Josh Allen Did Very Well

Grandy

33 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Good post.

One, IMO, important item you left out is that Josh McCown, and  Kirk Cousins are represented by the same agent, Mike Mc Cartney.  I have to assume Mc Cartney, and the Jets are on very good terms after the Jets paid McCown $9M last year, when no other team was offering more then $2M.

So an agent who got vastly more money than his player (McCown) was worth is going to what.....give us a discount on his vastly superior player?

If anything, the relationship you detail above increases the asking price for the Jets, it does not decrease it.  The agent suckered this franchise once, he'll try and do it again with his superior product.

The way Cousins has owned the Skins FO the last 2 years (paying him over $42M) it appears that Cousins is following his agents advise.  I'm not going to be stunned to see Cousins signed, Mc Cown as his back up.  Big payday for McCartney.

Again, every word you posted increases our price by $1 mill a year, lol.

If you want to pay Cousins $35 million a season with a metric ton of it guaranteed, ok....crazy as hell......but ok.

But we're not getting Cousins if the price is matched by a better team.

• Replies 478
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Pac said:

Hogwash.

This notion that the Broncos with their aging stars and 5 win season are some kind of Football utopia is laughable.  If the Broncos want to sign Cousins they're going to have to weaken their team in other areas with the most likely scenario being the release of Talib.

The Jets are on the other hand are in a position to add numerous FA's in addition to Cousins, have 3 of the top 50 picks, a HC fostering a good locker room, and an OC and asst OC running a system he's intimately familiar with from his days with Shanahan.

Why would Cousins want to try and follow the steps of Manning when he can create his own story in NY.  In a city he reportedly loves with an up and coming team who has shown they've wanted him for years.

I reject this fairy tale that has Cousins creaming his jeans to join horsefaced Elway and a city of burnouts.  It's fake news.

This

The bullsh*t of no FA’s wanting to sign with the Jets is just another case of this fanbase wallowing in their own misery.

The Jets can make Cousins the highest paid player in the league, are tailoring an offense perfectly suited to his strengths and have an abundance of resources to improve the talent around him. By all accounts Jeremy Bates is still very close to the Shanahan’s and Cousins essentially considers them an extension of his family. Even both Schefter and Rapaport have said that the Jets promoting Bates to OC isn’t something to take lightly when it comes to the pursuit of Cousins.

Is it a guarantee that the Jets sign Cousins? Of course not. But I’m sure they’re among the Top 2-3 teams on his list if he hits the market.

And saying that playing for a coach like Bowles is a dealbreaker but pumping up the Broncos who have a total f*ckhead like Vance Joseph (who escaped termination in his first year by the skin of his balls) leading the charge is comical. 

The window for the Broncos is damn near shut. Both Thomas and Sanders are in their 30’s, the OL has deteriorated in recent years and that defense isn’t what it was even just 2 seasons ago.

And using the “why would Cousins want to play against the Pats in the AFC East” argument makes no sense when the grand alternative is playing against the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders with Carr/Gruden twice a year. 

Hell, within 2 years Brady and Belichick will be gone and the AFCE will be totally up for grabs.

I'm beginning to be resigned to the fact that there are likely only 2 qbs in this years draft that are legit.  Darnold and Rosen.  Even they have some question marks.  If we don't  trade up, we won't get them.

Allen is fools gold, and Mayfield ... Well he's being placed several rounds too high b/c teams are so ridiculously desperate for qbs.

22 minutes ago, Warfish said:

A winner stands pat and doesn't get sucked into hype or fan desperation.  He takes the QB that falls to him, and then drafts two 10-year starter O-linemen in the 2nd to protect him.  He saves his 2019 picks for the BAP WR or RB to start giving him weapons.  And he looks at every other FA option available on offense to support this plan.

A winner stands pat and drafts Darron Lee and doesn't get sucked into hype or fan desperation moving up for Goff or Wentz.  He takes Hackenberg who falls to him and saves his 2017 picks for two 10 year starter safeties.  How are we doing?

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

A winner stands pat and drafts Darron Lee and doesn't get sucked into hype or fan desperation moving up for Goff or Wentz.  He takes Hackenberg who falls to him and saves his 2017 picks for two 10 year starter safeties.  How are we doing?

A winner supports this by signing old windfoot david harris to an extension, and any db with two legs. 

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So an agent who got vastly more money than his player (McCown) was worth is going to what.....give us a discount on his vastly superior player?

If anything, the relationship you detail above increases the asking price for the Jets, it does not decrease it.  The agent suckered this franchise once, he'll try and do it again with his superior product.

Again, every word you posted increases our price by $1 mill a year, lol.

If you want to pay Cousins $35 million a season with a metric ton of it guaranteed, ok....crazy as hell......but ok.

But we're not getting Cousins if the price is matched by a better team.

LOL

Think your having hallucinations.  Where in my post did I say Cousins was going to give the Jets a discount?  Thought it was pretty clear the intention of the post was that McCartney might advise his client that the Jets were the best place for him long term, and the Jets were willing to meet his requests for his optimum  offense. 

Guess you were busy telling folks how "grossly ignorant" they were because they disagree with your agenda

27 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

And using the “why would Cousins want to play against the Pats in the AFC East” argument makes no sense when the grand alternative is playing against the Chiefs, Chargers and Raiders with Carr/Gruden twice a year. 

Winners would look at that question and say "why wouldn't I want to play against the Pats in the AFCE"...

If you believe in yourself you want to go against the best.  Imagine the hero he'd become if he were able to help knock off the Pats from their throne.  That's a challenge that a winner WANTS to undertake.

1 hour ago, flgreen said:

One, IMO, important item you left out is that Josh McCown, and  Kirk Cousins are represented by the same agent, Mike Mc Cartney.  I have to assume Mc Cartney, and the Jets are on very good terms after the Jets paid McCown $9M last year, when no other team was offering more then $2M.

I did not know this.  This is great news!  McCown loves the coaches and players and will no doubt relay that through the agent to Cousins.

30 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The Jets can make Cousins the highest paid player in the league

I too want to make a 10-15 rank quality QB the top paid player in the NFL for the next five years.  Who wouldn't!

Is there any way we can ALSO trade our #1 and both #2's to get Cousins as well?  

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I did.  Numerous times.  

So after the Jets won 10 games in 2016, you were posting in this forum that you wanted the Jets to suck in 2017 so they could draft Watson? Interesting. I never saw posts like that, but I don't read every thread...

I remember seeing people saying they wanted the Jets to draft Watson, but none that suggested BEFORE 2017, that the team should tank for Watson. Especially since you didn't really need to tank for Watson because he was drafted 12th overall. 

3 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

Think your having hallucinations. 

Not in the least.  Yes, his agent may tell him to play for the Jets, and that comes with a premium, maxed out contract.  

As I just said, if you want to make a mid-level QB the highest paid player in the NFL for the next few years......ok.

11 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I too want to make a 10-15 rank quality QB the top paid player in the NFL for the next five years.  Who wouldn't!

Doesn’t matter if Cousins isn’t Brady or Rodgers. Matthew Stafford is currently the highest paid QB in the NFL. Joe Flacco not long before him. It’s what the market dictates. Franchise QB’s don’t exactly grow on trees.

If you guys want to keep dicking around and treading water while we wait for the next Joe Montana to magically fall into our laps...then suit yourselves.

Me? I’d rather go throw the bank at a proven guy who you can still get 6-7 years of quality QB play out of during an offseason where the Jets will have $100+ million to spend and 3 picks in the Top 50 to further build the foundation of the team.

5 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Doesn’t matter if Cousins isn’t Brady or Rodgers. Matthew Stafford is currently the highest paid QB in the NFL. Joe Flacco not long before him. It’s what the market dictates. Franchise QB’s don’t exactly grow on trees.

If you guys want to keep dicking around and treading water while we wait for the next Joe Montana to magically fall into our laps...then suit yourselves.

Me? I’d rather go throw the bank at a proven guy who you can still get 6-7 years of quality QB play out of during an offseason where the Jets will have $100+ million to spend and 3 picks in the Top 50 to further build the foundation of the team.

Absurd to me that Jets fans would be opposed to this move. At all. Why? Because they'd have to spend a ton of money? This isn't throwing the bank at a Glennon type QB or a Tyrod Taylor or a Fitzpatrick 2.0. 

I would absolutely love for us to draft and build a winning team with our own guy from the start. That's the dream. But if an opportunity like this presents itself, it's just too hard to ignore. 

15 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Obviously, drafting a rookie who turns out to be a stud is the ideal scenario, but do we trust the Jets to make that happen? Personally, I prefer that route. But I have no problem signing Cousins and using our draft picks and remaining cap space to surround Cousins with enough talent to excel again. 

Cousins is very very good IMO. He is not 10-15. He is top 10. This past year he was 10-15 because his team was awful. The year before that he threw for nearly 5,000 yards and a 67pct comp pct. And he wasn't surrounded by Julio Jones and elite supporting cast. He had Garcon/Jackson/Rob Kelly and 12 games of Jordan Reed. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Five years? At least 5 different QBs will have been signed for more money than  Cousins by then. That’s not even going into that 5 year deals in the NFL are not 5 year deals unless the team wants it to be. Also Cousins is a top ten passer in this league, including two of his three seasons in the top 7 by DVOA. 

12 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Honestly, I haven't seen anyone assume the jets are the only team that can land cousins. Some have just made the argument that the jets, and their cap space, are in a better financial situation to pay cousins than many teams. 

While there are rumors that the broncos may be trading players to free up cap space, the Jets are rumored to be buyers. Maybe Jarvis Landry, maybe Allen Robinson, maybe some ol help.

Plus, if there is any team with a worse head coach then us, it's Denver. And Denver's amazing defense is no longer amazing. Look at the numbers from this year.

Well said.

I've been saying this forever. Thomas & Sanders are close to 31 years old! WRs crossing the 30 threshold ALWAYS start breaking down. 

What if the Jets land Landry & Burton? What if Enunwa comes back at 100%? What if Bowles & Macc see Sequan Barkley fall to 6 and pull the trigger? (I'm not for that scenario but Cousins if already signed would be thrilled) or with a high 2 & 3 it could be Michel, Guice, Jones, Akrum, there are a bunch of good backs in this draft.

A lineup of Kearse, Landry, Enunwa, Anderson? ASJ, Burton, Barkley/McGuire/Powell is a really nice offense. 

Denver lost 8 games in a row for a reason. And cutting high paid DBs doesn't make you any better.

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Not in the least.  Yes, his agent may tell him to play for the Jets, and that comes with a premium, maxed out contract.  

As I just said, if you want to make a mid-level QB the highest paid player in the NFL for the next few years......ok.

Cousins played way better than Derek Carr under much tougher circumstances, a beat up oline, injured TE (Reed), and were on their 5th freaking RB! 

Carr has a massive Oline, Cooper, Crabtree, Patterson & Roberts and was handing off to Lynch! 

We can front load a contract for Cousins, my god we just paid McCown what? 9 mill & Fitz 15 the year B4? Just give Cousins 30 in the 1st year & pro rate a huge guarantee.

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Watch Cousins end up going to some random team like Arizona or something that nobodies talking about. Then we're really screwed. 

Arizona’s in the rumors. The team I’m worried aboot is the Vikings, loaded team and quietly might have the money depending. Luckily they have multiple players to sign including arguably their best player in Barr. 

Overpaying for cousins is a no brainer.

Theres noone else on our current roster we need to pay. So, while cousins might earn 5m more than he deserves, the opportunity cost is minimal. Meanwhile, the opportunity cost of moving up in the draft is catastrophic.

Weve got 110M after a few cuts. Get cousins, richburg for long term. (40m) Sign john brown on a 1year deal (~3M for a go-deep guy who can replace robby’s talent). Resign davis ans claiborne (17M). Get another starting corner in fa (12M). Get Burton (8M).

Left with about 30M for a few depth players.

draft

1) OLB Davenport

2) OG Wynn

2) RB Jones

3) WR Cobbs jr

4) RB Freeman

5) LB Griffin

BOOM. The team is good

12 minutes ago, BrickTamland said:

Overpaying for cousins is a no brainer

Theres noone else on our current roster we need to pay. So, while cousins might earn 5m more than he deserves, the opportunity cost is minimal. Meanwhile, the opportunity cost of moving up in the draft is catastrophic.

This, and again I’ll emphasize that there’s a half dozen QBs lined up to possibly be even more expensive the next three years. It

Richburg’s whole appeal is the injury could make him cheap, not a guy getting big money this offseason. Still wildly prefer Jensen among the FA centers. 

4 hours ago, August said:

Why not ask me about the other stuff I said? Why are you focused on the white statement?

Well, you added it to the post only to be inflammatory, and divisive, now your going to get defensive because people reacted.  C'mon

4 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

This, and again I’ll emphasize that there’s a half dozen QBs lined up to possibly be even more expensive the next three years. It

Richburg’s whole appeal is the injury could make him cheap, not a guy getting big money this offseason. Still wildly prefer Jensen among the FA centers. 

Yeah. Getting cousins just feels so damn obvious and improving the team seems so freaking easy that im obviously stressed about how itll get effed up.

wont pretend to know who the best center is. Just gotta get one of the good ones available.

edited to include— bortles is scheduled to make 19m this year. Well see if he gets cut or restructured... but the point is Qb prices are crazy and you cant avoid it.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

So after the Jets won 10 games in 2016, you were posting in this forum that you wanted the Jets to suck in 2017 so they could draft Watson? Interesting. I never saw posts like that, but I don't read every thread...

I remember seeing people saying they wanted the Jets to draft Watson, but none that suggested BEFORE 2017, that the team should tank for Watson. Especially since you didn't really need to tank for Watson because he was drafted 12th overall. 

The Jets didnt win 10 games in 2016, they won 5, you have your years mixed up but I see where you are going with this and the answer is yes.  I was one of the posters adamant that the Jets didnt resign Fitz because I was quite confident that he would not be able to repeat 2015's magic.  I was firmly in the, let the kids play camp because worst case scenario was you win 2 games and suck enough for Watson.  I literally said that exact logic probably 100 plus times during that offseason.  I hated the idea of bringing Fitz back because I knew he sucked but was good enough to keep you out of the Watson running.  Ironically, they got lucky and teams devalued Watson for many stupid reasons.  Unfortunately, the Jets were one of those teams and took a SS instead. 

So yes, before the 2016 season started and the Jets were playing tiddlywinks with Fitz, I was making that case on this board.  And I'm pretty sure if others werent making that case, it wasnt because they knew the Jets were drafting 6th and Watson would go 12th.  Not unless they are psychics.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

I've been saying this forever. Thomas & Sanders are close to 31 years old! WRs crossing the 30 threshold ALWAYS start breaking down. 

What if the Jets land Landry & Burton? What if Enunwa comes back at 100%? What if Bowles & Macc see Sequan Barkley fall to 6 and pull the trigger? (I'm not for that scenario but Cousins if already signed would be thrilled) or with a high 2 & 3 it could be Michel, Guice, Jones, Akrum, there are a bunch of good backs in this draft.

A lineup of Kearse, Landry, Enunwa, Anderson? ASJ, Burton, Barkley/McGuire/Powell is a really nice offense. 

Denver lost 8 games in a row for a reason. And cutting high paid DBs doesn't make you any better.

So what some of you are saying is that on day one of FA we have to sign every offensive Fa we like so that we can then on day two pursue cousins.

This is all chicken or egg.  High end offensive fas are not going to jump to us unless we over pay them unless we have a QB.  the golden goose Qb is not going to come to us unless we have 5 or 6 high end offensive free agents.

this team with the awful awful plan is reaping what they are sowing, when you ignore offense for 10 drafts in a row it is not a quick and easy throw money at it fix.

13 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

So what some of you are saying is that on day one of FA we have to sign every offensive Fa we like so that we can then on day two pursue cousins.

This is all chicken or egg.  High end offensive fas are not going to jump to us unless we over pay them unless we have a QB.  the golden goose Qb is not going to come to us unless we have 5 or 6 high end offensive free agents.

this team with the awful awful plan is reaping what they are sowing, when you ignore offense for 10 drafts in a row it is not a quick and easy throw money at it fix.

Hm. Alshon jeffery (top offensive FA) went to eagles this year when they were 7-9 last year, before wentz had made a name for himself.

17 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is all chicken or egg.  High end offensive fas are not going to jump to us unless we over pay them 

Again the money is there to do so whether they pay Cousins first or last. They can even do it knowing that people crying overpay do not understand what’s about to happen to salaries across the board even before Wilson, Goff, Winston, and Mariota are extended. 

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Oh PUH-lease.... Take that sh*t somewhere else. You want Cousins, that's cool. But spare me the crap about dicking around -- an outcome that is far more likely when signing FA QBs than drafting one in the top 5 of the draft. Don't pretend for a second that going after Rosen is "just dicking around". 

One can like Cousins... one can even like him a lot and feel he is a the best way to address the QB spot this year, but don't descredit the other option, drafting a franchise QB at the top of 1... that is still the most tried and true way to address the position. 

29 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Oh PUH-lease.... Take that sh*t somewhere else. You want Cousins, that's cool. But spare me the crap about dicking around -- an outcome that is far more likely when signing FA QBs than drafting one in the top 5 of the draft. Don't pretend for a second that going after Rosen is "just dicking around". 

One can like Cousins... one can even like him a lot and feel he is a the best way to address the QB spot this year, but don't descredit the other option, drafting a franchise QB at the top of 1... that is still the most tried and true way to address the position. 

As  we’ve seen with guys like Sanchez, Harrington, Carr, RG3, every Browns attempt, Russell, etc etc it’s also the most tried and true way of blowing a half decade+ for a franchise. 

3 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Absurd to me that Jets fans would be opposed to this move. At all.

I'm not opposed.  But a fair and honest evaluation should be a bit more than the homer dreaming most engage in with Cousins.

Point being I've been arguing here that the Jets will have a VERY hard time signing an available Cousins.  He'll be in demand, and by better teams with better talent and a better front office than us.  And with enough money to pay Cousins the same as we can.

If it's so obvious to Cousins fans, why wouldn't it be similarly obvious to Cleveland, or Denver, or any other QB desperate team?

"Jets have enough to pay more" is not a legitimate analysis.  We're not paying 100 million just because we have it.  Other teams have enough to match any realistic offer we can make, and play in lower tax states, with better team and better history.  

We can love Cousins as much as we like.....he has to love us.  I've seen no evidence of that to-date, so we'll see.

Why? Because they'd have to spend a ton of money? This isn't throwing the bank at a Glennon type QB or a Tyrod Taylor or a Fitzpatrick 2.0.

So you say.  No way to know till he plays in Jets Green.  High priced FA QB's have been tried, and failed to replicate former success, before you know.

I would absolutely love for us to draft and build a winning team with our own guy from the start. That's the dream. But if an opportunity like this presents itself, it's just too hard to ignore. 

We'll see.

16 minutes ago, SenorGato said:

As  we’ve seen with guys like Sanchez, Harrington, Carr, RG3, every Browns attempt, Russell, etc etc it’s also the most tried and true way of blowing a half decade+ for a franchise. 

no different than anchoring yourself to 100million QB who doesn't work out. What's worse, blowing a first round pick, or 65 million guaranteed.

It's a pick your poison scenario. 

Archived