July Madness: All Time Draft Discussion Thread

Lith

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

FWIW, IMO

Clark > Monk

Lambert > Ham

Stallworth > Swann 

Never having seen these guys play, I can't speak on any of these.  I'm still surprised you have Clark ahead of Monk though.  What made Clark better? 

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Monk is an interesting case.  Took him a long time to get the call for the Hall.  More of a complier of really good years with a few great ones than a dominant WR for a shorter time.  Not a guy I'd take as WR1 but definitely a great fit for my WR2 / slot guy across the middle.  6'3" 210 lbs. he had two traits I really value in that position.  Sure hands and great blocking skills along with willingness to do it. 

Gibbs said he used him like a TE a lot and felt that held him back in terms of stats and HoF votes.  I've seen articles that compared the way he was used to Shannon Sharpe and suggested there wasn't much difference.  He was a name we all knew when he played, but probably didn't appreciate as much as his coaches and teammates did.  At the end of the day, though, he did everything well.  Long routes, crossing patterns, blocking, whatever helped the Redskins advance and score.  With the OL I have so far, and Brees able to use the whole field like it was his bitch, Monk is a perfect WR2 and depending on who else I add, I can see using him in the equivalent of 2-TE sets.  

Like someone said, this exercise gives us appreciation for some of the great players of the past that we didn't follow as closely because they weren't Jets.  While Monk was briefly a Jet, if he'd been one his whole career he'd be a legend here, as would a lot of these guys.  

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Never having seen these guys play, I can't speak on any of these.  I'm still surprised you have Clark ahead of Monk though.  What made Clark better? 

That is probably the toughest of the bunch.  Monk probably had a better career, but Clark was way more dynamic.  Monk was more of a  possession receiver, but I think defenses were more worried about Clark. I am a bit biased because USFL and Clark just looked better out there.  Looking at the stats I am confident in my assessment - Clark  had way more yards per reception and 3 less TDs in like 60 less games.  Gary Clark, ladies and gentlemen!

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Monk played basically 15 seasons, Clark 11.

Both were 1st team all pro one time, Clark made 4 PBs and Monk 3.

Monk had 5 1,000 yd seasons, Clark also had 5(in 4 less seasons)

Clark averaged 2 more yds per reception

Clark had 3 less TDs in 4 less seasons

both had 4 top 10 seasons in recs

Clark had 5 top 10s in rec TDs, Monk 1

Clark had 5 top 10 rec yd seasons, Monk 3

Both were very good players, neither were great but Clark was the guy that killed opposing defenses. 

6 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Monk is an interesting case.  Took him a long time to get the call for the Hall.  More of a complier of really good years with a few great ones than a dominant WR for a shorter time.

Agreed. It may be controversial, but that's why I went with Chad Johnson over Monk with my second WR. Looking for a guy who can take over a game single handedly, and CJ was the only one left after I took Sterling that could do so.

5 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

That is probably the toughest of the bunch.  Monk probably had a better career, but Clark was way more dynamic.  Monk was more of a  possession receiver, but I think defenses were more worried about Clark. I am a bit biased because USFL and Clark just looked better out there.  Looking at the stats I am confident in my assessment - Clark  had way more yards per reception and 3 less TDs in like 60 less games.  Gary Clark, ladies and gentlemen!

I agree with you on Clark > Monk.  Both really good receivers, but Clark was the big play guy.  Almost 11,000 yards in 11 seasons -- averaged nearly 1,000 yards per season (even I can do that math).  Monk may have had more catches and more yards in his career, but he was not the playmaker that Gary Clark was.  They were perfect complements for each other.  Both really good players, but I would give the edge to Clark.

14 minutes ago, Lith said:

I agree with you on Clark > Monk.  Both really good receivers, but Clark was the big play guy.  Almost 11,000 yards in 11 seasons -- averaged nearly 1,000 yards per season (even I can do that math).  Monk may have had more catches and more yards in his career, but he was not the playmaker that Gary Clark was.  They were perfect complements for each other.  Both really good players, but I would give the edge to Clark.

Again, they are very different types of WRs.  Clark was 5'9".  Monk was 6'3".  Monk was an excellent blocker on top of everything else he did.  More of a "do every single WR thing really well" than a one-trick pony.  As you said, perfect compliments.  In a weird way, you could compare them to Keyshawn/Chrebet (only better).  

Greenwich, I agree and would have probably taken Ocho as my WR2 if given that choice.  

There’s a WR still on the board I would back flip to get now as my #2 or 3 if I went that route. Maybe it’s just my age for this opinion. Not sure it’s cool to talk about available players so I’ll leave it at that and bring up if he’s picked or later

Damn, there's one position I am really torn over.  Two guys can fill it.  Both great players but very different.  They would add different elements to my team and blend into the scheme differently.  I want nothing more than to get into a discussion over it with you guys but obviously that's not going to work.  Maybe after the pick.  

You guys have the same struggles as your picks approach?

9 minutes ago, HessStation said:

No no and oh look no

LOL. Here we go. Everybody is going to be in salesman mode now that the teams are starting to shape up. I have no clue how anyone is going to vote for winners and losers later on, but it's not a big deal. It's been fun so far just trying to create a coherent offense and defense while watching guys you want slip through your fingers.

5 minutes ago, HessStation said:

There’s a WR still on the board I would back flip to get now as my #2 or 3 if I went that route. Maybe it’s just my age for this opinion. Not sure it’s cool to talk about available players so I’ll leave it at that and bring up if he’s picked or later

I almost took him but I needed a LT and there was only one left I liked. 

14 minutes ago, HessStation said:

7 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I almost took him but I needed a LT and there was only one left I liked. 

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

You know who I’m talking about? Hmmm

1 minute ago, New York Mick said:

I think I do lol

It's Alex Van Dyke isn't it. 

15 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really like the Leslie O'Neal pick.  These are the types of guys it is nice to revisit.  I really like my Mike Kenn pick, but I doubt I will get any points for him. 

Me too. It was between Humphrey and O’Neil last pick, I sided w the HOFer but it was close.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I really like the Leslie O'Neal pick.  These are the types of guys it is nice to revisit.  I really like my Mike Kenn pick, but I doubt I will get any points for him. 

Me too.

its been cool remembering guys you forgot all about 

Well, I had to pick between Alstott and Chrebet for Tom’s defacto white guy... would have been nice to get both but Hawkeye must have sniffed out intentions.

Also, Ballin nice pick with DeCastro. Was going to be my last pick if he lasted.

Should have been him over Coples that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are at least 4 WRs that I would normally take in a draft like this that are just sitting there.  I would almost never take Julio Jones or Bob Hayes, but I liked the idea of blowing by people and the guys that I really like are not going to get too much respect here.  If I were playing you in Madden I would take them and abuse your Hall of Famers.  *I have not been any good at video games since Madden 98, so this is wishful thinking.  Maybe I could have my godson run my team and then we would crush you!

2 minutes ago, HessStation said:

My guy might not even get taken but was legitimately the second best debatable WR on football for like 3-4 years.

I suspect there are quite a few guys who could fit that description over the past 40 years.  There are 3 on the top of my list of remaining WRs that were awesome for about that long and good for a few more years.  So much so that I suspect my last offensive pick will be that last WR spot.

Archived