Mularkey Out as Titan's HC

JetsFanatic

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

No it shouldn't work like that but it does. That's why so many people in the media nationally praised the job Todd Bowles did.

You aren’t making a point. This is a dumb narrative that you insist on pursuing. 

Read more. Talk less. 

People can't seem to get over the ill fates and poor metric for coaching performance of looking at a record only and expectations of that record rather than looking at if the coach is actually doing a really good job or not.  It's a faulty way of evaluating a coach and is one used by dumb owners and teams.

Has the coach done a good job or poor job and in what phases?  Does the coach believe he needs to improve or can you seem him doing the same poor job in one or more aspects of his job?  Does his strong points totally out weigh his weak points?  Will we win a super bowl with this coaches?

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

reading and listening is where I get the narrative

Then stop reading stupid sh*t and passing it off here as original thought. Just because it gets tweeted doesn’t make it credible.

Furthermore, being redundant with said narrative doesn’t make it any less stupid. 

Just now, Integrity28 said:

Then stop reading stupid sh*t and passing it off here as original thought. Just because it gets tweeted doesn’t make it credible.

Furthermore, being redundant with said narrative doesn’t make it any less stupid. 

It probably is stupid. It's dumb. He's a bad coach. But the Jets aren't a smart organization. They are affected by the media and fanbase. Media said they would suck.

Chris Johnson comes out and says "I don't care about wins this year, I care about effort!"

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

People can't seem to get over the ill fates and poor metric for coaching performance of looking at a record only and expectations of that record rather than looking at if the coach is actually doing a really good job or not.  It's a faulty way of evaluating a coach and is one used by dumb owners and teams.

Has the coach done a good job or poor job and in what phases?  Does the coach believe he needs to improve or can you seem him doing the same poor job in one or more aspects of his job?  Does his strong points totally out weigh his weak points?  Will we win a super bowl with this coaches?

So much focus on retaining Bowles has been about the locker room culture, which albeit is very important, is not really being weighed against the fact that his biggest onfield contributions are largely negative regarding time management, gameday personnel management, and ultra conservative decisionmaking. 

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

So much focus on retaining Bowles has been about the locker room culture, which albeit is very important, is not really being weighed against the fact that his biggest onfield contributions are largely negative regarding time management, gameday personnel management, and ultra conservative decisionmaking. 

oh yeah, well what do you call winning 5 games when the fans and media said we would only win two, smart guy

1 minute ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I agree with that. But after seeing the many coaching bloopers in this postseason of that nature, I wonder if that is partly a case of the grass being greener

Mularkey was a bad hire from the start with his ineffective old school offensive scheme. He was fortunate that the team did better than it had any right to under it but I think its clear the team is plateauing underneath him; they'll never reach their potential under him.

As for why the Jets retained Bowles despite doing worse than he did, well clearly they think there's upside to him as a head coach and that he's the right guy to get them where they need to as they rebuild.

Most here laugh at the concept and disagree, but I think that's the truth of the matter.

2 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

I agree except that as I've said before the locker room culture the last two years is not all roses and sunshine despite the younger players supporting the coach.

Bowles has utterly failed to get the most out of, effectively discipline or hold to account super high priced vets in his years here so far.  Revis, mo wilk, Richardson all problems character wise or performance wise.

1 hour ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Titans: favored to win the division this year

Jets: picked to be the worst team in football

Expectations, Expectations, Expectations

These people act like all teams are equal and the HC is the total reason why teams win or lose. Hysterical!!

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

I agree with that. But after seeing the many coaching bloopers in this postseason of that nature, I wonder if that is partly a case of the grass being greener

Sooner or later you need to stop using the metric you often use.  That being, other suck at something thus it is okay for us to suck at something.

Andy Read is a fine coach and team builder but he has historically been awful at clock management and not finishing games.  The fact that he is bad at this does not diminish even by an ounce that  our coach is bad at this.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

Sooner or later you need to stop using the metric you often use.  That being, other suck at something thus it is okay for us to suck at something.

Andy Read is a fine coach and team builder but he has historically been awful at clock management and not finishing games.  The fact that he is bad at this does not diminish even by an ounce that  our coach is bad at this.

But if Andy Reid is the standard of head coaching in the NFL, then Bowles is meeting that standard, wouldn't you say.

I have not for ONE MOMENT said that Bowles is a great head coach. But what is the standard of coaching in the NFL

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I agree except that as I've said before the locker room culture the last two years is not all roses and sunshine despite the younger players supporting the coach.

Bowles has utterly failed to get the most out of, effectively discipline or hold to account super high priced vets in his years here so far.  Revis, mo wilk, Richardson all problems character wise or performance wise.

If you can't beat them...cut them. 

28 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Rex was very good at one thing.  If I were a Jets fan I'd bring him back in a heartbeat as Defensive Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach.

SAR I

Kacy Rogers isn’t in the same stratosphere as Rex Ryan on the defensive side of the ball and I will leave it at that.  We would be at least 30% better.

No knock on Bowles; I think that Bowles is obviously a great DC as well but he is the HC not DC and Rogers is really learning to be a DC as he goes along and that just isn’t fair to this team’s fans. 

11 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

But if Andy Reid is the standard of head coaching in the NFL, then Bowles is meeting that standard, wouldn't you say.

I have not for ONE MOMENT said that Bowles is a great head coach. But what is the standard of coaching in the NFL

No I wouldn't say, how many super bowls has any read won?

Also:

There are dozens of metrics as to what makes a good coach in this league, picking one , as you often seem to do and using it as a valid reason to make an overall judgment is stupid. 

1 minute ago, ChuckkieB said:

Smart organizations are quick to recognize and act on coaches who are not doing a good job, regardless of their records.  The Jets are not one of those organizations and never have been.  This should surprise no one on this board. 

That's true. And also the Giants are becoming that way too. It took a PR nightmare for McAdoo to be kicked out early

Just now, Beerfish said:

Also:

There are dozens of metrics as to what makes a good coach in this league, picking one , as you often seem to do and using it as a valid reason to make an overall judgment is stupid. 

Except I haven't. I've used several

Just now, Beerfish said:

Also:

Being a head coach is a hard job and the unfortunate part is that the common transition from coordinator to head coach is a pretty big leap.  I think the excruicating part is that Bowles has really not shown much growth or ability to learn, especially in light of the fact that he continually defends his mistakes as good decisions. 

Shows you how reactionary the NFL is. The Titans went from 3-13 to back-to-back 9-7 seasons, a playoff berth after 8 years, and a playoff win, yet they fire Mularkey because his team lost to the Patsies at Foxboro, where the Patsies never lose in the playoffs? That's kind of harsh

Archived