Please point me to a Baker Mayfield thread

Dcronin

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

Chiefs clinch a playoff birth and the division. They should be sitting starters. its Tampa Bay that concerns me. They need to beat the Saints. They played the Falcons and Panthers the last two week and should of won against Carolina..so they aren’t slouches. Maybe things can break right. We need one of these top guys. 

TB ain't drafting a QB. 

54 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Like most fans, I'm on board with Mayfield or Lamar. But I think that has to do with our past experience of drafting big, strong armed & inaccurate QB's without a successful track record in college (Hackenberg and Petty to a lesser extent). Mayfield seems like the opposite (shorter, accurate and successful in college).

Don't mind giving one of these guys a shot (just for the excitement factor). I just hope we don't trade up for them. Too many holes to fill.

The saddest thing about Hack is that typically fans take their pick and we end up finding out down the line what came of these players, but the overwhelmingly majority of folks on this forum knew better about Hack, and then to see Macc not just draft him, but draft him in the 2nd round to then see the result of it is unforgivable.

This guy cant even get on the field in a game that doesnt even matter. WTF did macc see? I think he got game'd by all of what he heard by O'Brien when he worked in Houston and probably thought he was the smartest guy in the room when he drafted Hack. Something should have clued Macc after Houston jumped the jets in the draft only to NOT draft Hack. 

We better clean house next week.

On 12/27/2017 at 4:21 AM, Villain The Foe said:

Things like this is why all you fools touting this guy as a top 5 pick is so foolish, he is a 3rd day prospect who plays on a great College team in a great offense.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweetedthis week that he's been told Baker Mayfieldwill run in the "high 4.8s/low 4.9s" in the 40-yard dash. That's not a great time for a small (6'1", 215 lbs) quarterback. I also expect Mayfield's hand size will come in well below the NFL threshold of nine inches. These might seem like small details, but watch as scouts tear the Oklahoma quarterback apart because of 

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Things like this is why all you fools touting this guy as a top 5 pick is so foolish, he is a 3rd day prospect who plays on a great College team in a great offense.

NFL Network analyst Daniel Jeremiah tweetedthis week that he's been told Baker Mayfieldwill run in the "high 4.8s/low 4.9s" in the 40-yard dash. That's not a great time for a small (6'1", 215 lbs) quarterback. I also expect Mayfield's hand size will come in well below the NFL threshold of nine inches. These might seem like small details, but watch as scouts tear the Oklahoma quarterback apart because of 

I can be a fool (today) because of running times and hand sizes, but if he in facts becomes a starting level QB I'll make sure to find this comment. 

For the record, this isnt "proof" because Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this. If Daniel Jeremiah was truly great at evaluating talent he wouldnt be an NFL analyst but working in someone's front office. 

I'll stick with my foolish position, thank you. 

On 1/1/2018 at 3:07 PM, Villain The Foe said:

I can be a fool (today) because of running times and hand sizes, but if he in facts becomes a starting level QB I'll make sure to find this comment. 

For the record, this isnt "proof" because Daniel Jeremiah tweeted this. If Daniel Jeremiah was truly great at evaluating talent he wouldnt be an NFL analyst but working in someone's front office. 

I'll stick with my foolish position, thank you. 

Daniel Jeremiah is a joke

On 12/27/2017 at 11:32 AM, NoBowles said:

Dude, you went in HARD on Geno and Glennon....

There is a saying this reminds me of, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, shame on both of us

I think the correct saying is:

On 12/27/2017 at 4:54 AM, redlichtie said:

BTW check out the tape on Lamar Jackson. Ignore all the running plays and just watch how beautifully the guy zips the ball around to his receivers. Seriously think LJ is underrated at this point. The problem with him is that he appears to be a running QB that can pass rather than a proper pocket QB who will take off when required( I see Baker Mayfield as the latter)

He would be such a good WR that he may be pushed in that direction.  Very strong arm but his throwing mechanics are a bit funny and I like to see better than a 60% completion percentage.   But his highlight reel is super fun to watch.  Not only is he super fast but he spins out of tackles as well as anyone.  His highlights look a bit like Reggie Bush's high school tape. 

On 1/1/2018 at 3:46 PM, Lupz27 said:

He plays faster than that.  And if that is the case some lucky team may end up getting him in the late first round.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:50 AM, Dcronin said:

Or weigh in with what you think.

I thought his tape was incredible. He throws people open. Almost all of his tape is darts to covered guys, right where the ball should be.

So tired of college tape that looks like Pop Warner, with throws to WRs 10-15 yards away from any coverage.

He's fiery and competitive. Is he too Manziel-ish?

Looks great to me. Anyway, welcome to the Jets, Case Keenum!

DC

Wait, what?  

You sure you had Baker Mayfield's tape? 

1 minute ago, Patriot Killa said:

Honestly plenty of successful QB’s have looked to the sideline for play calling and help. Okay, so what? Watson did too. He didn’t do too shabby.

Maybe. It's certainly not a deal breaker.  I was just adding to the comment. 

Watson made changes at the LOS all the time.  Sweeny gave him full control. 

Mayfield has never made a check in his life. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

Maybe. It's certainly not a deal breaker.  I was just adding to the comment. 

Watson made changes at the LOS all the time.  Sweeny gave him full control. 

Mayfield has never made a check in his life. 

But he did. He audibled at least 3 times in that Georgia game and 2 out of three times a big play broke. He obviously didn’t/don’t do it much..but I did see 2 or 3 audibles. I won’t try to wear my Mayfield rose color glasses..he isn’t a perfect prospect, but I very much like his abilities and acknowledge he is much, much more of a pure passer than folks give him credit for. 

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

But he did. He audibled at least 3 times in that Georgia game and 2 out of three times a big play broke. He obviously didn’t/don’t do it much..but I did see 2 or 3 audibles. I won’t try to wear my Mayfield rose color glasses..he isn’t a perfect prospect, but I very much like his abilities and acknowledge he is much, much more of a pure passer than folks give him credit for. 

I'll take your word for it.  I don't recall any audibles.  The game was scripted until it wasn't and I recall one good play after that...the scramble TD pass.

It looks painful when he throws the ball.  Has to put everything into every throw, including a wind-up.

I wouldn't touch him but I wont be pissed if the Jets end up taking him. 

We all know QB comparisons are all over the place and generally don't line up... But I still use them as an evaluation tool because I just don't know better.

The last Mayfield comparison that I saw and then reviewed (not that I'm great at that) was Jeff Garcia. His foot work, size, throwing motion, (in)consistency... They all looked pretty similar and I agreed with the things people were comparing. Most people do say Mayfield has better athletic moves and a stronger arm, while Garcia might have had better footwork and a better ability to not bail out of the pocket as quickly. 

So that's what I run with. Would I be ok with a Jeff Garcia... Maybe in a couple years a comparable player to the Jeff Garcia that played for the 49ers? Maybe the season he threw 31 TDs to 12 INTs? Or maybe the one where he threw 18 TDs to 13INTs? And a guy who will keep plays alive with his feet and run for a couple hundred yards?

And I think my answer is... Yes. I would be ok with that... But not with the 6th pick? I guess? I mean if they took him and that's how his career ended up I don't think I'd want to burn the organization at the stake... But I'd wonder if it were worth it. 

5 hours ago, DMan77 said:

We all know QB comparisons are all over the place and generally don't line up... But I still use them as an evaluation tool because I just don't know better.

The last Mayfield comparison that I saw and then reviewed (not that I'm great at that) was Jeff Garcia. His foot work, size, throwing motion, (in)consistency... They all looked pretty similar and I agreed with the things people were comparing. Most people do say Mayfield has better athletic moves and a stronger arm, while Garcia might have had better footwork and a better ability to not bail out of the pocket as quickly. 

So that's what I run with. Would I be ok with a Jeff Garcia... Maybe in a couple years a comparable player to the Jeff Garcia that played for the 49ers? Maybe the season he threw 31 TDs to 12 INTs? Or maybe the one where he threw 18 TDs to 13INTs? And a guy who will keep plays alive with his feet and run for a couple hundred yards?

And I think my answer is... Yes. I would be ok with that... But not with the 6th pick? I guess? I mean if they took him and that's how his career ended up I don't think I'd want to burn the organization at the stake... But I'd wonder if it were worth it. 

You sound like you are putting an awful lot of stock in him basically being Jeff Garcia’s clone. He won’t be lol. Comparisons are often for fun. Mayfield will be Mayfield once he gets his feet set in the league.

13 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

You sound like you are putting an awful lot of stock in him basically being Jeff Garcia’s clone. He won’t be lol. Comparisons are often for fun. Mayfield will be Mayfield once he gets his feet set in the league.

Hah I know I know.... Like I said I don't really know any better. I don't know much about evaluating a guy by watching tape. I mean I know what a good throw looks like, and I know how to see where a guy is getting the calls, how he audibles, if he stares down receivers, reads coverage, etc... But really at a super basic level.

I can't watch a guy and say "Oh ya this guy will be able to throw 30 TDs a year!"

I go with what I see for comparisons because it helps me visualize things. I listen to people break down a QB and then see if I see the same mechanics that they were talking about it someone else, I roll with that.

So of course I know everyone will be different at the end of the day. But for me I need to try and visualize what their stats might be like. And JG was a name that came up a couple times.  

But again, you're right. I mean it's not a video game where things translate perfectly because their grades match up. But it's helpful for me to try and get an idea. 

Any way we can put all the Baker Mayfield threads started in the Draft forum in @Villain The Foe original Mayfield thread?  While I don’t agree with him on Mayfield I do respect him, and the hard work he does when he speaks about a prospect he likes, and you will find the most detailed, and pertinent info about him there, and we can also keep the forums from being flooded with the same topic, but in different threads.

22 hours ago, JiF said:

I'll take your word for it.  I don't recall any audibles.  The game was scripted until it wasn't and I recall one good play after that...the scramble TD pass.

It looks painful when he throws the ball.  Has to put everything into every throw, including a wind-up.

I wouldn't touch him but I wont be pissed if the Jets end up taking him. 

Couldnt you say the same thing about Brees?  He has a big "load-type" Delivery where he puts his whole body into throws and I dont believe he has a quick release.  Instead he is very accurate, throws with anticipation and finds throwing lanes very easily.

34 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Couldnt you say the same thing about Brees?  He has a big "load-type" Delivery where he puts his whole body into throws and I dont believe he has a quick release.  Instead he is very accurate, throws with anticipation and finds throwing lanes very easily.

I've never noticed a wind up from Brees.  He seems to have that classic behind the ear, over the top, short compact type motion.  

On 12/27/2017 at 11:32 AM, NoBowles said:

Dude, you went in HARD on Geno and Glennon....

There is a saying this reminds me of, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me, fool me three times, shame on both of us

To be fair, NoBowles.. you were all in on Glennon as well. And we had intense arguments on me liking Watson, while you thought he was a bust... 

Archived