B/R's Matt Miller Reports Kirk Cousins Is Deciding Between Vikings and Jets

NYJets8

If I'm Cousins I take shorter term/less guarantee but better team and situation in Ny second. The only downside is injury risk but I'd imagine there is some type of insurance these guys have to recoup some of the lost earning should that occur.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much, yeah.  He doesn't add as. Ugh to the Vikes as he would to the Jets.  It's not a tough concept to understand.  Tell us, how many more wins would Cousins have added to the 13 win Vikes?  Now to the 5 win Jets?  Hard to understand? 

Lets say -1 and +2, but in the former scenario he wins 3/4 games and makes the playoffs and the latter he losses 2 more than he wins and watches the playoffs on tv. 

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

That's if we assume he has any genuine interest in coming to NY.

Lets assume he doesn't. (I don't believe he has any desire to come here)

Would that prevent his agent from using the Jets as pawns in their quest for the most money they can squeeze from the Vikes?

Not like it has never happened to the Jets before right ?

Also, this guy has made like 40-50 mill already and is already set for life (he isnt the type to go broke after his career) so his quality of life, indoor venue, SB ready team and so on is a big lure for a guy like him.

99% of everything we're talking about is based on rumor and/or assumption. 

We're pretty much debating if certain rumors/assumptions are possible/logical. 

Sure, making 50 million had him set for life, but if that was the case then he can just retire now to make sure that his lifespan is long and without chronic medical issues. 

Just saying. 

2 hours ago, Villain The Foe said:

99% of everything we're talking about is based on rumor and/or assumption. 

We're pretty much debating if certain rumors/assumptions are possible/logical. 

Sure, making 50 million had him set for life, but if that was the case then he can just retire now to make sure that his lifespan is long and without chronic medical issues. 

Just saying. 

There are reasonable assumptions and then there are leaps.

Of course he could retire now but that isnt relevant to what is really happening.

Make no mistake. I would like to see him here as much as you or anyone else  but having said that I dont see him considering coming to the NYJ even remotely as attractive as going to the Vikings or even Denver for that  matter.

At a certain point the kind of money he is going to get is pretty much the same for smart people who know what to do and more importantly not do with it.

I am sorry. I just cant see him wanting to join this cluster fock organization when there are other more qualified teams with smartly run front offices offering mega bucks for his services.

Please do me a favor. If he signs with the Jets PM me and rub it in my face how wrong I was. I will be the best tasting crow I ever ate.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The seeming offer from Minnesota is 3 years 91m all guaranteed.

Jets are up to bid.

KFAN1003 @KFAN1003

REPORT: Vikings set to offer Kirk Cousins huge 3-year, $91 million fully guaranteed deal

I belive the Jets are prepared to outbid everyone and anything.  

I really want a rookie QB but I'm pretty confident we're getting Cousins.

2 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

The seeming offer from Minnesota is 3 years 91m all guaranteed.

Jets are up to bid.

KFAN1003 @KFAN1003

REPORT: Vikings set to offer Kirk Cousins huge 3-year, $91 million fully guaranteed deal

I dont think Jets can match that. I dont mean dollar wise, but the huge amount guaranteed, on a good team, playoff ready, indoors, nice place to raise a family from all I hear etc pretty much seaals deal. If true it also validates ESPN report of a week ago Cousins wanted a short 3 yr deal so he could double hit the signing bonus twice as a Free Agent before retiring. This allows hoim to get another huge on the spot boat of cash agan in 2022 off season.

6 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

I dont think Jets can match that. I dont mean dollar wise, but the huge amount guaranteed, on a good team, playoff ready, indoors, nice place to raise a family from all I hear etc pretty much seaals deal. If true it also validates ESPN report of a week ago Cousins wanted a short 3 yr deal so he could double hit the signing bonus twice as a Free Agent before retiring. This allows hoim to get another huge on the spot boat of cash agan in 2022 off season.

I think the only way the Jets don't beat it is if they demand more years.  Jets would be crazy to do a 3 year deal.  Getting Cousins for 3 years with the current make-up of the roster would be horrible management.  

Great idea for the Vikings though - as there current championship caliber roster window is only 3 years. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I think the only way the Jets don't beat it is if they demand more years.  Jets would be crazy to do a 3 year deal.  Getting Cousins for 3 years with the current make-up of the roster would be horrible management.  

Great idea for the Vikings though - as there current championship caliber roster window is only 3 years. 

Jets would probably offer 5-6 years 150m 110 guaranteed

3 hours ago, CTM said:

Lets say -1 and +2, but in the former scenario he wins 3/4 games and makes the playoffs and the latter he losses 2 more than he wins and watches the playoffs on tv. 

We lost a lot of games close last season.  Cousins would have helped get more than 2 games.  

27 minutes ago, SouthernJet said:

keep in mind NY/NJ taxes plus the fact that the biggest house in the best nieghborhood in Minneapolis probably costs less than 1br condo in Manhattan.

20 minutes ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

And starting petty and/or hackenberg  all yr would have guaranteed the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Which would have guaranteed us nothing.  Would have cost us more. 

Which is why teams dont tank.  Only fans do.

1 hour ago, Kleckineau said:

There are reasonable assumptions and then there are leaps.

Of course he could retire now but that isnt relevant to what is really happening.

Make no mistake. I would like to see him here as much as you or anyone else  but having said that I dont see him considering coming to the NYJ even remotely as attractive as going to the Vikings or even Denver for that  matter.

At a certain point the kind of money he is going to get is pretty much the same for smart people who know what to do and more importantly not do with it.

I am sorry. I just cant see him wanting to join this cluster fock organization when there are other more qualified teams with smartly run front offices offering mega bucks for his services.

Please do me a favor. If he signs with the Jets PM me and rub it in my face how wrong I was. I will be the best tasting crow I ever ate.

We'll find out in a couple weeks. 

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

More like 8 days

My left nut vibrates and grows a tad everytime bad news is about to hit the Jets.

FYI: My left nut is now the size of the Grand Prize winning Pumpkin at Iowa State Fair last year.

stream_img.jpg

Just now, kevinc855 said:

The man wants to get paid. He’s coming here folks 

3 yr deal thoerhetically gives hom more money w/Vikes since he gets to do signing bonus all over in 3 yeras (The Revis trick)..

So Jets will have to do same, be content 2/3 yr deal worth considerably more money due to lesser team, high taxes, and pain in the ass Press corps.

35 minutes ago, 20andOut said:

keep in mind NY/NJ taxes plus the fact that the biggest house in the best nieghborhood in Minneapolis probably costs less than 1br condo in Manhattan.

Ever spend a winter in Minnesota? If you consider good quality of life living indoors for 8 months, yea sure. Sorry not into ice fishing 

42 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Which would have been big if there was somebody worth tanking for

Not tanking. It’s just playing your young qbs just to see if they have ANY future with the jets. Even as a #2. That’s all we could have accomplished last yr. We were in a rebuilding yr, holding $, trading or cutting guys who could have helped us win more. Why just Pad josh McCown stats who has no future here ? We finally silenced the petty corner. It’s too bad hackenberg didn’t get a chance. Even if it was a very low chance he would do well.

37 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Ever spend a winter in Minnesota? If you consider good quality of life living indoors for 8 months, yea sure. Sorry not into ice fishing 

He will be there July through December. His wife 'maybe Sept thru Dec.' unless wife stays in Virginia burbs to to keep kids in school (she&kids fly to games, probably in contract) while he has a condo in Minny (many players do this).. I doubt a 12 month committment unless he signs somewhere they both think is worth being there 12 months from a  weather/school/lifestyle point of view.

hell Parcells/Jimmy Johnson among others did this all the time. Parcells/Jimmy left for Florida as soon as season was over and didnt come back (except for Team functions) until minicamps and then summer camp. Parcells actually had his work place, florida place and a saratoga place for the short horse racing season in summer. (How many time did we have to hear Francessa say "i wuz wit Tuner this weekend atz Saratoga to seez da ponies")

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Which would have guaranteed us nothing.  Would have cost us more. 

Which is why teams dont tank.  Only fans do.

Cost us more ? What do you mean ? Look the jets decided last offseason to take a re-build. Mac let decker go, traded Richardson against the wishes of Bowles. They traded him for a valuable 2nd round pick. Kearse was a throw in who turned out to be a nice surprise. I give mac a lot of credit for getting a 2nd round pick out of anyone for Richardson. That obviously was another decision to sacfrice 2017 for the future, since a valuable 2018 pick doesn’t do anything in 17. Mac didn’t spend anything, he was saving the cap for this yr. 

Sure it wasn’t guarenteed we would only win 3 games and pick 2nd overall. But it was VERY likely if only hac and petty were our qbs. If we get cousins it really doesn’t matter if we pick 2 or 6. But you must understand the hypocrisy of trading Richardson for a very valuable 2nd round pick, only to trade that pick and more for a position we should have Been in anyway. 

21 hours ago, NYJets8 said:

Miller added that he believes the Jets will ultimately win the Cousins sweepstakes, citing the team's greater cap flexibility. According to Spotrac.com, the Jets have roughly $94.8 million in cap space, while the Vikings sit at $50.9 million. That financial advantage should allow the Jets to make Cousins a more lucrative offer.

This is far far away from the truth. Cap can be manipulated. Vikes don’t even need to take a cap hit larger than 10 mil this year and still be able to pay him 50 mil in 2018. If that’s what this guy is basing his ‘rumor’ on, then I’ll give ZERO relevance/importance to this report. 

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

Happy to say no, but if I won 30 million in lottery and was told I had to claim legal residence /and live in either NY/Nj or Minnesota for 6 months of year I think I could get by in Minnesota. Instead of ice fishing can I take up curling?

We are the Jets. We will give up 2 years worth of high picks to move up and get Rosen or Darnold and then as they walk up to Podium at draft to get Jets Jersey will slip and break leg on slippery spot caused by Max's dripping pizza sauce from a slice he is chomping on from off stage.

Then as medics wheel him out to ambulance the gurney will top over, breaking his throwing arm by Crusher as he is  rushing to the Nathans Hot Dog Cart cause they just reduced to a 2 for 1 special.

1 hour ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

Cost us more ? What do you mean ? Look the jets decided last offseason to take a re-build. Mac let decker go, traded Richardson against the wishes of Bowles. They traded him for a valuable 2nd round pick. Kearse was a throw in who turned out to be a nice surprise. I give mac a lot of credit for getting a 2nd round pick out of anyone for Richardson. That obviously was another decision to sacfrice 2017 for the future, since a valuable 2018 pick doesn’t do anything in 17. Mac didn’t spend anything, he was saving the cap for this yr. 

Sure it wasn’t guarenteed we would only win 3 games and pick 2nd overall. But it was VERY likely if only hac and petty were our qbs. If we get cousins it really doesn’t matter if we pick 2 or 6. But you must understand the hypocrisy of trading Richardson for a very valuable 2nd round pick, only to trade that pick and more for a position we should have Been in anyway. 

Cost us more in losing development, something most fans don't take into account.  Or what a HC loses in the locker by throwing a season.  Every single player was dead set against the idea of a tank.  Guess why, it's not how players are wired. 

Tradingfor a pick and then possibly trading it away is wrong?   Since when. Hypocrisy?  Oh because we could have tanked.  For which can't miss prospect?   

3 hours ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Jets would probably offer 5-6 years 150m 110 guaranteed

I could see 5-6 year deal in the $150-180M range, 4 years guaranteed. The idea is to front load the contract so we get the benefit of the later years. There would be no logical reason to cut him prior to getting those years.

Archived