Josh Allen Did Very Well

Grandy

I've noticed a seeming belief amongst some fans that IF the Jets pursue Cousins, we will get Cousins.

This is exceptionally naive.  Cousins, IF (big if at this point) he becomes a FA, will be pursued by half a dozen teams.  We may be amongst the higher in cap space, but that's not really relevant to a single QB contract.  Most needy teams can "afford" him.

Cousins can get every penny the Jets can give him.....in Denver.

Tell me, why would someone choose the NY Jets over the Denver Broncos, if the pay is equal?

Answer:  They wouldn't.

We (the Jets Org.) may WANT Cousins, but want isn't enough.  Only a material overpayment would make a difference.

His legit salary will be 28-30 million a year.  Think about what a "material overpayment" would look like.

I would not get too tied to the idea of Cousins as a Jet.  Just some friendly advice.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This is exceptionally naive. 

Naive is downplaying the whole $$$$ thing. Money is the only reason people put up with this nonsense. Denver can’t outspend the Jets for Cousins. No one but the Browns and maybe 49ers could this offseason and they’re both out. 

Not to mention the player’s union should/would raise hell if Cousins took a discount. These players play on a discount already with the salary cap in place, and there’s a three year window for the players to set up prices after 2020 when the owners drop the hammer. My guess is we see zero FA discounts for anyone, not to mention the Broncos thing here is weird as they are terrible. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

I've noticed a seeming belief amongst some fans that IF the Jets pursue Cousins, we will get Cousins.

This is exceptionally naive.  Cousins, IF (big if at this point) he becomes a FA, will be pursued by half a dozen teams.  We may be amongst the higher in cap space, but that's not really relevant to a single QB contract.  Most needy teams can "afford" him.

Tell me, why would someone choose the NY Jets over the Denver Broncos, if the pay is equal?

We (the Jets Org.) may WANT Cousins, but want isn't enough.  Only a material overpayment would make a difference.

His legit salary will be 28-30 million a year.  Think about what a "material overpayment" would look like.

I would not get too tied to the idea of Cousins as a Jet.  Just some friendly advice.

Hogwash.

This notion that the Broncos with their aging stars and 5 win season are some kind of Football utopia is laughable.  If the Broncos want to sign Cousins they're going to have to weaken their team in other areas with the most likely scenario being the release of Talib.

The Jets are on the other hand are in a position to add numerous FA's in addition to Cousins, have 3 of the top 50 picks, a HC fostering a good locker room, and an OC and asst OC running a system he's intimately familiar with from his days with Shanahan.

Why would Cousins want to try and follow the steps of Manning when he can create his own story in NY.  In a city he reportedly loves with an up and coming team who has shown they've wanted him for years.

I reject this fairy tale that has Cousins creaming his jeans to join horsefaced Elway and a city of burnouts.  It's fake news.

4 minutes ago, Pac said:

Hogwash.

This notion that the Broncos with their aging stars and 5 win season are some kind of Football utopia is laughable.  If the Broncos want to sign Cousins they're going to have to weaken their team in other areas with the most likely scenario being the release of Talib.

The Jets are on the other hand in a position to add numerous FA's in addition to Cousins, have 3 of the top 50 picks, a HC fostering a good locker room, and an OC and asst OC running a system he's intimately familiar with from his days with Shanahan.

Why would Cousins want to try and follow the steps of Manning when he can create his own story in NY.  In a city he reportedly loves with an up and coming team who has shown they've wanted him for years.

I reject this fairly tale that has Cousins creaming his jeans to join horsefaced Elway and a city of burnouts.  It's fake news.

Well articulated.

21 minutes ago, Pac said:

This notion that the Broncos with their aging stars and 5 win season are some kind of Football utopia is laughable

Yeah but they won 5 and 20+ years ago, have a Football Man in Elway, AND shut out the vaunted 2017 Jets on the road. Do you not think Cousins will want to follow in the footsteps of Manning and Elway (otoh you would compare Cousins to Elway and Manning lol?!?) in continuing the winning tradition of the Broncos (otoh where r Cousins’ playoff wins lol?)? 

Elway is going to look Cousins in the eye, man to man with those blue steel football eyes, and Cousins will be hooked. You don’t just turn down the opportunity to give a discount to a man forged from football fire itself. Joke’s on Elway too because Cousins lacks the knowledge of winning or will power to win of say a Nick Foles or Joe Flacco. 

4 minutes ago, Hitman Harris said:

Weakened your whole argument with this one reefer madness line. 

Out of touch. 

Eh, I <3 weed but Colorado is full of trust fund stoners who “work” at “hostels.” I had no idea it was a thing either but apparently....Must be nice! 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone assume the jets are the only team that can land cousins. Some have just made the argument that the jets, and their cap space, are in a better financial situation to pay cousins than many teams. 

While there are rumors that the broncos may be trading players to free up cap space, the Jets are rumored to be buyers. Maybe Jarvis Landry, maybe Allen Robinson, maybe some ol help.

Plus, if there is any team with a worse head coach then us, it's Denver. And Denver's amazing defense is no longer amazing. Look at the numbers from this year.

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Hogwash.

The Jets are on the other hand are in a position to add numerous FA's in addition to Cousins, have 3 of the top 50 picks, a HC fostering a good locker room, and an OC and asst OC running a system he's intimately familiar with from his days with Shanahan.

I reject this fairy tale that has Cousins creaming his jeans to join horsefaced Elway and a city of burnouts.  It's fake news.

Well said.

2 hours ago, SenorGato said:

Naive is downplaying the whole $$$$ thing. Money is the only reason people put up with this nonsense. Denver can’t outspend the Jets for Cousins. No one but the Browns and maybe 49ers could this offseason and they’re both out. 

Not to mention the player’s union should/would raise hell if Cousins took a discount. These players play on a discount already with the salary cap in place, and there’s a three year window for the players to set up prices after 2020 when the owners drop the hammer. My guess is we see zero FA discounts for anyone, not to mention the Broncos thing here is weird as they are terrible. 

Found a postseason interview that covers this very topic:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c2x61vJ5DHQ

He’s a player’s player and stands with guys like Richard Sherman who tell other players to sign for garaunteed money. He talks about how this league is basically one year deals and he needs to take the garaunteed money. Whether that is one year deals or one of those 5 year deals that are really 1-2 year deals is up to the garaunteed money. 

sh*t’s legit going down this offseason

This is a Jets Fan 100% to the T. This is why we can’t have nice things. To get a player, you have to offer said player the most money (no sh*t Sherlock), but if you’ve offered the player the most money and sign him then you’ve overpaid because clearly no other team was willing to pay that much so you’ve made a terrible deal.

It’s the same sh*t with the draft. If we stay at 6 and draft a QB well clearly that QB wasn’t worth taken at 6 because 5 other teams passed on him. If we trade up and take a QB clearly he wasn’t worth it or else why didn’t the team we traded with take him, and of course we probably gave up more than any other team to move up so we overpaid.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

9 hours ago, Pac said:

But you buy into Cousins wanting to play for a regressive system of offense for one of the worst teams of the last decade with no rudder on offiense or at QB, some of the least talent in the NFL, and a Head Coach and GM who may be entering their final year for the team?

Ok Donald, maybe have an another Big Mac before you tweet about fake news next time, eh.

And yes, the Jets will have to pay more than Denver to get Cousins, IF Cousins becomes available.  And more than Cleveland.  And more than any other team interested.  "Create his own story", lol, jets Fans and their fantasies, so cute.  Cousins would choose Denver for equal money because Denver is the better team, with the better front office, better O-line, better defense, and better skill players on Offense. 

He might come to the Jets.....if we give him $5 million more a year than Denver.  And guarantee we won't draft a QB for three more years.  

Could Cousins be a Jet?  Sure he could.  Is it the sure things folks like you think?  Lol, not even close.

3 hours ago, Snell41 said:

This is a Jets Fan 100% to the T. This is why we can’t have nice things.

Has nothing to do with being a jets fan, it's simple logic.  Players want A. the most money and B. the best team with the best chance at a title.

To get a player, you have to offer said player the most money (no sh*t Sherlock), but if you’ve offered the player the most money and sign him then you’ve overpaid because clearly no other team was willing to pay that much so you’ve made a terrible deal.

Dude, you off your pills again?  In a bidding war (which an available Cousins WILL be) we'll get plenty of reporting as to who offered what to judge.  But make no mistake, to come to a bad NY Jets Team, with a bad Front Office, bad Head Coach who lives to win by 3 points, a horrible O-line, not much talent at either WR or RB, and a perennially under-performing Defense......yes, the Jets will have to overpay to beat out other contenders.  Is this really a new idea for you?

It’s the same sh*t with the draft. If we stay at 6 and draft a QB well clearly that QB wasn’t worth taken at 6 because 5 other teams passed on him.

Says who?  Some of us can look at things and decide for ourselves mate, we're not all lemmings.  You know, lemmings, like the folks who already bought their Jets Cousins Jerseys.

If we trade up and take a QB clearly he wasn’t worth it or else why didn’t the team we traded with take him, and of course we probably gave up more than any other team to move up so we overpaid.

If we trade up for one of these two (three, Darnold, Allen OR Rosen), no it's not worth it IMO, and I'm happy to say that in advance and stand by it and take sh*t for it later if I turn out wrong.  I don't hide from my errors in opinion.  Not now, not ever.

Not sure where you get this fantasy of yours that us Jets fans only talk sh*t AFTER the decision is made.  Plenty of us make no bones about our opinions before hand, and stand up when we turn out wrong.  Don't get pissy tho that some of us are very rarely wrong.

P.S. Please get an avatar.  If I may suggest, this one:  51N6ZV2JVUL._SY445_QL70_.jpg

Hi guys. Crushlove here. We still try to avoid politics and racism here. I already screwed up Max’s Disney vacation by not keeping things calm here and he got 32 reported post per day while he was gone. So if you can help this Crushlove by avoiding race and politics that would be cool. Thank you. 

4 minutes ago, August said:

Why not ask me about the other stuff I said? Why are you focused on the white statement?

48 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

So if you can help this Crushlove by avoiding race and politics that would be cool. Thank you. 

Lets help the Crusher and drop it, eh?

On 1/27/2018 at 8:56 PM, Joejet said:

You know what’s going to be even funnier than that?  When we sign McCown to a 2 year extension and draft either Faulk or Rudolph in the second round!

I actually like Rudolph so I might be okay with that. 

If we trade up for one of these two (three, Darnold, Allen OR Rosen), no it's not worth it IMO, and I'm happy to say that in advance and stand by it and take sh*t for it later if I turn out wrong.  I don't hide from my errors in opinion.  Not now, not ever.
Not sure where you get this fantasy of yours that us Jets fans only talk sh*t AFTER the decision is made.  Plenty of us make no bones about our opinions before hand, and stand up when we turn out wrong.  Don't get pissy tho that some of us are very rarely wrong.

P.S. Please get an avatar.  If I may suggest, this one:  51N6ZV2JVUL._SY445_QL70_.jpg&key=413db6db713c369185d4803f2e7d26dae245276240d99c0b416553b2f3e92298

Players want 3 things-money, the best opportunity to maximize future money, and the best place to raise their family. A Star QB in NY will make a killing in endorsements. Far more than Den. Which team helps them win a championship is reserved to rare players like Manning in the twilight of his career. If Cousins comes here, it’s because we offered the most. If he signs in DEN it’s because they offered the most.

As for the drafting- this happens every year. 2 years ago until very recent it was suck for Sam. The 2 years prior it was suck for Watson. Somehow as we get nearer to the draft all QB’s suck and people are frothing to root against them. Personally I hope we trade up for Allen and I hope he becomes awesome, mainly because I love the Jets and want good things for them, but a good portion to watch all these armchair draftnicks kicking and screaming how we win in spite of him.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Hi guys. Crushlove here. We still try to avoid politics and racism here. I already screwed up Max’s Disney vacation by not keeping things calm here and he got 32 reported post per day while he was gone. So if you can help this Crushlove by avoiding race and politics that would be cool. Thank you. 

32 reported posts a day? Wow.  God bless you  guys. Didn't realize posters were that sensitive and/or racist that you guys would have to babysit this forum on a daily basis. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

32 reported posts a day? Wow.  God bless you  guys. Didn't realize posters were that sensitive and/or racist that you guys would have to babysit this forum on a daily basis. 

I know right? I put in for a transfer to a kinder and gentler forum but haven't heard anything yet.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Gave Max the Jets/Mangold experience? 

11 hours ago, Pac said:

Hogwash.

Good post.

One, IMO, important item you left out is that Josh McCown, and  Kirk Cousins are represented by the same agent, Mike Mc Cartney.  I have to assume Mc Cartney, and the Jets are on very good terms after the Jets paid McCown $9M last year, when no other team was offering more then $2M.

The way Cousins has owned the Skins FO the last 2 years (paying him over $42M) it appears that Cousins is following his agents advise.  I'm not going to be stunned to see Cousins signed, Mc Cown as his back up.  Big payday for McCartney..

The fact that the Jets are re-designing their O in the image of Shanahan isn't an accident.  If I had to guess, there might be something leaked on Cousins "wants" 

1 hour ago, Snell41 said:

Players want 3 things-money, the best opportunity to maximize future money, and the best place to raise their family.

If you're starting from a theory that players do not care at all about winning, I'm not sure we have room to agree on anything my friend.  be assured, most players care more about winning than they do what school district their rugrat winds up in.  

A Star QB in NY will make a killing in endorsements.

Eli doesn't make that much, and no Jets QB has made piss all since Namath.  Sorry, but this is a claim without evidence.

What IS fact is that new York has one of the highest tax rates in America.  So the Jets will have to compensate the player for that material loss to even equal a lower-tax-rate State in salary negotiations.

Far more than Den. Which team helps them win a championship is reserved to rare players like Manning in the twilight of his career. If Cousins comes here, it’s because we offered the most. If he signs in DEN it’s because they offered the most.

Again, I think you're being grossly ignorant if you think it's only money.  It's MOSTLY money, but it's also about winning for a lot of players.

Me thinks you're taking the bad examples of Jets players and using that to paint all players in the NFL.  Tis' not true, not every player is Mo Wilk.

As for the drafting- this happens every year. 2 years ago until very recent it was suck for Sam.

I never said that nor supported that.  

The 2 years prior it was suck for Watson.

Literally no one I know here said that.  Even I (who liked Watson alot by draft day) never, ever, wanted us to "suck for" anyone.

Somehow as we get nearer to the draft all QB’s suck and people are frothing to root against them.

I don't think they suck. 

I think Darnold and Rosen are very much over-hyped as to their potential and under-reported on their material weaknesses.  Allen isn't considered (generally) a top 10 pick nor is Mayfield, rightfully so.  if they rise to top 10, they're being over-hyped too.

This is a mediocre class, it's not 1983.  But because so many are desperate for QB's it's being hyped up to be better than 1983.

And I think a desperate Jets fanbase is ready to buy on anyone, at near any price and cost, because they've  starved at QB for so long now.  Five #1 picks, sure!  $50 million a year, sure!  It's sad, and misguided, but understandable.

Personally I hope we trade up for Allen and I hope he becomes awesome, mainly because I love the Jets and want good things for them, but a good portion to watch all these armchair draftnicks kicking and screaming how we win in spite of him.

We all love the Jets, or we wouldn't waste so much of our lives here at JN or following the team as we do.

Personally, trading up for a prospect who belongs in the mid-20's is insanity, an act of pure distilled desperation.  The player would have to be exceptional, ready to start day 1, and productive day 1, to even remotely warrant trading up (at the likely cost of our #1, both our #2's AND next years #1 or, if we're very lucky, #2).  Put simply, that's not how you build a winner.

A winner stands pat and doesn't get sucked into hype or fan desperation.  He takes the QB that falls to him, and then drafts two 10-year starter O-linemen in the 2nd to protect him.  He saves his 2019 picks for the BAP WR or RB to start giving him weapons.  And he looks at every other FA option available on offense to support this plan.

Archived