Revis officially retires

tfine

5 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Well, I wouldn’t expect the 559 people who like my company on Facebook to love me for it.

Then they are short sighted you can’t have good performance without good people and good people cost good money.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

5 hours ago, Jetmech said:

I was a huge Revis fan and psyched he was brought back but in retrospect it was the wrong move. After the SB win with the pats it should have been over..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I would have been thrilled if the JETS told him GFY, we won't sign you to a one day contract. You can retire as a Pat, Chief etc.

Is it true he held out on his one day contract to retire???

I would have been thrilled if the JETS told him GFY, we won't sign you to a one day contract. You can retire as a Pat, Chief etc.

That would have been golden if he did. He didn't seem genuine at the PC. Again only the Jets...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

There it is.

and as usual you have nothing to counter.  You obviously either didn't watch or forget since it was 10 years ago.  Favre was not good the majority of that season, the injury was an excuse.

21 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Yes.  Have you not seen this movie a dozen times before?

Many people have, none have been able to actually put up an intelligent counter argument.  we have a fanbase that revers Favre and hates players/coaches like revis, Rex, Sanchez, Chad,...

20 hours ago, TeddEY said:

Until that greed has a negative impact on the team, which, it did.

when did it ever have a negative impact on the Jets?

10 hours ago, jgb said:

So does asking for a raise at work. But I’m not going to work for below market value and I doubt you would either.

Just don’t see it that way. Arguments based on “greed” or “fairness” just don’t sway me because they’re entirely subjective to the point of being meaningless since such arguments are usually entirely devoid of context or comparators. Basically they are emotional appeals that are really just personal animus disguised as behavioural disagreement. What makes Steve Jobs a genius and  John Rockefeller a greedy profiteer? Personal taste.

9 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Many people have, none have been able to actually put up an intelligent counter argument.  we have a fanbase that revers Favre and hates players/coaches like revis, Rex, Sanchez, Chad,...

Impossible to beat an argument which at its core is, “I’m right because I say I’m right, which ultimately makes me right.”  Oh, junc, to be as smart as you think you are!

Holdouts hurt the team.  Showing up out of shape hurts the team.  Being traded in your prime because you’re impossible to deal with, financially, hurts the team.  But we’ve been down this road before, no reason to argue, because you’re right because you say your right which ultimately makes you right.

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and as usual you have nothing to counter.  You obviously either didn't watch or forget since it was 10 years ago.  Favre was not good the majority of that season, the injury was an excuse.

When he missed a whole season (during his prime) because he tore his ACL because he missed all of training camp for a hold-out and wasn't ready to play.  When he skewed the salary cap by grabbing every penny he could and then some.  When he ended up on two other teams instead of playing for us because of his constant hold-outs and demands.  Are you sure you were around for all of this?

54 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

and as usual you have nothing to counter.  You obviously either didn't watch...none have been able to actually put up an intelligent counter argument

Still waiting for a single argument that you've taken up across wide breadth of topics and threads that haven't ended in some variation of the above.

∞ - 0 lives on!

40 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Impossible to beat an argument which at its core is, “I’m right because I’m say I’m right, which ultimately makes me right.”  Oh, junc, to be as smart as you think you are!

Holdouts hurt the team.  Showing up out of shape hurts the team.  Being traded in your prime because you’re impossible to deal with, financially, hurts the team.  But we’ve been down this road before, no reason to argue, because you’re right because you say your right which ultimately makes you right.

at no point have you tried to counter anything I wrote.

the only season he showed up out of shape was 2016.

there is a huge difference btw being in shape and being in football game shape and we started 6-1 in 2010 yet lost the division by 3 games.  Please tell me how he hurt the team?

38 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

When he missed a whole season (during his prime) because he tore his ACL because he missed all of training camp for a hold-out and wasn't ready to play.  When he skewed the salary cap by grabbing every penny he could and then some.  When he ended up on two other teams instead of playing for us because of his constant hold-outs and demands.  Are you sure you were around for all of this?

You are mistaken.  He only had one real hold out in 2010, the 2007 "holdout" he was a rookie and unsigned so technically not a hold out.

he got hurt in 2012, there were rumblings he'd hold out but he never did and was playing at a Revis level before the injury so his holdout in 2010 had no bearing on his injury in 2012.

he got what he was worth, what players didn't we sign that we would have? he was the best defensive player in football, it's not like when we gave an average Wayne Chrebet a big contract extension in 2002 then lost Coles b/c of it.

he ended up on 2 other teams b/c of the Jets.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Still waiting for a single argument that you've taken up across wide breadth of topics and threads that haven't ended in some variation of the above.

∞ - 0 lives on!

still waiting for you to ever present an actual argument.

23 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

the only season he showed up out of shape was 2016.

there is a huge difference btw being in shape and being in football game shape and we started 6-1 in 2010 yet lost the division by 3 games.  Please tell me how he hurt the team?

You are mistaken.  He only had one real hold out in 2010, the 2007 "holdout" he was a rookie and unsigned so technically not a hold out.

he got hurt in 2012, there were rumblings he'd hold out but he never did and was playing at a Revis level before the injury so his holdout in 2010 had no bearing on his injury in 2012.

he got what he was worth, what players didn't we sign that we would have? he was the best defensive player in football, it's not like when we gave an average Wayne Chrebet a big contract extension in 2002 then lost Coles b/c of it.

he ended up on 2 other teams b/c of the Jets.

still waiting for you to ever present an actual argument.

I stand corrected.  He only threatened a holdout in 2012 (after holding out for a new contract in 2010 and missing much of camp in 2007) and changed his mind the day before camp.  There were a lot of threats and drama but it didn't cause his injury.  If you can't tell, I'm just sore that he didn't spend his whole career with the Jets and I believe he could have done so while being right around the highest paid player at his position.

43 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That’s because, as an actual smart person as opposed to one who needs to tell people how smart he is, I know enough to not bother getting on this ride again with you.

On 7/24/2018 at 2:01 PM, slats said:

The bold is silliness. 

There are certainly arguments against Revis, the one you've chosen may be the weakest I have ever seen. Sure, there may've been fewer teams back then but there was almost certainly a lot more players not interested in joining the league. You had to really love football back then to be in the NFL because in the offseason you had to get another job to pay your bills. This year, the scrub sitting on the end of the bench will bring in about a half million. The competition to get into the league is much stiffer nowadays because these kids make bank. The result is a league full of bigger, stronger, faster players than back in the 60s. The level of competition was lower, probably by a lot, allowing superior talents like a Gayle Sayers to really jump off the page running past them.  

Thats funny. So going by that argument there were less players interested in playing MLB because you had to work in the off-season as well. Same goes for the NBA and NHL of the time period. With parity being a major problem for the NFL this argument is the weakest of all. With only a handful of teams being perennial contenders it sure seems like more teams has made the talent pool more shallow now than it was then. Sure competition is fierce but there are more universities producing players now than there were then and more roster spots for those players. Most of the guys in the NFL nowadays would not even sniff a roster spot back then. Sure the blueprint for the prototype NFL player has changed but it hasn't improved play around the League. If that was the case you would have more teams contending and teams would be more competitive. The level of competition was higher back then because NO JOB WAS SAFE. You could be replaced very easily and with no NFLPA players had no recourse. This led to players playing hurt and I'm not saying that was a good thing just a fact of life in all professional sports back then. Fear of losing your job is great motivation and these guys lived with that fear every year. Nothing was guaranteed for every player not just the fringe guys like it is today. Its a perspective from a different time but it is a true perspective and one that cannot be discounted.

On 7/24/2018 at 9:11 AM, nyjunc said:

The players today are more talented than ever.  There may be more teams but there are also more good players.

There are 32 teams today, there were 28 from 1976-1994, 30 from 1994-1998, 31 from 1999-2001, 32 2002-current. 

earning 1st team all pro is hard, always has been and always will be.  Only 2 CBs in league history have more 1st team all pro apps. 

we compare players to how they did against their era, Revis was the best of his era and did things no corner has ever done.  It's so incredibly sad that Jet fans look to tear down the greatest player we have ever had.

Dude what you quoted was a direct response to a comparison of two specific players from different eras. An era you left out of your comparison btw. So your saying players from back then weren't talented?

So earning first team all-pro is hard today but in a League with 18 less teams its easier?

Once again the post you quoted was in direct response to another poster comparing one player from an earlier era to one from today's so that bolded sentence is irrelevant to the point. Revis had a nice career. He was a good to great player who played at a high level for some of it. As I have acknowledged I don't think he is a HOF'er but he probably makes it. First ballot? Probably not. He is far from the greatest player the Jets ever had but he is probably the best you remember.

21 hours ago, Bruce Harper said:

I stand corrected.  He only threatened a holdout in 2012 (after holding out for a new contract in 2010 and missing much of camp in 2007) and changed his mind the day before camp.  There were a lot of threats and drama but it didn't cause his injury.  If you can't tell, I'm just sore that he didn't spend his whole career with the Jets and I believe he could have done so while being right around the highest paid player at his position.

I understand, no one wants to see players hold out as it is very frustrating but we need to understand why players do it.  They have a very short amount of time to maximize their on field earnings so I while I don't like it I can't blame a player for doing it.

at some point though we have to get over it and appreciate the greatness we witnessed.  It's very, very rare to see a Jet play at the level Revis played on most of his time here.

21 hours ago, TeddEY said:

That’s because, as an actual smart person as opposed to one who needs to tell people how smart he is, I know enough to not bother getting on this ride again with you.

That's because you have nothing to counter with so you hurl insults to deflect from the discussion but you can tell yourself anything to make you feel better.

14 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

Dude what you quoted was a direct response to a comparison of two specific players from different eras. An era you left out of your comparison btw. So your saying players from back then weren't talented?

So earning first team all-pro is hard today but in a League with 18 less teams its easier?

Once again the post you quoted was in direct response to another poster comparing one player from an earlier era to one from today's so that bolded sentence is irrelevant to the point. Revis had a nice career. He was a good to great player who played at a high level for some of it. As I have acknowledged I don't think he is a HOF'er but he probably makes it. First ballot? Probably not. He is far from the greatest player the Jets ever had but he is probably the best you remember.

more players, more competition for those spots. 

Once again, it's about the eras in which these guys played.  we don't compare Revis directly w/ Night Train Lane, we compare them by what they did against their peers in their era. The avg QB today has #s that blow away  guys like Unitas, you can't compare players of today to the old days.  revis played in an era where all the rules favored the passing games and QBs were/are putting up historical #s b/c of it yet w/ these rules, these QBs and the million great WRs he shut down the best the game had to offer on a weekly basis.  If you cannot appreciate that then that is your problem.

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

As great as Revis was Rex’s blitz schemes helped him tremendously in 2009 and 2010 which were his best years.  Only had to cover guys like Andre, Calvin and Randy Moss for 3-4 seconds per snap

The reason rex's blitzes were effective was b/c of what revis was doing and opposing teams had them figured out probably by mid 2009.  we were not a great pass rushing team and we got sacks b/c of the coverage.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The reason rex's blitzes were effective was b/c of what revis was doing and opposing teams had them figured out probably by mid 2009.  we were not a great pass rushing team and we got sacks b/c of the coverage.

Revis was only covering one receiver what about the other 2-3 WRs + TE + running back?

4 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Revis was only covering one receiver what about the other 2-3 WRs + TE + running back?

That's where the blitzes helped.  when you can count on a guy to remove the other teams top option every play it makes everything else a lot easier.  Notice how Rex's Ds weren't nearly as good post Revis? 

16 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

That's where the blitzes helped.  when you can count on a guy to remove the other teams top option every play it makes everything else a lot easier.  Notice how Rex's Ds weren't nearly as good post Revis? 

Both Revis and Rex were on a downward trajectory while still together. If anything, it was Revis' decline that became even more substantial after they parted ways.

Of course, not that I'm expecting you to have a grasp on reality. After patting yourself on the back for your own arguments as you so love to do, you then base it's supposed legitimacy on countering the endless stream of facts that prove you wrong with claims they mean the opposite of what they actually do, simply because of your own complete fabrications. And round and round we go.

On a side note, crediting a corner with a team's pash rush must be one of the single most idiotic arguments made around these parts in a while, even by junk standards.

13 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Both Revis and Rex were on a downward trajectory while still together. If anything, it was Revis' decline that became even more substantial after they parted ways.

Of course, not that I'm expecting you to have a grasp on reality. After patting yourself on the back for your own arguments as you so love to do, you then base it's supposed legitimacy on countering the endless stream of facts that prove you wrong with claims they mean the opposite of what they actually do, simply because of your own complete fabrications. And round and round we go.

On a side note, crediting a corner with a team's pash rush must be one of the single most idiotic arguments made around these parts in a while, even by junk standards.

Revis was a 1st team all pro post rex and this was after the knee injury. revis' career changed after that injury, he was never the same but he still produced until 2016. Last I checked rex never made the postseason again.

Rex's record w/ Revis 2009-2012: 27-20

Rex's record w/o Revis 2009-20014(w/ Jets): 15-30

I never pat myself on the back, it's folks like you who make me look good b/c your arguments are so easy to destroy.

The Jets didn't have any pass rushers, Revis being able to control half the field made it easier to blitz and take chances which helped the others covering.  if you don't realize that then I can't help you. This was not just a corner, this was the greatest cover corner in the history of the game at his peak.

1 hour ago, nyjunc said:

I understand, no one wants to see players hold out as it is very frustrating but we need to understand why players do it.  They have a very short amount of time to maximize their on field earnings so I while I don't like it I can't blame a player for doing it.

at some point though we have to get over it and appreciate the greatness we witnessed.  It's very, very rare to see a Jet play at the level Revis played on most of his time here.

That's because you have nothing to counter with so you hurl insults to deflect from the discussion but you can tell yourself anything to make you feel better.

more players, more competition for those spots. 

Once again, it's about the eras in which these guys played.  we don't compare Revis directly w/ Night Train Lane, we compare them by what they did against their peers in their era. The avg QB today has #s that blow away  guys like Unitas, you can't compare players of today to the old days.  revis played in an era where all the rules favored the passing games and QBs were/are putting up historical #s b/c of it yet w/ these rules, these QBs and the million great WRs he shut down the best the game had to offer on a weekly basis.  If you cannot appreciate that then that is your problem.

JUNC LOGIC

On 7/25/2018 at 4:45 PM, southparkcpa said:

Wish I could butt fumble the first half of this post and give an LOL for the second 

On 7/18/2018 at 7:42 PM, King P said:

Great player, in his prime he was 2nd only to Primetime as far as coverage skills.

It's funny to see most of our fanbase hate him because he's a great businessman who chose to maximize his earnings as much as possible. But also knowing this fanbase, it's not surprising.

Congrats to Darrelle Revis on a great career

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I was kind of surprised he retired as a Jet considering the bad blood between him and the org over the years. 

Yeah well the professionals understand it’s just business. It’s the fans who react emotionally and talk about him like he is the Dred Pirate Roberts.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Yeah well the professionals understand it’s just business. It’s the fans who react emotionally and talk about him like he is the Dred Pirate Roberts.

Who specifically does not understand that this is a business?

Everyone knows that.  The point is, the way he conducted his business made him more difficult for many fans of the Jets to like.  We root for the team, not Revis's personal fiances.  In a salary capped league, and in a team sport, a number of the things Revis did were not beneficial to what we're actually rooting for.

18 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Who specifically does not understand that this is a business?

Everyone knows that.  The point is, the way he conducted his business made him more difficult for many fans of the Jets to like.  We root for the team, not Revis's personal fiances.  In a salary capped league, and in a team sport, a number of the things Revis did were not beneficial to what we're actually rooting for.

OTOH, none of that changes how good he was between the lines.

36 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Why? He only played one season in Tampa and one for the cheaters

And last year with the Chiefs. Looks he's a Jet as far as I'm concerned but there were issues with management esp when Woody was here. There was bad blood on both sides but I'm glad Revis considers himself a Jet. 

funny how he wanted to retire a Jet. The mercenary suddenly needed a belonging to something. I guess it's natural, but as a player he didn't care what team he played for. Now, as a retiree, he feels the importance of belonging to something other than his bank account.  Kind of reminds me of this life. We spend most of our lives worring about money and hustling for it,  but what really matters is our relationships and loyalties,  but we only realize this much late in life, after we "retire".  

Archived