ESPN: Keenum to sign with the Broncos

SenorGato

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22740371/former-minnesota-vikings-quarterback-case-keenum-intends-sign-denver-broncos

GD that was fast. They went from totally definitely the lockiest lock in the history of locks to sign Cousins thanks to Elway's jaw and other similarly legit "reasons" to Case muhfudgin Keenum. Someone offer up more hilarity and say he's better than Cousins. 

Such a great start to this offseason without even doing anything official yet....I mean both for the Jets and my being entertained at the things that have been said and unsaid just between January and mid-March. Looking forward to the reins being pulled on the Vikings and Bills next. 49ers I'll have to be a little more patient before their unjustified media ballwashing becomes another hilarious memory from this offseason (say after the Rams layeth the pimp hand down).

Solid and interesting read on Keenum from FO:

https://footballoutsiders.com/film-room/2018/film-room-case-keenum

However, Keenum is not a quarterback to regularly dazzle with keen pre-snap foresight and post-snap sharpness. Keenum is very much a loose player, winning primarily with mobility, the willingness to force the ball to elite playmakers, and a good deal of interception luck. 

As a quarterback, Keenum is plenty capable of winning the Super Bowl. Less capable quarterbacks have hoisted the Lombardi Trophy in the past, as recently as the corpse of Peyton Manning in 2015. The greater takeaway, however, is that Minnesota's offense is not reliant on Keenum being fantastic, but rather him doing enough to enable Diggs and Thielen as game-changers. When coupled with a suffocating defense, there is no denying Minnesota has found a clear avenue for success this season. 

How much the Vikings' approach and success (as well as that of the Jaguars) changes the league, we do not yet know. 2017 may have simply been an oddball year, or could be the catalyst for a league-wide revolution in how to build a winning team. Regardless, the meteoric rise of Case Keenum and the Minnesota Vikings offense is a fascinating case study in how to -- at least for the moment -- win without an established franchise quarterback.

--------

No clue what's up with the quote feature or why this happens...Anyway...

I don't want to knock the guy too much because he was legit productive last year. That said I am very glad he is no longer a possibility for Los Yets; not that I ever thought he was.

I hope I used the semi-colon correctly

Tis is probably the best pick we get for 5 years if Cousins sign.  Cousins might make us average. We also probably do not get anywhere near a championship.  So we will ve back in the soup with a mid rounder for each of the next 5 years. If we really like one of these QBs we should get him.

Just now, jack48 said:

Tis is probably the best pick we get for 5 years if Cousins sign.  We also probably do not get anywhere near a championship.  So we will ve back in the soup with a mid rounder for each of the next 5 years. If we really like one of these QBs we should get him.

If Keenum stopped the Broncos from taking a QB the hilarity of this offseason might overwhelm me. Esepcially if things go as I expect for the Jets and it's the Bills the Broncos trade down with...Mayfield in Buffalo is meat, and that's if they're lucky to get him and not Allen. I'd be happy to see two franchises sink themselves by being so shortsighted solely because of the early offseason narratives here.

Anyone know the money? time? 

That will be telling if they're taking a QB or not.  Anyything over $20mm per and it'll be tough to imagine them take a QB and if Barkley or Chubb are there they're not trading out.  If they are gone - the Jets are still fine at 6.

One of the 4 QB's will be there at 6 simply because there are two potential high level impact players in this draft..and seemingly only 2. (I don't count a guard, sorry)

27 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

For who? Who’s worth giving away the whole draft? Does everyone think four or five QBs are going in a row so they’re won’t be any to draft?

Oh I'm not sure, try any of the following for me:-

Rosen.

Mayfield.

Darnold.

9 minutes ago, shuler82 said:

Case Kennum is not stopping Denver from drafting a Qb at #5. 

Really depends on the money - If they gave him a 5 year - $100mm - $70mm guaranteed contract..they're not drafting a QB at 5 or trading up.

note - I don't expect it to be that high - but not shocked if it's close.

22 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Really depends on the money - If they gave him a 5 year - $100mm - $70mm guaranteed contract..they're not drafting a QB at 5 or trading up.

note - I don't expect it to be that high - but not shocked if it's close.

Elway should still draft Allen.  Broncos will never win a super bowl with keenum and Paxton Lynch is worse than Hackenberg 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Elway should still draft Allen.  Broncos will never win a super bowl with keenum and Paxton Lynch is worse than Hackenberg 

I get it but you can't darft Allen and keep him on the bench 3 full seasons and you're not paying Keenum $20mm to sit on the bench.

Nothing's stopping Elway from drafting a QB in two years or even next year - but doing it this year would be foolish.  Now, if he paid Keenum $12mm a year or so - then it's more reasonable but I think it's unlikely to be that low.

38 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Oh I'm not sure, try any of the following for me:-

Rosen.

Mayfield.

Darnold.

Add Allen (some drafts have him as the first QB off the board) and there’s 4 QBs with 5 spots before the Jets. Someone is going to take Barkley and Chubbs and possibly one of the other top players. 

Since 2000 (I didn’t check before then) there’s never been more then 2 QBs selected in the top 6. I don’t see this year any different. Jet fans are desperate for a QB so they assume every GM is. 

99 and 11 are the closet. 

3 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I get it but you can't darft Allen and keep him on the bench 3 full seasons and you're not paying Keenum $20mm to sit on the bench.

Nothing's stopping Elway from drafting a QB in two years or even next year - but doing it this year would be foolish.  Now, if he paid Keenum $12mm a year or so - then it's more reasonable but I think it's unlikely to be that low.

The bears signed Glennon and still traded up for trubisky

3 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

Add Allen (some drafts have him as the first QB off the board) and there’s 4 QBs with 5 spots before the Jets. Someone is going to take Barkley and Chubbs and possibly one of the other top players. 

Since 2000 (I didn’t check before then) there’s never been more then 2 QBs selected in the top 6. I don’t see this year any different. Jet fans are desperate for a QB so they assume every GM is. 

Good, then we can avoid the next Manziel and draft Nelson or Davenport at 6. If Mac is smart he uses the two second round picks to trade back into round 1 and get a qb like Jackson or Rudolph 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

It was $18.5mm guaranteed - if that’s what Keenum got. No doubt they take a QB. I just think it’s going to be much more.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

IDK, I could see them trading back to take a guy like Ward to replace Talib. 

As for the complaining, this happens every year. The Jets are quiet at the beginning and end up signing people

29 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

IDK, I could see them trading back to take a guy like Ward to replace Talib. 

As for the complaining, this happens every year. The Jets are quiet at the beginning and end up signing people

I just feel like if Barkley or Chubb are there it'll be tough to trade back - especially if they're trying to win now.  

The bigger question is how much pressure does this put on MN. to now sign Cousins.  They can't go in with the Bradford and/or Teddy.

They must truly be all-on on Cousins now.  If they were really only $3mm a year apart yesterday, as was reported, they won't' be today.

1 hour ago, shuler82 said:

Case Kennum is not stopping Denver from drafting a Qb at #5. 

Exactly. Keemun just makes it so they can go BPA at 5, and gives them insurance against teams trading up.

If in Denver, I draft Barkley - then try to get Lamar, Lauretta or Falk later in draft.

Archived