If Bridgewater is Traded...

It has been suggested that if Bridgewater is healthy he could become trade bait and we might land someone to fill a critical hole. Here's a prospective roster from Ourlads

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/QB

Which teams, in your judgment, are likely trading partners and what would we potentially get in return?

Looks to me like Bridgewater's best place would be QB2 unless we hold out for an injury replacement deeper in the season. If his best option is QB2, what would the likely cost be if the Jets held on to him past this year?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Looks to me like Bridgewater's best place would be QB2 unless we hold out for an injury replacement deeper in the season. If his best option is QB2, what would the likely cost be if the Jets held on to him past this year?

Interesting that Ourlads lists Allen and Rosen as #2 on their respective teams while Darnold and Mayfield are listed at #3. 

Anyway, I think if Bridgewater is traded, it will be to be someone's starting QB. No one's offering anything of real value for him if they only want him as a backup. If that's the case, the Jets are better off holding onto him. 

Looking at the Cowboys depth chart, I'm surprised Bridgewater didn't sign there in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, slats said:

Interesting that Ourlads lists Allen and Rosen as #2 on their respective teams while Darnold and Mayfield are listed at #3. 

Anyway, I think if Bridgewater is traded, it will be to be someone's starting QB. No one's offering anything of real value for him if they only want him as a backup. If that's the case, the Jets are better off holding onto him. 

Looking at the Cowboys depth chart, I'm surprised Bridgewater didn't sign there in the first place. 

Apparently the Cowboys are happy with Dak. They said they’re working on a long term contract or some sh*t. 

18 minutes ago, slats said:

Teddy would have to play and show a lot for any team, I think, to want to trade for him. And that might not even happen. I think he has a better chance of being cut then being traded.

Just now, MDL_JET said:

Teddy would have to play and show a lot for any team, I think, to want to trade for him. And that might not even happen. I think he has a better chance of being cut then being traded.

I could see him and Darnold getting the bulk of the preseason reps while McCown sits most of the time and Hack handles mop-up duties. I don't know if he has a better chance of being cut than being traded, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's cut. I do think the Jets will try to showcase him, especially if they expect Darnold to start sooner rather than later. 

49 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

It has been suggested that if Bridgewater is healthy he could become trade bait and we might land someone to fill a critical hole. Here's a prospective roster from Ourlads

Which teams, in your judgment, are likely trading partners and what would we potentially get in return?

Highest possible draft pick please. 

Two things need to happen:

1. He shows that he is healthy enough to play in pre season games in which case it might not be surprising to see him win the starting job

2. Hackenberg shows that he has improved significantly in his time in pre season 

Odds on the former are undeterminable until camp starts. Odds on the latter are fairly low. Odds on both, well, I wouldn't bet the rent money 

14 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Trading Bridgewater would likely mean keeping Hack.  No thanks.

What if Hack clearly improved from last year? As a cheap, young, 3rd string QB...why not? He probably won't even see the field being buried on the depth chart. 

Denver, Washington, Chargers... River is getting up there, A. Smith, could easily fall off without the Andy Reid offense, and Who knows what happens with Denver's QB's I don't trust any on their roster.

there is nothing saying we have to trade him this year. We can keep him around a year and try to let him build value... 

Also no one knows what could happen with any teams QB and injuries... Look at Luck in Indy, hell that guy is a huge "?" after the shoulder surgery. Anything could happen so it's tough to say today when everyone appears healthy/injury free and its May. 

23 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I cant believe we are still talking about Bridgewater.  He is going to get cut very soon.  He cant play and wasnt any good when he could play.  Talking about getting a second or third round pick for this guy is laughable.

We're talking about what's he worth and how the Jets might leverage him. Your opinion is perfectly fair, but it's a reasonable discussion, given that we have no idea what he can do at this point.

58 minutes ago, The Crimson King said:

Two things need to happen:

1. He shows that he is healthy enough to play in pre season games in which case it might not be surprising to see him win the starting job

2. Hackenberg shows that he has improved significantly in his time in pre season 

Odds on the former are undeterminable until camp starts. Odds on the latter are fairly low. Odds on both, well, I wouldn't bet the rent money 

So you're suggesting the possibility that the Jets actually discover they have 4 viable and valuable QBs on the roster?  That would be simply earth-shattering for a franchise that has had a time finding just 1.

My ideal scenario would be Bridgewater starting the season with Darnold observing and learning as McCown whispers tips and insights to him on the sideline.  We then trade Teddy sometime in early October to a competitive team that loses its starting QB due to injury.  Next year, with Darnold starting, we either bring back McCown and use Hack as #3, or sign another decent and capable vet at #2 to continue supporting Darnold.

27 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I cant believe we are still talking about Bridgewater.  He is going to get cut very soon.  He cant play and wasnt any good when he could play.  Talking about getting a second or third round pick for this guy is laughable.

He is going to get cut very soon.

You have no idea at all. Not one shred of evidence even hinting at this.

He cant play

LOL..  You have no idea of this at all.  Yet you speak as if you actually are knowledgable.  Too funny.

nd wasnt any good when he could play.

Double LOL.  This is patently false.  He was coming around nicely until the unfortunate injury.  He barely had a chance.

I nominate your post as a contender for the dumbest post of the year.

1 hour ago, slats said:

I could see him and Darnold getting the bulk of the preseason reps while McCown sits most of the time and Hack handles mop-up duties. I don't know if he has a better chance of being cut than being traded, but it wouldn't surprise me if he's cut. I do think the Jets will try to showcase him, especially if they expect Darnold to start sooner rather than later. 

This - especially since McCown showed last year that he's fine with an unusual distribution of preseason snaps

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

What if Hack clearly improved from last year? As a cheap, young, 3rd string QB...why not? He probably won't even see the field being buried on the depth chart. 

I like to play golf.  I have a 2 iron that I never use.  Do I keep that club in the bag or do I replace it with a hybrid I will use.  The 2 iron is in the basement.  Hack is a waste of a spot.  JoJo Natson has more purpose than Hack.

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

A QB will be injured before the start of the season... it always happens

Well, we do need an offensive line. 

If we're gonna trade Bridgewater let's wait to see if he's healthy and can return to form. If he does, he becomes a lot more valuable. We can either keep him or trade him to get some high draft picks, given how desperate teams are today for starting quality QBs.

2 hours ago, Stark said:

Denver, Washington, Chargers... River is getting up there, A. Smith, could easily fall off without the Andy Reid offense, and Who knows what happens with Denver's QB's I don't trust any on their roster.

there is nothing saying we have to trade him this year. We can keep him around a year and try to let him build value... 

Also no one knows what could happen with any teams QB and injuries... Look at Luck in Indy, hell that guy is a huge "?" after the shoulder surgery. Anything could happen so it's tough to say today when everyone appears healthy/injury free and its May. 

And added to this is the fact that we seem to have a good relationship with the Indy FO..... Maybe get our 2nd round pick back next year?

2 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

We're talking about what's he worth and how the Jets might leverage him. Your opinion is perfectly fair, but it's a reasonable discussion, given that we have no idea what he can do at this point.

That's the key point. We have NO idea what he's worth. If I had to guess at this point it's zip.  IMHO I'd like to keep TB as  insurance, obviously if he's football healthy.  I'd like nothing better than to see him return to his post injury pro bowl level.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see TB starts. Very talented and was up and coming before his injury. If he got the green light to play, which he did, he must be healthy enough to play the game. Don’t underestimate this guy. I remember when Carson Palmer went down and they thought he might be done. I don’t see where trading him is a good idea. McCown is done after this year. If there is any way to keep Hack  perhaps on the practice squad make him a third stringer next year and let Darnold and TB battle it out for the starting spot in 19. Then the Jets have a Wentz- Foles tandem. 

If Bridgewater is healthy he will get plenty of preseason reps. If he is far and away our best option then he starts for us. If it's close between him and Darnold then Darnold starts. If it was close and Darnold is starting then we have a solid backup that becomes tradeable to a playoff bound team that loses a QB unless of course we are playoff bound. Alot of variables. Too many to discuss but it will play out one way or another. It always does.

While I have been talking about the possibility of shopping Bridgewater for a while now, I don't think it's nearly as much of a given as many seem to be thinking since the draft.  It happening would likely be dependent on other team's becoming convinced Bridgewater is both fully healthy and could have potential as a starter for their team.  If the Jets get offered peanuts in return for him, they likely won't see the deal as worth it, and would just hold onto him for insurance purposes (or more).  Considering the deal the Jets' got Bridgewater on, there's clearly no big offers they'll be getting anytime soon, so it would be dependent on a major increase in perceived value from other teams over the next 3-4 months.  Easier said than done.

In regards to why they even made this move, while the Jets obviously knew they were going QB in this draft, they of course had no idea which one it would be.  It's entirely possible there were certain QBs they would have less interest in playing their rookie year (e.g., Allen), that would make Bridgewater far more enticing.  As it is, I'm not as sure as some around here that the Jets are already set to do nothing with him.  If I had to guess, here's the ranking of how the Jets would want to see their options at QB go, to start the season:

#1 Preference:  Darnold outright wins the starting job, without any debate or grading on a rookie curve.  He goes on to be their guy from day one and they never look back.

#2:  Darnold is not yet ready, but Bridgewater shows his health, abillity, and wins the job.  If successful enough, he can either become far more enticing trade bait, or gives them more freedom with how they choose to handle Darnold.

#3:  Worst case scenario, they have McCown in their pocket to start, if the other guys weren't able to step it up.  He won't ever be "the guy" but is clearly beloved across the board by the locker room, coaches, and front office.  He'll hold the fort while they wait for Darnold to be ready, and in the meantime they'll look to get the rest of the team stabilized (as much as they can).

Point being, while Darnold is going to be the guy sooner or later, if he's not ready to go for week 1, I'm sure they'll be quietly rooting for Bridgewater to beat out McCown.  Not to mention, the only downside of keeping Bridgewater even if only as a backup would be his salary ($6M, which is backup money at QB) and cutting Hack (who cares?).

i don't see where a bridgewater trade should even be discussed at this moment.  he's shown nothing and may likely be cut if his knee isn't right.  also, darnold hasn't played an nfl game yet (including pre-season).  let's get to training camp and into pre-season to see if bridgewater has value or darnold starts or hack is capable of being a back up or if mccown even has anything less.

41 minutes ago, Nixhead said:

If Bridgewater is healthy he will get plenty of preseason reps. If he is far and away our best option then he starts for us. If it's close between him and Darnold then Darnold starts. If it was close and Darnold is starting then we have a solid backup that becomes tradeable to a playoff bound team that loses a QB unless of course we are playoff bound. Alot of variables. Too many to discuss but it will play out one way or another. It always does.

If Bridgewater outplays Darnold he will be traded. There is like a 99% chance Darnold is day 1 starter.

Archived