If Bridgewater is Traded...

10 minutes ago, bealeb319 said:

Bridgewater is better than Alex Smith and much younger, he has a long career ahead of him in the nfl if he can stay healthy. Also someone on the forums is defiantly going to take offense to the dipped in chocolate part and there is honestly no reason to describe him in that way...

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

No he isn’t better than Alex Smith. Only a complete goof would say this. It has zero basis in reality.

The kid has started a total of 28 games in his career and has thrown for 28 TD’s, 21 INT’s and fumbled the ball 11 times.

And when the Vikings gave him a couple of garbage time snaps at the end of last season, he went 0-2 and threw a pick.

Yet everyone is giddy about him having a decent practice on the first day of OTA’s...

Darnold is going to be starting by Halloween at the latest.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Bridgewater was also signed on the 13th (pending physical passed on the 18th)

They got Josh and Teddy for about 2/3s of what they would have paid Cousins (assuming Teddy gets his $10 million being here opening day)

Who cares how many QBs they could sign for the price of Cousins?  You don't get to play them all at once. 

2 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

No he isn’t better than Alex Smith. Only a complete goof would say this. It has zero basis in reality.

The kid has started a total of 28 games in his career and has thrown for 28 TD’s, 21 INT’s and fumbled the ball 11 times.

And when the Vikings gave him a couple of garbage time snaps at the end of last season, he went 0-2 and threw a pick.

Yet everyone is giddy about him having a decent practice on the first day of OTA’s...

As opposed to those rational fans comparing Darnold to Luck, right?

Hyperbole and hype isn't limited to supporters of a specific QB.

At what point did Bridgewater "having a decent practice on the first day of OTA's" become a BAD thing, a thing worth pissing and moaning at each other over?

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

As opposed to those rational fans comparing Darnold to Luck, right?

Hyperbole and hype isn't limited to supporters of a specific QB.

At what point did Bridgewater "having a decent practice on the first day of OTA's" become a BAD thing, a thing worth pissing and moaning at each other over?

You keep saying this, but who the hell has been comparing Darnold to Luck coming out of college?

Luck was the best QB prospect in almost 30 years when he came out of Stanford. The only other college QB’s that you can group him with are John Elway and Peyton Manning.

Darnold is a high level QB prospect with the potential to be great, but he isn’t a slam dunk pro-bowler like Luck was.

Saying that Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than Alex Smith is just blatantly false. 

And who said it was a bad thing that Teddy had a good day of practice? I just think it’s silly that based off of that one practice, you have fans who now want to sign him to an extension or are claiming we could possibly get a 1st round pick for him. No way in hell either one of those scenarios is coming to fruition.

12 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Darnold is going to be starting by Halloween at the latest.

Bold to be certain about the very uncertainty lol. I”ll take that bet. After ?‍♀️?.. what’s the bet ? We each get to pick the other’s profile pick for a week? 

I’d bet that the Jets have already fielded calls from other teams about Bridgewater. Not saying there were any trade offers but I’m sure GM’s are asking Maccagnan what his intentions are with Bridgewater. I wouldn’t do anything until the trade deadline approaches and we see how Darnold is progressing. A QB needy team could offer a good pick. But, we are getting ahead of ourselves...

If Bridge wins the starting gig, plays really well, you don't trade him.

In what universe are the Jets in a position to trade a quality starting QB?  This franchise has waited decades for one.  Who cares if it is the #3 overall, or a former 1st rounder forgotten due to injury?

We all hope Darnold is the answer, but there is nothing wrong with having Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on the same team.  Perhaps Nick Foles and Carson Wentz is a better comparison... etc...

Macc has to figure out the financial and logistical particulars, and keep them both.

30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Who cares how many QBs they could sign for the price of Cousins?  You don't get to play them all at once. 

You were the one complaining about McCown' 10 million and how it supposedly (untrue) prevented them from signing Cousins. I was personally never thrilled with the idea of paying a slightly above average 30 year old QB 30 million per year. Do I think they over-paid McCown this year.....yes. But given when they did it and what they had on the roster (Petty & Hack) at the time, not much of a choice. I was very happy they took a flyer on Bridgewater

Bridgewater is costing them $500k to see if he is healthy and what he has before the start of the season. It was a no-brainer signing him. It'll cost $10 million to keep him on Opening Day. I'd rather see him play over McCown if he shows he can, and if they are gonna trade someone, trade McCown. Same cap hit I think.

When you are building a roster, you look at what you have and ask if the guy you are thinking about bringing in is potentially better than any of the guys you have. Obviously, the Jets now feel Bridgewater is potentially better than Petty and Hack because they are gone.

Been fun debating this but it is getting exhausting, We'll agree to disagree. I'm ok (and prefer) if they keep 3 QBs, and if they decide to go with only 2, I'd rather it be Bridgewater and Darnold. My perfect scenario is Bridgewater starting opening day. I'll worry about 2019 hopefully in 2019.

EDIT: My bad #27. I got your point confused with JetsPlayer21. Most of this was in response to him

2 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

I’d bet that the Jets have already fielded calls from other teams about Bridgewater. Not saying there were any trade offers but I’m sure GM’s are asking Maccagnan what his intentions are with Bridgewater. I wouldn’t do anything until the trade deadline approaches and we see how Darnold is progressing. A QB needy team could offer a good pick. But, we are getting ahead of ourselves...

After 2 OTAs? Lol. The guy hasn’t played since 2015. Well he did appear in a game last yr ? So teams knew his knee was at least ok, but still his only option was the jets. 500k guaranteed was the best he could do. I’m a bit surprised, but if sure hasn’t change much if any yet. Teams want to see him in a few real game before they offer anything. 7th round picks are not anything

1 minute ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

After 2 OTAs? Lol. The guy hasn’t played since 2015. Well he did appear in a game last yr ? So teams knew his knee was at least ok, but still his only option was the jets. 500k guaranteed was the best he could do. I’m a bit surprised, but if sure hasn’t change much if any yet. Teams want to see him in a few real game before they offer anything. 7th round picks are not anything

Pretty much 

The Vikings knew more about Teddy’s situation than anyone, and they saw it fit to let him walk and trade a pick for Trevor Siemian instead of keeping him around on a dirt cheap salary for another year or two backing up Cousins.

9 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Pretty much 

The Vikings knew more about Teddy’s situation than anyone, and they saw it fit to let him walk and trade a pick for Trevor Siemian instead of keeping him around on a dirt cheap salary for another year or two backing up Cousins.

How do you know the vikings didnt offer him a contract, but he wanted a better spot to compete or was done with the organization for whatever reason.

Do I think there is something behind the fact that we got him for so little money, yes.  But maybe we should be focused on the $5 million and not the $500K. The only reason people thought we would cut him for only $500K was zimmer's comments about his health that are clearly not true.  So if we look at a one year deal for $5 million and a chance to compete for a starting spot in an offense that fits him, maybe it was better to come here then stay in Minnesota as the backup even if they offered 2 years and $8 million.

41 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

You keep saying this, but who the hell has been comparing Darnold to Luck coming out of college?

Literally on this very page:

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

We have a top 3 rookie QB (arguably the best QB to come out since Andrew Luck).....

Luck was the best QB prospect in almost 30 years when he came out of Stanford. The only other college QB’s that you can group him with are John Elway and Peyton Manning.

Don't tell me.  Tell the folks high on hype and hyperbole. 

Saying that Teddy Bridgewater is a better QB than Alex Smith is just blatantly false. 

I don't disagree.  But what point are you fighting here?  That Bridgewater doing well ISN'T a good thing for us?

And who said it was a bad thing that Teddy had a good day of practice? I just think it’s silly that based off of that one practice, you have fans who now want to sign him to an extension or are claiming we could possibly get a 1st round pick for him. No way in hell either one of those scenarios is coming to fruition.

I'm all for the death of exaggeration and hyperbole mate, but if you want to work on that here, perhaps you're aiming at the wrong target.  we have a contingent here putting Darnold in the HOF as the GOAT already.

We got like what, a few guys slightly optimistic that Bridgewater might be okish and healthy?

Yeah.  

1 minute ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah, I was.

And if a little lighthearted joke like that offends you...geez.

Geez right back atcha. Totally inappropriate in this day and age. Unless you are Archie Bunker. Try that on television or in the media and see how you get roasted. JMO.

50 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

You were the one complaining about McCown' 10 million and how it supposedly (untrue) prevented them from signing Cousins. I was personally never thrilled with the idea of paying a slightly above average 30 year old QB 30 million per year. Do I think they over-paid McCown this year.....yes. But given when they did it and what they had on the roster (Petty & Hack) at the time, not much of a choice. I was very happy they took a flyer on Bridgewater

Bridgewater is costing them $500k to see if he is healthy and what he has before the start of the season. It was a no-brainer signing him. It'll cost $10 million to keep him on Opening Day. I'd rather see him play over McCown if he shows he can, and if they are gonna trade someone, trade McCown. Same cap hit I think.

When you are building a roster, you look at what you have and ask if the guy you are thinking about bringing in is potentially better than any of the guys you have. Obviously, the Jets now feel Bridgewater is potentially better than Petty and Hack because they are gone.

Been fun debating this but it is getting exhausting, We'll agree to disagree. I'm ok (and prefer) if they keep 3 QBs, and if they decide to go with only 2, I'd rather it be Bridgewater and Darnold. My perfect scenario is Bridgewater starting opening day. I'll worry about 2019 hopefully in 2019.

EDIT: My bad #27. I got your point confused with JetsPlayer21. Most of this was in response to him

I understand your exhausted, but ...

I find your stance somewhat contradictory.  You don't want to pay Cosuins $30M because he is only slightly above average, but you are willing to pay McCown because he was potentially better than Petty and Hack, and Bridgewater because he was potentially better than Petty and Hack and McCown?  None of them are better than Cousins.  Potentially or otherwise.  I also was not in love with paying Cousins that much, but I'd rather give him $30m than $20M to McCown + Bridgewater.

In the intereest of accuracy, I think you have Bridgewater's contract wrong.  I am not sure how exact this is, but I think it is $1M guaranteed +$6M salary. He can get another $4M by ($250k per game) by starting more than 50% of the snaps.  if he starts more than 50% of the season snaps and they make the playoffs he gets another $2.5M. 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Literally on this very page:

Don't tell me.  Tell the folks high on hype and hyperbole. 

I don't disagree.  But what point are you fighting here?  That Bridgewater doing well ISN'T a good thing for us?

I'm all for the death of exaggeration and hyperbole mate, but if you want to work on that here, perhaps you're aiming at the wrong target.  we have a contingent here putting Darnold in the HOF as the GOAT already.

We got like what, a few guys slightly optimistic that Bridgewater might be okish and healthy?

Yeah.  

Since Andrew Luck?

As in the best QB prospect to come out of college in the last 6-7 years? I don’t think that’s nutty. I’d personally put him neck and neck with Wentz as the best QB prospect since then.

I like Darnold more than I did Winston, Mariota, Bortles, Bridgewater, Goff, Carr, Trubisky, Watson and all of the other QB’s who have come out in the meantime.

58 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I find your stance somewhat contradictory.  You don't want to pay Cosuins $30M because he is only slightly above average, but you are willing to pay McCown because he was potentially better than Petty and Hack, and Bridgewater because he was potentially better than Petty and Hack and McCown?  None of them are better than Cousins.  Potentially or otherwise.  I also was not in love with paying Cousins that much, but I'd rather give him $30m than $20M to McCown + Bridgewater.

In the intereest of accuracy, I think you have Bridgewater's contract wrong.  I am not sure how exact this is, but I think it is $1M guaranteed +$6M salary. He can get another $4M by ($250k per game) by starting more than 50% of the snaps.  if he starts more than 50% of the season snaps and they make the playoffs he gets another $2.5M. 

(sigh) Ok, I'll try it again ?

I don't think I'm being contradictory. Ok, Cousins didn't get $30 million/per, he got $84 million over 3 years...FULLY GUARANTEED.

So yes, I was ok with the combo of McCown & Bridgewater AND the possibilities of the #6 pick (as of March 13th) for only $20 million (roughly) committed for 2018 vs $84 million to Cousins for 3 years. At that time my thought was if Bridgewater can come back to an above average starting QB, the Jets got a steal. And that was exclusive of what they did with the #6 pick at the time. Plus the Jets had other needs and holes to fill with that $8 million saved and were far from a "ready to challenge" team that Cousins went to. I think he would have been exposed more here. He doesn't strike me as a QB that can carry a team, and for $28 million per year, that QB damn well should (IMO).

The thing is you can't look at the signings of McCown and Bridgewater in a vacuum. The Jets knew what they thought of Petty & Hack. They were going to try and improve over the 2 QBs they had (not hard to do). The Jets knew they had a tentative deal in place for the #3 pick. My opinion is once they lost out on Cousins (hopefully a good thing when we look back on it) on March 13th, they went to plan B and a) signed a future QB coach/mentor for a rookie QB in McCown, b) took a flyer on a possible 2018 starting young QB with future upside in Bridgewater on a "show me" deal and c) knew they would be drafting a QB in April. 

I can understand why some might want to trade Bridgewater if he shows strong in the pre-season....i just don't agree with it. QBs are such a commodity and so hard to find, I think you hold onto them as long as you can if you have them. GB drafted Rodgers and made him sit for a few years behind Favre. Wash drafted Cousins in the same draft where they took RGIII. I don't think either team ever regretted doubling down on the position when they had the chance. It paid off in both cases. I hope it does for us too.

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

Paying Cousins $30 million in any scenario is lunacy

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

....the idea of paying a slightly above average 30 year old QB 30 million per year.

Just curious, but when did "Consistently Top 10" become "slightly above average"?

How soon can we expect, for example, Sam Darnold to finish 12th, 6th and 8th in passing?

Cause I'll be VERY excited if we get that from Darnold any time in the next 3-4 years.

What if cousins is not good with the Vikings?

Sent from my [device_name] using http://JetNation.com mobile app

For a Quarterback starved team for almost a half century some people want to trade a potentially very good maybe excellent QB. Let’s give the guy a chance first. If he flops, no big loss, if he excels, keep him. QBs will get injured in this game. Not if, but when. McCown is more than likely gone next year. Don’t even know if Darnold will live up to all the hype. I hope he exceeds all our expectations but we really don’t know. TB is still young and could develop into a starter and we’re trading him already. 

Good Grief!

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Just curious, but when did "Consistently Top 10" become "slightly above average"?

How soon can we expect, for example, Sam Darnold to finish 12th, 6th and 8th in passing?

Cause I'll be VERY excited if we get that from Darnold any time in the next 3-4 years.

Sorry Warfish, but I don't base my QB opinions on just passing yards. Apparently, others don't either:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/qbr

5 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Yeah, I was.

And if a little lighthearted joke like that offends you...geez.

Being funny is the best defense against charges of something being offensive. You fell short

5 hours ago, Dcat said:

Geez right back atcha. Totally inappropriate in this day and age. Unless you are Archie Bunker. Try that on television or in the media and see how you get roasted. JMO.

Bunker was funny. See above

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Yeah, Josh McCown and Kirk Cousins, totally equal.  Cause QBR says so.

Guess we should have paid Josh more then.

Not dumb enough to argue that but still believe Cousins' stats lie. I followed him a lot because of other interests (FF) and a lot of meaningless yards IMO. Not gonna convince me he is a consistent top 10 QB

Archived