Jets can impress Kirk Cousins by signing a top wide receiver

Patriot Killa

8 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Just me speculating is all, was looking to see who could potentially be traded due to expiring contracts. Everyone breathe. 

Evans would cost us the number 6 pick in the draft plus a huge contract.  Evans and Cousins together would be a $50 million cap hit. He’s a great player but we’d be better off going a different route

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

His link said former Pro Bowler so it’s pretty unclear exactly who it is, Evans wouldn’t be a bad move at all though now that I have looked up his production and size 

Pro Bowler could mean anything.  Do you know who is a former Pro Bowler?  Brandon Marshall. Ugh. Demaryius Thomas, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Jeremy Maclin and Mike Wallace all fit that bill.  Thomas and Wallace are older, but their production was actually better than I would have thought last year.

Evans is an interesting thought. But they need Jameis to hit the next level and TB has 75M in cap space already. IMO they shouldn't be looking to trade but to lock him up asap.

I wouldn't completely rule out a trade if they think that DeSean is still good & that Godwin is ready to blow up. They do have OJ Howard under contract for a few years. 

I assume they will be re-signing TE Cameron Brate and WR Adam Humphries, who put up surprisingly good numbers this year. They are both RFA.

Who knows. TB in an interesting spot with TJ Ward and Brent Grimes also both FA. They've also got a starting G and DT as FA.

17 hours ago, BrickTamland said:

Evans is an interesting thought. But they need Jameis to hit the next level and TB has 75M in cap space already. IMO they shouldn't be looking to trade but to lock him up asap.

I wouldn't completely rule out a trade if they think that DeSean is still good & that Godwin is ready to blow up. They do have OJ Howard under contract for a few years. 

I assume they will be re-signing TE Cameron Brate and WR Adam Humphries, who put up surprisingly good numbers this year. They are both RFA.

Who knows. TB in an interesting spot with TJ Ward and Brent Grimes also both FA. They've also got a starting G and DT as FA.

TB is extending both of them.  This is negotiation tactics 

Good point about Desean Jackson I could see TB offering him up for a trade 

19 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Just me speculating is all, was looking to see who could potentially be traded due to expiring contracts. Everyone breathe. 

19 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Agree.  Watkins is made of glass Jets fans overrate him because he blasted Revis after visiting a buffett 

is it me are do you two guys look alike?

Can we take a moment to examine this little nugget from the original article:

...and general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't one to invest heavily in offensive skill players. He believes in finding those players in the draft.

What in the last 3 years of Mike Maccagnan's drafting has led the writer to this conclusion?

On 2/21/2018 at 7:31 PM, Patriot Killa said:

If you are talking about me, I just post the freshest news I see. Cousins or not. This is the way it is until March 14th.

you’ll have to deal with it.

Dude I admire your passion I really do but posting every little thing about Cousins is getting monotonous. You say "deal with it" or "get used to it" but  why not just keep it in one thread and post all Cousins news there? This way all the guys who want Cousins will have a space to talk about it and you can keep it current  by updating it daily. This way everyone is happy and it doesn't conflict with the flow of the board.

30 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude I admire your passion I really do but posting every little thing about Cousins is getting monotonous. You say "deal with it" or "get used to it" but  why not just keep it in one thread and post all Cousins news there? This way all the guys who want Cousins will have a space to talk about it and you can keep it current  by updating it daily. This way everyone is happy and it doesn't conflict with the flow of the board.

Some people prefer new stories to have their own threads so we don't have to sift through one thread to find news among 100 other random  posts. Honestly, who cares if there are numerous threads? I never understood why this bothers anyone. It's the off-season. What else is there to talk about Concussions? Some dude trying to peddle a signed Revis helmet?  

On 2/21/2018 at 3:31 PM, Patriot Killa said:

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/74579/jets-can-impress-kirk-cousins-by-signing-a-top-wide-receiver

Jets can impress Kirk Cousins by signing a top wide receiver

With free agency approaching (March 14), we're analyzing each position on the New York Jets'roster and examining possible upgrades:

Position: Wide receiver

2018 cap hits of top returnees:

Pending free agents: Quincy Enunwa (restricted).

Key stat: The receiving corps held up reasonably well, considering it underwent a massive overhaul in personnel. The wideouts finished with 10 touchdowns on pass plays greater than 20 yards, tied for second in the league, per ESPN Stats & Information.

Money matters: The Jets got their salary-cap house in order after dumping overpaid players Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker. Kearse has the only cap charge of significance, and that will be completely wiped off the books if he's released. They're leaning toward keeping Kearse, but it could depend on how things shake out with free agency and the draft. Enunwa probably will receive a second-round tender, an estimated $3 million.

Big picture: They have the makings of a nice receiving corps, but there are a couple of big questions: Will Anderson's legal issues derail his promising career? Can Enunwa make a full recovery after missing last season due to neck surgery? If all goes well, they will have a solid trio with Enunwa, Kearse and Anderson, whose deep speed provides a home-run element to the offense. They've invested significant draft capital in recent years, but their high picks have yet to pan out -- the oft-injured Smith (second round, 2015), Stewart (third, 2017) and Hansen (fourth, 2017). The position screams for a No. 1 receiver.

Free-agent market watch: Allen RobinsonSammy WatkinsMarqise LeeDanny AmendolaJohn BrownPaul RichardsonMike Wallace and Decker.

Also could become available: Dez BryantJordy NelsonRandall CobbMichael CrabtreeAllen HurnsTorrey SmithKelvin Benjamin and Marshall.

The game plan: If the Jets really want to impress Kirk Cousins, their No. 1 free-agent target, they'll burst out of the gate by signing one of the top receivers on the market. Problem is, it'll be hard to woo a top receiver until the quarterback situation is stabilized. It's a Catch-22. One thing is clear: They need a consistent and dynamic player to lead a group of complementary receivers.

Jarvis Landry was tagged a franchise player on Tuesday night, effectively removing him from the market. That leaves Robinson and Watkins (maybe) as the only No. 1-type receivers. It'll probably take at least $13 million-a-year to sign Robinson, and general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't one to invest heavily in offensive skill players. He believes in finding those players in the draft. If they pursue a top-tier free agent, it won't bode well for Anderson, whose off-the-field issues have clouded his long-term future.

If the Jets want to take a chance on a sleeper, they probably can get Brown, 27, on the cheap. He's coming off two injury-plagued years, but he was a 1,000-yard receiver for the Arizona Cardinals in 2015. Coach Todd Bowles was on the Arizona staff in 2014, Brown's rookie year, so he's familiar with his game.

Maybe watching Robby Anderson blow past CBs for touchdowns will get him a little excited

5 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Some people prefer new stories to have their own threads so we don't have to sift through one thread to find news among 100 other random  posts. Honestly, who cares if there are numerous threads? I never understood why this bothers anyone. It's the off-season. What else is there to talk about Concussions? Some dude trying to peddle a signed Revis helmet?  

So you would rather sift through numerous threads? Each story could addressed in order and the posts could follow. You wouldn't have to sift through one thread if it was kept current and you would have the advantage of using previous posts as a guideline for future conversation. Sounds like laziness to me.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

So you would rather sift through numerous threads? Each story could addressed in order and the posts could follow. You wouldn't have to sift through one thread if it was kept current and you would have the advantage of using previous posts as a guideline for future conversation. Sounds like laziness to me.

These threads that get to 30  pages become unmanageable unless you are reading them constantly. If I post a new story on page 15 of a single Cousins thread, if you don't check in for a couple of days, the thread is now up to page 20 and you have to sift through 80 "LOL Safety" posts by tomshane before you happen upon a news story you MAY find interesting. 
At least these threads have different topics that, if you find interesting, you can choose to open read the story at the top and then choose to partake, or not. 

To each their own.  

21 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

These threads that get to 30  pages become unmanageable unless you are reading them constantly. If I post a new story on page 15 of a single Cousins thread, if you don't check in for a couple of days, the thread is now up to page 20 and you have to sift through 80 "LOL Safety" posts by tomshane before you happen upon a news story you MAY find interesting. 
At least these threads have different topics that, if you find interesting, you can choose to open read the story at the top and then choose to partake, or not. 

To each their own.  

So we should cater to the casual user rather than the everyday one? Why would there be a gag post about a safety in a Kirk Cousins thread? Furthermore if you post a new story wouldn't you want to engage in conversation on that topic as it unfolds rather than let it wither on the vine? If you post something and wait a couple of days to respond its YOUR problem if you have to "sift" through a thread. With the amount of volume on this site you would have to do that anyway. Still sounds like laziness to me and a little bit of a sense of entitlement. As in your time is more valuable than others.

On 2/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, Patriot Killa said:

It'll probably take at least $13 million-a-year to sign Robinson, and general manager Mike Maccagnan isn't one to invest heavily in offensive skill players. He believes in finding those players in the draft.

I'm pretty sure when they ask him why he went defense with his first 3 picks in the 2018 draft, he'll say "I like finding offensive players in free agency."

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You should spend more at WR than G, ILB, S, or DT.   

Spending more and spending big money is not the same thing.

Obviously you don't agree, but in my opinion, WR is the most over valued position by fans, by a long shot.

Spending 10+ million a WR seems like a bad investment to me.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Why? 

Rational thought?  

Those positions are cheaper.  The only positions more expensive than WR are QB (duh) and DE.  The DE figure is inflated by EDGE guys and if you are running a 3-4, you should not be dumping huge money at DE.  O-line is inflated by LT.

2017 Franchise Tag Values

POSITION TENDER AMOUNT
Quarterback $21,268,000
Running back $12,120,000
Wide receiver $15,682,000
Tight end $9,780,000
Offensive line $14,271,000
Defensive end $16,934,000
Defensive tackle $13,387,000
Linebacker $14,550,000
Cornerback $14,212,000
Safety $10,896,000
Kicker/punter $4,835,000

What is the next question?  What, when or where? 

I am not advocating that the team go berserk signing high priced WRs, just pointing out that if you are going to spend cap, spend it on positions that cost.

On 2/22/2018 at 9:51 AM, bitonti said:

Remember when Kirk Cousins put the Redskins on his back and won all those playoff games? 

I don't. 

Do you remember when Kirk Cousins had a great OL and competent RBs, not to mention a defense?  

I can't.  In fact, his WRs have been pretty bad too.  Weaponz, you know.

6 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Rational thought?  

Those positions are cheaper.  The only positions more expensive than WR are QB (duh) and DE.  The DE figure is inflated by EDGE guys and if you are running a 3-4, you should not be dumping huge money at DE.  O-line is inflated by LT.

2017 Franchise Tag Values

POSITION TENDER AMOUNT
Quarterback $21,268,000
Running back $12,120,000
Wide receiver $15,682,000
Tight end $9,780,000
Offensive line $14,271,000
Defensive end $16,934,000
Defensive tackle $13,387,000
Linebacker $14,550,000
Cornerback $14,212,000
Safety $10,896,000
Kicker/punter $4,835,000

What is the next question?  What, when or where? 

I am not advocating that the team go berserk signing high priced WRs, just pointing out that if you are going to spend cap, spend it on positions that cost.

I went back and went more in depth in my thought process.  Just because they cost a lot, doesn't mean they are good investments.  

There are just about 25 WRs as of today that make 8 million a year or more.  If you look at the list, it's not chalked full of guys on teams winning lots in the playoffs.  The ones that did won prior to getting their big contracts.

There are exceptions to everything, but I don't think there is any evidence or trend that supports paying a WR big money is a smart piece of good roster composition.

21 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I went back and went more in depth in my thought process.  Just because they cost a lot, doesn't mean they are good investments.  

There are just about 25 WRs as of today that make 8 million a year or more.  If you look at the list, it's not chalked full of guys on teams winning lots in the playoffs.  The ones that did won prior to getting their big contracts.

There are exceptions to everything, but I don't think there is any evidence or trend that supports paying a WR big money is a smart piece of good roster composition.

I get your point.  As I said, I am not big on giving huge contracts anywhere, but WR is as good a place as any after QB.  The Eagles won the super bowl with Torrey Smith @ $5M.  You are correct that Alshon Jeffery got his big contract after the super bowl, but he was on a one year $14M deal in 2018 + Ertz at $8M per. 

The Patriots, and particularly the Chiefs are super cheap at WR, but they are paying over $9M per for top tier TEs.  I think the only team with a playoff win without a pass catcher making $8M+ are the Titans (fluky QB + Delanie Walker $7M) and Vikings (Rudolph $7M+Thielen $4.8M+Wright $3.7M). 

The point is to get value and WR value is higher than most other positions.  You may not want to pay a WR $8M.  Neither do I, but IMO that makes more sense than a 3-4DE at $18M, or paying ILBs like Harris real money.

Archived