REAL REASON why we should go all in for Kirk Cousins

Villain The Foe

11 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

1 month ago most wouldnt have thought that. Thats the problem. Kirk has put together 3 overall impressive years rhat indicates that he's a franchise qb. A franchise qb simply means a qb that you can win with. 

And though the redskins hasnt been winning, its for similar reasons why the Colts arent winning yet have a franchise qb. You put a team around Luck and you can win, same with Cousins. Thats what you're paying for. 

1 month ago folks didnt believe that if they put a team around Foles he could win, let alone a Superbowl. 

All 2020 hindsight  

Don’t put Luck, and Cousins in the same class, Luck lead a team with zero talent to the AFCCG, WTF has Cousins done?  Answer nothing.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Because salaries from FA aren't a ranking of players at the position.  They're the results of ability combined with supply & demand along with timing.  Is your thinking that if Cousins is the 10th rated QB he should be no more than the 10th highest paid NFL QB?  Because that's not happening.

This season, with all the cap room e have why is it an issue?  Who cares?  

Because very bad dollar of fa money you have used that is one less dollar you have to use the next year.  It also means you HAVE to be completely committed to  a player.  We could have given Revis or mowilk even more money and even more guaranteed because, hey who cares!  It is only cap money!

Everyone has a price point.

20 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Regardless of the source, 4-19 vs winning teams doesn't inspire confidence. 

We are talking about the Washington Redskins here, though.

If we're being realistic, you can't absolve either the team or Kirk for their record against winners.  It's a black mark on Kirks' resume and an indictment of Redskins football.  

I still don't see a better option; we're either being proactive in signing Kirk, giving up a boatload of picks to move up or waiting to see who falls to us @ 6 out of the quarterbacks.  

Free agency comes first.  We'll chase the Kirk for now, with eyes wide open about his limitations and the cost, and if we're unsuccessful then we can focus on the quarterbacks in the draft.  That's the only prudent option at this phase of the process.  

Rep just for the Avi. Love Thomas Shelby.

19 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Come on man, are you mad bro, are you crying...i'm not that old yet...remember time waits for no one you too will get old. 

Image result for funny paperboy pics

19 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Lol nah I’m not crying. I’m not mad. I don’t let guys on the internet upset me too much. It is what it is. I post threads from the web because 1.) I don’t agree with the notion every single person has already read the articles before I post them .. that’s just ignorant to assume. and 2.) I care about the board. Some cool ass dudes here and I like to get information where it’s viewable and get their takes

You and SAR can gang up on me all you want. It’s actually kind of pathetic given your ages. But hell, it’s all good. Like I said .. ain’t anything for me to get flustered over. Plenty of posters here who actually don’t mind my threads. BTW, that morning SAR claims I posted 12 threads .. it was actually only 3. But as I said before .. anything to fit the narrative right? Right.

Ok guys. Lets give it a rest. This is not the place to discuss your feeling. PM's are working again.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Because very bad dollar of fa money you have used that is one less dollar you have to use the next year.  It also means you HAVE to be completely committed to  a player.  We could have given Revis or mowilk even more money and even more guaranteed because, hey who cares!  It is only cap money!

Everyone has a price point.

So you're confusing they're paying what they think a player is worth with WTF have the cap space so let's use it all up.  For all the talk about Mo & Revis where's all the damage from their contracts?  You haven't made a point other than we could have spent even more and it might have been bad.  We purposely opened up 100 Mil or so on cap space to sign players at let positions, sports that cost.  Now we shouldn't use that room to sign the QB we need?  Out of fear?  

On 2/26/2018 at 10:20 AM, JiF said:

Just finished season 2, so good!

One of my all time favorites. This last season they really turned it up. Just stellar. Thomas Shelby is the mf-ing man!! @Bugg recommended it in the series thread awhile back. When I tell people to watch it i tell them to stick with it for a couple episodes because it took me that long to know what the hell they are saying. Haha  one to start watching with the subtitles on. Even though they are speaking English.

29 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So you're confusing they're paying what they think a player is worth with WTF have the cap space so let's use it all up.  For all the talk about Mo & Revis where's all the damage from their contracts?  You haven't made a point other than we could have spent even more and it might have been bad.  We purposely opened up 100 Mil or so on cap space to sign players at let positions, sports that cost.  Now we shouldn't use that room to sign the QB we need?  Out of fear?  

The bold part is EXACTLY what i am talking about.  If we sign cousins to a deal with money up front in which we can dump him in two years i am fine with this.

this is not the type of deals we are hearing about though, we are heating abut ungodly amount of guaranteed money.

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

The bold part is EXACTLY what i am talking about.  If we sign cousins to a deal with money up front in which we can dump him in two years i am fine with this.

this is not the type of deals we are hearing about though, we are heating abut ungodly amount of guaranteed money.

Here's a QB, they get big money.  If he puts up the numbers he's put up in Wash. he's a steal and worth every penny.  No one will care about the cap hit.  The 2 you mention, Revis & My are only recent because they played like shlt, not because of the money.

14 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Here's a QB, they get big money.  If he puts up the numbers he's put up in Wash. he's a steal and worth every penny.  No one will care about the cap hit.  The 2 you mention, Revis & My are only recent because they played like shlt, not because of the money.

He doesn't have to put up decent numbers he has to win.  Fitzpatrick put up decent numbers and won 10 games and was run out of the town the next year.  McCown 'put up decent numbers'

14 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

He doesn't have to put up decent numbers he has to win.  Fitzpatrick put up decent numbers and won 10 games and was run out of the town the next year.  McCown 'put up decent numbers'

QBs don't win with shltty teams. Two years ago Cousins, with the best Wash team around him won.  He put up huge numbers and made the playoffs. When the injuries mounted last year the win totals fell.  As should be expected.  That he kept them somewhat competitive and put up really good numbers with 11 offensive starters out is pretty impressive.  Stafford is great, does he get the Lions into the playoffs every year?  More than once?  Does Rivers?  Eli?  Even Rodgers?  Only the QB we have a shot at gets this kind of scrutiny.  

42 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I kind of want to get a QB that makes plays when it matters and wins. Nothing suggests Cousins is that guy. And there is ZERO....literally ZERO...chance he puts up those numbers on the Jets with a loser head coach that actually thinks we ran too much when we were incredibly balanced and coming from a team that already passed 3% more than we did.

23 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I kind of want to get a QB that makes plays when it matters and wins. Nothing suggests Cousins is that guy. And there is ZERO....literally ZERO...chance he puts up those numbers on the Jets with a loser head coach that actually thinks we ran too much when we were incredibly balanced and coming from a team that already passed 3% more than we did.

So we should just roll with McCown until Bowles is gone huh.

44 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

QBs don't win with shltty teams. Two years ago Cousins, with the best Wash team around him won.  He put up huge numbers and made the playoffs. When the injuries mounted last year the win totals fell.  As should be expected.  That he kept them somewhat competitive and put up really good numbers with 11 offensive starters out is pretty impressive.  Stafford is great, does he get the Lions into the playoffs every year?  More than once?  Does Rivers?  Eli?  Even Rodgers?  Only the QB we have a shot at gets this kind of scrutiny.  

top end franchise QBs do yes the do indeed. 

Let's be somewhat concrete on why Cousins is a LOSER and a COMPILER.

With Cousins at QB:

Washington was 31st in 3rd down conversion %,

BUT as a QB Cousins (34.6%) was rated 18th in the NFC (not the NFL) at %First Downs, Pass on 3rd Downs, basically the worst in the NFC. (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&rank=098&type=Passing&year=)

Well does that stat correlate to success? Well in the NFL, her is the Top 11 (11 because notice who was at 11)

1 J. Garoppolo SF 52.8 ( 28/53 )
2 C. Wentz Phi 49.2 ( 61/124 )
3 J. Winston TB 48.5 ( 50/103 )
4 B. Roethlisberger Pit 46.5 ( 73/157 )
5 C. Keenum Min 45.6 ( 68/149 )
6 A. Rodgers GB 45.1 ( 23/51 )
7 M. Stafford Det 44.4 ( 68/153 )
8 J. Goff LAR 44.4 ( 63/142 )
9 T. Brady NE 44.3 ( 62/140 )
10 M. Ryan Atl 43.6 ( 61/140 )
11 J. McCown NYJ 43.5 ( 54/124 )

Outside of Brees who seems to be an anomaly,  basically all of the best QBs in the NFL are in the top 10. I am not a McCown fan but he was 10% better than Cousins. or almost 33% better.

But Cousins threw for 4000 yards so you are thinking to yourself, well he's REALLY aggressive on 3rd down....going for the big play. Being a gunslinger.

Umm, nope. He is in the BOTTOM 10 for most conservative QBs on third down as well. (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-quarterbacks-are-leaning-on-the-short-pass-and-its-not-working/)

FIRST DOWN SECOND DOWN THIRD DOWN  
  SHORT% Z-SCORE SHORT% Z-SCORE SHORT% Z-SCORE TOT.
D. Brees (NO) 52% 1.38 54% 1.10 53% 1.39 3.87
J. Flacco (BAL) 48 0.79 55 1.28 51 1.12 3.19
C. Beathard (SF) 50 1.07 47 0.19 55 1.65 2.91
A. Smith (KC) 48 0.82 55 1.32 46 0.54 2.68
B. Hoyer (SF/NE) 45 0.42 55 1.27 49 0.90 2.59
J. Cutler (MIA) 42 0.02 51 0.66 56 1.77 2.45
B. Bortles (JAC) 50 1.12 48 0.35 48 0.70 2.17
B. Hundley (GB) 51 1.24 48 0.25 47 0.56 2.05
K. Cousins (WAS) 47 0.70 46 0.03 50 1.05 1.78
J. McCown (NYJ) 49 0.97 47 0.20 46 0.52 1.69

Interestingly McClown is just above him, which could mean that not only is Cousins lousy at converting 3rd downs, but his vision to an open receiver on 3rd down is also really bad.

So these stats show that Cousins is just dumping off the ball on 3rd down padding his completion % and yards, but not helping his team to win.

It is NOT coincidental that the best QBs in the NFL are also best at converting 3rd downs and also more aggressive than the average on 3rd down passes. They make plays.

Yet people want to make this loser the highest paid QB in the NFL. It is the dumbest possible move ever. BTW Keenum is a better QB than Cousins. Earlier in his career, he just was a victim of the most overrated head coach ever in Jeff Fisher, who had Keenum, Goff and Foles and made them ALL look completely incompetent. 

Please stop with the sign Cousins crap. He is a loser. Stats bear this out. Yardage and completion percentage mean absolutely nothing if you do not win and make plays. Cousins does neither.

He was also among the worst in the NFL in 2016 in red zone efficiency, and while he improved this year and had a high QB rating, overall Washington was middle of the pack in redzone, and Cousins threw the second most red zone interceptions in the NFL (3), and thew 2 last year as well.

I truly believe almost any other FA QB is better than Cousins, and not even close when $$$ is considered.

Also, never forget that Washington gave up on him, and his own head coach has never liked him.

He is a COMPILER. Nothing more.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Tell that to Garoppolo, or Rodgers since GB looked incompetent without him.

11 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

With Cousins at QB:

BUT as a QB Cousins (34.6%) was rated 18th in the NFC (not the NFL) at %First Downs, Pass on 3rd Downs, basically the worst in the NFC. (http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=NFC&rank=098&type=Passing&year=)

Interestingly McClown is just above him, which could mean that not only is Cousins lousy at converting 3rd downs, but his vision to an open receiver on 3rd down is also really bad.

So these stats show that Cousins is just dumping off the ball on 3rd down padding his completion % and yards, but not helping his team to win.

It is NOT coincidental that the best QBs in the NFL are also best at converting 3rd downs and also more aggressive than the average on 3rd down passes. They make plays.

Yet people want to make this loser the highest paid QB in the NFL. It is the dumbest possible move ever. BTW Keenum is a better QB than Cousins. Earlier in his career, he just was a victim of the most overrated head coach ever in Jeff Fisher, who had Keenum, Goff and Foles and made them ALL look completely incompetent. 

Please stop with the sign Cousins crap. He is a loser. Stats bear this out. Yardage and completion percentage mean absolutely nothing if you do not win and make plays. Cousins does neither.

He was also among the worst in the NFL in 2016 in red zone efficiency, and while he improved this year and had a high QB rating, overall Washington was middle of the pack in redzone, and Cousins threw the second most red zone interceptions in the NFL (3), and thew 2 last year as well.

I truly believe almost any other FA QB is better than Cousins, and not even close when $$$ is considered.

Also, never forget that Washington gave up on him, and his own head coach has never liked him.

lol so Cousins is a loser because he didn't win with a bad team. But Keenum who didn't win anywhere else was just a "victim" of bad coaching. Okay. You guys are funny. 

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

With Cousins at QB:

Well does that stat correlate to success? Well in the NFL, her is the Top 11 (11 because notice who was at 11)

1 J. Garoppolo SF 52.8 ( 28/53 )
2 C. Wentz Phi 49.2 ( 61/124 )
3 J. Winston TB 48.5 ( 50/103 )
4 B. Roethlisberger Pit 46.5 ( 73/157 )
5 C. Keenum Min 45.6 ( 68/149 )
6 A. Rodgers GB 45.1 ( 23/51 )
7 M. Stafford Det 44.4 ( 68/153 )
8 J. Goff LAR 44.4 ( 63/142 )
9 T. Brady NE 44.3 ( 62/140 )
10 M. Ryan Atl 43.6 ( 61/140 )
11 J. McCown NYJ 43.5 ( 54/124 )

Outside of Brees who seems to be an anomaly,  basically all of the best QBs in the NFL are in the top 10. I am not a McCown fan but he was 10% better than Cousins. or almost 33% better.

But Cousins threw for 4000 yards so you are thinking to yourself, well he's REALLY aggressive on 3rd down....going for the big play. Being a gunslinger.

Umm, nope. He is in the BOTTOM 10 for most conservative QBs on third down as well. (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/nfl-quarterbacks-are-leaning-on-the-short-pass-and-its-not-working/)

FIRST DOWN SECOND DOWN THIRD DOWN  
  SHORT% Z-SCORE SHORT% Z-SCORE SHORT% Z-SCORE TOT.
D. Brees (NO) 52% 1.38 54% 1.10 53% 1.39 3.87
J. Flacco (BAL) 48 0.79 55 1.28 51 1.12 3.19
C. Beathard (SF) 50 1.07 47 0.19 55 1.65 2.91
A. Smith (KC) 48 0.82 55 1.32 46 0.54 2.68
B. Hoyer (SF/NE) 45 0.42 55 1.27 49 0.90 2.59
J. Cutler (MIA) 42 0.02 51 0.66 56 1.77 2.45
B. Bortles (JAC) 50 1.12 48 0.35 48 0.70 2.17
B. Hundley (GB) 51 1.24 48 0.25 47 0.56 2.05
K. Cousins (WAS) 47 0.70 46 0.03 50 1.05 1.78
J. McCown (NYJ) 49 0.97 47 0.20 46 0.52 1.69

I appreciate your passion and some of the stats are certainly something to think about, but man there is some unadulterated bullsh*t in here.  

Keenum was the victim of coaching?  You mean Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips (and Rick Dennison, our new OC), and Bill O'Brien? Keenum was in the league for 3 years before he got to the Rams. Maybe you should consider which QB was on teams where the OC was getting fired and which was on teams where he was taking a head job elsewhere. Maybe Keenum is good, some guys are late bloomers.  OTOH, the idea it is likely he is better than Cousins?  Pretty far out there - he's probably getting $20+M anyway.

Saying Washington gave up on Cousins is even more ridiculous.  They gave up on him by paying him $50M the past two years and making him lucrative offers?  They burned their bridges and not only would Washington rather keep him, they know and admit them misplayed their hand. 

19 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Don’t put Luck, and Cousins in the same class, Luck lead a team with zero talent to the AFCCG, WTF has Cousins done?  Answer nothing.

Luck took a zero talent team to the afccg twice in the weakest division in all of f'ing sports. Now that the division has gotten better he's done nothing but lose dominance in the division. Now, i may hear about "injuries" but the best ability is availability. 

AFC South and the NFC East, you know the NFC east that has beaten Brady 3 of the 4 times they've met in the superbowl.

Luck hasnt had a winning record or made the playoffs since that division got better. Matter of fact, the Colts with Luck is the worst team in that division.

To ask me not to compare luck is ridiculous. Dude hasnt won a got damn thing to earn clout. Luck is an injury-prone under acheiver based on the clout constantly given while excluding what that division was when he was winning while Cousins is a overachiever who stays on the field yet is criticized in every way possible while excluding the division he plays in. 

10 hours ago, nycdan said:

Silly rabbit.  Nick Foles didn't lose a shootout in the Super Bowl.  He's worth much more than that.

But was worth nothing more than a back up role just one spring ago? 

Dont get me wrong, ive always liked Foles but what im reading from fans talking about "more than that" is exactly what fans get mad at dront offices about when they do it. 

Now im mot saying Foles isnt worth it...but if anyone has proven their woth over a 3 season stretch....its cousins

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I appreciate your passion and some of the stats are certainly something to think about, but man there is some unadulterated bullsh*t in here.  

Keenum was the victim of coaching?  You mean Gary Kubiak, Wade Phillips (and Rick Dennison, our new OC), and Bill O'Brien? Keenum was in the league for 3 years before he got to the Rams. Maybe you should consider which QB was on teams where the OC was getting fired and which was on teams where he was taking a head job elsewhere. Maybe Keenum is good, some guys are late bloomers.  OTOH, the idea it is likely he is better than Cousins?  Pretty far out there - he's probably getting $20+M anyway.

Saying Washington gave up on Cousins is even more ridiculous.  They gave up on him by paying him $50M the past two years and making him lucrative offers?  They burned their bridges and not only would Washington rather keep him, they know and admit them misplayed their hand. 

Way to ignore all the facts on focus on the one bit of subjective editorializing I did.

5 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

Luck took a zero talent team to the afccg twice in the weakest division in all of f'ing sports. Now that the division has gotten better he's done nothing but lose dominance in the division. Now, i may hear about "injuries" but the best ability is availability. 

AFC South and the NFC East, you know the NFC east that has beaten Brady 3 of the 4 times they've met in the superbowl.

Luck hasnt had a winning record or made the playoffs since that division got better. Matter of fact, the Colts with Luck is the worst team in that division.

To ask me not to compare luck is ridiculous. Dude hasnt won a got damn thing to earn clout. Luck is an injury-prone under acheiver based on the clout constantly given while excluding what that division was when he was winning while Cousins is a overachiever who stays on the field yet is criticized in every way possible while excluding the division he plays in. 

Dude your better then this you know there is no comparison from Luck to Cousins, just stop it only looks worse.

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Way to ignore all the facts on focus on the one bit of subjective editorializing I did.

Actually, it was two bits of subjective editorializing, and they were ridiculous.  I said your stats are something to think about. Did you only examine 2017, or did you look at 2015 and 2016 as well?  I didn't feel Cousins had a particularly great year, but the team around him mostly blew and I don't like the new OC as much.

What the Jets must do in their Kirk Cousins moment of truth

February 27, 2018 | 5:02pm

MORE FROM:

STEVE SERBY

In a perfect world, Christian Hackenberg is a star, an against-all-odds plum plucked by Mike Maccagnan who ripened into the franchise quarterback the Jets so desperately craved.

Alas, this is the Jets world. The perpetually imperfect of Broadway Woe.

Maccagnan made this quarterback bed, made it by gambling that Hackenberg could be his lottery ticket two drafts ago.

So this is why Maccagnan is gearing up for a Armageddon with the Broncos and Vikings at the very least for Kirk Cousins.

The fact the Jets are so eager to wage this battle shows you the state of their desperation, closing in on 50 years after Broadway Joe’s Super Bowl.

That desperation comes at a time when Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are 20-28 together and have extended the Jets’ playoff drought to seven seasons.

This is their moment of truth.

Cousins isn’t The Next Namath, and no one should be under any illusions that he is or will be.

And he is no $30 Million Quarterback.

Cousins in green and white wouldn’t mean the Jets would immediately be ready to topple Tom Brady and Bill Belichick’s stranglehold on the AFC East.

SEE ALSO

It is nevertheless easy to make the case that the Jets should be Kissing Cousins rather than Dissing Cousins.

It is easy to make the case they are less damned if they do than damned if they don’t.

It qualifies as the great debate between Buyer Beware and Go Get Him.

Go Get Him: Cousins is more of a sure thing than Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, Baker Mayfield and Josh Allen, and do you trust Maccagnan to get it right this time with the sixth pick?

Buyer Beware: Cousins (26-30-1, 4-19 against winning teams, per ESPN) is not an elite quarterback who can carry a team to the playoffs on his shoulders.

Go Get Him: Cousins (81:36 TD:INT ratio from 2015-17) is the best quarterback on the market and won’t turn 30 until August.

Buyer Beware: There is no such thing as a sure thing in New York, as a Jet. Ask Neil O’Donnell.

Go Get Him: Cousins would give the Jets credibility and respectability and stability at the most important position on the field and in the locker room.

Modal Trigger
Mike MaccagnanJoseph E. Amaturo

Buyer Beware: The Redskins preferred Alex Smith.

Conclusion: In the philosophical conflict between common sense and dollar cents, dollar cents rule in a league in which Jimmy Garoppolo lands a five-year, $137.5 million contract and the salary cap keeps mushrooming and if you don’t overpay, you could find yourself trotting out another journeyman quarterback and hoping the rookie you draft develops into your Quarterback of the Future.

When your Future Is Now, you overpay for what you consider a franchise quarterback.

Neither Maccagnan nor Bowles can afford to stake his future on the sixth pick of the draft.

The Jets can weather any five-year, $150 million salary-cap storm.

Broadway Kirk would allow Maccagnan to draft immediate starters with the sixth pick and one or both of his two second-rounders. And with the remainder of his $90 million or so available, he should be able, with Cousins as a recruiting tool, to add a couple of quality free agents.

If you need a so-called franchise quarterback, you go get one.

The Jets have needed a franchise quarterback since Maccagnan was in grade school.

If you have the money, you go spend it on one.

The Jets can’t afford not to go spend it on one.

If Blake Bortles has a chance to be the Jaguars’ $22 Million Man 

Kissing Cousins doesn’t guarantee a marriage made in heaven.

After too many years of Franchise Quarterback Hell, it would be borderline negligent for the Jets not to try to reel in the big fish in the free-agent quarterback pond.

Of course, because these are the Jets … death, taxes and Buyer Beware just the same.

On 2/26/2018 at 1:43 PM, Beerfish said:

4,900 yards, 68 comp percentage, 29 TDs, 12 INTs 95 QBR aren't decent numbers, they're great numbers, ones we've never seen here, ever.  Team would win with that kind of production.  Thinking that production like that can easily be found elsewhere, guaranteed given what history says makes it shaky 

On 2/26/2018 at 2:16 PM, johnnysd said:

There is literally ZERO chance that anyone knows that he can't put those numbers up here.  He lost 11 starters on offense, his entire OL, etc but you know it can't happen.  Nowhere has it been said that a team with a Cousins would run more.  You're just making up what you believe

On 2/26/2018 at 2:42 PM, Beerfish said:

top end franchise QBs do yes the do indeed. 

Really?  Name all the QBs who do indeed win on their own.  Rodgers, no.  Wilson, no.  Brees, no.  On and on, when the talent is down or injured they don't win by themselves.  Marino, Manning or Brady types are few and far between 

Archived