

1 minute ago, Bleedin Green said:

So which is it, is Revis the better player as you were emphatically claiming earlier, or is it just a matter of the position each played?

QB is far more important than CB, does that mean any average starter at QB is a better football player than Revis?

I never said that.  You guys need to stop trying to read between the lines.  I said that most said S was a low importance position.  Someone even carried on that we should have used the 6 for a corner because its a more important position, has a bigger value in football. 

And he was a better player, my opinion, yes.  The really insane part is how many are emphatically dumping on our player, making claims that he was flash in the pan.  Even if you think Reed was better shltting over Revis is wrong on every level.  Not a really hard position to take

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No, it didnt imply anything.  It meant, very clearly, that if you think Revis only played well for 1 1/2 seasons, then yes, you dont watch the games.  

Now youre comparing him to a one year wonder.  Another reason I wanted to know WTF you were talking about.  Revis is apparently down to one season in your mind.  H

You didnt imply anything?  Wow.  You are impressive, Sir. 

I was making an example that it only takes 1 good season to get a nickname. 

33 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Given that Rex coached Reed, did he make Reed too?

22 minutes ago, JiF said:

He played his part.  No doubt.  

Do you know what Ed Reed was doing last year?

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/quote-ed-reed-on-rex-ryan/149298934

17 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And what does this have to do with Revis?  

Maybe Revis was made by Mangini.  He was a secondary coach.  Yeah, thats it

You asked me about Reed, not Revis. 

Keep up, homey! 

Just now, Jet Nut said:

2010 wasnt half a season.  And love the commentary that he was hurt because he was lazy and toasted.  On the one catch Moss ever made over Revis.  Sure.

the 2013-2016 is more of the same.  He was considered one of the leagues top corners right until the end when it all went to shlt.  Im sorry people have a problem with his negotiation issues and for that reason want to shlt on him.

He showed up completely out of shape after a hold out in 2010.  This isn't even up for debate, it's a point of fact.  He started the season off playing mediocre and then got hurt thanks to him not being in football condition.  When he got his sh*t together later in the season it got great, but you're not talking "all time" when it's highlighted by a sh*tty attitude and bad shape.

Your 2013-2016 analysis is nothing but your own personal opinion, based on your feelings for Revis' past.  The evidence in no way supports it.  The Bucs bailed on him as quickly as they could.  The Pats paid him less, played him as a traditional corner who stayed in one position (nullifying the entire argument for anything "all time" about it), and went out of their way to make no commitment to him.  The Jets were pretty roundly criticized for the move the moment they signed him, followed by a relatively disappointing first year, and then last year being considered a joke of the league, convincing the Jets it was worth paying him $6 million to go away.

You've still yet to provide a single cogent argument.  Lots of "he's the best!" and not a bit of justification for it other than you personally believing so.  It's fine if that's your personal opinion, but that hardly justifies you throwing a fit about how little everyone knows because they must defer to what you say, with no reason beyond you simply saying it.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

He showed up completely out of shape after a hold out in 2010.  This isn't even up for debate, it's a point of fact.  He started the season off playing mediocre and then got hurt thanks to him not being in football condition.  When he got his sh*t together later in the season it got great, but you're not talking "all time" when it's highlighted by a sh*tty attitude and bad shape.

Your 2013-2016 analysis is nothing but your own personal opinion, based on your feelings for Revis' past.  The evidence in no way supports it.  The Bucs bailed on him as quickly as they could.  The Pats paid him less, played him as a traditional corner who stayed in one position (nullifying the entire argument for anything "all time" about it), and went out of their way to make no commitment to him.  The Jets were pretty roundly criticized for the move the moment they signed him, followed by a relatively disappointing first year, and then last year being considered a joke of the league, convincing the Jets it was worth paying him $6 million to go away.

You've still yet to provide a single cogent argument.  Lots of "he's the best!" and not a bit of justification for it other than you personally believing so.  It's fine if that's your personal opinion, but that hardly justifies you throwing a fit about how little everyone knows because they must defer to what you say, with no reason beyond you simply saying it.

Its a point of your facts.  Revis' off season workouts are well documented.  Pulling your hammy isnt because you took the off season off.  Thats for those who just flat out dislike Revis.  I get it.  He stole your money.  But my opinions are the ones based on feelings.  If youre trying to tell us that Revis was done in 2013, fine.  I dont agree at all but youre entitled to your opinion.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Its a point of your facts.  Revis' off season workouts are well documented.  Pulling your hammy isnt because you took the off season off.  Thats for those who just flat out dislike Revis.  I get it.  He stole your money.  But my opinions are the ones based on feelings.  If youre trying to tell us that Revis was done in 2013, fine.  I dont agree at all but youre entitled to your opinion.

Even if we were to give Revis the benefit of the doubt that him being out of shape was totally unrelated to why he hurt himself when chasing from behind, that still does nothing to support your argument.  All that's really doing is relieving him of some of the blame for why part of the second best season of his career wasn't that good.  If we're going to defer to the opinions of the masses, as you have claimed aligns with your own opinion, then even in Revis' truly great season, he was not even decided to be the league's best CB that year.  Now I will openly admit that every single Jets fan, myself most certainly included, thought that was an absolute joke, but it simply points to the fact that you're baselessly assigning your opinion to others, even though the evidence suggests otherwise.

Bottom line, for a very short time Revis looked like he could truly be great, but he wasn't able to hold up for very long, ultimately causing little to distinguish himself from other top players, other than that one season.  Before people starting falling in love with Revis, it was Nnamdi Asomugha who was being argued as possibly the greatest of all time, when teams refused to throw in his direction.  Think these days anyone outside of a few love-struck Raiders fans would make such an argument?  After Revis' decline began, it then become Sherman as the next potential all-timer, but now even the love for him isn't what it once was.  There's always going to be one guy at every position that the NFL will become enamored with as the next great one, but at this stage, your average NFL fan is not in awe of some unmatched greatness from Revis.

It's not a money thing, but if you really want to make it one then that makes the formula even easier.  There was one year of his career that he outplayed his contract, that 2009 season.  It could be argued there were at least 3 or 4, maybe more, where he didn't play up it.

In the end if you decide your own opinion of Revis is that he's the GOAT, then that's yours to have and so be it, but if you're going to start carrying on about how clueless others are for not sharing that opinion, then you should give at least a small bit of reasoning to support your claims.  To this point, you have still provided absolutely none.

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

Even if we were to give Revis the benefit of the doubt that him being out of shape was totally unrelated to why he hurt himself when chasing from behind, that still does nothing to support your argument.  All that's really doing is relieving him of some of the blame for why part of the second best season of his career wasn't that good.  If we're going to defer to the opinions of the masses, as you have claimed aligns with your own opinion, then even in Revis' truly great season, he was not even decided to be the league's best CB that year.  Now I will openly admit that every single Jets fan, myself most certainly included, thought that was an absolute joke, but it simply points to the fact that you're baselessly assigning your opinion to others, even though the evidence suggests otherwise.

Bottom line, for a very short time Revis looked like he could truly be great, but he wasn't able to hold up for very long, ultimately causing little to distinguish himself from other top players, other than that one season.  Before people starting falling in love with Revis, it was Nnamdi Asomugha who was being argued as possibly the greatest of all time, when teams refused to throw in his direction.  Think these days anyone outside of a few love-struck Raiders fans would make such an argument?  After Revis' decline began, it then become Sherman as the next potential all-timer, but now even the love for him isn't what it once was.  There's always going to be one guy at every position that the NFL will become enamored with as the next great one, but at this stage, your average NFL fan is not in awe of some unmatched greatness from Revis.

It's not a money thing, but if you really want to make it one then that makes the formula even easier.  There was one year of his career that he outplayed his contract, that 2009 season.  It could be argued there were at least 3 or 4, maybe more, where he didn't play up it.

In the end if you decide your own opinion of Revis is that he's the GOAT, then that's yours to have and so be it, but if you're going to start carrying on about how clueless others are for not sharing that opinion, then you should give at least a small bit of reasoning to support your claims.  To this point, you have still provided absolutely none.

One more time, the clueless comment was if youre going to tell me that Revis was nothing more than a nickname, a 1.5 year flash in the pan.  Yes, that opinion is someone who doesnt watch the games and just responds to a name.  

This is one of those questions. Some say (Sperm) that the safety position is easily filled with cheap FAs. It is true that safety is not a premium position, but if you can get a difference maker that can change the game from a non premium position it's like adding a premium position to your team. That can turn a good defense into a dominant one.

In general, a freelancing ball hawk that can also be reliable is much more valuable than a shut down corner. If you can basically be in the nickel, and your base defense at the same time it completely changes the game, and keeps doubt in a QBs mind. No greater weapon than the seeds of doubt. Turning Brady into Geno, or Sanchez is what Ed Reed used to do.

He must be exceptional for it to work though. If he can't fully freelance without being exploited vs the run then he becomes a liability. I can think of 4 in my lifetime that fit this bill. 

Archived